New Zealand trucking

eagerbeaver:
Still not sure on which visa I would potentially come out on though?

Hey Beaver,

What Andy said about a tourist visa could work, that would give you three months before it runs out to find work if I’m not mistaken. I came out on an IEP visa which it’s possible to get before your 36th birthday (so up to the age of 35). You can only get this through a company called Bunac. Because they have a monopoly on this it means it costs around three times that of a regular working holiday visa (because they force you to buy a holiday package with it) which you can grab up to the age of 30. I also didn’t have to get a medical or a police certificate to get my visa but this is all dependant on your own personal circumstances I guess and something definitely worth checking up on.

Then you will have to convert your license to the equivalent NZ license before you will be allowed to work.

nzta.govt.nz/driver-licence … r-licence/

Above link should cover everything you need to know about converting your license.

nedincredible:

eagerbeaver:

Hey Beaver,

What Andy said about a tourist visa could work, that would give you three months before it runs out to find work if I’m not mistaken. I came out on an IEP visa which it’s possible to get before your 36th birthday (so up to the age of 35). You can only get this through a company called Bunac. Because they have a monopoly on this it means it costs around three times that of a regular working holiday visa (because they force you to buy a holiday package with it) which you can grab up to the age of 30. I also didn’t have to get a medical or a police certificate to get my visa but this is all dependant on your own personal circumstances I guess and something definitely worth checking up on.

Then you will have to convert your license to the equivalent NZ license before you will be allowed to work.

Above link should cover everything you need to know about converting your license.

Thanks for all the help fella’s. I have experienced 45 summers & winters sadly, so the under 30 thing is a distant memory :laughing: (A bit like my 6 pack and knob length :blush: )

Plenty food for thought…getting a bit sick of Englandski/Britistan.

I hear that.
Went back a couple of years ago for a holiday and was hit full on by 10 years of unchecked immigration, cant say I like what has happened.
When I left, most people were like “ugh… what do you want to go there for?” and now, even my own family admit I was right.
Dont be put off by bumps in the road, they are put there so the feckless give up. Nothing good is ever easy.

I knew a bloke from Wigan who got permanent residence and he was 55 with four kids.
Life is a lot simpler here. Its up to the individual to work out if its any better.

For example, didgi tachos■■? NZ still uses log books…PAPER LOGBOOKS.

eagerbeaver:

nedincredible:

eagerbeaver:

Hey Beaver,

Thanks for all the help fella’s. I have experienced 45 summers & winters sadly, so the under 30 thing is a distant memory :laughing: (A bit like my 6 pack and knob length :blush: )

Plenty food for thought…getting a bit sick of Englandski/Britistan.

I find myself reading this thread with interest, I agree with beaver, sick of how the industry is going DOWNHILL FAST together with Englandski…
I’m particularly interested in the cost of living & equivalent wages in NZ compared to here & also where in NZ would you say get’s the most sunshine??
Thanks.

I’ve done a ’ bit ’ of research on the subject of living costs Sweet Truck, and it appears to be roughly similar. Maybe a tad more expensive like for like, but not by much. Climates seem to differ a little between North and South Island’s too.

What does concern me though is reports of 15 hour days being ’ the norm ’ :open_mouth: I have a really good job here in Warrington, but I am sick to the back teeth of the way the UK is, it’s getting worse year by year :neutral_face:

Well I had a bit of a depressing plane ride home over Christmas & New Year but it appears I have accumulated enough immigration points to apply for permanent residency after doing an EOI (Expression Of Interest) online. It’s certainly something to think about for the future and goes to show that it’s not totally impossible to move to NZ. However, IMO although NZ is a great lifestyle destination the wages aren’t that appealing compared to the cost of living. Obviously it depends on what you’re looking for out of life but it just wasn’t quite right for me at this moment in time.

Duck:
Well I had a bit of a depressing plane ride home over Christmas & New Year but it appears I have accumulated enough immigration points to apply for permanent residency after doing an EOI (Expression Of Interest) online. It’s certainly something to think about for the future and goes to show that it’s not totally impossible to move to NZ. However, IMO although NZ is a great lifestyle destination the wages aren’t that appealing compared to the cost of living. Obviously it depends on what you’re looking for out of life but it just wasn’t quite right for me at this moment in time.

That’s a shame mate,
Out if curiosity what are average wages for either local day work or distance??
I’ve been looking (briefly) & it’s been quite negative regarding relocating until now so that’s why it caught my attention.
Personally I’m 47, single & financially secure, however that last thing I want to do is get on a plane & find out the £££ is ■■■■■ even though the lifestyle is great.
Incidentally I’ve also got my ADT (moxy ticket) but again I believe that is poorly paid too…
Cheers.

Well, I was looking at $1000-1200 a week in the hand at Tranzcarr in Auckland for heavy haulage work and maybe a touch more at Titan cranes in Wellington as a mobile operator.
Last time I was in NZ it was something like $19 a hour flat rate at Wetherells and max hours. Run up to your 70 (and some more) 24hrs. off and then back on it chasing a boat.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79277

That might sound ok for some but I’ve managed to find a niche market in Europe with heavy crane work and SPMT operation and can earn big money on fixed term contracts but it means being away from home for weeks or months at a time. However, there is a reward at the end of it which makes it worthwhile in my case but everyone is different.
Who’s to say NZ isn’t for you??

AndieHyde:
I hear that.
Went back a couple of years ago for a holiday and was hit full on by 10 years of unchecked immigration, cant say I like what has happened.
When I left, most people were like “ugh… what do you want to go there for?” and now, even my own family admit I was right.
Dont be put off by bumps in the road, they are put there so the feckless give up. Nothing good is ever easy.

