My VOSA complaint

Hi Gogzy
Port roads are on private land, but the roads that run into them if used by the public turn them into public roads subject to all the laws that relate to said public roads.

If its a port only open to port traffic and no public access is allowed then its a private road on private land.

MacDoog:
In regards to Foreign ‘sheds’ The HRTI teams will be targeting those vehicles.

So not yet then? These “sheds” are on “our” roads now!!!

Why are you not “targeting” these sheds today?

By using the word will in a future tense I meant me…soon…there are 24hr HR teams out and about now. I’ll be let loose soon!!!

So what you meant to say was… the HRTI teams “are” targeting these sheds?

I meant me…soon, doesn’t make sense! Sorry.

MacDoog:
Hi Gogzy
Port roads are on private land, but the roads that run into them if used by the public turn them into public roads subject to all the laws that relate to said public roads.

If its a port only open to port traffic and no public access is allowed then its a private road on private land.

yes that may be true but the area hes saying he got stopped in was a frieght only area which means he was waiting to board the ferry.which is private land.
only part of rosyth dockyard is open to the public but it never used to be like that. the ferry port and the ship building areas are private land that you need to have a pass to get into just like ud need a ticket for the ferry to get int he frieght only area.

Koop:
So what you meant to say was… the HRTI teams “are” targeting these sheds?

I meant me…soon, doesn’t make sense! Sorry.

It makes sense to me…and thats whats important!!! :smiley:

Grogzy…if thats the case then there may be different procedures in place at that particular port…and weve agreed on the laptop anyway!! :smiley:

MacDoog thanks for your reasonable and informed input. Which area do you work in, may end up meeting you sooner or later?!

Also do you have, as I have heard many rumors about, a ‘top 10 style’ hit list for foreign operators?

I know that the company I work for is pretty much stop on sight, have been told as much by the Police and yourselves.

Way I see it is that VOSA keeping the roads safe is a good thing, fair enough.

Targetting Cowboy is also a good thing, targetting Laptops on dashs, whilst watching a Polish ■■■■ movie is a good thing esp if hes on the M1…

Think every one is in agreement…

Now the trucking industry has VOSA as its police force so to speak, and VOSA deem to demand a table on the dash to be a no no, sat navs in the wipers area is a no no, despite the great size of a truck windscree.

OK, so when is VOSA gonna start pulling the prats in cars who have a Sat Nav, bang in the middle of the screen, when are they going to target the chavs with the pop up DVD players in the dash. Pleasedont tell me VOSA aint interested, cos you want all our details at MOT time, with a fine if its late…

switchlogic:
MacDoog thanks for your reasonable and informed input. Which area do you work in, may end up meeting you sooner or later?!

If he told you that then under M15 rules, he would have to kill you :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously, I’m led to believe that the ‘powers’ at VOSA are not that pleased if they find one of ‘theirs’ on sites like this.

I’m just glad we have another ‘expert’ joining us who might be able to assist us in some of the issues we come across within the VOSA remit.

And as I have not yet done this - a belated…

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome MacDoog :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:** ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOARTICWinCE.jpg) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOWDWinCE.jpg) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGORIGIDWinCE.jpg) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOARTICWinCE.jpg) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOWDWinCE.jpg) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGORIGIDWinCE.jpg)

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC and much more…

switchlogic:

Also do you have, as I have heard many rumors about, a ‘top 10 style’ hit list for foreign operators?

I know that the company I work for is pretty much stop on sight, have been told as much by the Police and yourselves.

I will be working as a TE in an HR Team…not in your area I think…if we do meet up you can put on a movie and I’ll rest my cuppa on your table… :smiley:

I cant comment on anything else SL…hope you understand. :exclamation:

MacDoog:
My understanding of port roads is that if they are open to the public.ie. office workers, dock workers travelling to their particular place of work then those roads are public. They are or can be owned and kept in repair by the dock operator.

Once you enter the port, you are within the property bounderies of the Port Authorities/Commission. This includes all roads and pedestrian pavements in the communal transport area, until you reach private land within the Port Authorities property.

So for example you enter the Port, and travel on THEIR (the Port Authorities) roads (formally known as dock roads, or traffic routes and NOT public roads), until you reach for example, DHL’s warehouse, at which point you will enter their (DHL’s) private land.

They are not public roads. The Port Authority has control over who operates in and to/from the port and they should ensure that the standards of driving, road condition, markings and signage, speed control etc are suitable for the vehicle and pedestrian movement through the port.

Hope that clears that up!

I remember something from years back where although dock roads are private land, they are still governed by the road traffic rules. EG Drink Driving.

As for the recent obssesion of VOSA to remove all items from the windsceen.
Is this a response to the recent campaign by cyclists about them getting run over by trucks because they feel they have the right to be stupid enough to sit in the blind spot of a 44 tonne truck and then blame the truck drivers when they get squashed.

MacDoog:
I have not met one ‘jobsworth’ in my area and indeed most go out of their way to inform and warn rather than prohibit at the drop of a hardhat.

Our training is extensive and humanistic and they dont churn out robots.

