New driver and anxious

trevHCS:
Agencies will lie to you and the client so when the client tells the agency “we need someone who knows their stuff” they’ll get anyone the agency has available.

Sounds from the description like they’ve had loads of people do the job, no one has managed it in the time (ie: getting back before 7) so wouldn’t worry. Sounds like the usual crappy company but its experience and something on your tacho card.

Personally I wouldn’t park in the company car park so if they lock the gates, you can dump the truck in front of the gate, chuck the keys over the gate and drive home.

All first jobs tend to be crappy on agency so go do it, take stuff back if it cant be delivered and they’ll find you a new gig. Don’t be surprised if these people want you back!

i absolutely hate agencies with a passion they lie to you they think their the dogs bo****ks and mess with your wages my gf was a recruitment agent many moons ago and when she fell pregnant after over a year of working there and contract to call her in the office and tell her her performance is down bye bye, thats not the reason why i hate them but added to it she took them tribunal and got 4k for the stress and worry it caused her anyhow yeah the stories she would tell me about they would lie and say its a few weeks work and the poor wee labourer was only working for 1 day its shocking what actually goes on but iv got to get my foot in the door

apparently its temp to perm if i fit the bill so yeah btw whats gig mean aha

seand90:
do you think i will be given a sat nav as i can operate motorways without it and follow signs it just the direct roads where the drop is i think il have the problems with do recommend anything mate?

Doubt it very much.
Got internet on your phone?
Trucker co-pilot has a 1 month trial you could use until you could afford a dedicated satnav. Google maps is ok in a pinch but won’t give you width or height restrictions.
One little app that I absolutely LOVE right now is Delm8. Takes you to the door, finds new builds (More than me satnav, anyway) 1 month free trial. SO impressed, I bought it. 40 quid for a year.
Ooh, talking about phones…have you got Internet? Data plan? unlimited calls and txts? If not…get it, I guarantee you will need it at some point.

Regarding tacho…you sound exactly like me when I started a year ago. No, I’m not a youngster, I’m 62, but I took 39 years off then came back.
My posts were all about “How do I do a manual entry” and “IS it serious if I don’t do one”
My first 3 months on Agency I got to the depot, got me instructions, got in the cab, put me card in, and ■■■■■■ off for the day.
The very first time I tried a manual entry, 3 months and many many miles later, I got stopped at the gate by VOSA doing a check. No probs, all good. Lucky ■■■■■■■■
This was because I’d been watching loads of youtube stuff on manual entries.
Now, it’s second nature, and I get to show the new guys how they’re done.
You WILL need to know how to do 'em at some point. Just pick your time to try it out.

seand90:
btw whats gig mean aha

Gig=job.

simcor:
And if you aren’t given respect for asking for help with things then they are not worth working for anyway.

I’m guessing it’s SIG you will be driving for or CCF.

Make sure the drops are marked up by the company as drop numbers with also number 1 of 3 etc, so you know exactly what laod is going to what drop. Otherwise you’ll be looking for info on labels etc to try and figure out what goes where. They should likely have all the drops in some sort of easy order.

Hmm, SIG, only place I’ve defected a vehicle for the amount of crap in it.

Delivered to CCF, seemed a decent bunch on that side of things, their drivers were helpful in getting out of my way with an artic in a tightish yard.

trevHCS:
Agencies will lie to you and the client so when the client tells the agency “we need someone who knows their stuff” they’ll get anyone the agency has available.

Sounds from the description like they’ve had loads of people do the job, no one has managed it in the time (ie: getting back before 7) so wouldn’t worry. Sounds like the usual crappy company but its experience and something on your tacho card.

Personally I wouldn’t park in the company car park so if they lock the gates, you can dump the truck in front of the gate, chuck the keys over the gate and drive home.

All first jobs tend to be crappy on agency so go do it, take stuff back if it cant be delivered and they’ll find you a new gig. Don’t be surprised if these people want you back!

I agree. There is a tendency for conscientious people to imagine that agencies are basically honest or that clients have high standards.

