Nobody liked the Commer/Dodge Commando?

I just KNEW Deano would come up with the goodies! :sunglasses:

We ran two commandos a seven an half tonner and a sixteen tonner both very quite reliable an comfatable One was always a pig to start though both had Perkins one was ex debenhams the other mayb Woolworths? They did tend to rust a bit round the front seam

I drove a good few of them when on the tippers. They were well suited for quarry work back in the day - light, comfortable, fairly robust (with the right driver) and easily fixed if driven by the wrong driver! :smiley:

There were loads of them in the quarries in this area, the only real competition for 16 tonners was the Leyland Clydesdale - another good quarry wagon. It seemed to be a very personal thing which operators had, there wasn’t much to choose between them…

As said, the old tinworm used to get them across the front fairly quickly. Some operators hid this behind the new Mk2 plastic grill when they were introduced, '82 ish I think?

They were a massive improvement for the driver over the old K1050’s. Two things that are immediately remembered - firstly that you could drive sat properly, not hunched because of the low roof line, and secondly that you could actually have a proper conversation not a shouting match/lip-reading competition if you had a mate for the day :grimacing:

I liked them :slight_smile:

Come to think about it…A local firm, Ray Goudy, still had one on recovery till recently. Last time I saw it was probably during the summer fuelling up at Tescos.
Still see the odd one on Horse Duties!

oiltreader:

teech:
Just remembered. When I worked in Bradford, Leeds council ran Commando refuse lorries badged as Karrier.
Will also try and dig out a photo of the Zagni Asphalt lorry. Forgot to mention it is a 4 wheeler rated at 10 tons and piped for pulling tar boilers one of which was saved by the museum.

Photos here teech
flickriver.com/photos/prese … 181246481/
flickriver.com/photos/14290 … 313555037/
Oily

Yep that’s the one.

teech:
Weren’t they also available with IH engines, or was it Mercedes?

They were available with the Mercedes OM352 six cylinder engine.

dave docwra:

teech:
Weren’t they also available with IH engines, or was it Mercedes?

They were available with the Mercedes OM352 six cylinder engine.

Thought it was summat like that. Cheers

oiltreader:

teech:
Just remembered. When I worked in Bradford, Leeds council ran Commando refuse lorries badged as Karrier.
Will also try and dig out a photo of the Zagni Asphalt lorry. Forgot to mention it is a 4 wheeler rated at 10 tons and piped for pulling tar boilers one of which was saved by the museum.

Photos here teech
flickriver.com/photos/prese … 181246481/
flickriver.com/photos/14290 … 313555037/
Oily

And here it is in service!

We got them but I only recall them as light, four wheel body trucks. Engine options were Perkins or 316cui and 360cui V8 petrol.

Hi All
Nice to drive & easy to work on the only problems we had were on some Courage artic drays that were built to their spec & had all the chassis mounted components (diesel tank, air tanks valves etc ) on the opposite side to standard so all of the fleets fuel tanks were on the same side for re-fuelling. Because of this the dealer kept suppling wrong parts not the lorries fault.
Cheers
Rich

Several od’s running from local quarries had them and they seemed no worse than the other four wheeler tippers available at that time.

Pete.

I seem to recall Rugby cement having some but i could be wrong?

When I was on a TK the firm we subbed for ran Dodges.
One of their lads got a new one with a sleeper conversion fitted, complete with all round curtains and a night heater, luxury in those days. :smiley:
I’d have give my right arm for it at the time compared with the TK.

Took my class 1 in one of them, late 70s. Single axle flat trailer

Here’s Steve Crump’s one from the 3rd page:

DEANB:
They sold a few.

Click on pages twice to read.

TROOPER2:

ERF-NGC-European:
Never drove one myself. They are best remembered I think as lighter weight rigids.
However, and lest we forget, they also came in light artic form:

… And they also came in PCV form:

New to Abbotts of Blackpool in 1955. (now preserved awaiting restoration).

Sorry!
The Abbotts coach isn’t a Commando. It’s a Contender.

Bewick:

Did you like the Dodge Mr Bewick

atlas man:

Bewick:

Did you like the Dodge Mr Bewick

The main reason I bought the Commandos was to carry the lift off 16 ft horse box with the first motor being a second-hand 7:5 ton gvw low mileage one then I replaced this V reg with a new 13ton C reg which had the box transferred to it. Then I bought a new 7:5 ton D reg onto which the box was placed. The 13 tonner was then run as a flat in the fleet but it was never over worked and just was used to do little jobs and urgent flyers mainly hauling machine press rolls from the Paper Mills. I finally replaced this last Commando with a new 17 ton gvw G reg IVECO and a new 25 ft lift off box. Non of these rigids did much mileage so as and when I sold them on they brought excellent money as they were all immaculate. Kept as pets would be a suitable description !! The Commandos all had the 6:354 engine and the two new ones had the 6 speed ZF box and all three had the eaton single drive axles and of course power steering. They were decent motors to drive and never gave any problems !

IMG_0004 (1).jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

Dipster:
I ask as I note it does not seem to get a mention here. Was it no good? I thought Commers were but this post Rootes/Chrysler truck seems ignored. Why?

Never drove one myself. They are best remembered I think as lighter weight rigids.

However, and lest we forget, they also came in light artic form:

That last one looks almost respectable :laughing:

I passed my class 1 in a Dodge Commando ex Silentnight , very easy to drive , there were a few where my dad worked all rigid cable skip lorries which i drove around the yard at an early age , they replaced ex bradford council bin Commers which had been converted to cable skip motors , now they had seen better days