Hmmm. 24 drivers are to appear in court in March, after an ongoing VOSA investigation into our company. Approx 14 still work for us. The investigation was over 18 months ago. Just last week they where sent letters (i actually seen them my self) to inform them that they where to have their LGV licences suspended for one month commencing the 1st of February. Even though they havn’t been convicted of anything (yet). After several of them contacted VOSA they now have their suspension lifted until their court cases, all this was done rushed about in one week with a lot of concerted effort and concern on the drivers part. One guy (who does not work for us now) informed his employer of his forthcoming driving ban earlier on this week, he was sacked on the spot. Now, he’s not getting a ban, he’s waiting to go to court. He has no job now and neither has he been convicted of anything or been to court yet. Humanistic? Sure you all are. There will be lots more guys who have wore uniforms who have pulled prisoners round on dog leads and thrown puppies off into the rocks who will come into civilian life and get jobs like this sector, and they’ll be the guys puylling us up. Comforting thought hey?

magnumboy:

MacDoog:
My understanding of port roads is that if they are open to the public.ie. office workers, dock workers travelling to their particular place of work then those roads are public. They are or can be owned and kept in repair by the dock operator.

Once you enter the port, you are within the property bounderies of the Port Authorities/Commission. This includes all roads and pedestrian pavements in the communal transport area, until you reach private land within the Port Authorities property.

So for example you enter the Port, and travel on THEIR (the Port Authorities) roads (formally known as dock roads, or traffic routes and NOT public roads), until you reach for example, DHL’s warehouse, at which point you will enter their (DHL’s) private land.

They are not public roads. The Port Authority has control over who operates in and to/from the port and they should ensure that the standards of driving, road condition, markings and signage, speed control etc are suitable for the vehicle and pedestrian movement through the port.

Hope that clears that up!

It cl;ears nothing up. Liverpool Port have notices up saying it is public roads and therefore you ned to have lights/insurance etc. and even the port police will use speed cameras and breathalysers. However they turn a blind eye to the P&O shunters who run around with no trailer lights, road tax etc… Its about as clear as mud. What they mean, but don’t print on the notices is…some of us can do as we like but the rest will do as we say.

Mike-C:

MacDoog:
I have not met one ‘jobsworth’ in my area and indeed most go out of their way to inform and warn rather than prohibit at the drop of a hardhat.

Our training is extensive and humanistic and they dont churn out robots.

Hmmm. 24 drivers are to appear in court in March, after an ongoing VOSA investigation into our company. Approx 14 still work for us. The investigation was over 18 months ago. Just last week they where sent letters (i actually seen them my self) to inform them that they where to have their LGV licences suspended for one month commencing the 1st of February. Even though they havn’t been convicted of anything (yet). After several of them contacted VOSA they now have their suspension lifted until their court cases, all this was done rushed about in one week with a lot of concerted effort and concern on the drivers part. One guy (who does not work for us now) informed his employer of his forthcoming driving ban earlier on this week, he was sacked on the spot. Now, he’s not getting a ban, he’s waiting to go to court. He has no job now and neither has he been convicted of anything or been to court yet. Humanistic? Sure you all are. There will be lots more guys who have wore uniforms who have pulled prisoners round on dog leads and thrown puppies off into the rocks who will come into civilian life and get jobs like this sector, and they’ll be the guys puylling us up. Comforting thought hey?

I believe Ive been honest polite and as open as I can be on this thread and cant comment on the case you mention. Your comparison of VOSA staff to American war criminals is truly astounding especially coming from a moderator of this forum. If you want the general public and enforcement agencies to believe in the profession of driving for a living I suggest you moderate your own written thoughts in a forum that is open to everyone.

And Rog…thanks for the welcome banner mate…I was beginning to feel left out!! :smiley:

MacDoog:
Your comparison of VOSA staff to American war criminals is truly astounding especially coming from a moderator of this forum. If you want the general public and enforcement agencies to believe in the profession of driving for a living I suggest you moderate your own written thoughts in a forum that is open to everyone.

If you’re going to mention how open you are and how friendly you all are and how you have worn previous uniforms then i believe its pertinent to get it into context what these previous uniforms that YOU mentioned are/or do. Lets not beat around the bush here, you’re refering to an Army uniform. Now forgive me if i’m not PC, but the last thing i knew was that the army are trained killers, maybe on our behalf, or for our greater good etc…and i am not knocking that. Just stating a fact, you don’t join the army to go feed the worlds poor do you? The Army are a fighting force. Get your man, kill or be killed, and there is a general competitive machoness in the job. I’m not comparing VOSA staff to American war criminals at all, you mentioned previos uniforms, i’m mentioning what them previous uniforms have done. They’re not isolated cases, do you want some more? And thats what VOSA and the TC have done. None of it looks good does it? I’ll drive my lorry, you just look out for the bad guys. Don’t expect me to moderate myself, we have other moderators to do that.

