MPs reject driver shortage, crap pay and conditions to blame

Darkside:

Evil8Beezle:
The industry wouldn’t have an alleged shortage if the basic as £15 an hour with overtime on top…

I agree with that because there wouldn’t be a haulier left in business with pay rates that high…

There would if they were the only game in town, or if every other game in town is charging the same.

The MPs report basically says between the lines that there is too much competition in the industry, which prevents any employer from achieving their strategic goals for so long as they are (or would be) subject to market competition from those behaving tactically (like one-man-bands poaching trained workers from bigger firms).

OVLOV JAY:
The worse thing we ever had was the introduction of the nmw. Wages would never have fallen so low without its introduction. It’s become a benchmark wage, and until people start offering more than the firm round the corner, like the old days, you’ll never turn it around.

It’s not a benchmark wage - there’s no way to lower wages in the market through “benchmarking”, unless they were unjustifiably high to begin with. Otherwise, doctors would be earning NMW.

What has happened is that at roughly the same time as NMW, we’ve also had tax credits (which subsidise employers and allow earned wages to fall as workers are willing to accept lower wages with the difference supplemented by TCs), we’ve had EU free movement, and we’ve had many more anti-worker policies in general from the government (and a lack of pro-worker responses to employer innovations, like casualization, union busting, tax-evading agencies, etc.).

Without the NMW, wages would have fallen even further.

Rjan:

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The NMW has provided a benchmark figure for crap employers to aim down to! Without the NMW maybe them employers would be offering say £5 p/h but there would be no takers so they would have to increase the offer until it met a local average. With the NMW they can offer that and the type of people who work for that sort of wage perceive that they are getting a good deal and therefore offer their services.

It’s no accident that many employers have a two tier wage system wherein workers who have worked for the Co since before the introduction of the NMW get £X p/h as that was the going rate THEN. However new starters are paid NMW as the employer has been provided a handy figure to aim down to.

No offence Rjan but I’m bowing out now as I’m not Carryfast and have neither the time, patience nor bandwidth to discuss this for the next 74 pages! :smiley:

how long can this go on before something snaps? Are we going to see a mass exodus of drivers?

the maoster:

Rjan:

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The NMW has provided a benchmark figure for crap employers to aim down to! Without the NMW maybe them employers would be offering say £5 p/h but there would be no takers so they would have to increase the offer until it met a local average. With the NMW they can offer that and the type of people who work for that sort of wage perceive that they are getting a good deal and therefore offer their services.

It’s no accident that many employers have a two tier wage system wherein workers who have worked for the Co since before the introduction of the NMW get £X p/h as that was the going rate THEN. However new starters are paid NMW as the employer has been provided a handy figure to aim down to.

No offence Rjan but I’m bowing out now as I’m not Carryfast and have neither the time, patience nor bandwidth to discuss this for the next 74 pages! :smiley:

NMW is the starting benchmark EVERY employer wants to be able to pay, and ONLY when they can’t achieve the desired results from that will they contemplate offering more! Why would they do anything else? :open_mouth:

I’m glad the government have told the industry to stop crying and to sort it out themselves, the next step is to make agency staffing less financially viable to the firms…

Radar19:
how long can this go on before something snaps? Are we going to see a mass exodus of drivers?

Nope, we will all still be here whining even more, if that’s possible! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

Radar19:

Something has to give. I’m sat here at Cobham parked up, looking around at the drivers parked up around me, not one looks younger than 40. It really is an old mans profession. How do you make this job attractive to someone who isn’t obsessed with lorries? I know a pay increase would be a start but what else? Not everyone can drive around in V8 Topliners and FH750’s.

Radar19:

Evil8Beezle:

Radar19:

Something has to give. I’m sat here at Cobham parked up, looking around at the drivers parked up around me, not one looks younger than 40. It really is an old mans profession. How do you make this job attractive to someone who isn’t obsessed with lorries? I know a pay increase would be a start but what else? Not everyone can drive around in V8 Topliners and FH750’s.

You’re absolutely right and that’s why I said earlier up no shortage yet but there will be.

You only have to look around at the age of drivers that are driving trucks at the moment. You won’t find many under 45 these days.

You will always get the ones that will spend their life in the nice trucks for a few hundred quid a week but nine times out of ten once they’ve done it a few years the novelty of that soon wears off. Driving a nice shiny truck doesn’t pay your mortgage .

I’m willing to stick my neck out now and stick with my statement above. The industry will soon be like the farming industry where we import the foreign workers who will do the job for far less. Think about it the NHS has been doing it for years. If they can do it for the NHS they Won’t think twice about doing it in this game!

