New HOS.

Nope. I’ve now been sitting at home since about 16:00 last Friday. Today is Thursday and I could now just do one day and start another reset tomorrow afternoon at 16:00 because 168 will have elapsed from the start of my last reset last Friday until 16:00 tomorrow.
This new reset nonsense will mainly affect those on long haul who only actually have 36 hours off. If you have two full days off, which will often equate to 60 hours in that if you have Saturday and Sunday off every week, you’ll probably finished Friday afternoon and have the remainder of that day off, and then start at whatever time on Monday morning. If you’re doing a job like that it’ll never matter. All this is aimed at is stopping those tramping around on long haul from getting on and making the most of their time away, instead of acting like Americans who don’t want to work and would rather spend 30 minutes jackknife parking in poxy Pilot’s every day after 8 hours driving.

I’m Canada only, so it doesn’t effect me one bit :sunglasses:

The 168hr rule means that you cannot have a reset until 7 days after the start of your previous reset. In effect this means if you work Mon - Sat and start your reset at 7pm on Saturday, you can start at 5am on Monday and then this sets the pattern for your resets from that moment on, any time off before the end of the 168hrs will not restart the clock, but it will allow you to recap and 34/36hrs will effectively be the same thing as a reset as you won’t bump into the 70th hour in 8 days if you’re having time off before the next allowable reset :bulb:

One big problem I can see is that the 1am to 5am part of the resets will put a lot of drivers on the road at the same time (5am) and they’ll all be parking, or trying to, at the same time, the truckstops will be very busy at 7pm from now on :cry:

The really stupid part of all this is that the previous rules worked very well, the new rules are just ridiculous and the type of thing that could only be dreamed up by someone who has no idea of how the real world works :unamused:

newmercman:

The 168hr rule means that you cannot have a reset until 7 days after the start of your previous reset. In effect this means if you work Mon - Sat and start your reset at 7pm on Saturday, you can start at 5am on Monday and then this sets the pattern for your resets from that moment on, any time off before the end of the 168hrs will not restart the clock, but it will allow you to recap and 34/36hrs will effectively be the same thing as a reset as you won’t bump into the 70th hour in 8 days if you’re having time off before the next allowable reset :bulb:

One big problem I can see is that the 1am to 5am part of the resets will put a lot of drivers on the road at the same time (5am) and they’ll all be parking, or trying to, at the same time, the truckstops will be very busy at 7pm from now on :cry:

The really stupid part of all this is that the previous rules worked very well, the new rules are just ridiculous and the type of thing that could only be dreamed up by someone who has no idea of how the real world works :unamused:

Well said.

I start a new job next week that’s almost always weekends off so hopefully shouldn’t cause me too much trouble either.

You can bring the reset foreward for the following week though ! Even if you are not allowed a reset untill 168 hours after the start of the previous one, you can go on rest as many days as you want before the permitted reset and so long as you stay on rest up to and past the required reset the start time for the next reset can then start at 168 hours after you started the new rest period.
I finished duty on Weds night at 19.00 and had 39 hours and 45 minutes rest including the required 1.00am to 5.00am next day but still not permitted as a reset… how stupid is that law ? … My point being that if I had not started again yesterday to go and pick up my next load and had stayed off duty from weds till sun after 5.00am I woud then be able to start my next reset on weds night because that was the start of my previous reset …
… Confused yet ?

On my way down to NYC to load my next delivery (sunday at 23.00) my manager called and asked if I could do a preload for him before loading my load ? I told him no, because if I get delayed and don’t get home by 1.00am saturday I will not be able to start again till monday at 5.00am.

Pat Hasler:
On my way down to NYC to load my next delivery (sunday at 23.00) my manager called and asked if I could do a preload for him before loading my load ? I told him no, because if I get delayed and don’t get home by 1.00am saturday I will not be able to start again till monday at 5.00am.

You seem to be on a very good number by American standards but you don’t half work some odd hours. I think these new regulations could affect your work more than the vast majority of other people, which is ironic considering your firm is so by the book with everything compared to most.

It’s already messing things up with guys weekend rotas Robin, some of the guys hired after me were taken on with the understanding they would work every second weekend, so their resets are usually going to be from Monday 01.00 to Tuesday 05.00. When it comes to taking their weekend off it will mean Saturday, Sunday, Monday and then Tuesday morning… How long before they srart trying to cut the minimum weekly pay ?
It will not effect me yet … I am usually home by Friday evening but if I am later than 01.00 Saturday it will screw things up. … If it comes to telling me I will have to change and work weekends it will mean a parting of the waves.

Hey Robin, so if i see that blue freightliner in ME, NH or MA it won’t be you driving ?
Will you be down this way or is the new job Canada only ?

Charles

newmercman:

A little peev of mine are the weigh stations that are not open at night and could let trucks in to break instead of haveing a barrier at the entrance. The one at Kittery ME can park quite a few trucks and was accessible at night but now they have gates on it that are closed when they don’t want to weigh you. It seems to me they’re going about this arsebackwards, telling drivers they have to stop then closeing places they could stop instead of makeing more space available.

Charles

remy:
Hey Robin, so if i see that blue freightliner in ME, NH or MA it won’t be you driving ?
Will you be down this way or is the new job Canada only ?

Charles

I’m no longer in the blue freightliner with the stripes on the side. I’ll now be in a Jolly Farmer hideous looking Kenworth T600 anteater. Most weeks I’ll be going down to PA or NJ, sometimes twice a week so the chances of spotting me will be much greater, though all their trucks look pretty much the same and they have no name or markings on the trailers so you’ve usually gone by them before you’ve had time to notice.

remy:
A little peev of mine are the weigh stations that are not open at night and could let trucks in to break instead of haveing a barrier at the entrance. The one at Kittery ME can park quite a few trucks and was accessible at night but now they have gates on it that are closed when they don’t want to weigh you. It seems to me they’re going about this arsebackwards, telling drivers they have to stop then closeing places they could stop instead of makeing more space available.

Charles

Its no different to Europe, its just another small way in which they can help create the problem that they then turn around and claim that they need to tackle.

To be fair, the new HOS rules are the result of court case brought by one of those " truck are evil" group.

Shortcut:
To be fair, the new HOS rules are the result of court case brought by one of those " truck are evil" group.

I matters not who thought them up … you only have to look at the 168 hour rule to see it is supidity :laughing:
One good thing about elogs is that at ant time I can go to ‘view hour’ and see exactly when I should take a 30 minute break by and the exact minimum start and finish of te 34 hour break for the following week … still complete poop though.

I have discovered if i have a 36 reset in Canada under Canadian Rules, and when I cross the USA border change it to USA new rules, my Computer programme will let me have reset at anytime in the USA.

I have no idea if it’s legal but ‘Computer Says Yes’ and it accepts it as a ‘legal reset’ (on total USA rules it wouldn’t accept a reset before 168 hrs had gone since the start of my last reset) so it must be! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

PS. I use ‘Drivers Daily Log’ programme

Ours is ‘Peoplenet’, I now am very glad we have it, especially with this stupid new law, I can check anytime to see what I have before the 30 minute break is needed and also when the start and end of my 34 hour reset is due. I don’t know how crossing the border works now ? It used to automaticaly give me an extra 2 hours driving.

contractdriver:
So if only 160 hours have passed since the BEGINNING of your last reset, and you need to reset again… you will have to add the missing 8 hours to make a total of 168 hours… American 34 hours will be 42 hours off or add an extra 6 for the Canadian 36 hours which would be 42 off also… before you can begin with a clean 70 hour slate again.

Bugger me, EU rules and WTD may not be that bad after all.

Hi colonial chaps btw :slight_smile:

DearBoy:
Bugger me, EU rules and WTD may not be that bad after all.

Oh no matter the current developments in the US, its still nowhere near as bad as EU tacho regs and the WTD. In my opinion at least.

Pat Hasler:
Ours is ‘Peoplenet’, I now am very glad we have it, especially with this stupid new law, I can check anytime to see what I have before the 30 minute break is needed and also when the start and end of my 34 hour reset is due. I don’t know how crossing the border works now ? It used to automaticaly give me an extra 2 hours driving.

Nothing has changed. Peoplenet still switches over automatically and gives you the extra 2 hours driving when crossing the border.
And if you cross into Canada before you’ve been on-duty for 8 hours you won’t have to take the 30 min break. But you do have to keep this in mind if you cross back into the US so you don’t end up with a violation because you didn’t have the 30 min break after 8 hours on-duty as soon as you cross.

Do e-logs change from the US to Canadian hours automatically via gps or do you have to manually tell it that you’ve crossed the border?

robinhood_1984:
Do e-logs change from the US to Canadian hours automatically via gps or do you have to manually tell it that you’ve crossed the border?

Last time I crossed it changed exactly as I crossed the line, it screwed me up when I came back once, having used one hour and 58 minutes of my extra two hours, I crossed the line to find my log in violation :laughing: I stopped right there, logged out and drove half a mile to that little truck stop at the first exit on I-87.