MY driving and work history from 1980

After 2 or 3 days doing odd jobs around the house I thought it was time to look for employment again ,I knew what I wanted, that was European not uk work ,I worked the phone and phoned transport firms all over the country just asking for a job.

I had one good responce from Hereford they asked for a cv to be sent ,I sort of made it up on lined papernote paper ,it was European work in fact I had done some subcontract work before for them [Sun Valley transport] Turkey meat producers however they wanted drivers to be based in Hereford as when the trucks returned from a European trip they are used for local day, and night deliverys, so a driver would not be able to sleep in it at nights and there was no exception all trucks were used in the operation.

The traffic manager had also been a employee of Blue Funnell shipping he remarked on my CV.there was a connection, small as it was ,however I was not preparied to live in bed and breakfast while waiting for a euro trip,and doing local work so that died a death.
A week had passed and not a lot was happing for me I thought maybe i will have to rethink my strategy and get in to uk work I decided to ring Bowkers once again and ask for anything not just European, after speaking to the traffic they said come and see us ,and I did.
I was offered a job I think it was replacing someone who was retiring,or whatever came up,I snapped it up there and then,I was told to report 8 am Monday

I took all my gear with me and I would stay at the depot some nights instead of driving back to Blackpool every night whatever the time also it would show them that they could use me, there were some old units to sleep in I did check with the manager first and he ok it that is how I started at Bowkers.a pub and supermarket nearly next door good toilets in the yard, it worked out very well of course I did not get any night out expenses while in the yard ,that was down to me

Some euro work was coming up as a drivers were going on holidays the majority of Bowkers trucks were “Volvo” units, also road trains.
.The road trains were twin axel rear chassis /boxes, some were demountable ,some were normal type trailers, with sliding curtain sides,but were attached to the chassis.the boxes for the cargo were all fitted with side boards just like a old type tilt and to keep the cargo sucure, also ring bolts in the floors for attaching straps all the cargo boxes had rear doors.
Some of the trailers were telescopic, there were no dollys like most of the European ones,plus they are harder to reverse as these road trains are the same as a articulated trailer.

The majority of work was to ITALY I was to find out it suited me they had some wll established work and customers I should have went on to drive dry freight years ago instead of fridge work .but for Bowkers not ACH.
Once I had got my first trip out of the way, via the Hull depot that was where all loads were transhipped, extra put on or loads swapped around altogether you could leave Preston with a load you think you will deliver but by the time they finished the delivers would change I liked that you never knew where you would end up.

The HULL ferry to either ZEBBRUGE, or ROTTERDAM was like the BOWKERS own private ferry,good food good everthing it made part of the job enjoyable.and of course a beer or two.
Once off at Zeebrugge a short run up to the garage another Bowkers home the drivers were all well known there ,it took me a long time to get used to getting off a ferry, then within 5 minutes you would all fill up with diesel then park up ,stroll over to the office incase any change of plans, they would all sit about chat.

They would drink,another horrible [not boiled water coffee] no sence of time to get on the move, get going ,get something done ,it was such a relaxed job I loved it and I had only just started but I could see this is the way they work in actual fact over my time there 70% of the drivers had no idea about hurry up.where did I go wrong!!!

I seemed to have been doing European all the time and loved it,I thought [ you know what I have earned this]what a job .
As with all jobs, men, move around for all kinds of reasons the only draw back I could see at Bowkers was it was mostly weekends away or shipping out Saturday or Sunday ,a lot of the younger men did not like it after time it takes a time to relise what you are missing and European starts to loose its draw.

I was lucky to be employed at BOWKERS as apperently they would only employer men from their Lankashire area so I was told ,however another man from the south had manged to get a job there he paved the way I am pleased he did ,lots of banter was to be had all and a couple more southerners arriverd [knees up mother brown]

All .of the work was really good you could leave BAMBER BRIDGE at 1200 hrs drive to Phillips warehouse or factory in DURHAM load a full load of television screens in special pallets by the time you had dropped the boxes and loaded it would be around 1700 you then drove to TEESPORT caught the night ferry it left about 2200hrs to zeebrugge only freight drivers single cabin ,room for about 10 drivers excellent food ,tv video beer,comfortable lounge .that would arrive around 1400 then you had a drive to Milan,MONZA you had some much time it was unreal .

If you were unlucky you would have loaded for Paris a local however you would probly go to ITALY empty from there all Phillips were timed deliverys as the screens were coming from every where.
Also when I first started on European I said that there were like wooden boxes and table tops that fitted /clipped near the windscreen storage or cooking on,very neat but basic plwood I now know where theycome from one of bowkers drivers makes them and they are sold in the zebbruge garage one of the long standing drivers.

I found out some of the drivers did not have a “class one” LGV however they could drive road trains.
BOWKERS still used the system of the oldest driver gets the new trucks and it goes down the line, like it used to at most companies.that was fine as all the trucks they had were 100% maintained no exception.

Some of the older hands [I was about the same age as most of the exsperanced older men there ] would only drive artics not the road trains, fair enough ,however some seemed to be a bit,” do as I say” to the younger men on the road trains ,it was a different job to the artics, some were a bit of a bad influence they were exsperanced, but only in there regular runs a bit like being on a milk run.
I was being treated the same as all the other road train men ,we had some realy good work from all over Italy lots of weekends away but the night out money.was good .

After time a few men had left and some new faces came there was never no lying from the traffic office all very relaxed and the boss would chat to you if fact I could not fault any one working there at all.

I had a change of road train,from a top sleeper to a proper sleeper ,I had got used to the roof sleeping however the doulble bunk is better also Volvo have interdouced a tracking system and Bowkers are testing it back then I did not have a mobile phone, let alone used a lap top or computer it was completly new to me, it was like the now SAT NAV you could follow your driving progress along the road you were going plus orders from the office would come in on the screen no looking for a phone also a delivery address would come via that, plus you could sent a meesage to the office .

I found it brillent ,also the first time I used a key pad all new back then.
What I liked was you could and would go whichever way through France OR Germany you wanted to within reason ,in fact I used to go most ways on my own, we all knew each others destanations and would arrange where we would be for the week end.
I could tell you most of the customers and destinations we went to, but it would take for ever, they had some really,really, good long distance work.

Some of the work was just brillent ,sam Anderson from Scotland would take to the hull depot 3 cast like cruciblles fof steel works
,they would load 4 into a road train [legal in Europe ],they would go to a steel works near Marseille at port-st Louis in the camarg region,then once you striped all ther side boards, out a massive fork lift would lift them off you were right next to the finesses you could see the inside of the steel works .

Once empty normally I went and had a shower in their massive shower block then all set up for a drive to numerous places sometimes I would dip my toe in to MARSEILLE and go down the dock area just to look at the ships then along the coast a bit but as you neared NICE it was time for the autoroute you would be able to look down on all the resorts cannes monaco etc some of the parking areas have the best view you could see.

Up through the VENT now defunct [customs boarder post] then coast road direction Genova [WHEN YOU drive from AOSTA GENOVA] the road drops so fast you actually go past blocks of flats you can see in the rooms then you would look left and trucks would be going way up high above you ,then you drop down to the docks and the road goes right out over the docks in a semi circile like floating then you rejoin the auto strada .ONE THINGi will say about the ITAILIENS Austrians Swiss and the FRENCH they need no lessons of road,bridge ,and tunnel buildings they have got that sewn up.

More than once I tried to count all the `bridges and tunnels you go through along that route and never finished, ever, lots of the tunnels were still as the miners had finished the roofs and sides not smooth concrete down to livorno then inland as far down as Caserta ,or Potensia and load washing machines or any white goods ,no hassle from the office just get on and do it and with BOWKERS I can honestly say on all the runs we had I did not run bent whatsoever you never needed to,you would have been sacked immediately.

You would load laminate from Blackburn perhaps 6 drops all over Italy then return to ASTI[yes the plonk place]and load lamanite back to the uk.full loads of cookers ,light bulbs,mama-papas kids buggeys ,range cookers,fridges,all kinds of goods from ITALY and AUSTRIA cookers,BAXI BOILERS BASSANO –DE GRAPPA in the hills.

It was the best job I have ever had ,mind you it only took around 30 years of looking for it ,but sadly that all ended for me on March the 9th 2002 around 2pm.
We had a brillent job from near TRENTO bassano- de grappa ,bring back central heating boilers back to BAMBER BRIDGE we used to come back Austra then please your self which way you come back from germany stuttgart to luxembourg ,[cheap diesel ] and ■■■■ and tobacco for the cigarette tobacco barons .

All so another cracking job was Kellogs from either Manchester or Wrexham no rush you were given a DAY when to deliver if you were to early they would not unload you so we learnt to go the proper day and time as the Kellogs product was coming from Spain and France,we had some hazels there with obivisioly the Spaniards they would leave there motors on the unloading bay and just zb off, when it was our time to unload to get on there bay they were no where to be found.

There was one little irritant ,the man who swept around the yard most of us English lads did not leave litter but he would blame us ,he rode around on a 3 wheel bike with a basket on the front to pick anything up around the loading bays,also he rode inside and used to leave it by the bogs [big mistake] as you could imagine it only wanted two of us and that was enough the bike would end up all over the place with the chain off. Chewing gum under the handlebar, it was so funny ,once someone tied a plastic tie clip ound the spokes of the wheel to the frame ?

We had to walk through all of the warehouse to have a wash and he hated us using it but we never left it messie well I did not non the wiser but grunting he hated us out of all the drivers going there us bowkers were the only one that seemed to use thev wash facilitys we had permission to do so.

anyway there were 3 of us there and the manager came out and asked us to go in the office and told us about the bike etc it had to stop ,etc so that was that in the end he had to leave his bike by the office and walk like us -result
A couple of weeks later I was on my own I pulled in etc and went to take my cmr in [no customs papers] then “mussolini the bike” came round to my cab and stated waving his fists and shouting something he had some paper like crisp packets in his hand ,I looked at them and the were Spanish packets I told him where to and in the office I go and shown the chap this is not English rubbish, this was getting ridiculous ,he follows me in and starts mouthing and the office chap tells him to go this office bod his English is good .
The office bod tells me apparently someone had jammed his handle bars so tight that they would not work, [I knew who did that ].anyway it all is good i am on the bay .

,I go to the toilet to wash and shave] and he is there again, so I say zb off and do my bit and come out then get my stuff together and he goes in the loo,if any one who knows Italy they all ways have big keys in the doors,i thought right ,he had forgot to take it in with him,so as true as I am sitting here I went and locked him in and zb off.back to my cab.

I put my gear away ,sat about a bit ,then made my way back ,he is zbing screaming, so I banged on the door and used our native language and did not let him out I, next thing a italien came in to go to the loo, and he could hear and see what was going on so I walked out and the key in the door.

I went back quite a few times after there was always a bowker truck delivering ,nothing was ever said to me ,and he never came anyway near he got the message.he did have some clout with the loaders we were told later his brother was one of the unloaders forman, that is why some of the other trucks were left on the bay .

DRIVING left hand drive, was normal to me by now and all the other drivers if fact I had not driven a right hand drive [normal] lorry/truck for 5 years , this day I have just had a break at Wolverhampton truck stop ,next stop home, traffic is quite heavy ,on the M6.

Am I botherd, now I am , approaching the first Stafford turn ,traffic is starting to back up a bit ,it is getting heavy both sides of the motoway ,I just keep in the nearside lane still moving 20/30mph then it picks up and then we are all way again, for about a mile ,all flowing normall ,then quicker than normal brake lights are blazing and the cars in front are starting to get closer as i am braking.
Next thing I knowI!!! I am lifted out of my seat,I am standing up and my foot has pressed full down on the accelerator pedal and I am picking up speed i am in second gear,what the zb is happening.

The cars in front are so getting closer, my mind is telling me to brake, my left foot is on the exhauster and I move my right over to the brake and I am pressing both through the floor,and trying to steer the truck i could not take my hands off the wheels to snap the hand brake on, I was hoping the engine would stall as I was still in gear, I was trying to steer on to the hard shoulder and I cannot, I am standing up holing on to the steering wheel .l and I glance in my offside mirror and its like what the zb,some cars are going past blowing their horns,and the cars in front are getting so close i thought ohh no i am going to plough in to the back of the cars.

I am trying to steer in to the hard shoulder and its not working ,then out of the blue the cars in front slowly start to move away,in slow motion, still to this day they have no idea how very close they were to being crushed from behind.
Then there is none ,not a car in front all gone,in seconds all 3 lanes ahead are empty by this time I have stopped,hand bake on run back down the hard shoulder to see what has happened,I get to the rear and zb me, this is this massive ,I think a scania unit green I think, with its trailer over on its side full off ■■■■ seed.flowing out over the carriageway .

It all looks a disaster ,and smoke is starting to come from the back of the unit ,the wheels and tyres of the unit still are at a hard right steering angle,the cab is upright, its a mess then I look up and the driver is sat still in his cab his head on his arms as if asleep ,smoke is starting to come up from the back of the unit ,but the driver is still in his cab not moving .

I turn run back to my truck pull the little fire extinguisher out and run back and no one else is there only me,!!! I start to spray the flames now coming from under the back of the cab, its no good the small useless fire extinguisher, and like a prick I throw it down and it goes under the unit,

I turn and run around to the cab ,and stand on the right offside tyre which is below the drivers door,and try to open the door and its jammed
I bang on the window the driver looks at me and indercates his foot is stuck,and he cannot open the door and smoke is starting to get in the cab,I am still on my own, until at that moment a young chap runs round ,I shout, find some to break this zb window, like a prat I had threw the fire extinqusher under the unit.

I am still standing on the tyre trying to open the door ,no chance,the chap runs back with a pice of metal from the unit,I have no idea to this day what is was, I lean back and smash the window.

I grab the driver by the right arm ,smoke all around us both, he must be near choking ,he must have freed his foot as he was trying to lift himself out of his seat ,but no to good I lean in and put my arm under his arm pit and pull him up,and get him moving out and he is pushing ,so his his head and shoulders are out of the window ,the other chap is on the road, and I pull and heave the driver is pushing it is starting to get hot ,the cab is full of acrid black smoke now we are both coughing it was very close that I was going to have to leave him.

The drivers shoulders are out and he helps, but he is now coming out he is upside down, his head by my chest, his legs higher up I pull him again and the other chap now has his head and shoulders I grab his waist and heave ,we both fall/jump on the deck his legs are all over the place I had fell off the tyre and we are now a big zb heap we get up –ish and bounce him on the floor and drag him away, just as all that happens you would not believe it, both tyres explode,right where were ,not even seconds we felt the heat rush from the cab is a blazing inferno ,we only just got him, and we both[all three of us] were lucky,
the cab was a blazing haulk. I do not know to this day, who the driver was ,or who he worked for, i never met him again but it was his lucky day.

.Many have done the same and/or would do BOTH OF US WERE AWARDED BY THE POLICE AND FIRE SERVICE BRAVERY AWARDS. I never went to collect mine they sent it buy post, to busy working …

What puzzeled me after why there were not more people around but they could not get passed the blazing truck it took the whole 3 lanes, the other chap who helped was going to a interview for a job at ASDA he was a god send.I wonder if he got the job ?

After it all calmed downish for us there where police in civilian clothes and police baseball caps on and the firemen where every where all the load went up in flames the motoway was a mass of black smoke but it was blowing away from us,I looked at my trailer and my god, he had whacked and crushed a great number of the boilers not all of them.i had pulled away from the flames.

,After a while the police told me I can drop the trailer where it was and go home with the front end.and that is what I did I RANG THE OFFICE told them what was going on I got back to the yard and reported all I knew then went home…

.How the press got hold of my home phone I do not know, however my wife said they wanted a interview, and she would know that would be the last thing I would want or do and told them that however it was in the papers but they got it wrong.

After 3 days off I went back to work nothing more was said or done I had a new trailer and it was work as normal,At that time I was wearing glasses and had been for a few years,all was good also been on high blood pressure tablets for years it was under control as was I from the doctors every 3 months
I

It must have been about 3 months after the bump on the M6 I was on the M62,coming back from Hull on a tuesday morning after getting off the Ferry I was approaching Manchester area I looked at one of the road overhead signs why I do not know as like us all we knew that road like it was our local route,however all the words just all seemed to mush up together I could not read it, I thought the zb bloody glasses,I just rubbed my eyes it seemed a bit foggy haze but carried on back to base ,then home for 2 days off as per normal.

Once home,I told my wife about my eyes,and said i am going to the optician tomorrow and sort these ■■■■■■ glasses out ,maybe get some new ones, I had a appointment 3pm next day .

Everthing was normal that day,I went to the optician had a eye test and told her what had happened ,so she said I will give you another type of test ,and she did, what I did not know was, while I was in having the second test again,someone from there shop had rang my doctors as they have all information ,and they were close by in cleveleys ,Blackpool.

When she had finished the test, basicially it was a light test and I had not seen the projected lights showing from 9oclock around to 12 oclock like a quater of a circle ,to them that indercated the blood vessels were broken, meaning I was very close to a stroke ,however I have had T.I.A TRANSIENT ESCAMIC ATTACK. And must now go to the doctors immediately .ok ,so that is what I did…
Once there he told me of there findings and he said, sorry, but that is you finished with your HGV,you lose your liecence, from now, he was notifying Swansea today and that was it.

I rang Bowkers and told them, and that was that ,I never set foot in their depot again or in any lorry again.
My life changed in a instance I could drive my car,I had been taking blood pressure tablets for years ,they never increased my medication,after time I had tests at the hospital with forms from Swansea to get my license back but twice i completed the tests well I thought I had .

Swansea refused me my licence The main test is a walking machine is starts ok then starts to go on to a incline in the end it is like trying to walk up a sand hill with flip flops on, the man[technician ] there tells you nothing ,apparently it is strain on your heart [ the test]who knows I never fully found out ,they just refuse I had the opportunity to go to court to try to get the licence back however my Doctor told me that I will never get it back as t.i.a is so unpredictable just live you life ,so get on with it.

So I realized that was it.everything has its reasons I would not be living where I am now ,if I had stayed in Blackpool.i could have worked in the yard ,but insurance says that I was a risk …THAT IS IT THE END OF MY WORKING HISTORY BUT THIS RETIREMENT IS THE BEST JOB.

What a sh-t way to end your driving career but an absolutely spellbinding story peggydeckboy. Thank you for taking the time to get it into print. At least your memory hasn’t been affected even though other aspects of your health let you down. Enjoy your retirement.

Enjoyed reading your expliots Mate, enjoy your retirement.

peggydeckboy:
I went back quite a few times after there was always a bowker truck delivering ,nothing was ever said to me ,and he never came anyway near he got the message.he did have some clout with the loaders we were told later his brother was one of the unloaders forman, that is why some of the other trucks were left on the bay .

DRIVING left hand drive, was normal to me by now and all the other drivers if fact I had not driven a right hand drive [normal] lorry/truck for 5 years , this day I have just had a break at Wolverhampton truck stop ,next stop home, traffic is quite heavy ,on the M6.

Am I botherd, now I am , approaching the first Stafford turn ,traffic is starting to back up a bit ,it is getting heavy both sides of the motoway ,I just keep in the nearside lane still moving 20/30mph then it picks up and then we are all way again, for about a mile ,all flowing normall ,then quicker than normal brake lights are blazing and the cars in front are starting to get closer as i am braking.
Next thing I knowI!!! I am lifted out of my seat,I am standing up and my foot has pressed full down on the accelerator pedal and I am picking up speed i am in second gear,what the zb is happening.

The cars in front are so getting closer, my mind is telling me to brake, my left foot is on the exhauster and I move my right over to the brake and I am pressing both through the floor,and trying to steer the truck i could not take my hands off the wheels to snap the hand brake on, I was hoping the engine would stall as I was still in gear, I was trying to steer on to the hard shoulder and I cannot, I am standing up holing on to the steering wheel .l and I glance in my offside mirror and its like what the zb,some cars are going past blowing their horns,and the cars in front are getting so close i thought ohh no i am going to plough in to the back of the cars.

I am trying to steer in to the hard shoulder and its not working ,then out of the blue the cars in front slowly start to move away,in slow motion, still to this day they have no idea how very close they were to being crushed from behind.
Then there is none ,not a car in front all gone,in seconds all 3 lanes ahead are empty by this time I have stopped,hand bake on run back down the hard shoulder to see what has happened,I get to the rear and zb me, this is this massive ,I think a scania unit green I think, with its trailer over on its side full off ■■■■ seed.flowing out over the carriageway .

It all looks a disaster ,and smoke is starting to come from the back of the unit ,the wheels and tyres of the unit still are at a hard right steering angle,the cab is upright, its a mess then I look up and the driver is sat still in his cab his head on his arms as if asleep ,smoke is starting to come up from the back of the unit ,but the driver is still in his cab not moving .

I turn run back to my truck pull the little fire extinguisher out and run back and no one else is there only me,!!! I start to spray the flames now coming from under the back of the cab, its no good the small useless fire extinguisher, and like a prick I throw it down and it goes under the unit,

I turn and run around to the cab ,and stand on the right offside tyre which is below the drivers door,and try to open the door and its jammed
I bang on the window the driver looks at me and indercates his foot is stuck,and he cannot open the door and smoke is starting to get in the cab,I am still on my own, until at that moment a young chap runs round ,I shout, find some to break this zb window, like a prat I had threw the fire extinqusher under the unit.

I am still standing on the tyre trying to open the door ,no chance,the chap runs back with a pice of metal from the unit,I have no idea to this day what is was, I lean back and smash the window.

I grab the driver by the right arm ,smoke all around us both, he must be near choking ,he must have freed his foot as he was trying to lift himself out of his seat ,but no to good I lean in and put my arm under his arm pit and pull him up,and get him moving out and he is pushing ,so his his head and shoulders are out of the window ,the other chap is on the road, and I pull and heave the driver is pushing it is starting to get hot ,the cab is full of acrid black smoke now we are both coughing it was very close that I was going to have to leave him.

The drivers shoulders are out and he helps, but he is now coming out he is upside down, his head by my chest, his legs higher up I pull him again and the other chap now has his head and shoulders I grab his waist and heave ,we both fall/jump on the deck his legs are all over the place I had fell off the tyre and we are now a big zb heap we get up –ish and bounce him on the floor and drag him away, just as all that happens you would not believe it, both tyres explode,right where were ,not even seconds we felt the heat rush from the cab is a blazing inferno ,we only just got him, and we both[all three of us] were lucky,
the cab was a blazing haulk. I do not know to this day, who the driver was ,or who he worked for, i never met him again but it was his lucky day.

.Many have done the same and/or would do BOTH OF US WERE AWARDED BY THE POLICE AND FIRE SERVICE BRAVERY AWARDS. I never went to collect mine they sent it buy post, to busy working …

What puzzeled me after why there were not more people around but they could not get passed the blazing truck it took the whole 3 lanes, the other chap who helped was going to a interview for a job at ASDA he was a god send.I wonder if he got the job ?

After it all calmed downish for us there where police in civilian clothes and police baseball caps on and the firemen where every where all the load went up in flames the motoway was a mass of black smoke but it was blowing away from us,I looked at my trailer and my god, he had whacked and crushed a great number of the boilers not all of them.i had pulled away from the flames.

,After a while the police told me I can drop the trailer where it was and go home with the front end.and that is what I did I RANG THE OFFICE told them what was going on I got back to the yard and reported all I knew then went home…

.How the press got hold of my home phone I do not know, however my wife said they wanted a interview, and she would know that would be the last thing I would want or do and told them that however it was in the papers but they got it wrong.

After 3 days off I went back to work nothing more was said or done I had a new trailer and it was work as normal,At that time I was wearing glasses and had been for a few years,all was good also been on high blood pressure tablets for years it was under control as was I from the doctors every 3 months
I

It must have been about 3 months after the bump on the M6 I was on the M62,coming back from Hull on a tuesday morning after getting off the Ferry I was approaching Manchester area I looked at one of the road overhead signs why I do not know as like us all we knew that road like it was our local route,however all the words just all seemed to mush up together I could not read it, I thought the zb bloody glasses,I just rubbed my eyes it seemed a bit foggy haze but carried on back to base ,then home for 2 days off as per normal.

Once home,I told my wife about my eyes,and said i am going to the optician tomorrow and sort these [zb] glasses out ,maybe get some new ones, I had a appointment 3pm next day .

Everthing was normal that day,I went to the optician had a eye test and told her what had happened ,so she said I will give you another type of test ,and she did, what I did not know was, while I was in having the second test again,someone from there shop had rang my doctors as they have all information ,and they were close by in cleveleys ,Blackpool.

When she had finished the test, basicially it was a light test and I had not seen the projected lights showing from 9oclock around to 12 oclock like a quater of a circle ,to them that indercated the blood vessels were broken, meaning I was very close to a stroke ,however I have had T.I.A TRANSIENT ESCAMIC ATTACK. And must now go to the doctors immediately .ok ,so that is what I did…
Once there he told me of there findings and he said, sorry, but that is you finished with your HGV,you lose your liecence, from now, he was notifying Swansea today and that was it.

I rang Bowkers and told them, and that was that ,I never set foot in their depot again or in any lorry again.
My life changed in a instance I could drive my car,I had been taking blood pressure tablets for years ,they never increased my medication,after time I had tests at the hospital with forms from Swansea to get my license back but twice i completed the tests well I thought I had .

Swansea refused me my licence The main test is a walking machine is starts ok then starts to go on to a incline in the end it is like trying to walk up a sand hill with flip flops on, the man[technician ] there tells you nothing ,apparently it is strain on your heart [ the test]who knows I never fully found out ,they just refuse I had the opportunity to go to court to try to get the licence back however my Doctor told me that I will never get it back as t.i.a is so unpredictable just live you life ,so get on with it.

So I realized that was it.everything has its reasons I would not be living where I am now ,if I had stayed in Blackpool.i could have worked in the yard ,but insurance says that I was a risk …THAT IS IT THE END OF MY WORKING HISTORY BUT THIS RETIREMENT IS THE BEST JOB.

Sad ending to a great story, enjoyed reading about your exploits peggy…I retired last year (63)…and I’m loving every minute of it. .and I’m sure you will. …stay lucky

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sad to hear how your driving days finished, Vic - I didn’t know, as it was the year after I left Bowker myself.

Been fascinating to read about your experiences up to that point, and I’m glad you enjoyed your time with Bowker. I know I did, for almost 20 years!

Am I right in thinking that this was your motor at one time?

Ha, yes 240,GARDNER that was one of the beauties,but not that one, as no stickers for me… many happy trips believe
it or not you got used to the bunk up stairs.when i first drove the left hand drive,regular someone, i forgot who ,said to me if you hit every drain by the kerb you will be fine and it worked.thanks for the comment.

Ithink if i had one regret, it was not trying to get on bowkers,when i moved to BLACKPOOL in 1990 i am pleased you enjoyed the writings.
I do remember you, but only went in to your office about twice ,it was you who did /does the old trucks shows etc.

The start of the channel tunnel train if you have never used it it was a novelty at first.

There was no such trouble as there is now, you could see the BP garage when you run off the train it was all close by,on the out skirts of Calais you then made your way to catch the train, you went through passport control ,then the ticket booth ,then off to a new control thing ,you got out and you cab was searched then they looked over the roof and on the trailers, underneath the whole chassis a team of brit customs people were doing it all then they would if sealed up, shove a probe up inside of the curtain it was a CO2 sensor to see if you had any illegals inside the truck that you did or did not know about,all the now troubles in Calais was not new ,back then the customs were aware of stowaways on trucks.for a very long time

We never used to stop once we had left RIEMS if going home via Calais in FRANCE anyway.
Once cleared by brit customs you go and rank up for the train you watch the traffic lights ,if you are in the front if not you just follow the truck in front,movment was very quick different from when it first stated you could be waiting at least half a hour,and as they were competing with the ferrys they did not like to do that so as a bonus after 10 mins wait, a van would arrive with a meal ,gods honest truth obviously they were controlling the situation and vans were waiting so you took the proper meal if you wanted it or not ,well you would keep the plates and cutlery ,all stamped and numbered “TRANSMARCH”,once you started to eat you could bet the lights would change and off to the train you would go.

The system was,you drove down a ramp and along the train about one carriage then there was a open flat bed carriage about 60f oot long so you drove on to these, and it guided you down through all the carriages until a person told you to stop behind the truck in front ,you would stop the engine, handbrake on close the door and stand out side you cab on the platform …

. and wait for a bus to pick you up that takes you to the drivers rest carriage compartment, where as soon as you were seated another meal would arrive,[its all different now but that was the way it was]also as this compartment was right behind the engine, once it got going they would let two drivers at a time the to walk inside along side of the engine along a small narrow noisy corridor escorted by a employee and up to the front with the driver .

That was a very good experience but after time you got fed up just looking,what struck me as old fashion on the railway tracks there are signs for the drivers telling the driver what incline they are at ,a oblong painted sign painted with a / in the middle and numbers each side to tell the driver the track incline just the same as the old steam train days the track goes up and down it is not flat at all ,so back to the compartment you went and another two would go up.you would just get a 45 minute break in .

Once back in FOLKESTONE 2 small buses would pull up one at the front door, and the other at rear door,OF THE COMPARTMENT what 90% of the drivers especially foreign never took any notice when getting on the train at which door they went in THE COMPARTMENT,front or back nearest to the train engine [well no one told them too so they would not care.

It meant when the train is loading there are two platforms working to load the lorries on the train 20 on the front end and 20 on the rear so when you get off the front drive out of the train at one exit and the rear another ,[complicated] not really however if you get on the wrong bus and are not taking notice for instance.

…The bus would drive on the platform down to the rear end of the train passing the front 20 trucks,and if you are not aware, that bus would be at the rear end dropping drivers off for their trucks at the rear, and your truck could be on the front end so all trucks parked behind you cannot move off from behind your parked truck .

.you hold up all the drivers until the bus takes you back to your truck when all the others have been dropped off…it happened all the time so a lot of us who were regulars would take note who is on our bus most of us brits did ,so going back to getting off if a driver was on the wrong bus you would try to tell them you would be able to tell because when the bus goes past his truck a certain panic would be seen on his face the bus drivers were in radio contact with each over and their radios and would transfer the driver to the other bus after they had dropped the others off lots hold ups unloading caused by that problem . just look up your self on internet.that is definitely it.

Thanks very much for a fascinating read. I’ve looked forward to every episode of your exploits. It was made all the better for me because it was written by the bloke who did it.
It came across as if you were an old mate telling the story in his own words down the pub.
Thanks again.

Regards. John.

A great read Pdb - I know you have talked about writing your book for quite a while - I’m glad that you did - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Don’t suppose you thought you would have people down under in Australia reading your story eh?

All the best mate,

Keith

PDB its been a privilege to share your journeys through time ,I know of some of the difficulties you have had to get your journals out there for us all to read but you kept trying in true Bulldog fashion and its good to see the accolades you deserve.
Back to the publishers this time you won’t fail.
All the best Dig.

hi PDP, thanks for a great read, I used to look forwards to reading the next chapter every morning as soon as I got up. I think we need another chapter of your life writing, perhaps when you were a sea dog ?,lol hope you can soon get it in print

Thank you all for your comments, as for other writings, as a matter of fact i have done some more ,however it is not truck related and did not think men would appreciate reading about me from school untill lorries, or in between,or sea time it is perhaps the wrong forum.sea time would come over as boasting where i/we ships i went onto it was the MERCHANT NAVY [CARGO BOATS] not the proper one.i remember it as yesterday.
As for BOOK NO C.B.A.

I have written other ,just dopey stuff that i and others did ,also I did lock “MUSSOLINE” in the bog,in KELLOGS WAREHOUSE Melzo.

.OLD 67 YOU GOT IT EXACTLY THANKS d.b.p.

`,I was on leave from the Merchant Navy, after an enjoyable working trip around the globe totalling one year. I ended up paying off with £100 cash plus money sent home every month to my mother via the company.it was called a allotment.
Most voyages were around 3 months + £13 per month in 1960.all found not bad ehh I can elaborate on what our duties were in another post.

We all used to draw money in every port we visited, I was young and enjoyed myself in every port and you needed money. In addition, you had to pay for your beer and tobacco, plus sundries .on the ship. However, all food and accommodation is free.

After having a months earned leave, after a trip of 1 year and 1 day travelling around the globe.
I decided I would try to stay at home and work around my local area and put some roots down ,i did not have any contract stating that I had to stay in the Merchant Navy after one trip with a company you could stay on the ship for the next voyage if asked ,or you left and took your chances at the” Shipping Federation”

tThe employment office for seamen a agency that all shipping companies used at major ports within the uk and Northen Irland for their crews,you could be obligated to them for two years if you signed a contract and they would gurantee you work on a ship, however you had two choices of what ship to crew if you wanted to ,if you refused two shipping lines to work for you had to take the third job on a ship they offered

A example would be, the first two choices could be ships on long voyages ,maybe you would want a short trip or the countries they were going to .or if they were passenger ships or just cargo ships.lots of factors ,however if you were not contracted to them ,you could go to any shipping company on your own and ask for work.they all had a personal department just for employing crews

I arrive home very late from Paying off the ship in HULL, catching a train from Hull to London London,then a train from LONDON to Banbury , then a train fron BANBURY to my villageWoodford Halse a bit of a worse for wear in a state of drunkeness , it upset my mum and dad understandable, they had not seen me for a year, we were brought up with no hugs and kisses,and the drunken state I was in at the time I did not deserve any,and I did not get any…

Next day my dad said to me if you come home again like that again I would not bother going away to sea another mistake I took that to heart after a couple of weeks enjoying my self I took driving lessons and passed after 19 lessons within less than two weeks with the british school of motoring,I was able to take any lessons that they had cancelled ,I would go and wait in the local pubTHE HORSE AND JOCKEY”in BANBURY,no drink and driving in 1964/5.and passed first time in a Austin A40…

I managed to find a job, van delivrey with a fruit and vegetables wholesale merchant, early morning starts and late finishes, I should have realized then, that what transport was about.
However, it was new to me I went along with it. I did have thoughts that I should have gone straight back to sea ,however i did not go back,my life with Lorries started. I stayed for about 3 months getting used to driving around the local area ,but I wanted to just keep going longer distances,they also had a small comer flat bed four wheeler, I could not wait for them to ask me just to move it around their yard.but they never did.

After a short time working there i would go out with the driver of the comer to collect produce from farms local and he would let me drive it off road down lanes but not using many gears,but the keenness was already there for me to drive,I was not getting enough out of the van job and I knew within my self that I would be able to manage a larger lorry ,well I thought I could

Work of any kind was very easy to find on the manual labour market, and not having any trade you took what you could in total I had about 10 different types of work all manual some dirty, eventually my type of training from sea time came to my rescue, my job at sea from working on deck ,we were classed as riggers ashore.AS I WAS NOT 21no driving job I expect you could drive like 3 tonnners then but not around where I lived.

I started as a “trainee linesman” for B.I.C.C.company building the large electrical pylons and masts that you see all around the country side ,after 6 weeks training I was passed as able to work in a erecting gang.the training took place just behind where the now rugby truck stop is.at a village called Clay-Cotton.

We were housed in the local Y.M.C.A. at Rugby there were about 12 of us young men from all over the country ,as I had my Morris van I could have travelled from home every day but idecided to stop with the others at least you were there on time every morning although the food was not that good, a lot of fish and chips were eaten after beer at night ,however we drank very little at night as the longer we were there learning and the more dangerious the work was and you had to have a clear head at all times .we all passed out FIT FOR WORKING HEIGHTS

For erecting pylons or masts ,no one left the job after the course, we all went our different ways and I never set eyes on any of them again.we were sent where they needed us

The work was in different areas where new electricity power lines were needed. you lived in bed and breakfast houses where you as near to the site you were erecting pylons at the time, mostly the bed and breakfast places where lorry drivers used to stay for the one night, where as we would be in the same place for 2 or 3 nights although I did not know much about drivers I knew they had a little suit case for overnight gear, where as we had all our clothes in cases and I was reluctant to leave clothes in a room with strangers every day but we had to.

Travelling at work was in a Bedford /type ton lorry with a crew cabin on the back with all our equipment needed, also towing a “donkey engine winch” that was the most important piece of equipment we used every day it travelled every day attached to the back of the lorry until we reached the erecting site then it was unhitched and used by us after finishing work it was reattached to the lorry for safety…from being stolen out from the fields where we worked erecting the pylons.

Sometimes the designated driver would let me drive as I had my car licence if there were only 3 of us going somewhere we would sit in the cab ,a lot of the driving was off road, getting to where we were erecting the pylons

The driver would let me drive up and down the hills in the fields and i used to enjoy that when the fields were very wet the deliver lorries could sometimes only get to the field gate at the roadside and the steel would be pulled of the lorry bed by us by hand and left for us to take on to our site.

I used to envy the delivery driver because I knew he would be long gone before we had to reload the steel by hand and transport it up to the pylon building site it would take 2 or 3 trips of very heavy work in rain and snow or sun.to get the days delivery from the farmers gate way

I realised that the erecting job had its attractions, work abroad was one possibility and I did enjoy the work and the climbing ,also very hard work , outside all weathers.

One particular job within the bulding of the pylon was putting 4 stable outrigger bases in the surrounding ground that involed useing a sledge hammer knocking altogether 12 steel pegs ,like you use for a tent however about 5 foot long ,they had to go in the ground at lest 1 foot,mighty hard work…

With no stable place to live, changing digs,[bed and breakfast] at least twice a week , you would be moving further away from where you started erecting the first pylon.

After not a lot of thought I took the quick decision to leave,”another of my life’s big mistakes “the lorry driving was siting in my head, I had made my mind up that was what I wanted to do, so I had to go back home and try to follow what I wanted to do, once home my parents were not that pleased they thought I was setteled ,because my father and brother were well setteled working on the railway my mother could not understand why I was not the same I new I was not yet I should have just gone right back to sea.however shipping was in a decline .

Once home finding a “driving job” was not easy so I went and worked with some of the local lads on a building site [HOD carrying] that was loading cement or bricks ready for the bricklayers to use in a” HOD” they were made of metal when I used them
Once you had done that for a few weeks I got to think this is not for me, the work was endless.BRICK LAYERS SHOUTING “MUCK UP”all the time meaning they wanted more cement and quick…
Once working there you got to know other trades I got on well with one of the scaffolders they worked for S.G.B.based in Birmingham main office but these men came from Northampton once they found out my background[ I told one of them]that iwas trained at working at heights while on the ships also on the pylons I was the ideal scaffoders labourer and I was asked by their boss if I wanted to join them ,working where we were ,so that is what I did ,and ifound out that I was good at it doing the job, being not frightened of heights at all helped.

Also the money was better I did that for nearly 8 months ,the boss said I was capable to go on my own and do any job also I was strong enough to lift up the 20 foot poles on my own.

When the job came to a end they asked me to travel with them as a gang member and work away all over the country unfortunally for them I had found a girl friend for the first time andi had no intenion of leaving the village.

I followed 3 of my friends and went to work on the British RAILWAY AS A PLATE-LAYER, The office was in Banbury by the railway station ,the gang I worked with worked from Cropredy-to claydon crossing. just up the track from FENNY COMPTON on the main line Birmingham to LONDON.

A Platelayer the job = railway track mantainace ,keeping all the rail banks tidy and the grass a d bushes cut backThe main job OF THE PLATE LAYER GANG OF MEN was to keep both main line rail tracks ,safe,and level.you were using a shovel all day

After time we had to work 3 Sundays out of 4 I found it was not what I wanted so I gave my notice and left…

Some of the best conversational writing I’ve ever read Vic … I’d love to read your early years especially the union days…

I read your email earlier on but I’m shipping out again on tonight’s boat so I’ll reply when I get back … It won’t be any farther north than Sydney, no more than a week and a half, and nothing bigger than a B- Double … I think I’ve heard something like that before …

Jeff…

This is from previous post ,2015 in case any reader wondered how i was on strike ,and how and when i started from driving from 1980 well this is it
i do apologize to any reader that has all ready read it before. i will post it quick so you can read it fast.lol

“Advertised”, driver wanted a owner driver rate of pay £5 a day, I had no idea , I thought give it a go and I got the job. I did not realise how desperate companies were for drivers, I think if you were blind, they would have started you, the company called Study concrete in Blackley a concrete garage manufacturing company
After being told what to load by the yard man ,and to load only what he said later the boss came out and said have you got all load sheets, yes, I replied ,he then gave me money for diesel and I remembered him saying [only put in what you need] that did not make sense to me , also the spare wheel carrier was broken, that was under the chassis so the spare wheel went on top of the load I was still none the wiser.

I was now ready, first thing to do was sort the gears on the truck it was a old commer,the gear box is not like the normal H system as I was used to in a car the gear stick had been so well used you could not see where any gears were marked on the top of the stick so as to give me a clue what gear to select ,they were all back to front so with the load weight on i knew if I got into first or second I would pull away from the yard.

, I was a new to the game driver. A comer two stroke engine had its own calling card you would hear it miles away before you could see it.also the crunching of the gears gave irt away this particular lorry had been used so much the markings on the round knob of the gear stick had been worn smooth away ,I had no idea what gear I was in until I fathomed it out ,that took me a while …

First day, after hours and hours of driving and delivering I am at place called Newcastle -under line. near stoke-on -Trent.
Parked up on this waste ground site, it was like a bombsite with ruts and holes that would lose at least a car.
It was a transport cafe with bed and breakfast, I asked about a bed for the night, and was told yes there is one vacant [lucky] I found the room and the bed however it did not look to clean, a driver was dozing on his bed, with his clothes on, so I thought that has got to be the way I dumped my small canvas bag with toiletries and towel and made downstairs for some food if you liked fried you were in for a treat if not ,go without. so fried it is
…When i got up in the morning not refreshed at all, like all the other drivers had a massive fried greasy breakfast it was the norm the same as the previous evening.

It came with a big mug of [chipped mug of course] you could stand your spoon up in tea, i had had no trouble finishing of the breakfast the grease went down with the tea…time to go out to the lorry ready to start again, to my shock-horror the ropes had been cut ,and the spare wheel was gone.

No working public phone inside or out of the cafe i was scuppered, i just re-rope d the load and left… by the end of the day I had forgotten about the wheel i just kept plodding on i ended up around Manchester, all delivers done, no idea where i was with a empty lorry and it was late, right find your way home ,and that’s what i did .i do know i passed joderall bank telescope as it was the same way i had driven in, in the morning, god knows how many hours i had worked but the thought of going home spurred me on, the log book did not mean a thing to me back then it was like a lot of lines and you made a graph out of it.
I was newly married at that time but we didn’t have a house phone so i
Had no way of contacting my wife so i just kept going and got on with it once i got to the A5 i knew where i was i got back very early in the morning.

The same day it went like a double lead balloon first the boss confronted me about the deliver notes that i did not take .so i bluffed him and kept quiet, he knew what the drivers did anyway, then he said i had sold the spare wheel to make a few bob. i did not know ,there was a ready market for lorry spare wheels.
he did not realise i was that green but i was. he said my time was done with him so that was that .i do not remember what money i ended up with but i kept the diesel money what was left. it was the first and last time in my whole working life that i ever was asked to leave or get the sack.

I do not remember what i did the next few weeks regarding work, i was never without a week’s wage doing anything that came along it would have been hard work whatever it was normally involving a shovel .digging ditches or carrying bricks on a site or working for agricultural contractors all cash in hand ,meaning no tax or insurance stamp .in lots of country s it was called black market work.

The next job to come my way was 5 miles away from where I lived at Fenny Compton not the concrete but CW Night all round haulier all types of trucks ,what I did not know was that 90% of the fitters, and the drivers were all related to the boss who lived within in the village . I started to drive a 4 wheeler flat bed and we had to load and deliver 2 loads of cement every day from rugby cement at bishops itching –ton to anywhere within a 50 mile radius. And it was very rare to get any help to unload your load at any building site. So your day was all ways full on .

One of the main collections was Avon mouth to load by hand all kinds of cattle foods etc ,and deliver it all the same day .you would get up early, leave the yard by 6 am to get loaded and get it done, you could guarantee when i was just about down to the docks to load one of our other lorry’s would be coming out loaded i used to think how do they do it ,i had no idea. weeks later i found out they had a allowance for sleeping a night out because they would go down very early in the morning or the night before but i never ever got offered it .

In the yard was a brand new Leyland lorry, it was parked in my way where i had to park, I went and asked at the garage for the keys to move it ,and Mr. Night was in there , he said something like you are not getting in that new lorry ,so don’t thing about moving it, you ask my son in law to move it for you,

I walked back in to the yard and the son in law was there talking ,i said excuse me john, MR Night said you have to move the new lorry for me please, his reply was move it yourself the keys are here.-in his hand and he passed them to me, I opened the door got in ,the cab layout was completely new to me also the gear stick ,
I started it up, then tried to get it into gear ,well that went well after a lot of scrunching, i moved it forward, then i had to go backwards, well could i get reverse ,no way !i could not figure it out i could see on top of the stick where the markings shown you where each gear was, was to be pushed down but it would not go [what I did not know was you had to lift the gear-stick] then put in to reverse .i soon learned. for future reverence.

By now a few drivers were watching, after the scrunching of the gears by me also watching, out of the office, Mr night! he flew out grabbed the door to open it and started yelling, he went off on one, i tried to explain .,however , he would not listen so I still had the gear stick in my hand , i give it a yank and bloody hell the gear leaver came away right in my hand [it was not on purpose]… it was a type of ball socket i did not know
… so i jumped out faced Mr. night gear stick in my hand and said [you can stick this gear stick and your f–king lorries up your f-----g arse !the whole lot of drivers melted away. no one said a word i knew that was it… so basically that was it I went to my car and went home that was me done but it was not the end, well nothing bad however,

I cannot truthfully recall where i went to work again for a time i would just do anything on building sites i had a old moris van if you did not have transport of your own in our area you were more or less unable to travel for a job however in the end there was a smallish transport company 6 miles away that specialised in Cattle Transport , i went to see them about a driving job i had sort of a interview told them the truth ,i knew a lot of the drivers already there ,which helped, I had a local driving test as to say just around the street , and i got the job.
Having not knowing anything about livestock transport at all ,my life was about to get very busy,covered in ■■■■ ,working day and night ,all hours god sent. also a good laugh a lot of the time.

The basic job was in the mornings early, you would go to the farms and collect the animals that were to go to the market first, you would collect the clean ones like sheep or pigs that you would separate with a portable gate, hinged on the side of the cattle box, then maybe a dairy cow at the rear of the box, you were told where to unload once in the market normally dairy-cows had their own spaces.

The farmers were at the market before you got there shouting waving etc trying to get your attention it was always a good start to the day it could only get worse or better, trouble came where the pigs were unloaded in one place, the sheep in another With the help of the staff and of course ,they were in charge and they would all ways be looking for a [drink] as well, for opening the pen gates etc… drink= a money inducement.

When you collected Dairy cows you were given a number sticker by the farmer to put on their hind quarters, a pot of glue was already at the market and you had the find the correct pen number where the cow should be you also had to put. a loose chain around their necks so they would not move around, and the correct numbere place on the cows rear booked for that cow then the farmer would go in and give the udders a good wash and the rear end to look good in the sale ring ,so to look their best they were like the young models of the market…also if you were lucky the farmer may give you [what s called a drink]ie= a tip that was maybe a 2 shilling or even half a crown that was 2/6 in old money .enough for 2 pints of course…the whole system worked on backhanders ie drinks.

When you arrived at the market to unload , the fun started most times the farmers were at the market before you got there so they would be ,shouting waving etc it was always a good start to the day it could only get worse

All the livestock haulage firms had a foreman working the market for you and the in coming stock to help sort it all out so you were not on your own all livestock markets had a all day pub with food…and it was always well used by every one including all drivers ,yes you would have beer with all the meals more than one and it was the place where our foreman would do the transport deals ,all by word of mouth.
The abattoir runs were usually 2to 3 hr s away ,so by the time you got to where you were then home again it may well be nearer 11 to midnight so a good a day probably a 18 hour day ,and when you got back to the yard you had to fill up with diesel and then go and see in the out door cubby hole, where the orders for the next day that told you where you would be going and what time to be at your first collection ,and 9 times of10 it would be like 6 30 am… time after time it wasn’t worth going home but you did and there was always a dinner in the oven loads of gravy rings on the plate but you would eat it anyway a quick swill[wash] dump all your ■■■■■■ stinking clothes in the out side a bucket all ready there and up to bed ,look into the kids bedroom just to see them, ,set the alarm ,it was 6 in the morning before you knew it, then it would be the same all over again…we only used to see our family’s on sat ,afternoon/ night .

Most cattle export in the 1960 s went from the port of Sheerness was about 4 plus hours away from our base and the markets we used, so by the time you had done you local work you would end up with a export and that’s when you were given you night out money[lovely money for ■■■■ and beer] free but it never was, however to have some cash was all ways good even if you worked out the hours you worked and the wage you got it was still poor but you got into the work and never thought about it ,it was and is years later that you wonder how you did it all the hours. so the main thing was to get loaded up and off to London out through the Dartford tunnel down the A2 and then to sheerness.

from the main A2 to the dock there-was a pub called the half way house ,the main aim of all of us was to get there before last orders and get some pints down us who-ever got there first if two were together you would get at least 3 pints each[[that s where the night out money came in handy]] and you were never on your own. being sheerness was the only export port for live livestock in England. there would be lorries from all over the counties at the pub we would all be doing the same.
you would have. no idea of the time ,you could not wear a Watch as the constant shaking of the steering wheel ,no power steering then ,direct from the steering wheel…

Some drivers all the time I had been working with I had never ever seen them without their hats off .i would not have know if they had hair or not and it was the norm to wear a flat cap, with a nice greasy peak ,you all ways had to be on your toes ,for any kind of joking around you never stood still, or you would end up with some kind of ■■■■ in your pockets or down you wellies ,or another one was you would get whacked by the old flat cap . It was a form off greeting with a laugh that is why all the peaks of the caps were nice and shiny from the cow ■■■■ covered hands… some drove all day and night and never took their wells off. or nice great big ex army boots .

The clothes we wore were so smooth with grease ,muck and ■■■■ they were water proof, before they ever brought in wax jackets [joke] in ,we all had our own ,even then some men would wear their old suits ,as working gear , stinking and shiny, through years of use the thought of buying clothes to work in was not even thought about what you had ,you used to the last I remember the first time a old driver Lenny, he looked like the cross between a scarecrow and a to ff. a complete mixture of clothes also the boots, we all had what you called as “hod-nailed –boots ”big old leather thick soles , with loads of what was called “s kegs” they were like flat nails.

Back to old Lenny the driver he went every where with a ■■■ in his mouth, I can still see him drinking in the bars but I never ever saw him eat at the cafés, his boots were classic great awkward and large ,he all ways wore a neckerchief like a cravat , the puffs used to wear but Lenny always wore a spotted cut down tea towel with frayed edges ,but no one ever said anything about it to Lenny.

He used to drive cattle lorries during all the 2nd war with lots of others drivers ,and he would tell us they would be commandeered by the ministry of Transport and had to wash out all signs of a cattle lorry ,
they would be used to distribute all kinds of food to buffer depots, they never knew where they were going until loaded and it would be any- where in the uk , no date for return home .

He had one bad habit though you would be sat in your old cab and Lenny would saunter up to you and mumble something and you would just agree with him and then he’d be gone, it would not be until you were driving again and using your brakes ,you would get this horrible ammonia smell when in traffic, Lenny used to ■■■■ over your front wheel. And then clear off he was re noun for it if you ever saw him walking up to you if you were parked up first thing you would do get out of the cab .stand back as you knew he would try to flip you with his cap, and to make sure he did not ■■■■ on your wheels.
Some drivers habits were a bit strong some when in traffic would ■■■■ down the steering column straight on to the road in stead of stopping and going somewhere else. It was a common thing when filling up at diesel pumps in any yard to ■■■■ while filling up it saved time

Once you were finished and back to the yard you would look into the outhouse next to the office and all the drivers work tickets for the next day would be on a peg, with name attached no mater what time it was
when you finished the start time would be there ,as it was Saturday evening I am all ready for home and my ticket said Sunday morn in the yard for seven do not be late,i thought ■■■■ me it is never ending so home go, and back at five in the morning.
finished and back to the yard you would look into the outhouse next to the office and all the drivers work tickets for the next day would be on a peg,with name attached no mater what time it was
when you finished the start time would be there ,as it was Saturday evening I am all ready for home and my ticket said Sunday morn in the yard for seven do not be late,i thought ■■■■ me it is never ending so home go, and back at five in the morning.

I thought double time so I drive to work and pulled in to the yard not a happy bunny park up and no one seems to be about the last thing you did was to knock on the bosses door to see what was occurring not even a Sunday. it was all right for me to ■■■■■■ about but not the boss, no way.

After a short time I could hear a lorry coming up through the village ,got to be one of ours ,it turned down the lane ,approaching the yard but is sounded very heavy, after a while you get to know what different lorry’s sound like light or heavy this was heavy -heavy .i had no idea what was going on

however ,what turner d into the yard was this massive low loader with C ■■■■ on the front a new Leyland named a super beaver the new dogs ■■■■■■■■ of lorry
the driver jumped out ,as he had seen me came over and asked me if I was vic I said yes he said well you are coming with me .as second man we are going to Bodmin Cornwall .

First I had no idea where it was, second my face must have had a grin as big as any-one could grin.
Then he said where is your bag ,What bag ,i replied, ,what bag, he said ,your night out bag a change of clothes ,washing gear shoes. WHAT !are you on about I replied, he said you cannot go into digs in working gear-clothes , . So as I lived on the way we were going, I run down home managed to wake my wife and up and we found a old bag like a old doctors bag, god knows whose it was and put enough clothes in for a week and that would have to do for my trip into the unknown world of long distance driving I forgot all about shaving and washing gear and a tooth brush

It turned out to be one of the best educations I could have had on driving a Articulated lorry. gear changing ,hill climbing, really getting into it I learned that driving was by your ears. Yes your ears, you had to keep the engine revs high then at the right moment just as the exhaust noise peaked nearly screaming at you as if to say for ■■■■■- sake do something, you dipped the clutch ,whipped the gear stick out ,on you way to the next gear also as you were passing through neutral you had to select either high or low ratio on the gear stick button ,double de clutch ,then glide the stick in to the next gear, look where you were going ,have a drag of your ■■■ ,and also chat to the passenger ,and drive ,and on and on it would go, and I loved it.

Work went back to normal .all though I had now seen the other side to driving a lorry it is not all working a full day and half the night .clean ,free of cattle ■■■■ I did start to think I wouldn’t mind some of the easier life [silly me ,rose tinted glasses] so I just did what I was told and thought no more about it lots of long hours a few laughs ,lots of beer and ■■■■ normal driving life ,well I did not know any other YET

What I found out after , was that my low loader trip had been planned to see if I would be able to handle bigger lorry’s and articulated lorry’s .also the older drivers had turned it down .and being the younger it was me lined up for the Articulated cattle truck when needed. and that is what happened. The start of my voyage around the roads of England and Europe .however I did not know it would last a life time.

One Saturday morning in the yard, the office told me I would be taking the articulated unit and boxed trailer to Northampton market. the driver was off. He had finished however I did not know.

I checked the units oil, water, checked no flat tyres, picked the trailer up and off I go ,very careful out of the yard ,and away. not thinking of what is to come ,i realised I had never reversed a trailer before ,all good forward never reversed ,one good thing was the market was massive and loads of room also there would be other articulated lorries ,drivers ,for advice[ ha bloody ha] it turned out I just got on with it .

it must have taken me a least 10 shunts at getting the trailer near to loading dock which was I might say was not back- on straight, after all that I had forgotten to open the back gates, so I had to pull off and open the gates and perform again ,but better this time. Phew. i still remember it as if it was yesterday, years after if someone was having a problem reversing I would all ways ask them .did they need any assistance not to shout out instructions or wave arms about like some people do. I have never forgotten that market day.

All the cattle loaded 12 big cows in the front ,a gate in the middle12 at the back all weighing about half a ton not a lot off room for them to move about, so off down the M1 to Luton my first trip out on my own ,all went ok lots of room at the other end to reverse and back up , the trailer and thank god all the animals were ok ,sometimes if if they are loaded to tight in the back of any cattle truck when you start to get going things start to change in the back of the lorry, if you imagine when any animal runs up into a space with no exit it is head first [the narrow bit then it is followed by its rump the wider bit] so the ones in the rear push up towards the others so they are all squeezing to the front

That is when the trouble starts if whoever in charge tries to put to many animals in as it all ways looks as if there is loads of room, however once you start driving and the lorry starts rolling around and the animals are all tying to find there own space they try to turn around and face the light coming from the side vents, and do start to turn around .so if one to many was loaded there will be a weaker one that will go down onto its knees and they can and do end up in a sorry old state normally covered in ■■■■ , as it has no chance of getting up, that it why we were taught to keep stopping and keep a good eye on your cargo . Sometimes you get the angry aggressive beast who wants more room than the others [the school bully],and will not stopping trying to move around they can cause a beast to go down. times when cattle were being transport care was taken for their welfare by all drivers I knew .

As a rule normal cattle are very passive i have had times when I and other drives have had to get in with the animals if one was down and on a longish run [ normal Birkenhead to Banbury ] We They were Irish store cattle from Ireland mostly youngsters ready to be fatten up for the food chain by the time they had come across the sea all the fight had gone out of them and they were like people waiting hours at a airport weary, had enough.

However it never was that simple. as you were nearly all ways overloaded by one and they were the ones we used to get in with they had no horns [ Hereford breed] and had been feed on grass only so imagine the floor of the lorry! the way we tried to get them up was one twist its tail ,and the other keep its head up while you were trying to get room with your back pushing the others no mean task. Sometimes we did . If not successful we had to find a farm yard and ask if we could run them off normally they would not let you [because of foot and mouth ]or then a large parking area ,we used that road and knew it well ,[ we called that road the goat track] that road was the main A41 used by all cattle lorry firms .so there was extra help around ,once parked up after a smoke ,we would then reverse one lorry up to the others rear doors…

cattle lorry doors drop down the same as horse box doors do, then you have a set of gates inside that fold out to the sides so as to make a ramp with secure sides with only one way to go. however now the hard bit came ,one lorry had to drop the door down but keep the gates shut, and hope the cattle did not push the way out against the gates when the daylight hit them with the door down but lots of shouting hhe -ups ,banging with our sticks we all had a ash plant stick a very necessary piece of equipment then.]We would then reverse the other lorry back to the other, drop his door on to the one already down so now at the same time you would open the gates in double quick time so they opened into each other like a[ / a lot flatter.] And you would hope they all the cattle stayed in one lorry while you would let one or two out in between the gates from the lorry where the the beast was down in, and with the extra room it would be able to get up which they did .all in a days work
then hopefully the ones out did not knock the gates down you would be able to get them back in
to the lorry, you would not try it if only two drivers were there.

you all ways had a long clear space behind any cattle trucks on any road as it was like a fine spray flowing with the wind and the windscreen behind would be smeared [nice]
When the lorry was full of ■■■■ and ■■■■ all nice to slop around while driving

Articulated driver at our yard now and did not have another truck to drive and some days there was nothing for me to do. i know new why no one else wanted the job as I found myself helping the mechanics in their workshops doing all the ■■■■■■ jobs ,however what I did not realise I was learning more and more of the whole working of a lorry the bits i had never seen also the working of the engine, minor repairs ,electrical wiring the whole thing very useful in years to come but never realised then.

The main company under a different name was in Northampton c,butts and were doing all types of general haulage so they had a idea to keep a flat bed trailer over at our depot so at lean times I would go and do general haulage that was fine by me I started to think it maybe time to move on I had now seen how other firms worked and the massive amount of different types of work that was out there and I have had a taste of it yes a lot of hard work, on some days when on the flat trailer we would have to go to the main brick yards in Bedford area[ now MILTON KEYNES] and load 15tons of bricks all by hand ,full of dust and ash as they had come out of the kiln the night before also they were still warm you had to use gloves ,next I thought I would be back loading the cement like before soon I was on the lookout for a company that did not do lots of handball like before. However I did get the change around driving the cattle box then seemed easier than the bricks.

