Nostalgia!!

Back in the mid early 50,s my dad worked for pitt &scott driveing a seddon riged.I would go with him on trips from london down to cornwall delivering belling cookers.After pitt&scott he went back to solly davis who he had previously worked for driveing an old albion with an insullated box.We would load up in convoys yard in deptford with lambs or other meats an go all over the place.After the albion he got an S type bedford with a leyland comet engine also with the box on.I spent many an hour as a kid sitting in that s type waiting for him outside davis,s yard in solbay street,i remember there was a cafe opoisite the yard and a pub on the corner where my dad would go drinking with his mates.The steering wheel on that s type fasinated me as out of the three spokes one was just a metal bar,funny the things you remember even after 50 odd years i still think of these times when i would bunk of school at any opportune moment just to ride in a lorry.I think it was in 1956/7 that there was a big dock strike and my dad gave up lorry driving plus the fact his mate had got killed in a headon crash on davis,s Lenny Hutton who at the time was driving a newish BMC.Still having the passion for lorrys i would go with my cousin teddy britton who had a brand new at the time albion 6 wheeler on bowler brand pottatoes,they had an office in the fruit exchange spittafields.On its very first trip we loaded in the fields then down to cornwall the engine cover in the cab had a big thick diamond padded cover with lots of blankets on it to deadon the noise of the engine.We travelled all through the night and arrived next morning to tip.When we were empty we went to a garage to get the oil changed then picked up a load of heads (cabbages) for kings lynn.On the night we went into digs which was a wooden shed with lots of beds behind the cafe.Ted met some other drivers off g l bakers whome he used to work for and there seemed at that time a great friendship between drivers an this was the life i wanted when i grew up.The years past and i got my licence driving a caravan transporter at an early age for my dad then legally for BRS oxford (sandy lane).I had an old mandator driving to london deliverying witney blankets,I would sell my ropes an sheets to solly davis who by then had moved to wapping and to load back to oxford i would get a container out of lift MAT,s.After losing so many sheets they started seending me north so i jacked in came back to london an went to see solly.He ask me to meet him in wapping and as i waited in the yard off wapping high street he told me my tractor was on its way and i would have to go to fords dagenham on nights,just book in as Larrow transport then hide your self till the morning an book out.The tractor arrived an old red mandator with a tiny nearside mirror that would have been better on a moped! i back it under an old trailer only to find the trailer had no air an rolled back down the street.After getting it all ready i went in the office an asked for a log book only to be told give it a week or so if you think you will like the job we will get you one,i then ask for ropes an sheets to which he replyed we hav,nt painted the names out on them yet and you won,t need ropes just stay out of the way.On the way to dagenham i found out the lorry only had four gears no matter where i looked it just had the four gears an was screeming along at only 40 mph.I did just the one night an jacked in next morning two days later i started on SCA and my faith in a life of lorry driving was restored,there has been many a low time waiting to clear customs breakdowns an things but i still would,nt change this way of life.Sady the characters that were about in them early days don,t seem to exist anymore an the job now is so so different,the commeradery has gone and people just dont seem to have time for anyone no more maybe its me ive got to old i dont know hope i hav,nt bored anyone reading this its a bit of nostalgia from me

Not bored Boyzee, takes me back though.
I never sold anything because tramping all over by myself I needed all the kit I could get. We used to buy stuff though. All my chains and sylvesters came from the yard man at McCall’s in Glasgow. For tenner a full set would be lumped onto the chassis tray while the diesel was going in.
The bad side of the digs has been overplayed a bit too. Sure there were some right tips, but we learned to avoid them, if there was no choice it was cab hotel.
There were many good ones though and the company was often as good as it gets anywhere. I once spent a night in a place in E. Anglia and one of the drivers was one of those who have an inexhaustable supply of hilarious stories and, more important, the way to tell 'em. I think we staggered into bed in the early hours with sides aching, and not just from the gallons of tea we had drunk.
The coming of TV put a bit of a downer on things but as early as the 60s some places had them. I was in digs watching with growing horror on the news the unfolding story of the Aberfan disaster, which was taking place just a few miles away. They were appealing for tipper lorries but we all had loaded flats but would have answered the call immediately if differently equipped.

I know i`m late with this question, soz, but does anbody know if Nick Garlick has published his book yet :question: :question: :confused:

Book!What book?
Don’t hold your breath!

One of the lads on for us (chinky Nev) lent Nick all his old photos about 3 years ago at least & still no sign of said book!

jacko22:
One of the lads on for us (chinky Nev) lent Nick all his old photos about 3 years ago at least & still no sign of said book!

