Northwest Trucks

Alec:
I remember Robert Walker operating from a very small garage on wythensawe Rd nr the Royal Oak pub, because I lived in the prefabs opposite, they’ve certainly come a long way since those humble beginnings, I think the two Walker brothers married The two daughters of Teddy Broughton from Shady Lane.

Hi Alec
My wedding recpetion was at the Royal Oak Barlow Moor road Chorlton near BEE GEES old house Keppal Rd. It cost a fortune and to this day I keep remminding my wife how lucky she was as it cost £42 and 3 shillings including wedding cake dinner and cars . I think a pint was close to 1 and thrupence.
Honeymoon was a week fly drive from Ringway to Southern Ireland including best range (Hillman minx) cost £19. Them days she thought I was made of money?

Were you living this area or was it near the The Oaks Didsbury area?
I only remember delivering crates to Walkers at Woodley mid 1960s and not sure if the son was called Ernie. They have come on leaps and bounds.
Regards Kev
ps left info on trucknet Air products

A 1959 Thames ET6 Reg No 6437 N, operated by Duncan Foster Ltd bakers, is pictured here outside the bakery on Sidney Street Manchester.

moomooland:
0A 1959 Thames ET6 Reg No 6437 N, operated by Duncan Foster Ltd bakers, is pictured here outside the bakery on Sidney Street Manchester.

Blumming eck, great photo and memories. Late 1950s I worked as a Saturday van lad then driver at Mothers pride Skerton Road Old Trafford. We used to drop off at Duncan and Fosters plus Robinsons All Saints to collect bread and cakes to deliver to some of their distance shops. When Duncan and Fosters closed down they amagamated with Mothers Pride and D&F drivers were given priority on journeys. Early mid 1960s My area started at Stockport Romley Marple New Mills and finished Whalley Bridge Buxton areas but I lost to a Duncan and Foster driver.
One of the Managers at Duncan and Fosters was Bill Holden. His son also was a driver “Frank” and we used to go to Manchester Clubs 1960s. Other drivers I remember was Jeff Boot, excuse for spelling Saul Deahall think was Jewish decent great bloke. Mid 1960s they changed from Thames 4Ds to Custom cabs and a couple of FG threepenny bit cabs.
It looks like an Almonds Bread van of Sharston in front.
Regards Kev

Thanks for the interesting comments above Kev. :slight_smile:

We had this a while back on this thread but thought i would add it again with an updated picture

AEC Mandator Mk.V tractor unit Reg No 396 DUL, operated by Shell Mex and BP Ltd out of Stanlow, is pictured here parked on Radnor Street Hulme Manchester on the 23rd of August 1963.
Most of the area was completely cleared for wholesale redevelopment in the late 1960’s with an Asda store now located adjacent to this location.

Another AEC Mandator Mk.V tractor unit operated by Shell Mex and BP Ltd out of Stanlow is seen here below.
Reg No 345 DUL is coupled to a single axle tanker which if you look closely had an unladen weight of 3 ton 8 cwt.

moomooland:

We had this a while back on this thread but thought i would add it again with an updated picture

AEC Mandator Mk.V tractor unit Reg No 396 DUL, operated by Shell Mex and BP Ltd out of Stanlow, is pictured here parked on Radnor Street Hulme Manchester on the 23rd of August 1963.
Most of the area was completely cleared for wholesale redevelopment in the late 1960’s with an Asda store now located adjacent to this location.

Another AEC Mandator Mk.V tractor unit operated by Shell Mex and BP Ltd out of Stanlow is seen here below.
Reg No 345 DUL is coupled to a single axle tanker which if you look closely had an unladen weight of 3 ton 8 cwt.

When I worked for WJ Brookes Skerton road Old Trafford (Mothers Pride bread) they had Shell Mex BP for Petrol and derv. The next delivery was Arcady Soya Mills photo attached then Boydells plant machinery adjacent to the bakery. Shell Mex BP had a terminal at Carrington not sure if it was part of MOR Manchester Oil Refinery?

Dug a photo out of my cousin and her daughter and her friend as they lived off Radnor street. Radnor Street was quite long in them days but I think Gaysons Garage was situated near Stretford Road end. Most of this area was demolished about early 1960s including Greenheys and most relocated to Wythenshawe. My cousin moved to Vancouver about this time.
I tried to copy a 1930s map to photo but out of my expertise? so please find link and map and Radnor street is in section 3b.
artus-familyhistory.com/Manc … 20Map.html

Cheers Kev

Arcady Skerton Road Old trafford.jpg

kevmorrow:

moomooland:

3AEC Mandator Mk.V tractor unit Reg No 396 DUL, operated by Shell Mex and BP Ltd out of Stanlow, is pictured here parked on Radnor Street Hulme Manchester on the 23rd of August 1963.

When I worked for WJ Brookes Skerton road Old Trafford (Mothers Pride bread) they had Shell Mex BP for Petrol and derv. The next delivery was Arcady Soya Mills photo attached then Boydells plant machinery adjacent to the bakery. Shell Mex BP had a terminal at Carrington not sure if it was part of MOR Manchester Oil Refinery?

Dug a photo out of my cousin and her daughter and her friend as they lived off Radnor street. Radnor Street was quite long in them days but I think Gaysons Garage was situated near Stretford Road end. Most of this area was demolished about early 1960s including Greenheys and most relocated to Wythenshawe. My cousin moved to Vancouver about this time.
I tried to copy a 1930s map to photo but out of my expertise? so please find link and map and Radnor street is in section 3b.
artus-familyhistory.com/Manc … 20Map.html

Cheers Kev

Kev,

Looks as though they are off to Blackpool,buckets and spades and all,although they might be there already,there is a shop selling ROCK on the opposite side of the road!

The Foden picture was taken outside St Margarets church,A56 Altrincham,Cheshire,a favoured photo shoot for both Fodens and ERF’s.

David

Bit of a strange set up this.

At first glance i thought it was an articulated gritter operated by Manchester Corporation but on closer inspection i think it has been removed off another vehicle for transportation as the salt dispenser is not hanging over the rear.

The Leyland Beaver 4x2 tractor unit has ‘Manchester Corporation City Surveyors Department’ on the door.

Allinson Stone from Stockport.

moomooland:
0A 1959 Thames ET6 Reg No 6437 N, operated by Duncan Foster Ltd bakers, is pictured here outside the bakery on Sidney Street Manchester.

It’s now the site of a building which is part of the Metropolitan University of Manchester.

This 1969 registered ERF LV 4x2 tractor unit Reg No VEH 467G was operated by Geoffrey Reyner Ltd.

It is seen here coupled to a four in line trailer with a sheeted load of drums in 1972 while parked in Reyner’s depot which at the time was at Royal Mill Newton Street Droylsden.

This Leyland Comet 4x2 tractor unit Reg No 191 ATB was operated by Millers Motor Services of Wheelton near Chorley.

Registered new in 1959 it was fitted with a Scammell coupling and is seen here after a number of years service with Millers in 1965.

gingerfold:

240 Gardner:
I’ve just come across this nice period photo of a Bolton-based Atki on Flickr:

translode atki black knight by norman finnimore, on Flickr

Does that name on the cab read as J. Peters & Son Ltd, it’s not a Bolton haulier that I recognise from that era.

I found the same image, slightly better quality, also on Flickr.
flickr.com/photos/62532775@N03/28051553130
To me, it reads J.Baxter & son, Bath St. Bolton. :confused:

This Seddon Atkinson 301 Series tractor unit Reg No C936 YRJ, new in August 1985, was operated by East Lancashire Paper Mill of Radcliffe,