To the OP I would say, the agency already know you are a new pass, and you’ll be sent to beggar clients who cannot be choosers, and who will often have totally unreasonable expectations.

The main challenge as a new driver is simply holding your nerve against any mithering or hurrying, and not crashing the wagon (though small bumps or scrapes on a site are probably par for the course). If you need help with something, ask another driver who will invariably be happy to help (especially if you simply explain that it’s your first day/week).

In this game, and at your level, the only thing that should represent serious embarrassment is if you crash the wagon.

All other concerns, whether it be the time taken to complete a run, compliance with the minutiae of the drivers hours rules, knowing how to operate equipment without help, and so on, should be considered secondary concerns and refinements that can be addressed in the weeks and months to come.

And seriously, if an employer has a hissy fit for almost any reason (other than crashing the wagon), just shrug and accept it as a sign of normal conditions in this game.

They are just letting off steam that their poor pay and conditions do not allow them to hire and retain experienced drivers, they do not have any friends or professional connections to call upon for cover, they are not interested in developing trainees as new full-time employees, and are instead simply having to make do with being sent new trainees by an agency.

You won’t have arrived in this industry - at least on agency work - until you have a personal blacklist of employers who you aren’t willing to work for again due to their behaviour or the condition of their equipment.

Rjan:
You won’t have arrived in this industry - at least on agency work - until you have a personal blacklist of employers who you aren’t willing to work for again due to their behaviour or the condition of their equipment.

To be fair at face value it looks like a reasonable job.While to put some detail to that advice you won’t have seen the worse that agencies can do until you’ve been put on scaffolding/shuttering work driving a knackered beat up old 12 tonner and then on arrival effectively forced by the site manager to work as a site labourer while you’re on ‘his’ site for as long as ‘he’ says.In the form of moving,erecting,striking,stacking said scaffolding or shuttering,let alone loading it and unloading it.On the basis that when you’re on ‘his’ site you do as ‘he’ says.

Or arrived to do a class 1 trunk only to find that it’s actually umpteen multi drops and collections in London with a 7.5 tonner.All this while others with less experience are walking into employed distance/international jobs.The uk trucking hey day of the 1980’s yeah right. :open_mouth: :frowning:

You need to check tacho mode when you stop.
As 99%of trucks it will auto change to hammers / other work.
But I have come across.the odd truck that just changes to rest mode every time you stop. Not.sure why as it messes up.your time if you don’t realise.

steviespain:

seand90:
do you think i will be given a sat nav as i can operate motorways without it and follow signs it just the direct roads where the drop is i think il have the problems with do recommend anything mate?

Doubt it very much.
Got internet on your phone?
Trucker co-pilot has a 1 month trial you could use until you could afford a dedicated satnav. Google maps is ok in a pinch but won’t give you width or height restrictions.
One little app that I absolutely LOVE right now is Delm8. Takes you to the door, finds new builds (More than me satnav, anyway) 1 month free trial. SO impressed, I bought it. 40 quid for a year.
Ooh, talking about phones…have you got Internet? Data plan? unlimited calls and txts? If not…get it, I guarantee you will need it at some point.

Regarding tacho…you sound exactly like me when I started a year ago. No, I’m not a youngster, I’m 62, but I took 39 years off then came back.
My posts were all about “How do I do a manual entry” and “IS it serious if I don’t do one”
My first 3 months on Agency I got to the depot, got me instructions, got in the cab, put me card in, and [zb] off for the day.
The very first time I tried a manual entry, 3 months and many many miles later, I got stopped at the gate by VOSA doing a check. No probs, all good. Lucky [zb]!
This was because I’d been watching loads of youtube stuff on manual entries.
Now, it’s second nature, and I get to show the new guys how they’re done.
You WILL need to know how to do 'em at some point. Just pick your time to try it out.

ye wikid advice and i will certainly give these apps a visit! :smiley: yeah i have got iphone 7 with a cracked screen but it has unlimited data calls and texts so theres something i done right aha, im 29 been driving cars/vans a long time so got quite a good idea of the way things are road networks/signs etc just got to remember straddle both lanes and little roundabouts etc i passed my hgv class 2 first time and i think the test bloke it had that day was a total douche! but i passed so im must be decent :slight_smile: wikid advice btw mate

Rjan:

trevHCS:

I agree. There is a tendency for conscientious people to imagine that agencies are basically honest or that clients have high standards.