MacDoog:
Hi Gogzy

So if the delivery van, my guests and turning neighbours are using my driveway is that’s mean that it’s become public road? :smiley:

personally i nthink most vosa are over zealous they dont work with you .got stopped one day pg 9 under inflated tyre he saw a tiny bubble of air coming out of a wet tyre could nt find anything else wrong with lorry we were on a big pipe line contract where residents were complaining at the time.

orys:

MacDoog:
Hi Gogzy

So if the delivery van, my guests and turning neighbours are using my driveway is that’s mean that it’s become public road? :smiley:

Hang on, your a Pole, i’d say you’d be running a buisness from your home with all that traffic :smiley:

I USED to have a fair opinion of VOSA staff. Like Switch, I work for a ‘known’ firm too. Bad enough that most of the buggers at Leatherhead know us by name.
Two weeks ago today, I came round the North Circular heading for the 25, A3 and home to start a 45+. This was about 130pm. As I reached Hangar Lane, I wondered which way to go… down to the 4 and along to the 25 or straight onto the 40 and along. Unfortunately, I made the wrong decision. I turned onto the 40. A bit before Northolt Airfield, I spotted a VOSA vehicle parked up … I was passing 2 tippers at the time. Next thing Mr. VOSA races along and pulls right in front of me, slows to about 35-40 and on comes the matrix ‘Follow me’ it said. I sighed to myself and followed him. Now I don’t really know this area well but we drove along and I was beginning to wonder where the hell we were going. We got close to the start of the M40 and I was beginning to think this was a joke. The car pulled off and went down to wards Uxbridge. I wasn’t too happy at this as I had no idea where we were going. Round one roundabout and deeper into the countryside we went. Now I was starting to wonder if this was an ill informed hi jack ( I was empty). We approached another roundabout and I sounded my horn wanting to know where we were going. They went onto the roundabout as as I followed them off, they suddenly stopped causing me to slap my brakes on BUT leaving two thirds of my trailer sticking out onto the roundabout!!! I hollered out the window at them asking ‘What the ■■■■ they were playing at’. The guy in the passenger seat got out of the car and pointed at the matrix in a very ‘official’ manner. Now we were turning right and I locked the doors and got ready to do a bit of ‘getting out of here’. We were heading into deep countryside, it seemed. Next they turned left and into a weighbridge!! (Apparently it is the Denham one) I couldn’t even see it from high up and there were no notices. I pulled up and was NOT a happy bunny at all. Now these two guys may have thought they were the Bees Knees in their bright yellow VOSA coats but the passenger wasn’t the smartest cookie in the jar. My truck may be registered in Holland but it is a RHD and the very English company name was plastered along the front. He got out of his car, strutted over to his colleagues who were all stood around looking a bit perplexed and his exact words were “We got a right ■■■■ here … lets see how long he has been sat behind the wheel. I am sure you’ll find something”. At this I lost my rag!! I leapt out of the cab, and went for him giving him some good old Anglo Saxon language about the way they had carried on. He absolutely ■■■■ himself and dived back into the car telling me it was the drivers fault I had been stuck on the roundabout. I then had a right go at the others standing there and told them how the other two had carried on. I ending up getting apoligies from them for the behaviour BUT they never let me go lol.
I handed over all my cards and the girl went off them and then the wheeltapper started. I just sat there knowing there was nothing wrong with the cards. 45 minutes later she re appeared and told me I was in need of a weekly break. I politely told her she was interrupting it by holding me there!! So then she asked me how many hours I intended resting. I told her the full 45 plus the 21 I ‘owed’. This seemed to satisfy her and she left telling me to make sure I took the full amount of time off.
Then the wheeltapper reappears. After doing all those little things they ask i pressing brake pedals etc and flicking lights on and off, he disappeared again.
Ten minutes later, he comes back and says all is well EXCEPT I have a bulge in my front n/s tyre. I get out to have a look and ask “Where■■? I can’t see a bulge!!!” He said there pointing. I still couldn’t see anything!! He marked a big area on the tyre and said there. Now I know I wear glasses but I honestly couldn’t see anything wrong with the tyre! He got me to feel the wall of the tyre and lo and behold, there was the slightest of slight ripples on the wall from the wheel towards the tread. He then came out with those immortal words “I am going to have park you up, driver till it is fixed”. I couldn’t believe this crap and asked could I run back to one of our depots as I was empty and he was Mr Jobsworth. Oh no, sucking his teeth … more than I dare do!
I phoned the boss who was as happy as you can imagine. He got on to our tyre people (Trucktyre) and arranged for a tyre to be bought out.
By now it is 330 and these ■■■■■■■■ want to go home. They said they would get a tyre company out to which I told them they would be paying if they did as we use Trucktyre and no one else. The wheeltapper gave me his phone number and told me to ring him when the fitter arrived and he would come back down and lift the GV9. The fitter arrived at 415 and was in hysterics when I showed him the ‘bulge’. He said that as far as he was concerned there was nothing wrong with the tyre. Hankooks do that sometimes anyway, he said.
Anyway, he changed the tyre and I rang the wheeltapper. The ■■■■■■■ then took another hour to get back and after looking at the tyre, proceeded to give me the paperwork saying the ban had been lifted. I finally got away at 6pm.
So, Mr Bloody VOSA, you may have been johhny smartass this time but I have a long memory.
You wonder why we hold so many of you in contempt, MacDoog?? This is a perfect illustration why!!