Nights out and tax benefit/relief

So how could a sole trader prove the night out,but hAs no reciepts to show,i;e parked in a layby and cooked in the cab,and any reciepts for parking would have to be handed into the company worked for.

tonyb70:
So how could a sole trader prove the night out,but hAs no reciepts to show,i;e parked in a layby and cooked in the cab,and any reciepts for parking would have to be handed into the company worked for.

Indeed, they would reimburse you for the parking and that’s where it ends. AFAIK don’t even need to show it. Just have a way of marking the income on the bank statement so accountant knows what it is.

Or do you mean you are making a pre-agreed charge (say £27) to the co. you are working for, for a n/o?

it makes no difference whether you’re ltd/sole trader/partnership/or a cooperative.
you are entitled to subsistence living allowance. you can claim prety much any legitimate business expense.
the subsistence living allowance is an amount agreed annually between the RHA, and the tax man. however, you can agree another amount with them. also, there is no upper limit if you enter into international work.
not many accountants have a clue about the haulage industry.
most accountants just smarten up the accounts that you do yourself.

limeyphil:
it makes no difference whether you’re ltd/sole trader/partnership/or a cooperative.
you are entitled to subsistence living allowance. you can claim prety much any legitimate business expense.
the subsistence living allowance is an amount agreed annually between the RHA, and the tax man. however, you can agree another amount with them. also, there is no upper limit if you enter into international work.
not many accountants have a clue about the haulage industry.
most accountants just smarten up the accounts that you do yourself.

Definitive answer at last from someone who really knows what he is talking about.

From what i understand, if your a sole trader you can get reciepts and ofset a portion of them against your tax liability, however if you are a limited company you are entitelled to be paid a night out allowence by the company who is you,sounds daft i know but.
On top of that the inland revenue allow you to claim £28 per night night out allowence, if you dont use the whole amount is irrelevent thats what your entiltelled to, more than £28 and you need reciepts as they consider that to be exessive.
You could be asked to prove your nights out which you would do with your tacho,s but you dont need to prove you spent the money.

If you average 3 nughts a week away at £28 thats £4200 per annum based on a 50 week year, not to be sniffed at really.

Hope that helps a little.

Madguy :imp:

I am a sole trader with my own truck I claim and I do have four notes out a week x 48 weeks @22.50 this I perfectly above board as it is a substistance allowance n I have checked with my local tax office.think about it another way I am a sole trader I cud own two trucks I employ someone to drive my second truck I pay him 22.50 x 4 nights out a week I can claim that back against my tax so y does it matter weather I’m claiming it for myself also! The thing is with accountants is everyone’s accounts are different a pr consultant cud probably claim for xy and z thats related to his specific trade but an accountant mite not no what x y and z is if you can prove u were out 4 nights a week claim it but don’t do what some greedy od done who I no who tried to claim n/o money plus travelling to and from work millage at 40 quid a day

madguy:
From what i understand, if your a sole trader you can get reciepts and ofset a portion of them against your tax liability, however if you are a limited company you are entitelled to be paid a night out allowence by the company who is you,sounds daft i know but.
On top of that the inland revenue allow you to claim £28 per night night out allowence, if you dont use the whole amount is irrelevent thats what your entiltelled to, more than £28 and you need reciepts as they consider that to be exessive.
You could be asked to prove your nights out which you would do with your tacho,s but you dont need to prove you spent the money.

If you average 3 nughts a week away at £28 thats £4200 per annum based on a 50 week year, not to be sniffed at really.

Hope that helps a little.

Madguy :imp:

you’re sort of right.
the subsistence living allowance (night out money), is for several different things. clean bedding, showers, washing, etc.
so if you claim for any of the things that are included, then you could get knocked back. parking isn’t included so claim it anyway.
pety cash is prety good. just vary your pety cash expenses from say £35 to £65 per week for a single director ltd company. don’t go overboard and you’ll be fine.
but as a sole trader, it’s much easier. you don’t need to keep receipts, just fill out your self assesement. turnover, expenses, and how much you lost. putting a decimal point in the wrong place isn’t tax evasion, it’s human error. :wink:

yes thats right folks as my accountant used to put it before i went LTD, as a soletrader i could only claim subsitance but as a ltd i can claim night out money

alix776:
yes thats right folks as my accountant used to put it before i went LTD, as a soletrader i could only claim subsitance but as a ltd i can claim night out money

i hope you got rid of him. :laughing: