Newcastle Newbie seeks info / advice etc

I found Tyne&wear spot on too done mine in 5 days or 4.5 if splitting hairs but had drove 7.5 for years …Did you have any training by old Tommy what a legend he is told me I would pass no bother and I did 2 minors. Examiner was ken nice bloke ex owner driver. .

Tommy took me for my last 3 days incl test, couldnt fault him, TOP MAN, aswell as my first instructor Colin.

Good idea to get C+E done now! I left it 16 months, and it was amazing how many bad habits I’d picked up.

anders66:
I found Tyne&wear spot on too done mine in 5 days or 4.5 if splitting hairs but had drove 7.5 for years …Did you have any training by old Tommy what a legend he is told me I would pass no bother and I did 2 minors. Examiner was ken nice bloke ex owner driver. .

Ken is now retired tok early due to ill health but is doing well

I had Mike for part of my Cat C it was him who got me through

Informed today that I am now ADR qualified in all classes. :slight_smile: Still awaiting my licence from DVLA & then once received onto booking my Cat C / Class 1 while the previous training is still fresh in the mind. Only 7 hours CPC training to do (28/35 currently). Onwards…

After applying for approx 8 jobs ( a mixture of agency & direct) over the last week, I have today been for an interview via their inhouse agency dept at Simpson Brothers Logistics (Birtley) & I start on Monday! Looking to gain a bit of experience before I take my C+E / Class 1 ASAP. :smiley:

Mark500:
After applying for approx 8 jobs ( a mixture of agency & direct) over the last week, I have today been for an interview via their inhouse agency dept at Simpson Brothers Logistics (Birtley) & I start on Monday! Looking to gain a bit of experience before I take my C+E / Class 1 ASAP. :smiley:

Mark be very careful mate I went for a job with these and it turns out you are self employed. Also I have heard from several different companies that Simpsons are struggling badly could be bs but seems funny to be told by different companies. But best of luck mate .

Anders, I took the PAYE option opposed to the self employed option. Yard was really busy when I was there for approx 1 hour. Gaining experience with no strings is the attraction for me. Received my licence back from DVLA today so onwards to book my Class 1 test drive & lessons with Tyne & Wear & then the driving options door really opens up…

Mark500:
Informed today that I am now ADR qualified in all classes.

where did you do your training?

I did mine with Tyneside Training Services (TTS), Tyne & Wear do it also, as do some training providers.

Hey up Mark, congratulations, so far very good, well done.

You’re going about this absolutely right, straight for the artic licence ASAP.

Once you’ve got a few months under your belt so a future employer can see you’re not going to wrap the thing round a lamp post, then i suspect your Dad’s contacts having been on the tanks will work wonders.

Proper tankers companies don’t want tear arses, so nice and steady does it, perfect your lorry handling mate so when you get assessed you show a smooth competent safe drive. My experience of tanks, and previously transporters, has shown me they want people who can drive a lorry and follow proper loading/unloading procedures, and have their wits about them, they don’t get all het up over missing a bloody tick box on a vehicle walk around check sheet like the logistics crews.

Juddian,
Thanks for the advice / wise words of experience, I`ll bear them in mind. Nice & steady for me, get the qualifications I need & the experience the industry demands. Ive been subscribed to various job websites / monotoring agency work / opportunitys since taking my voluntary redundancy 2.5 months ago so I have a good idea whats out there & what is required to get there. I have a clear plan of my pathway ahead…Hopefully!

Well Im now into my 3rd week of, as I see it, gaining valuable experience in the industry as a newbie. Currently doing some in-house (what a good idea!) agency work for PalletForce & DSV out of Simpson Bros yard at the Birtley / Chester-Le -Street border. Recently bought myself a TomTom Pro 5150 Truck Nav & its been invaluable - shopped around & bought it from a place in Devon £45 cheaper than Halfords. The work Im doing is local pallet drops which Im quite enjoying as its completely different to what I was doing workwise the last 20+ years, although I have to be honest & say Im knackered when I get in & the order of the day is a can of RedBull! Im sure I`ll get used to it. Ive got my Class 1 assessment drive next monday & then a few weeks after onto my Class 1 course & hopefully my full licence & then the door will open wider. Im constantly scanning the job vacancy market to see whats out there but I think at the moment Im just going to hang fire & do what Im doing until hopefully gaining my full licence & then start to apply for full time jobs. My agency work is currently a means to a end with the flexibility to accomodate my Class 1 course. At the moment Im doing 2/3 days a week with the “promise” of moving onto a 4 day a week next week (I take it once the company has sussed me out & realise Im not going to wrap vehicle around a lampost etc - I would do the same in their shoes, you dont want to be employing idiots if you can help it!). Currently on £8.50 ph (alot less than what I was previously used to, but as Ive said a means to an end…) + expenses ie: mileage to & from place of work & a daily meal allowance (£5 / £10). All in all it is what it is & I shall be treating it as a gaining experience exercise.

£8.50 dont expect much more mind even on Cat CE up here ok there are some who do pay better but be careful

Class 1 assessment drive tomorrow at Tyne & Wear.

Best of luck mark hope all goes well mate im on cpc course this week peed off bout that and dreading truck when back next mon but will be straight in office if ■■■■ tip lol

how much did that cost you im going with rics in horden

Depends on how many days Im “assessed” as needing to pass test. Must admit, looking back I probably did approx 1 day to much on my Class 2, however, I taper that with being fortunate enough to pass 1st time around. If I had the choice to pass 1st time with having an extra days training I would take that knowing I wouldnt be required to re-sit. We shall see what happens…
Had a nice win on Germany winning the World Cup & so thats my course paid for!

Mark500:
Depends on how many days Im “assessed” as needing to pass test. Must admit, looking back I probably did approx 1 day to much on my Class 2, however, I taper that with being fortunate enough to pass 1st time around. If I had the choice to pass 1st time with having an extra days training I would take that knowing I wouldnt be required to re-sit. We shall see what happens…
Had a nice win on Germany winning the World Cup & so thats my course paid for!

they were the better team and thats good i have had to save up ages for this hope i dont fail. i would be gutterd it’s alot off money…

Class 1 assessment done - 6 days total incl test. Start 01 Aug. Moving Onwards…