New Drivers training! who should pay?

bullitt:
In 1980 aged 18 I was put through the Young Drivers Training Scheme by my then employer. The scheme was run by the Road Transport Industry Training board (R.T.I.T.B) The thinking behind it was to encourage young drivers to enter the road transport industry early without haveing to wait until they were 21 to get a licence. By that age, many young people would have served an apprenticeship, got involved in another career or just changed their minds and lost interest in the idea!

The deal was that my employer paid for me to do the course (6 weeks residential in Devizes, ALL aspects of the transport industry covered) then if you passed the course then you were entitled to take a Class 3 licence at a minimum age of 18. I could then drive for my employer only, until I was 21. Then the licence was mine and I could drive else where.

He got a driver for 3 years and I recieved some good quality training and a Class 3 licence (and valuable driving experience) without haveing to wait until I was 21!!

Dont know if the scheme is still in operation now but ,if there is a driver shortage,then surely it would be a good idea to re-start it and encourage young people into the Industry early.

Bullitt.

Hey Bullitt,

I was another Young Drivers candidate, passed my test at 18 too, though six years later than you. The scheme is still running, but now when you pass at 18 you get to drive eight leggers instead of the class three rigids we were stuck with for the first twelve months (in my case a tired old Albion Clydesdale). As you said it’s the ideal way into road transport - I couldn’t wait to get behind the wheel of a truck, and the training I received ensured that I took the job seriously and tried to do it right. From talking with teenagers who are on the scheme now it seems like there are a number of grants to be had, so the employer doesn’t even have to wear the expense - definitely a way forward for our industry.

Craig

Glad to hear it`s still going, maybe it should be publicised abit more!!

Yes the training was very good,roping and sheeting, drivers hours legislation, vehicle construction regs, vehicle mechanics, international transport paper work, you name it and if it involved the road transport industry it was covered!! Alot of class room work but it all came together when you started actually driving.

It also has the added bonus of giving somebody some all important early “driving experience”. I was fortunate to do mine with a company which used to do a fair bit of European work and went “solo” abroad for the first time aged 19 and was driving 18 metre drawbars arouind Europe at 21!! All this helped me get various other jobs later on.

Shame not to many people know about it!!

Bullitt.

bullitt:
Glad to hear it`s still going, maybe it should be publicised abit more!!

We regularly include stuff about the Y.D.S in Truck & Driver. Got a feature on an 18 year old class C holder in the next issue (I think).

Craig

Well Im paying for both my classes (got my C&E test tomorow). Im happy to pay for my courses as after I have passed I owe no one nothing.

There are disadvantages to this however. Im relying on finding work with little experience having done both licences within a month. But I have signed no loan agreements or have to put up with low wages because they have paid for my lessons.

I must admit though I would have liked the opportunety to train within a company, paying realistic wages and giving realistic work and experience.
But there are very few around.

I would say something else, just because im young (22), doesnt mean im any less of a driver who is 44. I may be more concidering I have passed my licences recently where as they could have passed theirs 23 years ago.

Thecritic:
I agree 100% but unlike you 20,000 people who the Transport industry need don’t have the £2,500 thats needed to train up to Class 1 from scratch!
This industry need young blood 25 to 35 year olds and not many have that kind of dosh hid under the pillow!

Yep I agree on that one I was lucky, I’d worked for my employer for six years up to the age of 28 and am now doing something I like and feel I have a futer in. I do think the government should give some kind of grant but not wholly subsidise the thing - and yes I see very few young drivers on my travels so I agree the industry needs new blood, but look at the mess fraudulent claims made of Career Development Loans. That’s quite possibly why they’re (the government) are a bit dubious about funding any kind of traing (correct me if I’m wrong - I usually am :slight_smile: ).

I don’t think it’s all to do with the prohibitive cost of the training that’s putting people off, it’s the general image of the driver. Take a look at yourself when your out on the road; working huge hours and covered in grease. People look at you and think they could invest the £2500 in a university education and have a much cushier job. They don’t often. My sister who’s until recently was a industrial chemist with a years experience often worked more hours than me, managed to get herself irradiated working with nuclear energy (don’t ask - not a clue what she does - she’s the brainy one; but she’s fine) and is retraining as an accountant to be her own boss (which I am) to a certain extent.

The working hours etc have got to be improved before people start entering the inudstry as the job’s got a poor reputation and people really don’t understand what we do. When was the last time you told someone who doesn’t drive what we do for a living and they go oh?

I’ll get off my high horse now :unamused: :smiley: .

Rant over.

When most kids leave school at 16.Having spent there youth with the old man in his truck.Do you honestly think there gonna wait till there 21 to get there licence??.By the time 21 comes round they can see the pitiful returns and why the old man fell asleep in the chair every time he come home…