My last straw with RDC's

BUT . . . . . . . . . .

Part of the definition/interpretation of “workplace” is . . .

“workplace” means, subject to paragraph (2), any premises or part of premises which are not domestic premises and are made available to any person as a place of work, and includes–
(a) any place within the premises to which such person has access while at work; and
(b) any room, lobby, corridor, staircase, road or other place used as a means of access to or egress from that place of work or where facilities are provided for use in connection with the place of work other than a public road;
but shall not include a modification, an extension or a conversion of any of the above until such modification, extension or conversion is completed.

The bit in red concerns me a little in so much as - Could it be argued that Tesco et al could argue thay haven’t made such places available ? (to visiting drivers)

Does this help anyone ?
hse.gov.uk/contact/callback.htm

I’m based at Tossco Middleditch and I work for ESL.

I can confirm that even drivers based there (such as me) don’t currently get cards to use the “restaurant” instead,if were lucky, we can borrow a visitors card that charges a premium over cards issued to ESL office staff.

So unless you borrow a card that’s actually issued to an ESL manager / office bod, then you can’t get food on site any more.

Another reason why I shop at Asda… :stuck_out_tongue:

dambuster:
BUT . . . . . . . . . .

“workplace” means, subject to paragraph (2), any premises or part of premises which are not domestic premises and are made available to any person as a place of work, and includes–
(a) any place within the premises to which such person has access while at work; and
(b) any room, lobby, corridor, staircase, road or other place used as a means of access to or egress from that place of work or where facilities are provided for use in connection with the place of work other than a public road;
but shall not include a modification, an extension or a conversion of any of the above until such modification, extension or conversion is completed.

The bit in red concerns me a little in so much as - Could it be argued that Tesco et al could argue they haven’t made such places available ? (to visiting drivers)

I believe that the interpretation being used (By HSE) is that as you are not employed by that firm it is not your “Workplace” therefore you are not their responsibility. :confused: :confused:

annitram:

dambuster:
BUT . . . . . . . . . .

The bit in red concerns me a little in so much as - Could it be argued that Tesco et al could argue they haven’t made such places available ? (to visiting drivers)

I believe that the interpretation being used (By HSE) is that as you are not employed by that firm it is not your “Workplace” therefore you are not their responsibility. :confused: :confused:

You and your welfare are very much their responsibility whilst on site, and they do have a legal duty/obligation to you .
Whilst we’re on about bad ones, anyone been to Costco at Lutterworth? Thats great, even a food hatch to the canteen in the drivers waiting room, bacon sarnies and a cuppa tea, can’t fault them !!

If I went to an RDC and they refused to let me use the loo’s then I’d just simply take a ■■■■■ against a wall or something…what’s the worst they’ll do?..ban you from the RDC? Fine…atleast I wouldn’t have to go back there and have the same problem!

What else would they do?..call the police and report you?..fine, contact a local newspaper and a national newspaper…I’m sure they’d love the story, and you never know, it may open up a debate in the public domain and you’d see some changes. To put it simply if they’d treat me like crap then I’ll treat them like crap.

The only thing I think drivers should be entitled to is 1) Toilets. 2) Drinking Water and 3) Somewhere warm to sit when being unloaded/loaded that’s out of the elements.

The canteen to buy food should be left to the RDC’s discretion…as a driver you should take food with you or stop at a garage and buy some there. What if you got stuck on the M20 for 10 hours…would you then still blame RDC’s for not having food available to you?