Needed! Drivers from the 1960s to help T&D - and me!

Ha ha, sure do ROF all the guys I knew were meek as mice and very bashful when it came to the opposite ■■■! :wink:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi “Lucy” Did you get my PM, Regards Larry.

I did, and replied - I’ll be in touch to arrange things in a week or two! Thanks. L.x. :grimacing:

lowreduction:
Hi, l was a drivers mate on heavy haulage in the 60s and went on to become a driver having driven many miles before obtaining a license, it was my apprenticeship !
I have worked in the transport industry all my life and now at the tender age of 64 l am semi retired and only work part time.
In my lesure time I visit clubs up and down the country giving slide shows and talks about our industry and my experiences. I also have a large collection of model lorries and photos.
I would be more than happy to talk to you about transport history ( it’s my favourite subject ).
You can reach either by phone or email:- 07740299355 or 01377250760 or tonyhawkridge@live.co.uk
Regards Tony Hawkridge.

Wonderful! Thanks Tony - I’ll give you a bell in a week or two and arrange a natter! L.x.

Frankydobo:
Ha ha, sure do ROF all the guys I knew were meek as mice and very bashful when it came to the opposite ■■■! :wink:

Behave Franky - if it helps I was a driver for 15 years, so think of me with my boots on swearing like a trooper and you’ll see I’m not actually scary at all! :wink:

Oh, no! The wolf in sheep’s clothing!
To be fair, I’ve had the pleasure of knowing several drivers of the female persuasion and all, without exception, were hard-working, good at their job and great girls to know.
In contrast, it has to be said that I’ve known a few male “characters” who seemed to delight in giving the transport industry a bad name.

Retired Old ■■■■:
To be fair, I’ve had the pleasure of knowing several drivers of the female persuasion and all, without exception, were hard-working, good at their job and great girls to know.
In contrast, it has to be said that I’ve known a few male “characters” who seemed to delight in giving the transport industry a bad name.

We had a couple of lasses driving for Steve Fletcher, a haulage contractor from our quarry, back in the early 90’s. They were both lovely girls, one (Sam) married a local haulier and I believe does the driver CPC’s, still see her about but I don’t know what happened to Mandy?

Pete.

Retired Old ■■■■:

Like my better half, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , She still thinks that its a load of cobblers, Silly old dear, Regards Larry.

^^ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I started in this industry at aged 17, that was 1963 only a small 5cwt van…but it was the start of my long career…i am 71 now, and still doing international work so ( best booties ) i am not well into my 80`s, some of us look younger than our age, others look twice as old as they are… :smiley: :smiley: .
Lucy, you are welcome to contact me if you wish, but feel sure you have many offers of past memories…

Started as a van lad (Harrisons of Dewsbury) 1959, no HGV licences then, moved to Fred Chappell, Batley and never looked back. Fred was a good man and a good gaffer, he gave a few of us young lads our start ‘on the road’ and I’ll be forever in his debt. I enjoyed my working life, yes, there were c rap day but there were a hell of a lot of great happy days.
And some of the stuff we got up to when we were young is best left unsaid :unamused: Hell, 3 of us lost (yes lost) an Atky unit in Islington one night, we’d forgotten where we parked it took us until lunchtime the next day to find it…in a taxi touring the streets. Old Fred wasn’t amused…“where the 'kin hell have you been”? :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ve only ever had one driving test, never had a test with an HGV, all my training has been by the best way…that’s from my peers, old hands who were happy to pass their experience on and help young fellas move up the ladder, you were told how, you were shown how, and if you got it wrong it was a clip round the ear .
But I say again…they were VERY happy days. Would I go back to a life on the road with todays T&C’s and modern euro box vehicles?..NO
No mobile phones and trackers in our day, you got your paperwork and you were sent out to do a job…“give us a ring when you’re tipped” Main trouble in those days was a supply of 10p pieces and finding a public phone that actually worked. :smiley:

