New Actros

Just watched that vid, …My opinion?
Another dumbing down example of a situation where actual ‘skills’ are no longer needed, resulting in even worse non drivers attending the wheel than now, and as for the first 10 mins :open_mouth: …where do I enrol for the computer and electronics degree course to be able to trawl thhrogh all that crap on the dash.

As said before Tech for tech’s sake…no other viable reason. :smiling_imp:
Ok, I’m cynical, maybe old fashioned and maybe in a minority on here…but is it just me? :neutral_face:

robroy:
Another dumbing down example of a situation where actual ‘skills’ are no longer needed, resulting in even worse non drivers attending the wheel than now, and as for the first 10 mins :open_mouth: …where do I enrol for the computer and electronics degree course to be able to trawl thhrogh all that crap on the dash.

Ok, I’m cynical, maybe old fashioned and maybe in a minority on here…but is it just me? :neutral_face:

Makes a change from me being accused an old ■■■■ stuck in the past :smiling_imp: .

I’m fairly open about things like this, depending on how the cameras perform at night, these things could make life so much better for those who have to go into really tight places in darkness.

If i had my way, we’d dump auto gearboxes in the sea and slip solid constant mesh, preferably Eaton Twin Splitter gearboxes back in, and watch the numpties that cause 95% of the damage vanish from the yards and go back to doing whatever they did with no pride or care before.
Reckon i’m in the minority here though wanting manuals back :laughing:

It’s all changing, it always has or we’d still be shovelling coal into the boiler, but we’ve seen the best of the job i reckon, the really old hard motors were on their last legs when we started out, Robroy, so within half a dozen years at worst we’d got power steering and generally comfortable comparatively powerful motors (cheerio Gardner 180’s and good bloody riddance :wink: ) with laminated windscreens that wouldn’t shred your face and hands with hundreds of glass cuts when they exploded like the old toughened screens did.

We enjoyed the freedom of the job without the severe hardships of the lads who went before us, we also benefitted from the good years of the fair ladies out there looking their best :sunglasses:

actros ed:
I think this is the first one in the country.

Nah you missed out on that title :wink:

nick2008:
City West in Avonmouth have a few in.
Saw the black demonstrator last week and a white one today.

I saw the white one on Thursday last week in Yate.

robroy:

Dumbing down of skills? Another point of view might be that safety is increased?

shullbit:

robroy:

Dumbing down of skills? Another point of view might be that safety is increased?

Ok maybe so maybe not, but in my view I’d rather have a proficient driver who knew what he was doing driving any truck (with or without any amount of tech), than some ■■■■ dweeb who was useless, and totally relying on hi tech to drive it for him.

robroy:

shullbit:

robroy:

Ok maybe so maybe not, but in my view I’d rather have a proficient driver who knew what he was doing driving any truck (with or without any amount of tech), than some [zb] dweeb who was useless, and totally relying on hi tech to drive it for him.

Like when the will be posts on here, Ive passed my test in a merc, where I work now drive a Volvo, how do I know when to pull back in after over taking`

From what I’ve heard these make blindsiding an awful lot easier and an awful lot more safe. So I’m all for it.

When driving for supermarkets I got used to having the glass window in the back of the cab. Meaning I could see when blindsiding. It was a bit of a doddle once you got used to it. I’m not sure why that isn’t a standard feature on all trucks tbh, along with side windows at the back. But if this allows drivers to see then it’s a great idea. Same as when going around very very tight bends out in the countryside - we can use blindspot mirrors etc but it will be nice to see properly.

stick-in-the-mud (noun)

(informal) someone with traditional ideas who is not willing to enjoy themselves or to try new things

How many on this thread still have these style mirrors on their lorry? :smiley:

earlyfordstore.com/images/1 … MIRROR.jpg

shullbit:
stick-in-the-mud (noun)

(informal) someone with traditional ideas who is not willing to enjoy themselves or to try new things

Over engineering. (Wikipedia)
''The design of a product that is more robust or complicated than is necessary for it’s application, either to ensure sufficient factor of safety, or sufficient functionality".

rigsby:
How will the experienced drivers cope when there practiced habit is to look out of the window at a mirror and not at a screen in the cab . How long would it take to adapt ?