Radar19:

Evil8Beezle:

Radar19:

Nothing is going to give at present with free EU migration, only when this tap is turned off will anything change…

the maoster:

Rjan:

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The NMW has provided a benchmark figure for crap employers to aim down to!

But why would anyone accept it, if they weren’t willing to accept it before? (Unless, of course, workers are also systematically benchmarking their pay demands downwards to NMW).

It’s an interesting theory but without an explanation of how this benchmarking actually overrides market forces, I’m inclined to look at other factors which explain why wages have fallen.

Personally, what I’d be inclined to think is that some employers had previously been paying more than the required market rate (perhaps because they weren’t under pressure to pay less, and perhaps in the past had been under pressure from unions or market conditions to pay more and had not immediately dropped wages once this pressure fell away).

So on this analysis, the NMW has not affected underlying market forces, it has just encouraged employers to look at what the market rate actually is. This I gather is part of what firms like De Poel do - they exchange wage data and equalise unnecessarily high wages (which employers can afford, but aren’t required by workers to pay) down to the market rate.

Without the NMW maybe them employers would be offering say £5 p/h but there would be no takers so they would have to increase the offer until it met a local average. With the NMW they can offer that and the type of people who work for that sort of wage perceive that they are getting a good deal and therefore offer their services.

I’d be interested to understand this better. If there are no takers at £5, then wages must go up. If there are no takers at £NMW, then wages must go up. The fact that there are takers, suggests that this is the market rate.

I don’t understand why workers who required £9 before, would when NMW comes in at £7, lower their demands. Nor do I understand why employers who couldn’t get workers to take at less than £9 before, will suddenly get them to take at £7 when NMW comes in.

As I say, what was really happening before NMW was that some employers were offering above the market rate (for whatever reason). Perhaps the introduction of NMW prompted a review of payroll costs, and somebody took a chance attacking the drivers to try and keep costs down (a chance of disruption they wouldn’t normally risk taking without the overall pressure to find savings) - and when there was no ructions, and no shortage generated, word got around to other local firms that drivers could be paid less and that the true market rate was lower than appeared.

But why do they have takers? Perhaps the old rate was set by a union (or a large union presence in the general market) which has since disintegrated. Hence, newly employed drivers will accept less (as perhaps the old drivers would have as isolated individuals facing either low wages or unemployment), but they got a premium baked into their contracts because they were taken on when a solid union forced the wages up at that firm (or forced up the wages at a competitor with which they could have sought work instead, and so increased the market rate by forcing employers to compete with the unionised firm to retain good workers).

That’s just speculation of course, but I’m inclined to think the NMW was introduced at the same time as adverse market changes, not that the NMW caused adverse market changes.

I say this because whilst it acts maybe as a psychological target for employers trying to force down wages, or might trigger a pay review all at once amongst several employers (because they need to decide whether customers or higher-paid workers will pay for the increase for low-paid workers), there’s no reason why it should act as a psychological target for workers who were demanding more beforehand. If anything, in skilled jobs workers psychological target should go up, as they demand to be paid more than NMW and maintain differentials in pay (and now have better paid alternative careers thanks to NMW).

Shame. You make points but don’t want to subject them to any analysis. It’s even more of a shame because it strikes me as wrongheaded and could disadvantage workers if your view were believed but was not correct.

Evil8Beezle:
I’m glad the government have told the industry to stop crying and to sort it out themselves, the next step is to make agency staffing less financially viable to the firms…

Ironically I think you’ll find that the government’s real wish and agenda is to smash the UK road transport industry in favour of rail and what rail doesn’t want goes to cheap rate foreign operations.In which case no one with any sense is going to put a career in the road transport industry above trying to get into the rail sector instead.On that note no statements from May yet regarding article 50 and therefore without Brexit the issue of the lifting of cabotage restrictions is still a matter of when not if and which will be a game changer regards the future of the domestic sector. :unamused:

Evil8Beezle:
NMW is the starting benchmark EVERY employer wants to be able to pay, and ONLY when they can’t achieve the desired results from that will they contemplate offering more! Why would they do anything else? :open_mouth:

But before NMW, the target was zero! No employer seeks to pay more than zero under any circumstances - they only pay more because so little will not achieve the desired results.

That said, why would a higher minimum target amongst employers, lead to a lower norm or a lower average?

The only way I can understand this is if workers are somehow simultaneously benchmarking down. So guys who wanted top of the market before, suddenly decide they’re happy with the legal minimum in the market! I suppose it’s possible a minimum wage could affect both sides like this (i.e. it would be an explanation if it was true), but I can’t understand why workers who wanted more before would want less after (the opposite is true in my experience, people want differentials maintained, so if they were getting £9 when others were on £5, they want at least £9 when others are raised to £7, unless they have chosen to make a sacrifice for solidarity).

