New to store deliveries

Winseer:
When pushing a dolly stack out the back, it can trip over the lip of a poor dock leveller, and you’ve got fruit, meat, etc all over the floor. Not good.
Delivering to a store for the first time that’s clearly old and knackered therefore stresses me about, but as with all things - one man’s meat is another man’s poison.

Certainly my poison, can’t stand store deliveries, especially to places like tesco. Guaranteed the back door person is an zb!

Winseer:
Urban trailers are a joy to drive - but need extra care when coupling imo.

Pita to reverse, 13m are easier…

Herongate:
Before you start to unload the cages, lower the cab suspension down so the trailer is sitting flat or slightly angled down at the front - otherwise, when you release the straps / restraining bars, all the cages will roll out the back and straight off the tail-lift…!!

^^^^ this ^^^ flying cages not funny

Daytrunker:

Herongate:
Before you start to unload the cages, lower the cab suspension down so the trailer is sitting flat or slightly angled down at the front - otherwise, when you release the straps / restraining bars, all the cages will roll out the back and straight off the tail-lift…!!

^^^^ this ^^^ flying cages not funny

Yes it is when you destroy over £300 worth of stock in 1 hit, I’m laughing, look…:laughing::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sod’s law says that when you do this, the gaffers and anyone else of importance will be watching from the canteen window. They’ll never actaully be on duty during a tip, the management - right?

The cage that falls off the end is “deluxe truffles” all in glass jars.

In theory, the damage from losing just one cage can have the firm not being able to afford stationary for a year! :open_mouth:
…At least they would not be able to write you a sacking letter, let alone print you out a fresh P45!

mick.mh2racing:
Supermarket stuff was my first class 1 job, there were loads of places I went where I’d cringe at how tight the yards were. The thing that got me through was they had deliveries there that day and every day and every other driver managed to get in so I could too. Some were difficult and made me sweat but I got in and I always and still do feel it was an excellent grounding in manoevering.
Hang in there mate, you’ll be fine.

Yeap , lost my virginity the same way doing agency runs for Somerfield . Some tight spots to be sure but as Mick posted the stores get deliveries on a daily basis so you’ll not be the first driver sweating to get in there , it can be done .

The likes of Sainbury’s & Tesco give you risk assessments including how to manoeuvre in the yard, but don’t take them as gospel. I have seen drivers blindly follow risk assessments and get themselves in a pickle… when delivering to a store for the first time always scope the yard out for yourself before driving through the gate and committing yourself. Do it your way. Supermarkets love clogging ‘designated turning circles’ up with empty cages and various other crap, there are quite a number where I opt to reverse in off the road rather than screw the trailer around harshly. Then again i’m just the milk man so don’t suppose anyones watching.

First of all thanks to everyone for the tips, Jobs done and have to say it where simples. They give basic maps and even a flight plan into the the store so it couldn’t of been easier.
I’ll look forward to doing it next time instead of stressing

Cheers

Knew you’d be OK. :wink:

Trolley:

ORC:
Anyone deliver to Sainsburys in Chesham? Reversing sideways off a two lane main road with a brick wall right in the place you want the truck to be. How on earth is that done?

Looks pretty simple to me. There’s a gate in and a gate out.

Drive in then hard right and stick your front end out of the out gate… You’ll be mire or less straight back.

it does look " pretty simple " but the first time I delivered there it took me about 6 shunts to get on the dock,not as " pretty simple " as it looks.Or it could be that I’m just a ■■■■■■ driver. :laughing: