New drivers job hunting stories

I have applied for a number of jobs on Indeed since passing my test in March and only yesterday I went to 3 interviews. The first one was an assessment (through an agency) but turned up and was told I couldn’t do said assessment due to not having any safety boots (it wasn’t even mentioned I needed them). 2nd interview was an adhoc one I just happened to phone up about. Cracking chap, family run business and was offered a job. Unfortunately it was working away through the week and as I have a pooch and family and friends suddenly retracting their offer to help look after her I had to turn it down. 3rd one I was offered after a 5 minute chat but after speaking to a mate who has been in the business for a long time he suggested their staff turnover was bad and they weren’t a good company to work for.

I have been met with a number of replies saying that because I had no experience then they wouldn’t take me on (how does one get experience if you can’t get a job). So the search continues. I’m based in York will keep looking and something will turn up. Have a number of agencies to try too.

43yo

Haizum74:
I have applied for a number of jobs on Indeed since passing my test in March and only yesterday I went to 3 interviews. The first one was an assessment (through an agency) but turned up and was told I couldn’t do said assessment due to not having any safety boots (it wasn’t even mentioned I needed them). 2nd interview was an adhoc one I just happened to phone up about. Cracking chap, family run business and was offered a job. Unfortunately it was working away through the week and as I have a pooch and family and friends suddenly retracting their offer to help look after her I had to turn it down. 3rd one I was offered after a 5 minute chat but after speaking to a mate who has been in the business for a long time he suggested their staff turnover was bad and they weren’t a good company to work for.

I have been met with a number of replies saying that because I had no experience then they wouldn’t take me on (how does one get experience if you can’t get a job). So the search continues. I’m based in York will keep looking and something will turn up. Have a number of agencies to try too.

43yo

You take one of the three offers above, ■■■■ it up for three months, then suddenly find the whole job hunting scene has changed when your card has three months driving on.

Passed class 2 in 2016 at 29 and class 1 in Jan aged 31.

Did agency class 2 work round a full time job and was offered bits and bats full time but they were the dregs. Getting C work seemed harder than C+E, but got easier with 6, 12 months of having the entitlement.

After passing class 1 was offered nights/tramping at Downtons, Keedwells, WH Malcolm all in West Yorkshire, plus a few more. Ended up taking day work for Turners, which was a mistake, but more the desperation of getting out of a horrible job. After taking Turners was offered an assessment with a supermarket.

Decided to go back to plan a: driving (legally) around a full time job. So now doing Class 1 reefer work once a week. Could earn more on agency elsewhere but quite enjoy the work.

Haizum74:

43yo

Offer 2 is difficult due to a pet but not taking safety boots is a mistake.

Personally I would have taken offer 3. You need experience on your card not worrying about how good or bad the job is.

I did 6 months for turners first job. I left and now have regular agency work while I look for something permanent.

As has been said 3 to 6 months of experience makes a huge difference on the opportunities available to you

sammym:
This probably won’t make it into your speech. But I passed class 2 at 28. I’ve found it very easy to get work. I’ve out of choice done agency work (mainly ad hoc) with one spell of about 2.5 weeks when I took some time off my other commitments. However I have been offered several full time jobs without asking for them. I also as a test decided to apply for the ‘big’ companies to see if a new pass class 1 driver (which I got a few months after class 2) would get a look in - about a week after passing. Every single one offered me an assessment. I’m happy to back up what I’m saying with the emails etc - as my story seems unbelievable given what you will read on here.

I spread out those applications throughout the country. Andover, Southampton, Avonmouth and Rugby. Just to see how geography changes things. And as I’ve said not one turned me down due to lack of experience. Admittedly I could have failed the assessments which I turned down - but the idea that companies will not give people a change is frankly laughable.

To get into work it generally requires calling a few agencies and asking. One will say yes and will ask you to come down and register straight away. You will then probably be asked to start that night or the next day. It’s one thing that makes me really glad I did my licences - I feel that I can always get some paid work so it’s a great insurance policy.

Furthermore the ‘industry’ don’t make it hard to get a job. They bend over backwards to make it incredibly easy. You can apply for the big firms online without a CV. They call you back. And then offer you a chance. The lie of this great barrier to entry is causing far more problems than the companies who seem all too willing to employ people - and train them. Even as an agency driver they were willing to put me with other drivers (which I hated) but also let me practice reversing in the yard/shunting if I wanted.

Read a few of this guys earlier posts on this forum .
He has gone from beavis n butthead to super trucker in a very short time frame .

I find it hilarious .

And it is very hard to find a job to begin with .A good job .

kcrussell25:

Haizum74:

43yo

Offer 2 is difficult due to a pet but not taking safety boots is a mistake.

Personally I would have taken offer 3. You need experience on your card not worrying about how good or bad the job is.

I did 6 months for turners first job. I left and now have regular agency work while I look for something permanent.

As has been said 3 to 6 months of experience makes a huge difference on the opportunities available to you

Well I was just told to turn up for an assessment, no mention of what to wear and the agency had not been informed either so not my issue that side of things.

However with regards to the 3rd offer, after reading what you posted I agree so will be calling them to confirm I will take it. As you say it’s the experience that counts.

Haizum74:

43yo

I would’nt of turned it down on the advice of a mate if its your 1st gig.Its a foot in the door.So you could of give it a couple of months then moved on.And always take safety boots to a job interview.You will need them & high vis & gloves.Then your sorted

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

daftvader:

Haizum74:

43yo

I would’nt of turned it down on the advice of a mate if its your 1st gig.Its a foot in the door.So you could of give it a couple of months then moved on.And always take safety boots to a job interview.You will need them & high vis & gloves.Then your sorted

I can see how a newbie unless told wouldn’t know they needed boots etc for an assessment.

Think I only knew because I read it here first. You don’t know what you don’t know. Its obvious in hindsight.

IronEddie:

daftvader:

Haizum74:

43yo

I can see how a newbie unless told wouldn’t know they needed boots etc for an assessment.

Think I only knew because I read it here first. You don’t know what you don’t know. Its obvious in hindsight.

Its obvious now of course but at the time for a newbie one just expects a job interview/classroom type assessment. The other two interviews didn’t require it. Rookie mistake.

daftvader:

Haizum74:

43yo

This is true, thankfully I haven’t turned it down.

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to reply. I believe it is being filmed so I can use it on my YouTube channel so those interested will be able to see if

I worked as a warehouse guy in one of the big four supermarkets, after 11 years tipping the trucks and a lifelong passion for them I decided to get my licenses. I passed my cat c last October and C+E January this year. I signed up with two agencies in November, one sent me on my first gig on a job with a load of issues that I wasn’t comfortable with, the other one sent me out once a week accompanied with another driver so that I could build up experience, confidence etc. I stuck with the second agency there onwards, they continued to send me out on jobs double manned until I was confident going out solo.
I applied to the supermarket depot but unfortunately wasn’t successful in getting a transfer so I applied elsewhere and got a job that I will be starting next week. I am 42.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did this ever get uploaded Luke? I’d be interested to see it but I’ve just checked your youtube and can’t find it on there