Newcastle Newbie seeks info / advice etc

I was give duff info from an agency & as such its a non starter.

Recently started for an agency in Newcastle & so far so good. I have work Mon - Fri, 2 days here, 3 days there or a straight 5 days depending. Always thought I`d want to work for a company with steady work, but at the moment this suits as Im experiencing different wagons / trucks, different types of work (pallet / dropside / chilled etc etc). My experiences will hopefully give me an insight into which direction I want to go. I especially like the type of work where you are guaranteed 8 hrs but are finished after 6 1/2 hrs… Onwards…

I HAVE THE NEED FOR A CLASS 2 DRIVER WORKING THIS WEEK ON A CASUAL BASIS IF YOUR INTRESTED?

THIS COULD BECOME FULL TIME IN THE NEAR FUTURE

Sp Logistics
South nelson road ind est
Cramlington
Northumberland NE23 1EG
( Tel: 01670 733334

Might be of some use

Thanks for info. I am aware of SP Logistics, however having recently passed my Class 1 I am really looking in that direction. Currently doing mostly Class 2 work for a Newcastle based agency but Im hoping come the deadline of 10th Sept the market may well open up for me… Doing my final 7hrs with U Get Training (your recommend) on Monday 1st Sept. Noticed Ramage are now looking for Class 1 drivers although Im not sure about them?? Have just spent last 4 days doing multi drop work for Canoute out of Team Valley & that type of work / the way that particular company operates is certainly not for me! Looking for opportunitys… Onwards…

From what I know Ramage is not to bad they have decent kit but suppose it depends which contract you are working on

BM Staffords were looking for a CE night tramper not sure if they have anyone atm they are based Hetten le hole

W Wade might want a driver for short term ( 3 mth approx ) for long term sick cover they runs fridges mainly out of Fowlers

Ramage dont really have set drivers on contract apart from the kent rdc night trampers mostly general haulage . Im on tramping for them but on a rigid and i find them spot on ss long as you doing your job .

Ok, thanks for the info, Im trying to build up a picture with the infomation im getting from different souces. I havent decided whether to approach Ramage & see what theyve got to say (apparently their rates have gone up?), or, carry on as I am doing, Agency work (but its mostly Class 2 & as Ive got my Class 1 licence I want to use it to build up my experience ASAP), or, sit on my hands until the 10th Sept deadline to see if theres any significant impact within the industry that may make it easier for me■■?

Last 7hrs of Drivers CPC completed today, have been told to expect DCPC card by Friday / Saturday at the end of this week. Recommendation for Jason at U Get Training Sunderland (£50) (thanks Animal!). Onwards…

Mark500:
Last 7hrs of Drivers CPC completed today, have been told to expect DCPC card by Friday / Saturday at the end of this week. Recommendation for Jason at U Get Training Sunderland (£50) (thanks Animal!). Onwards…

Finished mine on the sun got card on wed

NP he is a good guy found he know his stuff

Good luck

Been for an interview at Ramage tonight & stopped it after 3/4 mins when told the rate for Class 1 local work is £7 p/h! Complete this well known phrase, you pay peanuts…! No wonder they have a high driver turn over! It won’t be me! Onwards…

Received Drivers CPC Blue card today after completing last module on Monday - 4 days for card to arrive. Good to go now, hoping an opportunity may present itself for a Class 1 job with a “good” company…

Mark500:
Received Drivers CPC Blue card today after completing last module on Monday - 4 days for card to arrive. Good to go now, hoping an opportunity may present itself for a Class 1 job with a “good” company…

how come you need to do a 35hour course when your a newley passed driver unless you have passed your car test before 1997 therefore you have a 7 half tonne added to your licence if not you will only have to do a mod 2 then a mod 4

Yes passed test prior to 1997. Have not therefore had to do Modules 2 / 4 etc as “Grandfather rights”. Thats how it works. Done ADR (21 hours towards CPC) & then x2 7 hour CPC Modules gives me the full whack!

Mark500:
Yes passed test prior to 1997. Have not therefore had to do Modules 2 / 4 etc as “Grandfather rights”. Thats how it works. Done ADR (21 hours towards CPC) & then x2 7 hour CPC Modules gives me the full whack!

okay pal hope for the best to you i have passed my class 2 nearly a
month ago i have my mod 2 booked for the 10th hope to do class 1 end of this year and get a job out of it

Started my first Class 1 job today for Pollocks running out of Blyth (R8) as a day driver. We shall see how it goes, if it doesn’t work out for whatever reason there is always the agency to fall back on. Onwards to gaining experience…

Are you still working for Pollock m8 and what they like was asked to fill a application form in by them said the drops were paper mills up Scotland sounded canny

Hi Mark, firstly I’d like to wish you the best of luck for tomorrow. I start my training with TTS on Wednesday and that’s 5 days with the exam/test a week on Tuesday. I did have an assessment with Tyne wear but wanted to learn using a geared vehicle. After that assessment they also informed me it would have been 5 days. Just a bit concerned that somethings not quite right with regards to the 7 days you have been told to do.

As long as you get through thats the main thing I guess.

Good luck this week