Northwest Trucks

newsStralisTractor.jpg

RTG LIGHT HAULAGE WIDNES

931307_664309436917581_1704706036_n.jpg

Edward Allinson of Stockport. Fodens

A02501.JPGJohn Killingbeck of Blackburn.

Lowfield C Series.jpgLong gone Lowfield Distribution of Stakehill Middleton who ran the Sainsburys contract from 1981 to 2001.

A Tanzaro liveried Bedford parked in Ancoats Manchester in 1964 belonging to the drinks manufacturer Jewsbury and Brown of Ardwick.
The company had traded for 138 years before merging with Schweppes in 1964. (Click on picture to view it full size)
Google Street View as it looks today.

moomooland:
John Killingbeck of Blackburn.

Long gone Lowfield Distribution of Stakehill Middleton who ran the Sainsburys contract from 1981 to 2001.

A Tanzaro liveried Bedford parked in Ancoats Manchester in 1964 belonging to the drinks manufacturer Jewsbury and Brown of Ardwick.
The company had traded for 138 years before merging with Schweppes in 1964. (Click on picture to view full size)

Ancoats area. My dad drove for Falks Lighting Company Veritas House Start of Rochdale Road. I worked for Smiths of Eccles Taylor Road Trafford Park and many times worked on contract to Distillers C02 Pollard Street Ancoats.

kevmorrow:
I worked for Smiths of Eccles Taylor Road Trafford Park and many times worked on contract to Distillers C02 Pollard Street Ancoats.

I have quite a number of pictures of Smiths of Eccles can you remember any Reg No’s you drove?

moomooland:
2John Killingbeck of Blackburn.

0Long gone Lowfield Distribution of Stakehill Middleton who ran the Sainsburys contract from 1981 to 2001.

1A Tanzaro liveried Bedford parked in Ancoats Manchester in 1964 belonging to the drinks manufacturer Jewsbury and Brown of Ardwick.
The company had traded for 138 years before merging with Schweppes in 1964. (Click on picture to view it full size)

I well remember the Cotton Tree pub next door to Volmax,frequented by a lot of overnighted drivers,had a great restaurant upstairs back in the 70’s.

David

There ya go Kev, your dad might of driven this. Our kid drove for Falks on Rochdale Road about 1963ish.

aai243.jpg

Regards Steve.

moomooland:

kevmorrow:
I worked for Smiths of Eccles Taylor Road Trafford Park and many times worked on contract to Distillers C02 Pollard Street Ancoats.

I have quite a number of pictures of Smiths of Eccles can you remember any Reg No’s you drove?

Cheers for Smiths of Eccles photos. I worked for them for a short period about 1972 and again 1975. Bet I would have driven the ERF A series in photo? But cannot remember any registrations. They were a good outfit to work for and remember gaffer Sammy Neild. Remember regular pick-ups Cussons Soap works. Constantine Lloyd Machines think Pollard Street area, Kraft Food, Colgate Palmolive. Carborundum T/Park. Smiths Wire Works T/Park.
Co-Op lard works Irlam. GEC but Allen’s Transport had the monopoly. They also did tanker winter Black Oil but I never been fortunate to move any.
Regards KEV

mushroomman:
There ya go Kev, your dad might of driven this. Our kid drove for Falks on Rochdale Road about 1963ish.

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve. What a small World and what a coincidence your brother worked for Falks. I wonder if my dad’s wagon was an Morris FV-series (Series I) 1948–54 but looking at short wheel-base maybe not?. 1953 my dad Ted Morrow left Falks and started work for Urmston Urban District Council. Calling to local shops factories collecting cardboard then bailed up at Empress Street Cornbrook. He drove a large removal type van but not sure of make model.
He died 1960. I believe the FG series came on the market about early 1960s.
Van lad to driver I drove many long nosed Morris petrol and stub nosed Austin’s, Diesel LDs FGs when I worked for WJ Brookes and Sons Mothers Pride Bread Old Trafford.
Regards KEV

Could this be you Kev or would it be to early? 1963. :laughing: :laughing:

HuJ0996.jpg

Stanfield:
Could this be you Kev or would it be to early? 1963. :laughing: :laughing:

I think that this Trader ended its days at Mothers Pride Stoke on Trent bakery. When I started with Rank Hovis McDougall in August 1968 I was based at Almonds Bakery Wythenshawe (all part of the same group) and we supported Stoke bakery with bread. They had a Trader artic which collected loads from Wythenshawe. The one in the photo looks like the trailer has a tail lift, whereas the Stoke trader had to be loaded by hand with trays of bread, and hard work it was to. You started by filling the top of the trailer, one man was balanced on an upturned empty bread tray in one of the lower runners, the man with his feet on the ground passed a tray of bread to his mate in the van, who had his back to the man on the ground, he received the tray of bread above his head (weight 35 lbs) and slid it as far as he could down the van. As each tray butted up against the one in front they were pushed forward until the runner was filled. I’ve seen the two Stoke lads with sweat pouring off them when they’d d finished loading. Imagine getting anyone to do that these days.

Spot on about the tail lift gingerfold

HuJ0995.jpg

This ERF KV four wheeler Reg No BEN 990 was operated by Henry Beetson Ltd waste merchants of Union Street Bury.

Stanfield:

Apart from the tail lift the trailer is a dead ringer for the Stoke bakery one. The “belly” of the trailer also carried trays of bread. Later in my bakery career at Wigan and Chesterfield I had 36 ft and 40 ft trailers, thankfully with tail lifts. They were all single axle trailers, with the axle on the back of the trailer. The 40 footers were animals to reverse.

gingerfold:

Stanfield:

Apart from the tail lift the trailer is a dead ringer for the Stoke bakery one. The “belly” of the trailer also carried trays of bread. Later in my bakery career at Wigan and Chesterfield I had 36 ft and 40 ft trailers, thankfully with tail lifts. They were all single axle trailers, with the axle on the back of the trailer. The 40 footers were animals to reverse.

Thanks for photos plus info John and gingerfold. Sure I pulled this trailer 1972? We also had a couple of BMC rigids with tail-lifts. I started as a Saturday lad 1960, full time van lad 1964 then driver, left 1972.
Remember seeing the Trader tractor unit at Old Trafford, looks like it was registered in the Lancashire area. Quite a few breadvans at Old Trafford had TF reg WTD WTB. Trader could have been based at Old Trafford but this was over 50 years ago. Most bread vans were Morris Austin but mid 60s They had replaced part of fleet with Ford Custom Cabs.
We had two long low loaders at Skerton Road and loaded bogies 18 wire trays X 18 large loaves. The bogies were moved between rear wheel arches, tractor units were two Seddon’s pre 1963, with keen brakes?? 1971 I had covered for our night shift a few times, calling at Champion Stockport, Almonds Wythenshawe, Roberts Bakery Northwich, and Manor Bakeries Stoke. The other trailer served Mothers pride Long lane Liverpool, Guests model bakery Leigh, Harvey’s red seal Wigan and Ben Worley’s (vegit bread) Darwin. 1968 my shop journey was the Peak district New Mills Hayfield Chapel en le Frith Many rare ocasion back load at Landers Chesterfield! areas driving a flat fronted LD then FG threepenny bit Morris. I had a Robinson shop at High Lane near Disley. 1971, Duncan and Fosters Robinsons merged with Skerton Road Bakery and they had priority on Journeys and lost my Peak District round. I was then put as a relief driver, remember two Almond drivers that delivered to Lewis’s Manchester. David who was small and never stopped his pranks, Ernie who was a stock car fanatic. Thanks again for finding true nostalgic info and photos.
Regards KEV