Newbie Hello, and request for advice

Hi all,

Peter, Many thanks again for the offer I do really appreciate your time and knowledge and I thank you for it.
I am coming to the end of year 2 with the OU. It is pretty heavy going as it is a Business Degree, but I have so far remained sane even by currently working a ten hour day as a CNC Turner.

trevHCS, Many thanks for that explanation. To me it makes perfect sense and explains the situation better than I have found online.

It confirms what I was told by the company I was leaning towards. Many thanks.

So tomorrow I will be looking to book my medical (will be after christmas now but no hurry, post is going to be rammed and DVLA shut).
Get my D2 filled out ready.

Get provisional and then soon as possible my theories booked and done.

Then we are go for launch as they say.

Going to be an exciting 2016, will keep everyone posted as to my progress.

Many thanks again to all who have contributed to this thread.

A very happy holiday to you all and best wishes for 2016.

See you all soon.

Rich.

Hi Evil8Beezle,

Your post was added as I was writing my last so just spotted it.

Many thanks for the link.

Yes ADR could be a handy qualification to add. Thanks.

Rich.

One other point which I don’t think anyone has mentioned on this thread - the Mod 2 & 4 route is tested, whereas the 35 hours periodic training is “attendance-only”. Basically, if you choose the second option, it might take up a bit more of your time, but you cannot fail it - all you have to do is turn up.

You might also be able to do your 35 hours periodic training before even starting your LGV course if you like, as your C1 grandfather rights would allow you to get a DCPC without waiting. However, it would be a good idea to at least have an assessment drive (for which you will need to have done your D4 medical and got a provisional licence) before committing to too much expenditure.

Hi all,

Not updated this thread in a while due to the holiday break and all the delays that causes.

Anyhoo,
Contacted Doctor to book medical ‘before Christmas’ and have only now, today got an appointment for next Wednesday.
So things have started to move at last. I have the forms (D4) for the medical to take along.

Just a question regarding the bit on the D4 form that I have to fill in, it says “Date when first licensed to drive a lorry and/or bus”

Now as I passed my car test in 1987, do I put the date that is next to my Cat C1 / C1E in this box? so 17-08-87 ?

Also, the medical includes eyesight requirements. The Doctor I guess can do this as he does Medicals (my personal doctor is doing it) but would it help if I took along my last three opticians appointment prescriptions that show my eye performance?

I was thinking that this might be a good idea. Oh, and I don’t wear glasses for anything, even driving at the moment.

Thanks

Rich.

Now as I passed my car test in 1987, do I put the date that is next to my Cat C1 / C1E in this box? so 17-08-87 ?

Yes but it wouldn’t make any difference.

Also, the medical includes eyesight requirements. The Doctor I guess can do this as he does Medicals (my personal doctor is doing it) but would it help if I took along my last three opticians appointment prescriptions that show my eye performance?

I was thinking that this might be a good idea. Oh, and I don’t wear glasses for anything, even driving at the moment.

You only need an up to date optician’s prescription if you wear glasses/lenses. So nothing to worry about there.

Make sure you apply for CAT C provisional and you may as well tick CAT D provisional as well. No cost.

You will need to complete driver cpc. You can do this as soon as you like as you hold C1. You can also get credits from your CAT C driver training if your chosen trainer is approved for this. An alternative is to complete initial driver cpc by means of Mod 2 and Mod 4 but there are delays with this and it’s generally accepted that it’s better to do the 35hrs periodic training.

Good luck with it all, Pete :laughing: :laughing: