North Africa work

Raji,I used to see these trucks down by Lagought (may be wrong spelling) on way to Tamaressat.This would have been around 1981 time.

Yes you’re right, even the workers are mainly from Laghouat and may be even the whole company was founded there, don’t know if it still operating :neutral_face:

It seems that White Trux did a bit of North Africa too: in this case, Egypt! Robert

Hi Robert did you chew any of these

toureg123:
Hi Robert did you chew any of these

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Actually, I probably did because I had camel-burgers from time to time, as well as camel steaks in Egypt and camel kebabs in Saudi. Robert

Saw this on M20 photos. When I joined Breda Transport in 1998, I was put on these doing Europe for a couple months before they put me on North Africa work with artics. Robert

robert1952:
Saw this on M20 photos. When I joined Breda Transport in 1998, I was put on these doing Europe for a couple months before they put me on North Africa work with artics. Robert

Hiya,

Is that a shortened version of the day cab? Looks “cosy” enough eh…?

Met one of the old Breda drivers this week on the ferry from Cairnryan to Belfast, nice bloke, but he was with the heavy haulage division at the time, whole division was sold to Mammoet some eight odd years ago, he’s still working for them nowadays. Has to keep his spirit up for some six years before he can settle for the pensioner life he told me :sunglasses:

Cheers, Patrick

Hi Robert i had the same type of outfit at BOWKERS but the cab was a volvo,i got used to it and it was ok ,very secure, we had side windows, and the roof had a escape hatch, only problem was if you had to bale out you would probably have broken your legs…

Shame about the diesel on FREGUS spent many weekends on the italy side [BODENACHIA] i did go on the sky lif, just up from the service station, one Sunday and in the village for the usual beer.
I thought about joining BREDA about that time, but went to DENMARK instead to get on Andreas-Andersen. another story

SKI lift,…not skymaybe in the other world

pv83:

robert1952:

Hiya,

Is that a shortened version of the day cab? Looks “cosy” enough eh…?

Met one of the old Breda drivers this week on the ferry from Cairnryan to Belfast, nice bloke, but he was with the heavy haulage division at the time, whole division was sold to Mammoet some eight odd years ago, he’s still working for them nowadays. Has to keep his spirit up for some six years before he can settle for the pensioner life he told me :sunglasses:

Cheers, Patrick

I hated those top-sleepers, especially the ones built on day cabs. I also drove Westermann drawbars, some of which had those. I was jolly glad after a couple of months on Breda to switch to artics on North Africa work, which is what I signed up to do! PS, those DAF drawbars had an awful East-Shift gearbox which was normally reserved for DAF buses - horrible lorries! Here’s a pic of one of the outfits I actually drove. Robert

robert1952:

pv83:

robert1952:

I hated those top-sleepers, especially the ones built on day cabs. I also drove Westermann drawbars, some of which had those. I was jolly glad after a couple of months on Breda to switch to artics on North Africa work, which is what I signed up to do! PS, those DAF drawbars had an awful East-Shift gearbox which was normally reserved for DAF buses - horrible lorries! Here’s a pic of one of the outfits I actually drove. Robert

Yeah, I didn’t fancy them either, but I must admit that I’ve been lucky enough to have driven the normal cabs, even when that meant it was a flat cab, I still prefered those rather then the topsleepers…
Never heard of a East-Shift box, how did that worked then?

Looking closer at the pic, those topsleepers looked allright if they were a drawbar unit eh? Certainly better than the ones used for artics I reckon…

pv83:

robert1952:

pv83:

robert1952:

Yeah, I didn’t fancy them either, but I must admit that I’ve been lucky enough to have driven the normal cabs, even when that meant it was a flat cab, I still prefered those rather then the topsleepers…
Never heard of a East-Shift box, how did that worked then?

Looking closer at the pic, those topsleepers looked allright if they were a drawbar unit eh? Certainly better than the ones used for artics I reckon…

The Easy-Shift was a little stubby lever with four positions in an H-pattern. This was simply a switch which activated the gears, aided by the clutch. It was pretty unforgiving and woe betide you if you attempted to double de-clutch (which for me was entirely habitual - still is!).

As for top-sleeper drawbars: horrible! I drove them on Westermann’s too and if you ever saw one go up in flames like I did, you’d never sleep in one again: the pod just evaporated in seconds!.Robert

This was in the good times,with good friends.

Toetapper on his way hom bottom of Pamplona all nice and shiny.

Cliff luxton:
This was in the good times,with good friends.

Ha! I know some faces there! Here’s a pic on ebay: it’s a Belgian-registered Breda MAN with the Commander cab, I think. We had a Dutch-registered one based in UK, which I did one trip Morocco trip in, whose regular driver was Steve Boulton. Robert

ert58.jpg

Couldn’t be in better company Grandad and Toetapper.

These 2 pictures were published on my Facebook page: Algeria trucks, I made this page in 2013 but i’m not using it anymore, my friend took control of it.

The truck is a locally made SNVI B-260 (Deutz V8 260hp), picture was taken in Adrar, western Algeria, May 1999.

Source

Road to In-Salah, another SNVI B-260, August 1997.

Source

Both of these trucking groups are from El-Oued city, eastern desert border city with Tunisia.

Times they are a-changing! Plenty of Heiploeg used to run into Tangiers, but I’ll bet these remain within the Dutch borders. Robert

r2n58.jpg

They used to take Norwegian prawns down to be shelled and then took them back again.

This is a great thread, keep them coming. I could not image travellling to North Africa today.