There’s a way round that, it’s simple - just get a D arm and mount the screen to it… :blush:

robroy:

shullbit:
stick-in-the-mud (noun)

Over engineering. (Wikipedia)
''The design of a product that is more robust or complicated than is necessary for it’s application, either to ensure sufficient factor of safety, or sufficient functionality".

That actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it :smiley:

If no one ever pushed things forward in this way we’d still be riding round in house and carts…‘If it ain’t broke don’t fix it’. I think these are a great idea, great for safety and better for the driver

switchlogic:
If no one ever pushed things forward in this way we’d still be riding round in house and carts…‘If it ain’t broke don’t fix it’. I think these are a great idea, great for safety and better for the driver

My mrs spent 28 yrs reversing cars by looking over her shoulders etc , that last 3 yrs she’s spent looking at the screen of a reversing camera & listening for the sensors to go off .
I’m not sure it’s a safer way of driving !!!

Brilliant idea…

Can’t wait.

Should be standard fitment to everything.

dozy:

switchlogic:

My mrs spent 28 yrs reversing cars by looking over her shoulders etc , that last 3 yrs she’s spent looking at the screen of a reversing camera & listening for the sensors to go off .
I’m not sure it’s a safer way of driving !!!

So she likes them doze eh? Uses it all the time .
And she’s never looked back since.
:laughing:

switchlogic:

+1.

And for gawds sake do some work on the pitifully weak bed reading lamp.I shouldn’t have to be using a head torch whilst reading an improving book :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello just an update on the new lorry and a few thoughts on some of the comments that were posted.
On the camera itself the arms do fold in and they go either way and its about the same as folding in a mirror arm, on the cost of replacement I have been told its about £350,so keep out of the bushes.On another post someone asked if I had any spine transplants,well none at the moment and I know the ride can be a little lively but its not the worst ride in the world (cue all the people who dont agree :slight_smile: ) They have improved the ride on the new merc and its a lot smoother.On another post someone said sideswipes would be an issue as your not looking out of the window but looking at the A pillars,the cameras have no blind spots on the drivers side and the nearside blind spot is so small you can just about stand in it without being seen.Also because you haven’t got those massive mirrors in the way junctions and roundabouts are alot better as your not trying to look round them and losing cars and bikes in them.As for knowing where the end of the trailer is and pulling in its just another driving aid to help you, how you use the information is up to you.I had the chance to do a couple of blind side reverses the cameras were ( I cant say brilliant or super duper because thats silly :laughing: ) all I would say is that if carlsberg did blind side reversing. . . . . . you can guess the rest :smiley: .It took me about 5 minuets to get used to the screens inside, and at night the contrast is very good no massive glare and they seem to cope if someone is behind you with badly adjusted lights.As for all the new tech some one said it looks like they would need a degree to operate it well I can say that you will very quickly pick up and how to use all the driver aides.The tech in the truck is no different than if you get a good Mercedes car,would you turn down a quality car just because its got touch screen technology? It was also mentioned that why change mirrors as they are tried and tested, well up until now there has been nothing to challenge a mirror, driving round the m25 yesterday in the pouring rain and they spray,not once did I have a problem and need to clean-put the mirror heaters on.Someone put that the cupboards are no good for a microwave but why put all that tech in a lorry when a gas ring cooks just as well.(sorry that last bit was me having a bit of fun)All I can say is that the new Actros is alot better than the older version and I would choose to have all the tech (driving aides) in the lorry,at the end of the day anything that makes my driving life better and helps me,as I can use the information how I want I am all for.This is just my opinion of the lorry,and no nuns or puppies were hurt in this view.

sammym:
From what I’ve heard these make blindsiding an awful lot easier and an awful lot more safe. So I’m all for it.

When driving for supermarkets I got used to having the glass window in the back of the cab. Meaning I could see when blindsiding. It was a bit of a doddle once you got used to it. I’m not sure why that isn’t a standard feature on all trucks tbh, along with side windows at the back. But if this allows drivers to see then it’s a great idea. Same as when going around very very tight bends out in the countryside - we can use blindspot mirrors etc but it will be nice to see properly.

Have you ever tried sleeping in a greenhouse !!!
Learn how to reverse much better idea