I knew a bloke from Wigan who got permanent residence and he was 55 with four kids.
Life is a lot simpler here. Its up to the individual to work out if its any better.

For example, didgi tachos■■? NZ still uses log books…PAPER LOGBOOKS.

Sounds like a really good go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and it sounds as if NZ has got themselves a pretty good stable honest driver.

eagerbeaver:
I’ve done a ’ bit ’ of research on the subject of living costs Sweet Truck, and it appears to be roughly similar. Maybe a tad more expensive like for like, but not by much. Climates seem to differ a little between North and South Island’s too.

What does concern me though is reports of 15 hour days being ’ the norm ’ :open_mouth: I have a really good job here in Warrington, but I am sick to the back teeth of the way the UK is, it’s getting worse year by year :neutral_face:

EB,
Google “Agri Contractors NZ” as they take on UK guys on temp work permits for grass silage season.
They use rigid tipper trucks and pup trailers there,
Might be a way to work then have Busman’s holiday and look about.
“John Austin”/ “Rabco Ag Ltd” and
“Quigley Contracts” are three spring to mind.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:

eagerbeaver:

EB,
Google “Agri Contractors NZ” as they take on UK guys on temp work permits for grass silage season.

Thanks very much for that pal :wink:

eagerbeaver:

Big Truck:

eagerbeaver:

EB,

Thanks very much for that pal :wink:

“Finch Contracting” are another one.

“Rabco Ag Ltd” had a DVD out couple of yrs ago made by some Irish lads might be worth googling for it to see the craic.[emoji106]

Hi guys. Looking for a bit help here,I’ve been in calgary since 2004 driving trucks a bit of everything but on decks for the last 7years. Looking to go try nz end of this year just for around 6months initially. 46 yo driving 22 years and time served diesel mechanic but not done that job full time for a while,how could I go about doing this if it’s possible? I’m single no kids and my property will be looked after if I go,any help on the visa front will be much appreciated. Thanks

■■ 02:
Hi guys. Looking for a bit help here,I’ve been in calgary since 2004 driving trucks a bit of everything but on decks for the last 7years. Looking to go try nz end of this year just for around 6months initially. 46 yo driving 22 years and time served diesel mechanic but not done that job full time for a while,how could I go about doing this if it’s possible? I’m single no kids and my property will be looked after if I go,any help on the visa front will be much appreciated. Thanks

For 6months best bet is to contact those Agri Contractors I mentioned above.

They’d be wild keen on a mechanic and busy time would start early Oct so gives you a head start.[emoji6]

Thanks for that will look them up,just starting to look at the visa options it looks straight forward enough. I came over from Scotland and got citizenship here years ago but do like the look of nz at that time of year anyways,cheers

RB84:
Being nosy ORC you say your driving heavy machinery i take it that’s mobile plant?
i’m just curious really as i’m sure when i did my 360 excavator training they said the qualifications (CPCS) were recognized over in NZ? Just wondering if this is actually the case?

I’m also looking into doing 360 excavator training, just emailed a couple of companies about training courses etc…is it easy to find work once you’ve passed the 360 test and got your card or do companies ask for a few years experience?

■■ 02:
Thanks for that will look them up,just starting to look at the visa options it looks straight forward enough. I came over from Scotland and got citizenship here years ago but do like the look of nz at that time of year anyways,cheers

Look those NZ Contractors up on Facebook,
They near all have a presence there and reg post up videos/employment opportunities etc.

Due to preparation of my next worldwide trucking immigration exploration mission I’m after some info on my next victim - New Zealand, so bringing up this topic…

So far research have revealed that trucking visas are open again and that recruitment missionaries hired by Kiwis which were sent to UK were after NZ Bidvest HINO nontacho fleet for 2 year slavery contracts via third party agency…

I’m mainly after very specific answer - do they actually ask to show valid ticket back out of NZ upon entering it for reconnaissance mission under visitor visa ?

Any other up to date info is also welcome.
Haters of our affairs are welcome to ban,hide,delete,spam,comment… :slight_smile:

You will need to find an employer willing to pay the salary that immigration require to have any success.

You could try looking for an Accredited Employer who can pay a lesser salary but still have to structure that over a 40 hour week, so is still more than most employers pay. Its bloody hard even as a Class 1 driver (NZ Class 5) to find a job especially if you are looking at relocating permanently. What part of the industry are you looking at?

If you are looking for a 12 month role only then go for it, you shouldn’t have too much trouble and you won’t be limited by immigration salary requirements, but you will have to leave the country for 12 months before you can go back (if that has any bearing at all).

As far as a visitor visa is concerned you only need to have a return flight booked as far as I know.

Have you been to NZ before?

The airline won’t let you board without an onward/return flight booked, unless you can show them a visa that allows you to stay in NZ.

I wasn’t aware that truck driver had been added back to the skills shortage list yet. There are proposals to regionalise the skills shortage lists which might make it easier to get in, but they’re only proposals at this stage.

Accredited Employer is definitely the way to go right now I believe. Get to the NZ immigration website, pull up the list online and search for companies in the transport sector. Make a list, find their depots on Google, get on over here, hire a car and go door knocking. If you’re presentable and your face fits then you’re likely to land a job without too much trouble.

Incidentally, forget Mainfreight even though they’re big. Although they’re accredited their drivers are all owner drivers and they don’t employ any direct.

Forget DHL too, they don’t run a fleet here, just warehousing from what I can gather.

Bidvest are rigid local delivery trucks only, no class 5 vehicles at all. The linehaul work is done by other established NZ haulage operators.