N.H.S.

Mazzer2:

Franglais:
There are always instances of silliness in big organizations, the ten men in hi viz with scaffolding to change a lightbulb etc.
Is the NHS really any worse than others?
Being big there will be many examples, but for it’s size is it bad? Would a private organisations be better?
Are Virgin trains or Stagecoach better than national or council transport services?

The difference between a private organisation and the NHS is that if the private organisation is continually run in an inefficient way and using bad practices it will go bust as the money runs out . What are the financial penalties for individuals who screw up in NHS administration? Plenty of cases where someone leaves one trust under a cloud only to reappear in a neighbouring trust in a similar role. Don’t keep to the budget that’s ok the government will just bail you out and if they don’t then we can all slag off the government for not funding the NHS. The UK has one of the unfittest and unhealthiest populations in Europe yet we have free at the point of use health care, perhaps in countries where you pay people take better care of themselves to not only protect their pocket but their health too.

With rail franchise, private companies take Gov subsidies and still pay out dividends. How can that be right? Rail has to fail really badly before they lose their contract, and their bosses don’t loose out financiallyThat much either.
“Private is always more efficient” is not a fact, although it is often said to be so, without evidence. Often repeated by those papers whose owners have fingers in private/public pies.
I think the US has worse public health than the UK, and less public health funding, so I don’t see your arguments there.
(I know you said in Europe, but I don’t accept Euro and US citizens are a different species)

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:
There are always instances of silliness in big organizations, the ten men in hi viz with scaffolding to change a lightbulb etc.
Being big there will be many examples, but for it’s size is it bad? Would a private organisations be better?
Are Virgin trains or Stagecoach better than national or council transport services?

The difference between a private organisation and the NHS is that if the private organisation is continually run in an inefficient way and using bad practices it will go bust as the money runs out . What are the financial penalties for individuals who screw up in NHS administration? Plenty of cases where someone leaves one trust under a cloud only to reappear in a neighbouring trust in a similar role. Don’t keep to the budget that’s ok the government will just bail you out and if they don’t then we can all slag off the government for not funding the NHS. The UK has one of the unfittest and unhealthiest populations in Europe yet we have free at the point of use health care, perhaps in countries where you pay people take better care of themselves to not only protect their pocket but their health too.

With rail franchise, private companies take Gov subsidies and still pay out dividends. How can that be right? Rail has to fail really badly before they lose their contract, and their bosses don’t loose out financiallyThat much either.
“Private is always more efficient” is not a fact, although it is often said to be so, without evidence. Often repeated by those papers whose owners have fingers in private/public pies.
I think the US has worse public health than the UK, and less public health funding, so I don’t see your arguments there.
(I know you said in Europe, but I don’t accept Euro and US citizens are a different species)

Surely makes sense to compare with Europeans as their lifestyle is closer to ours I agree Americans are a different species, so why compare.
Don’t see the relevance of the rail franchises in this argument the NHS is not a franchise so again like comparing apples and pears. The point is that the NHS has become such a sacred cow that meaningful reforms are very hard to carry out because of scaremongering from certain sections of the press and the Labour party(as a side note looks like their going the way of the Guardian in terms of popularity). Efficiencies in the health service are not just about saving money but saving lives and health outcomes and here again the NHS is way behind Europe.

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Surely makes sense to compare with Europeans as their lifestyle is closer to ours I agree Americans are a different species, so why compare.
Don’t see the relevance of the rail franchises in this argument the NHS is not a franchise so again like comparing apples and pears. The point is that the NHS has become such a sacred cow that meaningful reforms are very hard to carry out because of scaremongering from certain sections of the press and the Labour party(as a side note looks like their going the way of the Guardian in terms of popularity). Efficiencies in the health service are not just about saving money but saving lives and health outcomes and here again the NHS is way behind Europe.

I said the US were the same species as we Europeans. You yourself point out they do have a different lifestyle. It seems having having to pay for healthcare doesn’t turn them all into vegans running everywhere.
My mentioning rail was to show that private involvement in state affairs doesn’t automatically bring benefits.
I do agree that NHS performance is not to be measured just financially, but by health outcomes. And I think I tried to make that point: efficiencies of economics will result in a poorer medical service, and that is what we are seeing in recent years.

I agree that private doesn’t automatically equal efficiency but then neither does 100% public ownership, examples like Germany are a good example of mixing the two. Our profession is a good example of how NHS doesn’t work, it is accepted that driving as a profession is detrimental to a drivers health one of the reason for medicals at 45. These medicals are a good way to see how an individuals health is and hopefully any problems can be identified and treated early before they require traumatic surgery or result in death, early action saves the NHS money yet we have to pay for the medical when the effect of it benefits the NHS in both of early intervention and the driver working and being able to pay tax.