To the OP I would say, the agency already know you are a new pass, and you’ll be sent to beggar clients who cannot be choosers, and who will often have totally unreasonable expectations.

The main challenge as a new driver is simply holding your nerve against any mithering or hurrying, and not crashing the wagon (though small bumps or scrapes on a site are probably par for the course). If you need help with something, ask another driver who will invariably be happy to help (especially if you simply explain that it’s your first day/week).

In this game, and at your level, the only thing that should represent serious embarrassment is if you crash the wagon.

All other concerns, whether it be the time taken to complete a run, compliance with the minutiae of the drivers hours rules, knowing how to operate equipment without help, and so on, should be considered secondary concerns and refinements that can be addressed in the weeks and months to come.

And seriously, if an employer has a hissy fit for almost any reason (other than crashing the wagon), just shrug and accept it as a sign of normal conditions in this game.

They are just letting off steam that their poor pay and conditions do not allow them to hire and retain experienced drivers, they do not have any friends or professional connections to call upon for cover, they are not interested in developing trainees as new full-time employees, and are instead simply having to make do with being sent new trainees by an agency.

yeah get back to depot with out crashing/hitting bridge etc is my main concern! and yeh tacho should be my main concern i just hope that start of my shift the tacho bit runs smoothly so i can just block it out my head and worry about the latter at the end of my shift haha lol thats it just got to get experience quite optimistic and looking forward to losing my class 2 job virginity woohoo

Carryfast:

Rjan:

To be fair at face value it looks like a reasonable job.While to put some detail to that advice you won’t have seen the worse that agencies can do until you’ve been put on scaffolding/shuttering work driving a knackered beat up old 12 tonner and then on arrival effectively forced by the site manager to work as a site labourer while you’re on ‘his’ site for as long as ‘he’ says.In the form of moving,erecting,striking,stacking said scaffolding or shuttering,let alone loading it and unloading it.On the basis that when you’re on ‘his’ site you do as ‘he’ says.

Or arrived to do a class 1 trunk only to find that it’s actually umpteen multi drops and collections in London with a 7.5 tonner.All this while others with less experience are walking into employed distance/international jobs.The uk trucking hey day of the 1980’s yeah right. :open_mouth: :frowning:

yeah i hope its a decent company with decent wagons etc imagine if i have to defect the truck on my first day oops :smiley: yeah i wouldnt like to to scaffold work/driving etc and get boss round by the site manager forget that lol

edd1974:
You need to check tacho mode when you stop.
As 99%of trucks it will auto change to hammers / other work.
But I have come across.the odd truck that just changes to rest mode every time you stop. Not.sure why as it messes up.your time if you don’t realise.

yeah ok thanks il be sure to look up at the unit i can see what mode im in anyway without touching any buttons cant i?

Mate, I’ve read your posts…I mean this in the nicest possible way… calm tf down, take a deep breath , and take it in your stride.
I understand you are anxious about your first gig, we all were, but it aint rocket science, you are delivering from point A to point B in modern equipment with navigational aids …and it’s local, so relatively easy :sunglasses: …so cool it. :smiley:

Not like the old days when you were just chucked in, pointed to a strange motor, and told…’
'Sheet and rope that trailer, …Do what? :open_mouth:

For 1 drop London’'(300 miles away) that just might as well have been Timbuck bloody Tu for all the knowledge I had. :neutral_face:

Then get in an old dog of a truck with a diagram on the gear lever that looked like some sort of mathematical enigma, (that you had to learn to DRIVE …not just steer as today, as you had took your course on a much smaller and easier vehicle) armed only with a map and a flask, no phones or sat navs…and told ‘‘Ring in when tipped’’
So not as bad as things used to be bud. :smiley:

As has been said …Concentrate on getting it done safely, and in your own reasonable time ! That is of paramount importance :bulb:
And oh yeh…ignore those ■■■■ clowns sat in an office attempting to push you…

Tachos are of secondary importance despite what the power that be say when they try and brainwash you into fear…You ARE allowed to make mistakes. :bulb: and they won’t execute you for balls ups and/or infringements.
Confidence and knowledge of tachos and all the bloody stupid rules they entail, come with time and experience.