I’ve mentioned on another thread that Nick came to my house twice and I gave him lots of info and pics,also my old mate “Popeye” did the same.That was about 2 years ago,heard nothing since.
Anyway,Truckerash did say that it would be a waste of all that information if it was not used,and he did mention that he may use it as the basis for a book.
So,due to popular demand,(Well,from a couple of you anyway),I’m using my pics and my experiences to write my book.
I know I’ve left it a bit late and I hope I live long enough to finish it.

Thanks for that Bestbooties, by the sound of it you`re book will be finished first,
best put me down for a copy if thats o.k. :laughing:

Just found this amongst my old gear.Who remembers the free map we used to get at Kapicule?

Hi Jacko22, If you still see Chinky Nev, say hello from me will you. Ask him if he’s still got the clog he threw at Peter Lemon, missed and broke a porthole on the Greek ferry, the porthole he swore to the Purser the next morning that a seagull had flown into during the night

Certainly will Archie! the problem with old “Cloggy” is he can’t even remember what time he got up in the morning but will pass on your regards!

I know i`m late with this question, soz, but does anbody know if Nick Garlick has published his book yet

I have just emailed Nick and asked him if the book is ready for print as yet.
He is a mine of information and was very helpfull when I was writing my second book as I got stuck on some routes - which he knew like the back of his hand.

Mothertrucker:

I know i`m late with this question, soz, but does anbody know if Nick Garlick has published his book yet

AND■■?

Mothertrucker wrote:
Quote:

AND■■?

Nice timing : Saved me trawling the net for this thread.
Just received an email from Nick telling me:-

I have put the book writing to one side while I earn a living and look for the inspiration to carry on. Its half done but I have allowed other things to take over. Not good.
It will get finished but people will have to be patient.

So it looks like writers block is catching - thats me and Nick both :unamused: I too am having trouble finding the time to finish Mothertucker 3.
Nick was pleased that folks where showing an interest though.

bestbooties:
Destination,Kuwait.You are not allowed to sleep in your truck in Kuwait,so our address is,The Golden Beach Hotel.

Hiya Since it is a nostalgia site,I presume you drove for Carmens. I used to work for an ex Carmens driver.He used to tell some some spine chilling tales of his trips to the middle east. Apparently he would fly out there sometimes to recover a truck that some poor hapless driver had abandoned. He showed me hios passport and it was as thick as an encyclopedia.Do you know of this guy? His name was Albert and he was crazy bonk bananas.

bigpeter53:

bestbooties:
Hiya Since it is a nostalgia site,I presume you drove for Carmens. I used to work for an ex Carmens driver.He used to tell some some spine chilling tales of his trips to the middle east. Apparently he would fly out there sometimes to recover a truck that some poor hapless driver had abandoned. He showed me hios passport and it was as thick as an encyclopedia.Do you know of this guy? His name was Albert and he was crazy bonk bananas.

Hi bigpeter,
Off the top of my head I can’t remember anyone named Albert,having said that,I was only at Carmans for 2 years,but I spent another 10 years on M/E and again,can’t recall the name ,but it was a looooong time ago.
I did several recovery trips when I was working for other firms.I flew out to Turin to bring home a new F12 when the driver had broken his ankle.
I flew out to Athens to recover an F89 road train abandoned on the Greek/Yugo border after the driver had left it because a trailer wheel bearing had collapsed.
I flew out to Belgrade to pick up the Mack of Chapman and Ball when the driver got injured,I drove down to Saudi,tipped the load and after being out over Christmas I got back home in the New Year.
When doing M/E it didn’t take long to fill a passport,I have 8 of the 94 page type.When you take into account that a Saudi or Iraq visa fills one page,then the entry and exit stamps can fill another one or two pages,it doesn’t take many trips to fill one.

bestbooties:

bigpeter53:

bestbooties:

Hi bigpeter,
Off the top of my head I can’t remember anyone named Albert,having said that,I was only at Carmans for 2 years,but I spent another 10 years on M/E and again,can’t recall the name ,but it was a looooong time ago.
I did several recovery trips when I was working for other firms.I flew out to Turin to bring home a new F12 when the driver had broken his ankle.
I flew out to Athens to recover an F89 road train abandoned on the Greek/Yugo border after the driver had left it because a trailer wheel bearing had collapsed.
I flew out to Belgrade to pick up the Mack of Chapman and Ball when the driver got injured,I drove down to Saudi,tipped the load and after being out over Christmas I got back home in the New Year.
When doing M/E it didn’t take long to fill a passport,I have 8 of the 94 page type.When you take into account that a Saudi or Iraq visa fills one page,then the entry and exit stamps can fill another one or two pages,it doesn’t take many trips to fill one.[/quote

