Night tramping question

I wouldn’t do it for £20 per hour.

[zb] that for a game of soldiers…

eagerbeaver:
I wouldn’t do it for £20 per hour.

[zb] that for a game of soldiers…

Fully agree with you beaver, I couldn’t or wouldn’t do it for any amount of money either.

TiredAndEmotional:

DAF95XF:

Captain Caveman 76:
Try night trunking first, just to see if you can cope with the backwards body clock. Us night drivers are a special breed, not everyone is good enough to join our ranks! :wink:

Not driving trucks now as back on the coaches but I started at 06:15 this morning and clocked out at 15:45 ready for an 00:45 start and an 01:30 pick from Bath to just down the road to Leeds :open_mouth:

So you’ve bagged a day shift and a night shift in the same day… no danger of you being tired,is there? Who do you work for? :open_mouth:

Stop being a hysterical nancy. :unamused:

He’s had the legally required time off and the shifts are in 2 separate days. Nothing wrong with what he’s doing at all, other than the shifts being child sized :laughing:

A.

Adonis.:
Stop being a hysterical nancy. :unamused:

He’s had the legally required time off and the shifts are in 2 separate days. Nothing wrong with what he’s doing at all, other than the shifts being child sized :laughing:

A.

Shifts are only child sized to someone who has to work man sized shifts in order to make a livable wage. He might earn your wages in much less hours as I fully expect.

UKtramp:
Shifts are only child sized to someone who has to work man sized shifts in order to make a livable wage. He might earn your wages in much less hours as I fully expect.

Stop telling lies on forums, you raging fantasist.

A.

I’d do it for the right amount of money, read a lot! But only with an air con pod on the roof. I used to see DHL wagons with pods and curtains closed on the martlesham heath ind est. every time I was delivering to travesty Perkins.

nomiS36:
I’d do it for the right amount of money, read a lot! But only with an air con pod on the roof. I used to see DHL wagons with pods and curtains closed on the martlesham heath ind est. every time I was delivering to travesty Perkins.

Tinkers job, going around like a zombie all week even your time off is ■■■■ because you’re out of sink

Thanks everyone.

I hadn’t considered sleeping in the heat of the day a problem really, I’m pretty good at sleeping when I’m tired and prefer sleeping warm than sleeping cold.

My biggest concern would be the body clock - I do fine with the occasional through the night run, but haven’t ever had to deal with a week of nights then a normal weekend.

dozy:
I’d love to know how you define night tramping , I started at 00.01 this morning and I’m apparently a day shift driver :exclamation: :unamused:
as for struggling to sleep in daytime , I find it the opposite I’m struggling to stay awake , I finished last week one day at 15.00 , just sat back in chair for a minute and woke up as Mrs was ringing at 20.00 wondering why I’d not called her
it’s called the graveyard shift for a reason :exclamation: :exclamation:

Yeh, but if you are prepared to do that at normal rate and say nothing, they don’t have to pay somebody else who is quite rightly) not prepared to do so, the proper rate. :bulb:
It’s called ‘‘Taking advantage’’ :bulb:

I did night tramping for years. Never again. Mind you, if I ever do any tramping again my life has gone wrong somewhere. Been there, done that, earned enough cash to take it easy from now on.

Night tramping has it’s pros and cons just the same as anything else. The cons are big ones though.

The worst one is the noise. I was fortunate enough to work for a company with a large depot network I could sleep in. But even then, some of the depots were just as noisy as sleeping on the road or occasionally, even worse. Things I’ve had to endure over the years include …

Councils cutting that large piece of grass you parked next to. (WTF, it looked lovely and quiet at 4am :astonished: )
Builders pulverising concrete on that building site 50 yards round the corner that you didn’t spot in the dark.
Someone collecting rubbish with a petrol powered hoover on an industrial estate.
Lousy Cat C drivers with no night heaters running their engines in the winter to keep warm on their 45s. (Jeez, get a real license and a proper truck :grimacing: )
People having conversations at the top of their voice 2 yards away from your truck. Even though they can stand anywhere they like, a few feet from your bed is the best spot for them.
Someone from a factory breaking pallets down with a hammer and throwing the wood into a hedge. Nice spot of fly tipping there. Right in sight of factory entrance too. Boss probably can’t be arsed to pay waste collection fee.

I remember a post on here a while ago from a tramper complaining about people being noisy in the services after 9pm. In a round about way that was him saying its perfectly acceptable to make as much noise as you like in the day or before 9pm. If others trampers don’t care about you imagine how the general populace feel. Most won’t even realise you’re asleep.

The second major downside is the heat in the summer. Remember the last time you got in your truck in the middle of summer and it was sweltering hot. Now picture sleeping in it. I remember once lying in bed and the sweat was rolling down my face. It can be torture but you’ll learn to live with it over time.

Add the noise and the heat together and it can make for some rather sleepless days, not good when you’re run to the limit.

On the plus side the roads are quiet. And you should earn more money than being on days. I’d never do it again unless I really needed the money but short term it was ok for me. In the winter it’s much easier coz of the weather.

liveleak.com/view?i=013_1518532705 :wink:

It was a rhetorical question. I do occasionally travel by coach and personally I would be avoiding a company who worked their staff in this manner. Split shifts that see a driver working from am one day into am the next are risking peoples lives through fatigue. Yes he has a break in the middle only 9 hours or so after climbing out of bed. Now I know you’re one of the supertruckers who don’t need any sleep but I’d be very surprised if that fella wasn’t showing signs of fatigue at some point through that latter shift. It’s well known that around 3am is peak time for accidents resulting from fatigue and I’d say your man is a candidate for that.

Captain Caveman 76:
The best bit was, he thought it was the best company in the world because they give him a 17 plate ■■■■■ to drive!

If handing out unused Vulvas doesn’t get bums on seats I don’t know what will :astonished:

Not even free ■■■■■ could make me wear that uniform personally :frowning:

In fairness those types of shifts are reasonably common in the coach industry largely because people want to arrive at sociable times therefore travel at unsociable times - which requires a driver to work those hours.

When I used to do runs from Barcelona the last shift was a killer. You used to take three days to get to Barcelona starting either morning or afternoon then have 27 hours off in Barca and come back on the opposite shift. The morning ones were worse because you started in Barca at 0600, finished in Brive at about 1530, back on at 0100 into Paris and up to Amiens to finish around midday to start again at 2330 that same night.

Same as the skiers. Many times I’ve left a ski resort at 2300 to make a ferry at 0435 then not finishing until 0100. Killers.

As has been said before it’s all perfectly legal to do that…
Oh and it was a lovely hotel room that I spent the day in asleep… :wink:
The company have said it was rare that happens with the scheduling and we actually have over 2 days off now :wink:
Not going to name the company but it’s one of the ones in Somerset who haven’t gone bust :laughing: :laughing:

TiredAndEmotional:
It was a rhetorical question. I do occasionally travel by coach and personally I would be avoiding a company who worked their staff in this manner. Split shifts that see a driver working from am one day into am the next are risking peoples lives through fatigue. Yes he has a break in the middle only 9 hours or so after climbing out of bed. Now I know you’re one of the supertruckers who don’t need any sleep but I’d be very surprised if that fella wasn’t showing signs of fatigue at some point through that latter shift. It’s well known that around 3am is peak time for accidents resulting from fatigue and I’d say your man is a candidate for that. .

A bit like a guy in charge of 44tonnes doing a 15 hour shift and taking 9 hours OFF …not necessarilly all REST and starting the whole process again.
Legal ?.. Yes.
Safe ? … No
Outdated in Century 21?.. Most definitely.

robroy:

TiredAndEmotional:
It was a rhetorical question. I do occasionally travel by coach and personally I would be avoiding a company who worked their staff in this manner. Split shifts that see a driver working from am one day into am the next are risking peoples lives through fatigue. Yes he has a break in the middle only 9 hours or so after climbing out of bed. Now I know you’re one of the supertruckers who don’t need any sleep but I’d be very surprised if that fella wasn’t showing signs of fatigue at some point through that latter shift. It’s well known that around 3am is peak time for accidents resulting from fatigue and I’d say your man is a candidate for that. .

A bit like a guy in charge of 44tonnes doing a 15 hour shift and taking 9 hours OFF …not necessarilly all REST and starting the whole process again.
Legal ?.. Yes.
Safe ? … No
Outdated in Century 21?.. Most definitely.

Bang on with that mate. It’s the heroes though that cause it :angry:

Allowing the planners to bum them senseless, or even worse, ASKING for long shifts so that they can earn some more money because they cannot control their fat arsed wives spending all the cash :grimacing:

OK I should explain in a bit more detail here :wink:
It was a 2 coach and 2 driver job (the other driver being my other half :open_mouth: :laughing: ) BUT we stopped for 45 mins after 2.5 hours driving leaving an hour and half to get to Leeds, where our parking was arranged for the day.
We arrived there at 07:15 or so (tacho on other work) whilst unloading and general passenger fannying about at 07:30 we locked the coaches and walked to our Ibis hotel and stayed at the hotel and went to dinner at the local Wetherspoons at around 21:00 and back to the hotel for a few hours more kip :wink:
Check out at 23:30 for an Uber back to the coach and we did 10/15 minute vehicle check before we got despatched to the pick up point - uni students being what they are…
Another 45 mins on the way back and dropped off and back to the yard and literally told park up and fox trot Oscar home (despite needing washing/cleaning/fuelling)…

Hard work coach driving isn’t it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Oh PS paid straight through from 00:45 Monday morning to 08:30 Tuesday morning :wink:

DAF95XF:
OK I should explain in a bit more detail here :wink:
It was a 2 coach and 2 driver job (the other driver being my other half :open_mouth: :laughing: ) BUT we stopped for 45 mins after 2.5 hours driving leaving an hour and half to get to Leeds, where our parking was arranged for the day.
We arrived there at 07:15 or so (tacho on other work) whilst unloading and general passenger fannying about at 07:30 we locked the coaches and walked to our Ibis hotel and stayed at the hotel and went to dinner at the local Wetherspoons at around 21:00 and back to the hotel for a few hours more kip :wink:
Check out at 23:30 for an Uber back to the coach and we did 10/15 minute vehicle check before we got despatched to the pick up point - uni students being what they are…
Another 45 mins on the way back and dropped off and back to the yard and literally told park up and fox trot Oscar home (despite needing washing/cleaning/fuelling)…

Hard work coach driving isn’t it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Oh PS paid straight through from 00:45 Monday morning to 08:30 Tuesday morning :wink:

You’re a bit late with that info! :grimacing:

Let’s leave out the childish bickering… please.