So just take your time, and get the job done safely and efficientllly, that is the way to build your reputation.
Good luck.

Try to enjoy it, this it what you paid a lot of money for. We were all newbees once. Look after yourself and the motor. If possible try to establish a good relationship with the people in the yard some forkies are very sad and can mess up your day.

simcor:
You need to be honest with the agency and the company.

They are both expecting someone with experience who knows what they are doing.

If you go in pretending you have experience you will come unstuck very quickly.

First off any decent company will do a licence check and they will see you have only recently passed.

There will be forms to fill in probably with someone from the agency on site to induct you even very basically.

You will get found out and they might not even be able to insure you due to insurance restrictions so you could end being sent home immediately and no more work, then you will have to explain to the agency why you couldn’t do the shift and believe me the company will tell the agency.

You are shooting yourself in the foot by not being upfront, it might not be an issue if both parties know the situation but it more than likely will be.

I have to second this. At the very least most companies will ask you to scan your card at the start of your shift and will (maybe) see you have 0 hours driven. If you go in and say you’re new (not for this particular job) 99% of the people there will help you or direct you to someone (another driver) who can help you - at least that’s what my experience was when I was starting out.

If you’re struggling to find driving work you can either do vans or some other job while your license “matures”; you still won’t have the xp but at least more companies/agencies would be willing to give you a chance because insurance etc.

Roughly…

Where are you going on Monday please?

Just so myself and others know where to avoid. :smiley:

yourhavingalarf:
Roughly…

Where are you going on Monday please?

Just so myself and others know where to avoid. :smiley:

Oooh…very harsh. :laughing: :laughing:
Nah, he’ll do fine, he’s just new and keen, and a touch naive as we all were.

Keen?..I actually remember keen, :laughing: … if he’s owt like me it will be eventually replaced with a strong helping of ‘totally ■■■■■■ off’ . :laughing:

I was in your position 6 months ago only difference is that I jumped straight into class 1 I walked straight into a tramping job on containers. I’ve since quit that job and moved on and now considering euro work. My first day was a complete cluster ■■■■ of panicking and nerves which in turn led to more problems as the week went on. As the others say Don’t Panic take everything slowly and make sure everyone you meet knows your new to the game you’ll be surprised how many people will actually help you. Most of all enjoy it.

Take your time,just because someone does it in 2 hours doesn’t mean you have to,listen to advice any of the old hands tell you.
Don’t rely on sat navs,if you can get someone to sketch you a quick map it helps,they’ve done the drop and will know best route in.
If people take the mick a bit just laugh it off,give a bit back and try fitting in,now matter what anyone says someone will always help you if your stuck in this job :wink:

Look bud if you walk in to the job and say I’m new and its an issue for the company its not your problem.

If the agency have any sense they will have told the company who they are sending and if the company have any sense they will have told the agency about any insurance requirements.
Its out of your hands, if the gaffer goes off on one because of it direct him to the agency, head home and bill them for the day.

If the company can’t get experienced drivers its because they aren’t willing to pay for it and are going to have to ■■■■ it up and accept newbies. ■■■■ getting around nice and fast. Best bit of advice I got on my first day was; " Your main priority today is get around without damaging anything or hurting anyone, if some hotel somewhere doesnt get their linen today no one will die, if you rush about someone might"

robroy:
and it’s local,

:open_mouth:

Hopefully not.

He’s been told it’s around 5 drops so lets say around 60-80 miles between each drop.As opposed to the 5 drops actually turning into 25 12 - 15 miles between each drop when he gets the keys.That’s the point to walk away OP. :frowning: :wink: