Must i carry licence?

iDriver:
There is no requirement for the driver to carry his/her licence, there is however a requirement under Section 168 of the road traffic act for a driver to produce the licence upon request of a constable.

As soon as you fail to produce it upon request you technically commit an offence under section 168, however you are protected from prosecution by the statutory defence of producing it at a police station within 7 days.

Just SMS’d my semi-tame Barrister “Is it a legal requirement to carry you’re driving licence?” & got the following : “A very grey & undefined point in law & there is no correct answer.”

My Barrister buddy would also like to point out that you are able to drive without a valid licence . . . think test pass certificate here . . . !

On the last session on the DCPC we did, we were told it is not a legal requirement to carry your driving licence with you, but you must produce it within 7 days. If you have a digicard all your details are on there, and these days VOSA and Police can find out your driving entitlements easily enough but it’s easier for them if you have it though. Now from experience, when some young woman hit me head on and the Police turned up, they asked for my licence. I told em i hadn’t got it on me. All they said was, “you are supposed to carry it with you at all times”, my argument was that they were now contradicting themselves, as they are always telling us not to leave anything with personal details in the vehicle, so i didn’t. However i was happy to produce it at my local nick if required, and thats what i did. No points or fine given for not carrying it.

Thinking about it . . . ! If there was a legal requirement to carry it with you . . . then there’d be lots of reminders here, there & everywhere.

If you are tramping then it may be best as you never know where the job may take you. Places like MOD bases or SW1 2AA that I kept getting sent to last year.

degsy4wheels:
On the last session on the DCPC we did, we were told it is not a legal requirement to carry your driving licence with you, but you must produce it within 7 days. If you have a digicard all your details are on there, and these days VOSA and Police can find out your driving entitlements easily enough but it’s easier for them if you have it though. Now from experience, when some young woman hit me head on and the Police turned up, they asked for my licence. I told em i hadn’t got it on me. All they said was, “you are supposed to carry it with you at all times”, my argument was that they were now contradicting themselves, as they are always telling us not to leave anything with personal details in the vehicle, so i didn’t. However i was happy to produce it at my local nick if required, and thats what i did. No points or fine given for not carrying it.

Your address,in future,will not be on your digi card according to recent info.

Chas:

iDriver:
There is no requirement for the driver to carry his/her licence, there is however a requirement under Section 168 of the road traffic act for a driver to produce the licence upon request of a constable.

As soon as you fail to produce it upon request you technically commit an offence under section 168, however you are protected from prosecution by the statutory defence of producing it at a police station within 7 days.

Just SMS’d my semi-tame Barrister “Is it a legal requirement to carry you’re driving licence?” & got the following : “A very grey & undefined point in law & there is no correct answer.”

My Barrister buddy would also like to point out that you are able to drive without a valid licence . . . think test pass certificate here . . . !

Either he didn’t understand the question or you didn’t understand the answer. As you are quoting my post you need to read it again. As I clearly said, there is no requirement to carry it only a requirement to produce it.

Chas:
. . . think test pass certificate here . . . !

Can you explain as I can’t see how? If you pass a test and your licence becomes invalid before claiming the entitlement then I can’t see how the certificate overrides that. What am I missing here :confused:

iDriver:
Either he didn’t understand the question or you didn’t understand the answer. As you are quoting my post you need to read it again. As I clearly said, there is no requirement to carry it only a requirement to produce it.

It was your bit about “you technically commit an offence under section 168”. Something I take offence too !

How do you "technically’ commit an offence?

I asked him a qu’ on whether it is a legal requirement to carry your driving licence & guess what, he answered that there is no correct answer to the question.

Have me & you been here before?

Hi 206 doorman. I didn’t know about the address bit in future on the digicard. Although it does have ya photo on and ya name and licence details, so really everything they need is still on the digicard and a quick pnc check will verify whether theres any ban in place. I always have my licence on me at work, but never take it out of my work bag or i would either forget it or lose it.

mrpj:

Chas:

Can you explain as I can’t see how? If you pass a test and your licence becomes invalid before claiming the entitlement then I can’t see how the certificate overrides that. What am I missing here :confused:

You’re missing the point that you send off your licence, together with your test pass certificate, to have your licence reissued with your new entitlement. After you’ve sent it off you can no longer produce it on demand by a Constable until DVLA return it.

Is it illegal to drive/ride anything while the DVLA processes your new licence?

Chas, did your friend at the Bar happen to mention it was a Weatherspoons.

iDriver:

At £2.5k per hour (two thousand five hundred pounds per HOUR) I doubt that he frequents such an establishment. I know for a fact that he doesn’t even associate with those that do.

So, how do you ‘technically’ commit an offence?

Chas:

iDriver:

At £2.5k per hour (two thousand five hundred pounds per HOUR) I doubt that he frequents such an establishment. I know for a fact that he doesn’t even associate with those that do.

Instead of spouting what your mate told you for free what he normally gets paid 2.5k per hour, try reading section 164

iDriver:
Instead of spouting what your mate told you for free what he normally gets paid 2.5k per hour, try reading section 164

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/164

The question being discussed in this thread is whether or not it is a legal requirement to carry your licence.

I asked a Barrister. His response was that there isn’t a correct answer to the question.

What part of this can you not accept? What part of this is upsetting you?

keep my paper counterpart ADR certificate and cpc certificate in one of those clear plastic A4 wallets for binders keeps them clean and caen be read without removing from wallet keep it in my bag with other paper work diary etc

Chas:

mrpj:

Chas:

You’re missing the point that you send off your licence, together with your test pass certificate, to have your licence reissued with your new entitlement. After you’ve sent it off you can no longer produce it on demand by a Constable until DVLA return it.

Is it illegal to drive/ride anything while the DVLA processes your new licence?

I got that it’s just (IMO) at no point in that process do you cease to have a valid licence. You cannot produce it but a DVLA check would reveal a full (or provisional in the case of most car drivers) licence and the certificate would confirm the upgrade.

Chas:

iDriver:

Road Traffic Act 1988

The question being discussed in this thread is whether or not it is a legal requirement to carry your licence.

I asked a Barrister. His response was that there isn’t a correct answer to the question.

What part of this can you not accept? What part of this is upsetting you?

Errr I think you will find that’s the question I answered?

Now you can go read the link and find the answer for yourself or not, I really dont give a toss.

Chas:

iDriver:

So if he does a 48hr week for 50 weeks of the year, he’s on…

I can’t bring myself to write it! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

iDriver:

Chas:

iDriver:

Quite right ,

Lets think about this with a bit of common sense .There cannot be a legal requirement to carry a DL when driving or you would never be able to update your address,have points added/taken off or any other details changed as sending it back to DVLA for changes such as change of address is a legal requirement .There is no “grey area” .I would suggest that there is no legal requirement to carry a DL specifically so that a driver won’t be committing an offence when he complies with the law (re applying changes to the licence) .

It’s just common sense.

Scanner:

Chas:

iDriver:

So if he does a 48hr week for 50 weeks of the year, he’s on…

I can’t bring myself to write it! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I would take anything Chas says with a pinch of salt. He is what phsychiatrists refer to as “a field day”.