My first weeks adventures

Yep it was me as the roof of the truck is damaged not too badly but bad enough! Lesson has been learnt the hard way as you guys say I am taking my time and getting round with no damage now! I had never driven an 18 tonner before but now I know for next time!

i was as others have said always told go round the block etc my 1st run on my own involved a blind side reverse with bollards etc everywhere luckily a driver hung onto my mirror and gave me a hand as i had a twin steer with almost no lock! much sweating later and more shunts than austin powers i got it in! the 2nd run was safeway at bellshill full of confidence in my ability to blind side reverse i backed into the trailer on the next bay :blush: the shunter who was about 80 said go turn roudn make life easy for yourself something i never forgot and ALWAYS used in future luckily no damadge to the trailer so got away with it :sunglasses: .
a mistake is only worth making if you learn from it!

spectron:
If you did do the damage can’t believe you didn’t notice or hear it catch.

Sent from my iPad.

I think in the original post he spotted what he thought was the hazard so his attention was in the wrong place.
You can’t beat experience.

hgvhgv:
Thanks for the advice folks I give that corner a very wide birth now! For your amusement below are some pics :slight_smile:

Good grief, that’s nothing, i can do more damage than that with my eyes closed :unamused:

If that’s the worst that’s happened in your first couple of weeks then i think you’ll be ok :slight_smile:

hgvhgv:
Yep it was me as the roof of the truck is damaged not too badly but bad enough! Lesson has been learnt the hard way as you guys say I am taking my time and getting round with no damage now! I had never driven an 18 tonner before but now I know for next time!

Not to worry. Being a complete novice, it won’t be the last time you wreck a truck or damage the load.
No doubt they’ll forgive your failings until they find someone that can drive.

Haha thanks mate! Or someone who has the cpc would never happen to them!

I did the same sort of thing as you mate on my first week solo, these things happen . Theres some really good advice in here, take it all on board and you’ll be alright.

To add to the advice, what ever your doing driving forward or reversing into somewhere, take your time even if you’ll done it loads of times before, because you look like more of a ■■■ when you hit something than if you got out a thousand times to check.

I did the same sort of thing as you mate on my first week solo, these things happen . Theres some really good advice in here, take it all on board and you’ll be alright.

To add to the advice, what ever your doing driving forward or reversing into somewhere, take your time even if you’ll done it loads of times before, because you look like more of a ■■■ when you hit something than if you got out a thousand times to check.

One of our drivers was getting a new bumper fitted the other day, I asked him if it was through deer hunting, but he said he had caught it on a post as he was concentrating on not ripping the sleeper off with the trailer on a jacknife reverse. One obstacle is enough to worry about it would seem. I’m saying SFA, don’t want to tempt fate :laughing:

You learn as you go along. Good luck for the rest of the week