Night work.... Pro's and Con's

peirre:
your sexlife will be ok

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Couple of other things to add.

Cons:

Your first night every week will be a real struggle after you’ve been up about 16hrs+

During the summer I used to really struggle when the sun came up. Almost as if my body was saying to me “aha, it’s daylight so it’s time to go to sleep”

During winter you will only see daylight at weekends.

You will lose your friends cos you’re never around when they’ve organised something.

I found that as the week went on I slept progressively longer each day as the week wore on. This lead to the feeling that it was all work and sleep.

If you’re working Monday night to Friday Night you will lose a considerable amount of Saturday.

Unless your partner doesn’t work, or works nights you will only get to see them at weekends.

In winter you can be the first to discover the icey bits.

Pros:

You have the roads to yourself. Not always a good thing though cos an empty motorway does nothing for maintaining concentration levels.

If you finish early enough in order to get up again early enough you will be able to arrange appointments for Doctors, Dentists and the like without having to take a day off.

You’ll get used to the idea of being able to shop in freshly stocked and empty supermarkets.

You’ll earn a little bit more.

No bosses chasing you by phone.

I did it for about 3yrs straight. On balance the cons outweighed the pros for me and I wouldn’t go back to full time nights.
[/list]

Ive been on nights since may.But i’m a yard shunter.So traffic and falling asleep at the wheel won’t affect me.
I do sunday-thursday.
sunday is 23.00-07.30
mon-thursday is 21.30-07.30.

Pros are i spend more time with my family.An hour in the morning and evenings till 9pm.Getting time to go to school things for the kids and generally being home more.

Cons are.Ifeel knackerd most of the weekend.And sunday i’m thinking that ive work to go to that night.and wheter to have a kip around now or not.

The shift that semtex origianally wrote,i would’nt fancy at all.As he’s not home till around lunch time.by then to me it would be the wrong time to be going to bed.especially in the summer when the day is at it’s hottest.

Tony b
Tony b.

Ive done it twice & never again
1st time for 8 months & loved most of it but i was a Transport Supervisor so it were’nt to bad apart from th hour & a half long commute each way.
2nd time locally on class two & I bacame an Insomniac so thats when I decided to go calss one & move on.

The first shift of the week is always the worst your garunteed to be wake all day then all night as you start yr 1st shift
or in my case never sleep again until the night of your ONLY DAY off.

For those that have done day and night shifts - is there any difference between the two in the level of driver concentration or fatigue :question:

fatigue, yes definately!
you only have to look at the statistics regarding drivers falling asleep and running off the road to see this.
apparently between 03.00 and 04.00 are the worst times. I always used to try and have a catnap around this time.

I nearly always travel back on A roads in the early hours , keeps you off the motorway (I hate motorways :laughing: ) and away from the lane drifters and roadworks .
Keeps you awake as there is more to do , junctions , roundabouts , traffic lights , driving through a village or town etc …

Just ran back from Enfield this morning and spent all of 20 minutes on motorway .

Sunday night I had to run down to dunstable and didn’t bother with the motorway at all .

Ive just completed my first night well about 10 hours ago.It was great all the way from northwich to bristol and back.Left the yard at 5.30 in bed for 1.30 :smiley: .It made anice change seeing the matrix sign saying nothing about j8-11 congestion.However there seemed to be a few lane drifters and of course hundreds of double decker trailers going like the clappers :unamused: :unamused:

I’ve been on nights four years on a 4 on 4 off pattern . start at about 2200 finish at about 1000
i choose to leave a management position to become a full time driver due to a young family and a sick wife
i do find i feel very tired at about 0400 but have sorted my route to stay off the m11
i do a regular run from Fradley to London mkts , enfield , harlow ,hatfield ,huntingdon and then peterborough back to fradley all in all about 600 km and 9 hrs driving
i don’t use red bull but do have a can in my bag in case .
i do take a large bottle of watery squash ( 1.5 ltrs ) a large flask of coffee and have found that apples are very good for keeping you awake as they give the body some natural sugar
If you start getting real tired pull in some where can of red bull ( or the supermarket equivalent) then 30 mins on the bunk and your good to go
but dont try to push yourself to far because there is no load or any deadline more important than you getting home to the wife and kids . there are lots of flowers at the side of to many roads for you to risk being anothr one

Great Bear ?

no florette / soleco the salad company just up from great bear
white scannys and logo’d trailers
who you on for

The trials and tribulations of Tradeteam :laughing: , trunking out of Burton .