When we used to drive into Banbury Market it was the largest cattle market in the country ,we used to pass by a old railway station and it was used by the British Road Services as their depot I used to see all the neatly parked up trailers all nicely sheeted loads or box vans and used to thing if only ,i might get a job on the B R S. however I thought if I get time I will go over and ask. however we were always covered in ■■■■ and had no clean clothes so after a period of time I made the decision to go and see them muck or not .so the opportunity arose one Thursday and I rang them first from a pay phone [NO MOBILES THEN]explained the situation about unable to get time off to see them would they send a application form, that went well and I arranged for the next Thursday for a
Interview

. The usual background checks ,previous employment so all went well also I told them about MR Night and the present work I was doing and the hours .they said they would let me know by post as we did not have a home phone .not a lot of people did then. The next week they gave me a job and a start date so I could work my notice at work .they were ok about it they new I was young and wanted different work so I left .[for about 10 years]

The B R S was run on a ex military grounds as it was the nearly the last nationalised industry left in England
Nearly all the drivers had done some type of service that required that you would and could do as you were told even us ex Merchant seamen I was told later on that is how I got the job from my old discharge book.

The first couple of weeks I was the yard shunter ,that was you would go to the local factory’s and load the trailers , sheet them up and then rope them up to a high standard and back to the yard ,pick another up and do it again and again the B R S had a lot of work by the end of the day you knew you had been to work. But I was getting to know people ,and getting good a sheeting up loads however I was all ready good at working with ropes .so I did not have any problems [yet]

After I was let loose on fairly local loads and using a longer trailer maximum length then was 33 foot , with a marker light half way down the side of the trailer, now that was something new, lights down the side of a trailer whatever next ,also a 24vault electrical system it used to be 12 vault .But the same type- of tractor unit .is was a Leyland Super Comet, However this was a Air brake system ,not like the old vacuum system that was a bit hit and miss .

The mirrors were larger in size than the old ones ,they previous ones were small like out of a budgerigar cage. With the new ones you could see a far way behind however you were unable to adjust them like the present time they were rock solid one tap against anything a that was a a shattering “experience or a nice crack and you would get double vision not good ,however the worst bit was back in the yard you had to make the usual defect report [in fact it was a big drama] you had to right a accident report for even that, to the traffic office ,then to the garage foreman [ Lord god almighty himself]

they always seem to take everything to a personal level ,as if it was their own ,out of their pockets. it took me a while to get used to it however after time I did see their point i.e. insurance ,costs, and even the smallest thing down to you all went down in a report against you the driver.

The only trouble driving certain runs to the same delivery points was there were some good days and some bad ,no mobile phones very few phones on major roads ,very few stopping places for phones only transport cafés would have a public phone and no guarantee it would work. So phoning back to base was at delivery points, then it was reverse charges, there was a stigma about letting lorry drivers use the phone anywhere, some factory’s would not let you [second class citizen] however you usual phoned if you could .

However you got to know the routine, and we always had the B. R. S drivers bible the little RED BOOK only B R S drivers had it given them by the office for many reasons ,first it shown you where all the digs ,overnight stops ,bed and breakfast were at most towns and the phone numbers ,some of the digs would only take in B R S drivers in as they Knew you would behave and pay and the depots would leave messages with the owners if any change in plan etc. it worked both ways however you would not be able to use their phone .Because if your were empty in a town that was not yours when finished delivering you would have to go and get filled up with diesel for the return journey and we used to have a running sheet called [ops 6] renown through the B. R. S.

it was your lifeline, you never left the yard without it. You could draw your night out money on it from another depot they would not refuse you so long as you had not already drawn it before ,your days work was recorded in it , your days running mileage. also your load and off loads and you had to go to the traffic office when ever in a depot to report ,so if you were empty you were easy meat for some type of ■■■■ load that they did not want if it went anywhere south near your area .well anywhere London area was always near to Banbury .or so a lot of people thought ,and that is how I started to learn all I knew

started to learn all I knew about loading a different type of load and sheeting them up. also improvising.

As the majority of towns throughout the UK then had a B RS depot within the area as it was a government company Nationalised industry however it was gradually getting back into private hands.[ deregulation] so they need digs to put men in the same was with the BRITISH RAIL they would have accommodation that was called barracks the same as the military type used by working men within the industry who lived away from home and they would put us up for the night for a charge, also the SALVATION ARMY had large houses ,well large house the were ■■■■■■■ sleeping factory’s, for accommodation in the big cites

for the obvious tramps .down and outs etc ,however they always kept a floor free for overnight lorry drivers, different from the roughs, we then were not the second class for a change we did not eat breakfast there ,I must say we were in and out. i think it was 10/0 shillings a night now 50 pence…also if you parked out side the “sally- ann [salvation army hostel for men]” their were always kids waiting to look after your lorry for a couple of shillings if you did not give it to them your load and truck would be a problem the next day, it would be damaged…

Once you were on a regular run you would get to know the factory times and when they would load empty stilages’ and when they would not ,different fork lift drivers did different tasks so if you could you would try to get a full load of empty still ages if available loaded as you went around the deliveries that would mean a return load back to your base. However as time went by I got to learn the ropes as they say . At some factory’s they would have the empty stillages that would help you to make a nice return load back to your base all belonging to LOCKHEED , however they would not let you have them, so off you went empty to the local B R S depot and ended up doing the ■■■■ for some other depot ,as a lot of our Banbury based delivers were serviced by our depots lorry’s twice to 3 times a week.

It got me wondering why they would not load you up with the still ages as I was a new face to a lot of the fork lift drivers at a lot of the factory’s it did not take that long to ask around, and I had not worked it out myself ,what was happening to all the empty still ages it worked like this=.the driver who was a regular to the factory on a Thursday was giving away jars of coffee to the fork lift drivers at the factory as a [ bunce], backhander, or black market. Stolen coffee .

MAXWELL HOUSE COFFEE so he would always have the empty still ages saved for him Well !what they did not know I was probably more into that sort of thing than they would believe, so it was game on ,[that was a challenge to me ] the ever ■■■■ you syndrome, now every where I went, once I had got my stash of coffee , if I knew I would need it on a trip I would bring it from home ready, it usual worked everywhere to give the fork lift driver a little bit of something ,■■■■ ,small amount of money when needed just to ease the way. I had been around a little bit however no one knew anything about me so I liked to keep it that way [I did know the score as the saying goes]

I have always given people the benefit of doubt in most circumstances unless they take the ■■■■ then it changes. Most of us drivers would not suffer fools gladly however a lot of the fools were other drivers ,not that I was perfect far from it I was just as much as a ■■■■ about, as most others .anyway, how we got the coffee?

General foods ,the name of the company that was originally bird custard powders from Digbeth the centre of Birmingham ,relocated to Banbury about 1965/6. how I know as I worked on the construction. Another story
.However they used to refine then the raw coffee beans and it ended up as MAXWELL HOUSE COFFEE one of their many products they used to manufacture ,custard powder ,angle delights. All good family products that we all liked, so the security was very tight at the loading bays a lot of the goods were loaded into box vans that is as it sounds , a box fitted onto a trailer , a container .
.That had two doors at the rear, of the trailer that would be backed onto a ramp at the loading bays at the factory as it is done today at all factory’s.

The box van trailers were constructed of a marine ply wood board, very sturdy, with steel reinforcing in between the sheets of ply. The outside of the trailers were always painted red the B.R.S. Standard colour, inside the box trailer was a flat bar of
steel that run all the length of the trailer with holes drilled in to it that would take a spring loaded end of a 8 foot tubular steel bar that was to fit in the holes on the side, to form a barrier to hold the goods up in the back of the trailer that was stacked on pallets .
however it sorted of worked when the trailer was full to the back and it looked good from the loading bay as if the load was good and secure however once you had the first deliver off it was never nice and neat boxes ended up everywhere
As a deliver would have not just one size box every product was a different size box so you had to re stack the rear of the load after every deliver sort of slope the load back like making steps so as the whole lot never went ■■■■ up. so if you had 5or6 deliveries it got a right mess in the trailer ,
in the end if you did not do the job correct. that is how we used to end up with the coffee that we would keep ,[naughty] the odd jar. the customer would sign the load with a damage report however they would nearly all ways keep the whole of the pallet damaged then put a claim in later .for more damage than there was so we knew that was some for us thank you very much.

You had to keep it hidden when back at the depot and in them days they were very small cabs so not a lot of room to hide stuff away from nosey drivers ,no side lockers ,no sleeper cabs your driver seat was right back to the back of the cab.

.what we used to do was as you come in through the gate to the big yard ,every time you had to go to the fuel pumps for the diesel and there was the fuel man .a near retired driver and his job was filling up the lorries dish out the oil if needed. it was his domain he was the man you never ■■■■■■ off it was his little kingdom because he had hiding places and he was always in on anything that needed to be stashed away. there were some drivers who were greedy and they would nick off each other, but he would never give your stuff away and he would get his .

So once you had got sorted you would have to go a part of the yard to get your returned goods or damaged goods off the trailer ,some times with a shovel, powdered coffee ,and custard powder make a right mess all mixed up. however a lot of the mess was checked by the prick of the yard who worked for the maxwell house company.

They would try to see that the lids of the coffee jars were still screwed on to the broken jars and not been opened and the bottoms of the jars were broken they new you would not take loose coffee off the floor. So that is why we used to get it at the other end of the job the delivery…also they would count all the packets of crushed custard powder so as to see that you had not stolen any [how dare they].
Most of the food customers were small shops or small cash and carry outfits. Not big stores like now but if you did have a bulk order ,ie the whole trailer for one customer you never got a thing for yourself…

That was one part of the driving at BR S it was not all food delivers in box vans they were the cream jobs, the majority of the work was all roping and sheeting and it was nothing for us drivers to have to do sheeting and roping the load on your own if a load had been [transshipped]`it would be a load of lots of different delivers as well as mixed up goods of all descriptions maybe known as a ■■■■ load… within the yard by the yard gang they would disappear when they had done their bit and leave you to get on with it .if you were lucky they would have lifted the big 8 panel sheets on top of the load for you to begin ,it was normally good if it was ■■■■■■■ with rain and the wind blowing just the thing you did not want however all in a days. Good experience.

