New Job & Telematics

Well I put everything into action yesterday that you guys advised…I must admit I think I found myself watching rev counter and pressing the exhaust brake more than I did watching the road .

Believe me I didn’t realise how much of a waster I was of fuel but using your advice yesterday did seem to make a more progressive drive. What I’m going to do is ask the TM to check my telematics results for yesterday and compare with same journey earlier this week. Hopefully results should be markedly better using your advice.

Thanks again guys…will update further when I get the results.

Mucker1:
Well I put everything into action yesterday that you guys advised…I must admit I think I found myself watching rev counter and pressing the exhaust brake more than I did watching the road .

Believe me I didn’t realise how much of a waster I was of fuel but using your advice yesterday did seem to make a more progressive drive. What I’m going to do is ask the TM to check my telematics results for yesterday and compare with same journey earlier this week. Hopefully results should be markedly better using your advice.

Thanks again guys…will update further when I get the results.

don’t worry about the revs, as long as your in man and using the exhaust break you’ll be ok, the only time I watch the revs is Man change down going up hill, the 1st down change is at 1300 then just as I hit 50mph I drop again each time i’m just on the edge of the green. you’ll get the hang of it

We’re told to…

Coast the last 0.5 miles to a junction, this help as the Actros’ have “eco roll” on them so you’ll only lose 10mph depending on gradient.

Turn off the engine at traffic lights that take a long time to change, roadworks, heavy traffic, level crossings and when shutting the barn doors. Also turn engine off when doing walk round checks and don’t idle the truck to build up air when coupling up as soon as you can release the brakes get moving.

Our telemetry wants you in cruise control in top gear so as soon as your in 12th use it. I use mine a lot anyway.

Ours looks for harsh acceleration, you have to tickle it up to 56 to get top scores, it also measures time spent at or above 95% depression of accelerator pedal so never go down to the kick down click on an auto.

Look forward to doing lonnnngggg hours, I used to do it, driving like a girl all week, got to number 2 in the chart but was doing 81/82/83hrs a week, now I’m about middle of the chart doing 70ish hrs on a 6 day week

bald bloke:

fleettraineruk:
Dont idle, turn off as often as you reasonably can, saves a lot of fuel
Use the Auto setting for normal running, this will allow you to coast, saves fuel
light and progressive braking/accelerator, saves fuel/wear and tear
Give loads of space between you and the front vehicle, prevents wear and tear/fuel/stress
Use accelerator sense, saves wear and tear/fuel/stress
Plan ahead to keep moving at round abouts/traffic lights etc
Dont speed
Read the wagon manual

Theres lots more but some to get you started

This ^^^ sums it up pretty well, also try and use your retarder when slowing down or on approach to roundabouts or junctions.
All they are asking is for you to drive nice and steady so it’s no big deal really.

Thats strange we both drive for the same firm but at different sites, but we’re told under not circumstances to use the retarder as it wastes fuel.

NewLad:

bald bloke:

fleettraineruk:
Use the Auto setting for normal running, this will allow you to coast, saves fuel
Give loads of space between you and the front vehicle, prevents wear and tear/fuel/stress
Dont speed
Read the wagon manual

This ^^^ sums it up pretty well, also try and use your retarder when slowing down or on approach to roundabouts or junctions.
All they are asking is for you to drive nice and steady so it’s no big deal really.

Thats strange we both drive for the same firm but at different sites, but we’re told under not circumstances to use the retarder as it wastes fuel.

sits on mine all the way down telegraph hill never had a problem helps prevent break fade

Juddian:
You’ve got someone justifying their non job there Mucker, company has spent thousands on this system so some jobsworth has got the task of making sure that waste of money (sorry investment) justifies itself…it won’t but that won’t stop them trying.
These systems are cobblers.

+1

Mucker1:
My previous company was more interested in getting the job done in the fastest possible time, therefore fuel economy and telematics weren’t even mentioned in the yard if at all.