grumpy old man:
Started as a van lad (Harrisons of Dewsbury) 1959, no HGV licences then, moved to Fred Chappell, Batley and never looked back. Fred was a good man and a good gaffer, he gave a few of us young lads our start ‘on the road’ and I’ll be forever in his debt. I enjoyed my working life, yes, there were c rap day but there were a hell of a lot of great happy days.
And some of the stuff we got up to when we were young is best left unsaid :unamused: Hell, 3 of us lost (yes lost) an Atky unit in Islington one night, we’d forgotten where we parked it took us until lunchtime the next day to find it…in a taxi touring the streets. Old Fred wasn’t amused…“where the 'kin hell have you been”? :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ve only ever had one driving test, never had a test with an HGV, all my training has been by the best way…that’s from my peers, old hands who were happy to pass their experience on and help young fellas move up the ladder, you were told how, you were shown how, and if you got it wrong it was a clip round the ear .
But I say again…they were VERY happy days. Would I go back to a life on the road with todays T&C’s and modern euro box vehicles?..NO
No mobile phones and trackers in our day, you got your paperwork and you were sent out to do a job…“give us a ring when you’re tipped” Main trouble in those days was a supply of 10p pieces and finding a public phone that actually worked. :smiley:

…and didn’t have that aroma of stale urine Grumpy!!!

David

5thwheel:

grumpy old man:

Well said that Man.You are like me and lots of others on this thread from the good old , OLD school, The good old days when driving an old motor IE Atkis Aecs Fodens Maudsleys, Sentinals, Scammells, They were they days IMOO, Sadley they are long gone and hopefully never to be forgotten, Im getting older by the minute Heading for 82, And Im looking forward to getting up in the morning, Ready to Rock & Roll once again :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.
…and didn’t have that aroma of stale urine Grumpy!!!

David

I remember my ears glowing after a few clips when, after being shown, it took me 4 attempts…to tie a double dolly. :blush: :blush:
And Fred not being too impressed when I told him I thought I’d damaged a TS3 coming over the Beacons one night. It seems all it was doing was de-coking itself…“daft bugga, you should have revved the ball ■■■■■ off it” :blush:
I was but a mere child, just learning the job. :smiley:

Just a quick note to let you know the feature you all helped me with is in Truck & Driver this month. Thanks again! :grimacing:

SEPTEMBER truck and driver PAGE 16 [A SHINING EXAMPLE] Lucy, what on earth are you writing about ,not one word is about anyones experance of driving from the 1960s[what you wanted!! ]its about you ,and you had to wait 7MINS ,MY GOD HOW WOULD YOU HAVE COPED WITH 7HOURS…I am disappointed , what is the point of what you have written,i have no idea.

Indifference is around us everywhere not just road haulage.pdb.

peggydeckboy:
SEPTEMBER truck and driver PAGE 16 [A SHINING EXAMPLE] Lucy, what on earth are you writing about ,not one word is about anyones experance of driving from the 1960s[what you wanted!! ]its about you ,and you had to wait 7MINS ,MY GOD HOW WOULD YOU HAVE COPED WITH 7HOURS…I am disappointed , what is the point of what you have written,i have no idea.

Indifference is around us everywhere not just road haulage.pdb.

SNAP pdb ! Against the habit of a life time of not buying a “Truck Comic” I called into W H Smith with the intention of purchasing said Comic ! I first of all had a quick glance but quickly decided to keep my brass in my pocket, it was nothing but “gobboldy ■■■■” to me ! Typical Journo you get conned into helping then when they do the write up it is nothing like what you expected. So from now on I’ll keep stumm and ignore any other pleas for “input” about the transport industry and my recollections which obviously are a load of un-printable Bollox ! Cheers Bewick.

Just spotted this - try page 78 guys. :wink:

(Ps. 7 minutes is a long time when people keep looking straight at you and pointedly looking away again, especially when you’re paid mileage - and I really did cook pasta on one of the desks in the office at Volvo Stockton! :stuck_out_tongue: )