New contract

Take spacemonkeys advice, he obviousley is the fount of all knowledge. You can’t beat a good transport cafe lawyer. ( that would be why he’s driving a truck and not a lawyer)
However, if , like most people you have difficulty in understanding legal terms and statutes then seek pro advice.
Showing your boss a letter from a lawyer setting out the issue is a far stronger argument than wandering in armed with a lot of printouts from the web.
Wether through a union or not, it makes no real difference, certainly not to me although SM seems to think so.

signing and clause under duress.
Yes , you can refuse to sign altogether and if sacked can always fight your case and win, but may still be out of work.
Why go for confrontation when you can buy time and work it out without pain?

You really are A1, honestly!

I don’t drive a truck any more and have progressed my career ladder. I am an operations manager for a transport company which involves transport department management, sales department management and HR.

I would suggest you do some research Del prior to you attempted put downs, that way you wont show your self up so much

You really are A1, honestly

nice of to say that, thank you! :slight_smile:

[?.

Can his employer make him pay excess? and hold him responsible for any loss?, or take money from his pay?.

The thing is tohse of us that have driven for a while know the score when it comes to phoning the boss and saying Im not going in there ~(yeh we’ve had bigger than that in there before) but you dont want to risk breaking anything as you have to pay for any damage sustained.

Legal or not?.

L

Legal
[/quote]
the answer is simple NO they cant.

and if the threaten you with the sack.

then say ok i will see you in court.

and if you accept this you are all thicker than pig crap.

oh i forgot to say, this happend to me. i contacted the union lawyer and the company backed down. very quickly.

jammymutt:
Dont want to mention the company but if you had to climb a very large (hill) orange thing you might work it out.

ive jussed sussed out who you mean, i would think in their line of work, scuffs and dents and scrapes etc are all part of the job.

Gunner Til I Die:
OMG straight out of the S & K handbook :laughing: :laughing:

Never had anything like this when I worked there. :slight_smile:

Spacemonkeypg:
You have to stipulate in writing that you are refuting this change in your contract should you wish too.

Otherwise as time passes it can be considered implied terms and conditions of your employment.

Just on the point of the passing of time creating and implied acceptance through conduct/acquiescence.

When an employer creates a term that will have future effect, an employee need not raise his objection until such time as that term will have practical effect.

I’d say - Don’t sign it , and don’t raise any ‘formal’ objection until and if they try to take any money from you.

The topic of them sacking for refusal to sign and agree the new term is a whole other kettle of fish.

Well I am informed by a friend of a friend that ALL drivers at the company have signed the form and the one about removing payments from wages.

Dont want to make mountains out of a molehill :wink: but the guys were told if they dont sign it they would be sacked.

Its a sad story but you have to do what your told in these days.

not pratical but take the document and ram it down the bosses neck, a load off bullocks a company i previously work for had all that sort off rubbish in the contract never signed it wouldnt give em the saftisfaction, but by rights they have to give 90 days notice off any intended changed to your contract off employment.