Need some help with a Ford D Series

The gear stick now moves like it should.

Glenn74Swe:
The gear stick now moves like it should.

There you go! That’s a start. Carry on…

D Series Handbrake lever assembly. This is air-assisted which is what I thought I remembered they were. With the air built up you should feel the lever getting a boost from the assistance valve as you pull it.

ebay.co.uk/itm/333628162353 … lsrc=aw.ds

This was the ratchet and chamber but I can’t recall if this is for an 0707 or a larger D series.

ebay.co.uk/itm/263650394897 … x0QAvD_BwE

What does this pin do? It’s not connected to the wire. Is it the choke? (2701E engine)

Glenn74Swe:
What does this pin do? It’s not connected to the wire. Is it the choke? (2701E engine)

That I believe is part of the cold start system (excess fuel device) which allows extra fuel into the system, the clamp & cable you can see in the photo is all part of it,
the cable runs up to the access panel behind the drivers seat on a RHD vehicles, possibly the same on a LHD model.

It is the excess fuel plunger for cold starting. The bracket in the picture should sit over it then there was a cable that ran to the front lower panel area, you pulled it out as you say rather like a choke. In the UK didn’t very often have to use it as the engines did tend to start on the key no problem, but could be different in colder climates

dave docwra:

Glenn74Swe:

That I believe is part of the cold start system (excess fuel device) which allows extra fuel into the system, the clamp & cable you can see in the photo is all part of it,
the cable runs up to the access panel behind the drivers seat on a RHD vehicles, possibly the same on a LHD model.

I see.

Right next to the gear shifter I have a small handle that seems to control the lever next to the pin on the picture, and next to the handle there is a knob with the “C” letter on it.

Glenn74Swe:

Looks like the scrimshanker washer has fell off, the giggling pin

jshepguis:
It is the excess fuel plunger for cold starting. The bracket in the picture should sit over it then there was a cable that ran to the front lower panel area, you pulled it out as you say rather like a choke. In the UK didn’t very often have to use it as the engines did tend to start on the key no problem, but could be different in colder climates

Is the clamp mounted wrong? What is the normal position of the plunger? If I connect the clamp to the wire I have to push down the knob inside the cabin to activate the cold start function. Shouldn’t it be the other way around; when pulled it activates the plunger to activate the cold start function?

From a distant memory plunger is normally out as per picture the hinged clamp should be sat over plunger, then when you pull the cable the metal hinge pushes in the plunger on the fuel pump for the excess fuel start.

From a distant memory plunger is normally out as per picture the hinged clamp should be sat over plunger, then when you pull the cable the metal hinge pushes in the plunger on the fuel pump for the excess fuel start.

jshepguis:

Yeah, but if I pull the wire it pulls the clamp away from the plunger and it won’t work. Besides, it’s kinda strange if the knob at the other end of the wire is pulled out by default. One could accidentally push the knob down and activate the cold start. It would make more sense if you would have to pull the knob to activate it.

In the UK it was "illegal " for it to be possible to operate the Excess fuel device (cold start device) while the vehicle was in motion. My memory is that it was the cable going to the handle under the front grille which actually worked the cold start. This meant that the driver had to be out of his seat to set it. I think someone has been messing around with this and there is a spring missing from the flap.

The hinged lever needs to go forward so it rests on the pin head, when the cable is connected it will be in that position. I’m almost sure you pushed the cold start control lever/button down and turned it clockwise to lock, this pushed the cold start pin on the fuel pump in, once the engine was running smoothly the control lever was turned anti-clockwise to release the cold start pin. It didn’t need to move very far so the amount the control was out during normal running wasn’t a lot. Just check the pin on the fuel pump goes in and out freely, I’m suspicious the cable has been disconnected for whatever reason. Franky.

i think the cold start procedure was , crouch down in front of lorry, left hand pushed down the throttle paddle to the left of the small grille , right hand pulled out the cold start button at the right hand side of the small grill . we always used the excess fuel button in winter . i think there was also a glow plug heater button on the dash .
tony

tonyj105:
i think the cold start procedure was , crouch down in front of lorry, left hand pushed down the throttle paddle to the left of the small grille , right hand pulled out the cold start button at the right hand side of the small grill . we always used the excess fuel button in winter . i think there was also a glow plug heater button on the dash .
tony

On the ford R Series coach you pulled one cable for throttle then other cable for cold start,both in the front grill.
Cheers Malc.

Great info, but why this ■■■■■■■■■■ procedure of starting the thing?

Glenn74Swe:

This was a procedure only necessary for starting in quite extreme cold. I had a D series when they were current and never needed it. The idea of needing to set it up outside the cab was intended to stop drivers over-fuelling (to get more power) the engine whilst driving.

Glenn74Swe:

wasn’t really a ■■■■■■■■■■ procedure, only took seconds and was something you just got used to , most of our D series were 66 to 73 models , from 4 cylinder up to the 360 turbo , using the excess fuel took a lot less out of the battery , and some of our tractor units used electric winches for mobile homes .

Great cold start device and no heat needed or provided on the D series we had. The last had to be accessed via the hinged front grill(which had to be opened when the cab was tilted). Fords had used a similar device on their original 4 and 6 D type engines, although it was not necessary to open the throttle on the pneumatic governed pumps. Pushing in the button simply allowed the fuel rack to travel further.