Sounds like my ideal employer:)

Well I’ve got another 2 runs down to Manchester from the North East …tomorrow and fri so I’ll drive same way as I did the last couple of days and see if can improve. Managed to check my last week score and was let down by idling 74%.

NewLad:

bald bloke:

fleettraineruk:
Dont speed
Read the wagon manual

Do they mean retarder or engine/exhaust brake?

The engine can’t burn fuel if you are using the exhaust/engine brake…because there is none going into the engine.Modern diesel engines use no fuel at all in ‘overrun’ conditions (throttle closed, momentum turning engine).

The retarder will waste fuel if you still have it applied when you accelerate again because it’s part of the transmission…but most are actuated by the brake pedal, and you just have the option to de-activate them via a switch. So unless you are driving with your right foot on both pedals this can’t happen!

Mucker1:
Well I’ve got another 2 runs down to Manchester from the North East …tomorrow and fri so I’ll drive same way as I did the last couple of days and see if can improve. Managed to check my last week score and was let down by idling 74%.

So how did it go ■■?

GasGas:

NewLad:

bald bloke:

fleettraineruk:
Dont speed
Read the wagon manual

Do they mean retarder or engine/exhaust brake?

The engine can’t burn fuel if you are using the exhaust/engine brake…because there is none going into the engine.Modern diesel engines use no fuel at all in ‘overrun’ conditions (throttle closed, momentum turning engine).

The retarder will waste fuel if you still have it applied when you accelerate again because it’s part of the transmission…but most are actuated by the brake pedal, and you just have the option to de-activate them via a switch. So unless you are driving with your right foot on both pedals this can’t happen!

It’s on the new Actros, it’s on th right hand stalk, I assume it’s because it will give an over rev reading on the scores.

Anyway I’ve been using it recently and if anything, fuel figures have been marginally better than normal, although isotrack scores are well down.

I couldn’t care less to be honest, I don’t waste fuel needlessly, if parked up in traffic I’ll turn her off, getting out to open doors I turn her off, hooking her up to a trailer she stays ON

I don’t see the point in not using a retarder/exhaust brake, just because it confuses the driver scores when it’s actually saving money!

Hi guys…after following all the great advice on here I saw my last weeks telematics results…,…moved up from 20th out of 25 drivers on previous weeks telematics score to 9th of 25 on this weeks results.

Thanks again guys…just shows you can teach an old dog new tricks…and as I’m an agency driver it’s good to show the TM that some of us do take pride in our jobs.

Mucker1:
Hi guys…after following all the great advice on here I saw my last weeks telematics results…,…moved up from 20th out of 25 drivers on previous weeks telematics score to 9th of 25 on this weeks results.

Thanks again guys…just shows you can teach an old dog new tricks…and as I’m an agency driver it’s good to show the TM that some of us do take pride in our jobs.

give it a few weeks an you’ll be in the top 3 :sunglasses:

NewLad:
It’s on the new Actros, it’s on th right hand stalk, I assume it’s because it will give an over rev reading on the scores.

It won’t. It shouldn’t anyway. We use Fleetboard and I downshift to 2000rpm+ every time I need to slow down and my engine operation score is at 98%.

Mercedes themselves recommend high revs whilst down shifting to fully utilise the exhaust brake and as such any Mercedes telematics reflect this. Any over revving picked up by the system is when the driver is holding on to gears too long whilst upshifting.

the maoster:
Mercedes themselves recommend high revs whilst down shifting to fully utilise the exhaust brake and as such any Mercedes telematics reflect this. Any over revving picked up by the system is when the driver is holding on to gears too long whilst upshifting.

Yep, that’s exactly how our Actros’s work. Any telematics that punishes engine brake use isn’t worth ■■■■.

We have the Fleetboard on our trucks but we’re also hooked up to isotrack and according to our trainer (who often talks out of his rear end) we shouldn’t use the exhaust break under any circumstances.

i’d imagine that your trainer also teaches DCPC to you lads also. :imp: