Nostalgia!!

While working at AMOCO at Cadishead depot we had a driver who always wore his work uniform even when going for a drink in the evening …The story goes that he was drinking in his regular pub in Rixton with some of his friends when they invited him to go with them to a night club in Eccles Manchester He agreed to go but said he would need to change his uniform .They set off and stoped at his house and he went indoors they thought to get out of his work suit …A while later he re - emerged with a clean AMOCO uniform complete with logo on the breast pocket.He was after that alway known as MR AMOCO

LB76:
Just a reminder as it is getting close to the Fridged Freight re-union and get together at the Newark showground on the 28/29 th of May (next week) the same date as the AEC Society rally which is being held at the same venue. See you there .

The AEC was the first truck I drove for Fridged Freight.Got the job through Dinger Bell when I was driving for EES in Germany.Met him at Weisbarden when he phoned Wyatt.Ofered me “Boy” a job a week later I was in Belfast with the AEC then Dublin for a load of beef back to Germany.

First time I have seen that photo. VVF was the only 4 wheeler Volvo on the fleet, and the most nimble. Jim. McCluskey jnr.

YOUNG CHRIS:
talking of nostalgi did any one run into smithfield meat mkt in the 70 one hell of a good place to learn how to reverse an artic with no power steering does it still exist

I had the misfortune of taking Fridged Freights ridged AEC with a trailer into old Covent Garden.

My first visit to Covent Garden would have been 1965 in a Mk 3 AEC Mammoth Major with draw bar EVG 249. I was trailer boy and Jimmy Campbell was the driver. We were early and Jimmy disappeared - I think to the pub. At about 6-00 am I woke, and a Copper was trying to move the the motor. I looked out and we were still surrounded by lorries, porters, and eejits. The policeman couldn’t start it, and no way was I going to show him that the control box was behind him. Soon, Jimmy turned up and as if by magic, the Fruiterer (Ridleys). Soon we were tipped and off to Lockerbie for a load of lambs.
Great days at Fridged Freight. Jim.

Haven’t found a photo of EVG 249 but got this Peter Davies one of EVG 250

Here is the lorry. She had her cab changed in the late 50’s. Jim.

Try this one of the old girl in La Belle France near Menton. With luck you can see the number plate. Jim.

Sorry, just getting the hang of uploading photos.

Hey does anyone remember Webb’s light transport, Mossley.
My dad who recently passed away used to be a driver and I’m trying desperately to find a picture of one of the trucks he used to drive. He started there in April 1972 and worked there for maybe 10 years, I’m not exactly sure.
I’m sure the truck was a Leyland, and pale blue in colour. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nick phoned me a while back and told me he was writing a book, also said i would get a mention, and that he had some photos of my truck when i was on astrans/Asian transport…look forward to the book coming out. :frowning:

bigjoe:
does anyone remember book about middle east drivers called cola cowboys?

i remember reading it as a kid about 20 years ago when my old man bought it for me to keep me quiet in the cab! i also remember some of the subject matter was not really suitable for a young boy but i learnt a lot!!

can’t really remember much about it and if it was a good read or not, in fact i don’t think i managed to finish it ( i was still in single didgits when i read it!!) but i recall it had some top pictures .

I should have a look in the attic tomorrow then because Cola Cowboys is fetching a lot of money on Ebay and other bookselling sites.

I think the nostalgia idea is a good one because my trucking days began with Leyland Mastiffs and F86 Volvos. There was a lot before that and I still learn from the old hands

Kazza68:
Hey does anyone remember Webb’s light transport, Mossley.
My dad who recently passed away used to be a driver and I’m trying desperately to find a picture of one of the trucks he used to drive. He started there in April 1972 and worked there for maybe 10 years, I’m not exactly sure.
I’m sure the truck was a Leyland, and pale blue in colour. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Kazza68. Just come accross your post. If you have had no luck to this request try "Paul Gee’s photo’s"the lads on this site cover a huge area, good luck. Harvey

I used to have Cola Cowboys, but I lent it to Black Billy about 15 years ago and he never gave it back.
If anyone sees him, tell him I want my book back…!!! The last I heard he had a courier firm in the windsor area.
I will have to get another copy I suppose.
I started to write a book and incorporated food in it. Its about my Doha trips and it starts with a Sunday roast at my house, before I ship out, and my favorite meal in each country that we transited on the way.
Ive put some pictures in it too from each country and some old passport pages aswell.
The book so far is really just a skeleton, and I need someone to read what ive done so far, then ask me questions, the answers will then fill out the content of the book, because as you all know, when we start to talk about particular trips, all the memories good and bad come flooding back.

I thought the nostalgia forum would have generated a bit more interest than it has.!
I know that there are plenty of old hands still out there, maybe they aint sure about computers,or mobile phones.
I think that the forum is a great idea, and as I am sitting here in sunny Barbados, loads of old memories are coming back to me, places and names etc. even particular trips. I am going to try and post some of my old pics tomorrow, now that I have joined photobucket. Maybe some of you will recognise some.
GS OVERLAND.
PS Wheres Hooperman■■?

GS OVERLAND:
I thought the nostalgia forum would have generated a bit more interest than it has.!

The reason it seems that way to you, GS, is because people tend to start specific threads when in nostalgic mode, this thread really was just the catalyst.
Plenty of old fogies posting these days, and many more joining in every week. :slight_smile:

Yeah Spardo
Good point.
It must be the Extra Old rum that I had to drink with my grilled fish that made me feel that way.

I met the author of Cola Cowboys when he was on his fact finding trip.I have not read the book,having heard it’s a bit OTT.
I.ve had Nick Garlik at my house twice to collect pics and stories for his book,several other ex M/E drivers have also supplied him with info.I don’t know if I’ll live long enough to see the book.I think he must have enough information to write a book so big it will require some form of mechanical handling to read it!
I did however get an enquiry from a publisher asking permission to use some of my pics displayed on the toprun site,and within a couple of months received a copy of “Baghdad Trucker” hot off the press.
Every M/E driver has a book to write,and everyone would be different,there are so many stories,but it’s a matter of getting it from an idea in your head into print.If you feel you have enough stories and experiences to fill a book but don’t think you have what it takes to put it in writing,you need a ghost writer,or a publisher that can put your experiences down in writing,with the intention of getting it into print.
I have considered writing a book ever since I came off the M/E in '86,but with work and other things,I never had the time.
2 or 3 years ago I saw Ferdy’s advert in Truck and Driver for pics of the M/E and I contacted him and submitted the pics you can now see on his site.

toprun.ch/truck/Mega_Middle-East_Run/

With enough of my pics and stories circulating via other people,I think I’ve saved myself the job of finding a publisher!
However,when corresponding on this BB,I shall no doubt have some long forgotten anecdotes brought to mind that I can pass on to you.

GS OVERLAND:
Yeah Spardo
Good point.
It must be the Extra Old rum that I had to drink with my grilled fish that made me feel that way.

It’s the Eau de Vie (prune, which is French for plum :unamused: ) distilled by Jean-Paul from his rusty Heath Robinson steam engine look-a-like just over the river bridge for me GS. :laughing:
That and the Port and Stilton that visitors bring me from time to time. Stilton is my only concession to the ‘Old Country’. In everything else I am French sufficient. :wink: :laughing:

ive just read baghdad trucker what a great book with excellant photos highly recommended read