Sometimes when we had a load of the food from general foods ,on a flat bed trailer ,when roping the load down to secure it lots of the top boxes would end up damaged ,so by the end of the day of delivering you would have a nice mess on the trailer ,custard powder mixed with angle delight and also some coffee it used to get rather sticky and you could be covered in powder. Not good when you then had to find some digs [B an B] smelling rather sweet…

After a while I knew I had made a good move from the cattle trucks however the traffic manager was a right prick and sometimes you can have enough ■■■■ from a man so in the end the big bust up came. =
We had loads delivering around Nottingham ,after I had finished for the day I went to my in laws who lived just out side Nottingham on a R A F camp. I went to the guard house ,asked where to park, I was told it would all be ok ,parked up near the houses and went to the house ,got up in the morning all ok carried on finished my jobs ,collected pallets for the return and back to BANBURY.

all fine so I thought, Back in the yard ,did all the routine, went to the office to clear to go home, was told the depot manger wanted to see me. The story was a routine police car doing rounds saw the lorry parked up. Yes it was not normal for a commercial lorry to be there.
They went to the guard house at the camp, they new nothing as they could not see the lorry so they did not know it was there and it was not recorded in their book. [I never left a note in the screen to say where I was] so the police take over they have now got a stolen lorry on a R A F camp [I am asleep] so the ■■■■ starts they in the end find out its from Banbury ,wake the depot manager up, he wakes jock up [all by phone] god knows what else .so they never thought old on ,its locked up, all the sheets and load is secure, the police do not tell them this .so I am missing ,lorry stolen ooh zb

At 7 am I go back to the lorry start up and go no one stops me nothing. so you can visualise me in the office gob smacked… what is going on I did not know .so in the end I hold my own with the pair of them and that is sorted and go home ,however my dear old jock o. holds grudges

days later I am told jock wants to see me , so now I am ready for this ,the little scotch ■■■■■ and he was little. He wanted to suspend me for not parking at the Nottingham depot .so I told him to go ■■■■ him self and said I’m jacking [leaving] however. Little did I know but the union man was on my side, and told them [after]so long as all is secure ,and your are not off the load route you can stay where you like in digs so long as the load is secure.

So I did not finish in the end but he had my card marked and he would and could make my life a misery but he never as it turned out he was ex RAF so it must have made a difference as my father in law was AIR CREW. [ Also a jock] Why I do not know but it worked out all right after that episode.

Within the B R S they had a lot of different categorise of drivers

Day Trunking.= drivers would drive from one town or city to another B R S depot drop the trailer ,collect another and drive it back to their own depot That is all they would do ,not touch the load at all ,
Night Trunking. =
they would do as the same as the day men but at night.
Trampers= They would start at their depot and just go wherever the load is for ,then just get sent anywhere with another load and so on and make a sort of round trip not allways getting home that week that was the start of things to come however the B R S did it first

Day men =That is what we were mostly working out of your own depot with the odd night away

Weekend Work = was unheard of unless you were Scottish they had such long distances to go we did the very odd Saturday morning but that would be all. However there was one very good weekend run but that was a special to Glasgow [■■■■■■■■■■■■ and one man to do it yes a jock ,double time for a Sunday, leaving Saturday, time and a half, good money .After about two years there I eventually got a crack at the Scottish run , Now I was driving where I had never been before

I had not been north of Manchester , the M6 only went as far as Preston ,Lancashire from the A5 Cannock, north of Birmingham .Then up on the dreaded A6 a notorious road with all the hair raising stories up the dreaded climb called SHAP with a café half way up called the Jungle .
Stories of lorry’s trapped for days on the Icy roads no gritters then ,well few if any ,well the time came for me and it was summer for me so ■■■■ it. it was fine ,however even to this day it was and still is a very dangerous road it was the only west coast road from Scotland to England., the M6 goes up SHAP now but it is 3 lanes. wonder where all the ladies went to
When we finished the delivery in GLASGOW we then went into the depot there and you would be loaded there from the depot most times it was called a Bonded load and it would be spirits whisky. Normally for the LONDON CUSTOM BOND via our depot .when we had sheeted the load and then roped it secure, the customs officers came round, and on every knot we tied in the rope [called a dolly knot] they would attach a wire customs seal in every rope knot on that load ,then you would be told when to leave and to stop only at B R S depts Preston for the first night for diesel and secure parking also there was a car ■■■■■■ running behind you however you never got to see it,

i think that was ■■■■■■■■ however no one ever knew or put it to the test and if we broke down we were to stay put at all times never leave the lorry ,if you had a flat tyre on the B R S you were not allowed to change a wheel, we did not have the equipment any how and wait for the police. So it would be Preston, then on to Banbury or if you could not make it you would go to WOLVERHAMPTON. Then on the next day to Banbury, where all the ropes would be checked over. by the local customs most towns had the own customs offices. Many people would not know that. so that would be the end of the trip for you ,if all went well you would wait for the next one, I had my share of then Distance work. As the years went by for me within the road haulage the custom officers were allays the same never said a word, unless they wanted to know something…

The fitting of a custom seal is still today the same as then,the seal=a soft circular piece of lead ,about the size of a new penny 2013 penny. not the old £.shilling and pence,penny .they would tie a piece of waxed string through the knot [like a figure of 8 knot] so it went around the whole rope knot then push the string through the rope[ the lay of the rope] so it was tamper proof ,get the two ends of the string together, push them through to small holes drilled through the lead penny, and put the lead into like a pair of pliers [made for the job] and squeeze together to flatten it so now it looks twice the size ,and it would also have a imprint of a crown on one side and a number on the other the number being of the office that did the sealing. it was up until the end of customs in the uk
r EEC export the same. out side of the EEC customs procedures would apply…i will elaborate later on about the ITALIANS CUSTOMS…

So life at the B R S was all right the money not the best, but we all seemed to manage . all drivers who lived in villages had to have a car if you did not you were basically zbked .petrol was cheapish you would be able to put 4 gallons of petrol in your car for £1 .beer was 1/9d a pint ■■■■ for 20 were about 2 shillings [2./00] wages were not brilliant £20 £30a week. Very, few men in manual labour jobs managed to afford mortgages, that was like a middle class thing, professional people only, in fact every one had their wages paid in cash . Bank accounts not heard of for workers .most people rented from the state or private and it was normal ,life was fairly good.

Mrs THATCHER WAS A LONG WAY OFF. she did the workers one good thing that was the right to buy Your council house it put 100% of workers who lived in council houses on the ladder to moving up to the better housing estates and owning your own property ,the government gave you a percentage discount for however long you had been living in a council property ,that reduced the amount you had to pay for the house you lived in, also you had to get a mortgage from a bank as most people did not have bank accounts that was the first step ,Banks then were rather how would you say middle class but they new there was a lot of “new” money going to be around. and their stuffiness seemed to mellow.

Also we had the new currency to contend with moving to decimal from the pound shilling and pence. Lots of horror stories flying around you would loose this and that ,however it did not really bother the average working man he had his weekly wage packet and got on with it. it is such a long time ago I do not remember now any mishaps to us. at least getting paid monthly to the bank had not yet arrived 1980s for that.

Now the 1970s were starting to change quite a few things for everybody ,some good and some not however the transport industry was at last starting to grow from the old drib and drab 1950/60 s
the government were starting to finish with the massive B R S industry that were 100% subsidised and let more work go to the private haulage companies ,they were always there but never in a big way so some of the work we were doing sometimes we would find a total stranger loading loads we used to do. so the union would get involved and try to stop the loading through the factory workers and it sometimes worked not in our area ,but in the big cities and docks where the union used to rule and that was the way it was especially in the car manufacturing facilities .[[that is a whole story on its own]

We just carried on doing our jobs not thinking then that the way we were working that was completely normal to us was in the throws of change.

I do thing my time at the BRS was about the best sort of learning anyone could get within the transport industry, all though I did have the occasionally ■■■■ up normally it was your won doing but at least you learned and hopefully it did not happen again. As time went on you got as they would let you do all type of loads and you trusted others to do their job correct ,wrong, big mistake .

The B R S had a contract to deliver to BROKE BOND tea and coffee company at ST ALBANS ,for us a local job ,the trailers were always loaded at the tea warehouse by one of our intrepid shunter’s roped and sheeted dropped in the yard and left, so you did put a lot of trust in them and you thought they would do a good job ,and they knew who would be taking the load the next day as the loads were always put on a notice board for all to see. So when you had finished doing whatever you would look for tomorrows loaded trailer hitch up ,check the ropes ,sheets. And all the other things and get home as quick as you could, next morning everything is fine start up the lorry, Pull out the yard, turn right no problem off I go.

It was a bit of country road ,well we were in the country ,and I was making for Towcester the main A5 that was one of the main junctions north or south or east west, busy place .The back road brought us out at near Silverstone, [the race track] that was the A43 then down to TOWCESTER the main traffic light there were horrendous at times with traffic, my route was sharp right turn at the lights through the small town and away .My turn came lights green and having to do a full 90degree turn your unit and trailer were at the maximum turn without jack-knifing into each other I was just pulling out to straighten up when I heard this crunching, wooden ship like sound ,i thought what the ■■■■ looked in my mirror thought I have crunched a car but all was well that side then I looked in to my offside mirror and all i could see going over the path and resting on a building a massive green bulge.

oh no. the whole side of the load had just decided to leave the trailer and rest in the sheets, the trailer was not clear of the traffic lights . I had made a perfect turn slowly ,however when a sharp turn is made the trailer will lean on the turntable .that tilts it to one side and that had happened, when a load is secure it will not or should not move this load ,in this instance something was not right with it and it slipped. In a big way ,no place to hide,
All the traffic was stopped all 4 ways at the traffic lights . My next move, gear stick placed out of gear ,hand brake on ,switch engine off… that done I run round to see if anyone is under the load thank god no one was walking on the pavement at the time.