New KFC delivery partner DHL does not deliver [Merged]

Oh dear. Someone’s head will have rolled over this fiasco no doubt.

I bet the Bidvest management team were wetting themselves laughing watching the sorry saga unfold. Hopefully they will have been able to force a significant rate increase through to teach KFC a lesson.

pierrot 14:

The Sarge:
KFC in partial return to ex-distributor Bidvest - BBC News

Good news for Bidvest…

Apart from their employees that they have already laid off !

They’ll probably just re-employ ‘em and let them keep any redundancy payment…they’ve done that before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was Bidvest I would now hammer KFC on the rates …

raymundo:

They will have to. They will have paid out thousands in redundancy payments and now they will have to re-employ the same drivers. Someone will have to pay that and that someone is KFC.

raymundo:

+1 teach them a valuable lesson, you get what you pay for.

Bidvest have moved up the pecking order…

simcor:

Knowing how DHL work I very much doubt it, seems as though if you are a manager and screw up, you get promoted.

OK, lets be brutally honest here, as professional drivers we all know that DHL do not have a a clue how to fix this.

neilp1982:

simcor:

Knowing how DHL work I very much doubt it, seems as though if you are a manager and screw up, you get promoted.

Not so much a promotion with DHL, its normally a sideways move onto another contract…all hush hush if you are a divisional manager / director…

Thats what ive seen in the last 10 years or so working with them :open_mouth:

Very rare that anybody actually loses their job …

Surely DHL will have to pay a pretty hefty sum to KFC for breach of contract or loss of earnings. Reports said kfc we’re loosing a millions pounds a day in revenue, not to mention all the staff they had to lay off.

Bidvest bosses must have a grin from ear to to ear, couldn’t have gone much better for them really.

Lesson to be learned, don’t go with the cheapest quote, it’s cheap for a reason.

109LWB:
Surely DHL will have to pay a pretty hefty sum to KFC for breach of contract or loss of earnings. Reports said kfc we’re loosing a millions pounds a day in revenue, not to mention all the staff they had to lay off.

Bidvest bosses must have a grin from ear to to ear, couldn’t have gone much better for them really.

Lesson to be learned, don’t go with the cheapest quote, it’s cheap for a reason.

But KFC are surely not purely victims?
A company shouldn’t just give a contract to a supplier without ensuring themselves that the new company is capable of fulfilling it’s promises. So, maybe managers at KFC are worried too?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

KFC employees wouldn’t be laid off, the majority of KFC. Burger King. Mac Donald’s. Subway outlets are franchised and staff are on zero hour contracts. Bidvest will have got the % they originally asked for and the DHL manager will be heading to sunnier climes with a company car, house and a 2 year contract, all tax free.

well…well…well Bidfest rules the roost once again…showing DHL how it should be done.

Looks like someone Chickened out great news for Bidfest…not so great for DHL as they would have spent a vast sum of money trying to get things right…maybe new contracts theyre gonna have to pay for for breaking them…KFC are back on track…tbf…i never use em…

Article says it’s only “the north of the UK” going back to Bidvest.
Still an interesting development though. I guess both sides must have agreed to back out (of the DHL deal), otherwise it wouldn’t be legally possible, would it?

pierrot 14:

The Sarge:
KFC in partial return to ex-distributor Bidvest - BBC News

Good news for Bidvest…

Apart from their employees that they have already laid off !

They have offered all the laid off drivers their bs back

Cosmic:
Article says it’s only “the north of the UK” going back to Bidvest.
Still an interesting development though. I guess both sides must have agreed to back out (of the DHL deal), otherwise it wouldn’t be legally possible, would it?

Article also says up to 350 stores.

I imagine that KFC can’t just pull out of the deal with DHL within the terms that were agreed I assume. Hence taking part of the distribution back on but not all if it.

But not all of it.

Franglais:

109LWB:

But KFC are surely not purely victims?
A company shouldn’t just give a contract to a supplier without ensuring themselves that the new company is capable of fulfilling it’s promises. So, maybe managers at KFC are worried too?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

But isn’t that the general idea, that suits hand over operations to other suits working for the contractor (and washing their hands of the responsibility), and yet somehow manage to keep the jobs and the perks they’ve just given away :laughing:

If i was a big time investor in a retail or other operation, i’d be rather more concerned about my managers allowing other pretent managers to ■■■■ my money up the wall without a by your leave, which some of these large logistics mobs can do in spectacular fashion.

Allowing some pointy shoe’d sales bod to sell one a product, whatever it may be, without exercising due dilligence that what you are to receive is what said sales bod promised, is a bit silly.
I’d be worried if i’d not done my homework and allowed this to happen.

It is kinda funny when it happens though.

We had this sort of thing happen on the cars but usually £ signs were going round in the clients eyes like some cartoon character blinding them to the bloody obvious.
Say company A (who i happened to work for at the time) carried out reliable distribution of a prestige make for £X per car nationwide, and along comes Joe Soap offering to halve, yes halve the rate :unamused: , you’d bloody wonder how they could do it wouldn’t you, well you would Franglais and most lorry drivers here would too cos you’ve got some common bloody sense between the ears, a bloody sight more apparently than some of these suits on megasalaries.
You don’t distribute nationwide these prestige makes in 11 car loads, A because you can’t get 11 on cos too big, B because the dealers don’t have high volumes, so you might have up to 5 drops across a large area for a 7 or 8 vehicle load, hence why it was a high unit load cost in the first place…durr :laughing:

:bulb: you made a profit on the stock transfers and exports where it was one drop (and generally motorway/dual carriageway work so trees weren’t an issue), and accepted the losses that inevitably happened on retail distribution, i suspect 50% man got carried away thinking he could do the impossible (the green death way, who also got their fingers burned trying this sector) and didn’t factor in the realities of the product, large and relatively low sales.

However the contract was awarded to 50% man, and within weeks we were sub contracting lots of work back off 50% mob but at our normal rate, in other words at our normal rate which 50% man was having to make up, because amazingly seeing as their fleet wasn’t up to the job they couldn’t cope…well who’d a thunk it.
Yes they went bust about 12 months later, never to be heard of again, and yes we got the contract back at proper rates, which is a bit of deja-vu for this case :laughing: