Night driving

I find deep progressive house music helps with night driving… boom boom boom boom!

I have yet to do a Nightshift driving so I’m not sure how it compares but I did a stint of 12 hour nights in the warehouse earlier in the year and I managed to cope fine so perhaps my experience of being nocturnal can help. It does perhaps depend on your situation though, I have no partner/children so I was able to effectively shift my life around without it affecting anyone else.

A good amount of sleep during the day is key (obvious I know). If I were to finish at 6am and start again at 6pm later that day I would force myself to stay awake untill at least 10am so I could get a good 6 or 7 hours sleep then wake up as close as possible to my shift starting. The earlier you wake up, the more time you will have been awake by the time 2am comes around. Around 2 or 3 am everyone starts to lag, regardless of how well you slept. I found eating something like pasta and vegetables around 10-midnight helped as the energy was released right around when you’d normally start to feel like ■■■■.

Nights are an alien concept to our body clocks and it does take a while to adjust but when you get a rhythm going you should be ok. From experience though I would say don’t rely on power naps, unless you are an hour or two away from finishing. Your body doesn’t begin to fully rest untill a couple of hours into your sleep, so for that 20 minute nap your body and mind are still pretty active. It’ll give you a boost for an hour or so but then the fatigue will hit again and it will be worse than before. Of course it could be completely different whilst driving but I hope this helps in some way.