Mystery handbrake release

Just been reading the local rag, and it has a very similar story on the first page.

A dustbin lorry parks up in Newbury high street, so the driver can go and get a coffee, or whatever. According to witnesses, the truck had been unattended for about 5 minuets.

Next thing the landlord of the nearest pub gets a suprise when said dustbin lorry tries to enter aformentioned pub through the front door :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Now the paper didnt say whether they think the driver did anything wrong, but surely the truck would have moved sooner, had the parking brake been left off? or would there have been a warning buzzer?

The truck was a Volvo FM 6 wheeler. Luckily no-one was hurt, but can you imagine if this had happened at rush hour!!

Ah! the modern moter
Once upon a time you could just leave it gear :unamused: :unamused:

drew30:
Just been reading the local rag, and it has a very similar story on the first page.

Have you got a link to the original article and, if you know the location, what sort of gradient is it please?

Found the link

Here.

over they years iā€™ve dealt with a few runawaysā€¦nearly all were freely admitted by the driver as driver error.hooking up to trailer leaving the handbrake off then hooking the red line and rolling away,some with truly disastrous results.
one was a bit of a mystery and iā€™ve mentioned it on here beforeā€¦i was at strensham services repairing a volvo fh12 clutch in the early hrs,trucks came and went and a group of army guys arrived in thier trucks and started to brew up nearbyā€¦out the corner of my eye i noticed a shadow pass by,which after the distant crash turned out to be an artic.it had been parked nearby for 5 or 6 minutes then rolled away not hitting anything but striking the high kerb at the bottom of the park.the squaddies all ran down to it and checked for any injured but it was all locked up.the driver returned after 1/2 hr or so and cooly got into the truck and drove offā€¦it had definetly been there for 5 minutes or more before it rolled away.

Essentially, the easiest way to avoid it happening (with a trailer), is to apply the trailer brake. It only takes a few seconds, before and after, and can prevent a load of hassle should the unexpected result

Something iā€™ve been doimg as a matter of course when live loading on a bay for a few years now.
Especially where you donā€™t have to hand the keys in!

Big Joe:
Going to call in the Merc dealer this morning, see if an MP1 hand brake valve will fit, its the old fashioned sliding collar type.

Called in at the Dealer, and asked the service dep if their was a problem with h/brake valves, I sort of knew what the answer was going to be :unamused: , anyway the MP1 valve wonā€™t fit the bracket, and has different connections, and it costs Ā£192, so I settled for a new MP2 valve at a reasonable in comparison cost of Ā£105 :neutral_face: . just got to skin my knuckles this weekend fitting it :grimacing:

Send the old one back to the manufacturer (not the dealership).

If theyā€™ve had a faulty batch then they may wish to look into the matter further.