Hiya Mate, Thanks for the reply,If you had knew this bloke,you wouldn’t have forgotten him He was a real character. I think he also worked for PE Blake and Son,but didn’t get on very well with the son Mike, I believe.He lived in Leftwich

Now a bell is starting to ring!
I DID know a bloke called Albert,skinny,old geezer with a 'tache.I’m saying old,this was in the '70’s or’80’s and he must have been pushing 50 then.I never knew him to work for Carmans,but he may have worked for Jenkinsons,(Fridges based in Manchester,took over Chapman and Ball’s fleet when they hit the buffers).
Then I think he went to Blakes of Northwich.
I believe this bloke was possibly a bender,there was a rumour that he shagged an Arab lad down the Middle east,
Is this the same Albert?

bestbooties:
Now a bell is starting to ring!
I DID know a bloke called Albert,skinny,old geezer with a 'tache.I’m saying old,this was in the '70’s or’80’s and he must have been pushing 50 then.I never knew him to work for Carmans,but he may have worked for Jenkinsons,(Fridges based in Manchester,took over Chapman and Ball’s fleet when they hit the buffers).
Then I think he went to Blakes of Northwich.
I believe this bloke was possibly a bender,there was a rumour that he shagged an Arab lad down the Middle east,
Is this the same Albert?

Well I don’t think he was a bender, I worked for him in Runcorn and he had one enormous attribute and he was married with children,I know that doesn’t mean you are not an uphill gardener. He was always messing about with his ‘attribute’ His favourite pranks were to stand with his back to the urinal and ■■■■ through the back and another was to ask you did you want a coffee, put his hand in his pocket and pull out his bell end It was funny the first ten times he did it then… I doubt he was a crafty butcher but he may well have shagged an arab ha ha All in all he weren’t a bad bloke, just a bit of a pain in the arse.No pun intended. I’m sure he recovered a few trucks for Carmans

I have had more jobs than Tommy Docherty.My problem is I cannot KowTow to anyone.I was always brought up to believe that I am no better than anyone else and no one is better than me. I can work hard and I always have,but I just cannot yes sir no sir anyone. I have had some smashing bosses and I have had some of the other kind, In my experience,transport runs itself. When you think about it there is stuff that needs to be taken somewhere,in a safe way. If it is loaded correctly secured and kept dry and delivered on time, to me that aint no rocket science. The trouble starts when you get these so called transport managers,I call them traffic clerks, and their job is just as important as the driver.Unfortunately,some of them have ideas above their station and that is when the trouble starts. I have had some good TM’s who appreciated that you are the vanguard of the company and it is your face the customer sees.They also appreciate that when they are sitting down to dinner with their wives and kids,you are eating in a greasy spoon and trying to keep the ■■■■■’s out of your fuel tank before ‘dossing down’ for the night in your workplace.I bloody hope they are grateful,but are they? I have been looking up the Health and Safety policies of our industry and it is pathetic.Your workplace is where you park or your base.So your truck is not your workplace at all,it is a vehicle.But when it comes to smoking,you are not allowed to smoke in your workplace ie your truck. So the crux is you can get killed in it,and it is a TA but you must not smoke in it.Pathetic.

bigpeter53:
I have had more jobs than Tommy Docherty.My problem is I cannot KowTow to anyone.I was always brought up to believe that I am no better than anyone else and no one is better than me. I can work hard and I always have,but I just cannot yes sir no sir anyone. I have had some smashing bosses and I have had some of the other kind, In my experience,transport runs itself. When you think about it there is stuff that needs to be taken somewhere,in a safe way. If it is loaded correctly secured and kept dry and delivered on time, to me that aint no rocket science. The trouble starts when you get these so called transport managers,I call them traffic clerks, and their job is just as important as the driver.Unfortunately,some of them have ideas above their station and that is when the trouble starts. I have had some good TM’s who appreciated that you are the vanguard of the company and it is your face the customer sees.They also appreciate that when they are sitting down to dinner with their wives and kids,you are eating in a greasy spoon and trying to keep the ■■■■■’s out of your fuel tank before ‘dossing down’ for the night in your workplace.I bloody hope they are grateful,but are they? I have been looking up the Health and Safety policies of our industry and it is pathetic.Your workplace is where you park or your base.So your truck is not your workplace at all,it is a vehicle.But when it comes to smoking,you are not allowed to smoke in your workplace ie your truck. So the crux is you can get killed in it,and it is a RTA but you must not smoke in it.Pathetic.