Indeed.

Radar19:

For my 3p worth (2p plus index linking, :grimacing: ) I don’t think anything will happen suddenly, because that would take some organising.
We aren’t well known for being organised. :cry:

I think there is an exodus, and I think that the process is very gradual, but if outflow exceeds inflow, the pool dwindles.

Now as to the reasons… they are many and varied, but I’d say the lack of inflow is for reasons to do with the perception that the younger guys/girls have towards our industry and the relative costs of training.

I’d say that the outflow reasons are connected to either pay, or conditions, or both.

Some posters have mentioned that employers could do more, and that’s true in many cases, but let’s remember that it’s very often the customers who dictate the haulage rate.

The simple equation is that:

A free economy + market forces = take it or leave it.

Evil8Beezle:
Nothing is going to give at present with free EU migration, only when this tap is turned off will anything change…

Which leaves the question of Dolph’s comments. :wink: :laughing: IE it’s not all about wages it’s also the quality of the work on offer.To the point where it can be better to accept a lower wage for better work.The problem being that a shortage of decent work and opportunities applies in all cases whether indigenous or the immigrant workforce.The type of work on offer arguably being as much if not more of an issue than wages in the UK case. :bulb:

When the NMW came into force, I was unloading containers on £4.75 an hour. The week after, I was doing it for £3.50 an hour. I left in disgust and the following week I was moving timber in a furniture factory, on £3.50 an hour :confused:

The moral of the story being, if you pay the bare minimum, you know your contracts can’t be undercut on labour costs, and unskilled people will always work for those rates. What we’ve seen in haulage, is the “unskilled” element is now foreign labour, and new drivers, who are grateful of a job, any job. Did the 2 year experience rule get enforced rigidly before jobs were mostly NMW posts? I was never out of work in my first two years, and never worked for anything close to NMW either :bulb:

I’ve been out of haulage for over 9 years now for a number of reasons.
Facilities were awful and getting worse, a situation made worse by drivers with no care of how showers/ toilets were looked after.
Hours that meant life outside of work was effectively a day and a half a week.felt
Money. OK I took home decent money but not for the hours worked!

I’m now in a semi skilled job at above £30k for 37.5 hrs, O/T at time and a half, not an extra quid like driving seems to be now.
Decent pension and healthcare too.
Can’t see driving tempting me back unless things change massively but unless drivers stop bring seen as a commodity they won’t!

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

Carryfast:

Evil8Beezle:

Which leaves the question of Dolph’s comments. :wink: :laughing: IE it’s not all about wages it’s also the quality of the work on offer.To the point where it can be better to accept a lower wage for better work.The problem being that a shortage of decent work and opportunities applies in all cases whether indigenous or the immigrant workforce.The type of work on offer arguably being as much if not more of an issue than wages in the UK case. :bulb:

Why work class 2 with all positives and negatives for 8,50p/h(0 experience in UK) when one can work for 9+p/h in warehouse, have breaks, canteen with cooked food, tv in break room, colleagues to have a chat with, work in 20C with shorts on regardless of the weather outside, 3 weeks holiday. And even though Im employed by an agency I have Gangmaster Licensing Authority to turn to if Im being screwed with pay, holiday, safety equipment or discriminated.
Im not saying warehouse is great, simply class 2 ■■■■■.

I’m learning all about “Recruitment and retention issues” day by day - unfortunately.

Just as a defined benefits final salary pension absolutely rocks compared to a defined contributions pension - which constantly gets looted by governments and inept pension fund managers alike.

“Pay in £y get your salary x inflation x£y out” which is worth an absolute mint in these days of low interest rates.

"Pay in ever more, and find yourself getting back less than you paid in because of duff investments, high management charges, and most important - no guaranteed defined benefits on retirement. They actually don’t have to pay you out a brass farthing according to the wording of that contract.

Now we have employment with overtime stripped out as a “standard right” from our full time jobs. There’s still a need for “extra hours” to be put in so the job can get done, the customer satisfied etc. but the 48 hour WTD means firms can get out of paying overtime a lot easier now, and get drivers to work over the top in hours by “booking it away as POA” rather than booking it as overtime. So you work more hours, and get paid the same as your flat salary if you’re not careful.

This is the area where Agency work wins out over full time of course. On agency you nearly always get paid by the hour - thus eliminating the “rush rush” culture at very least.

Bottom line though - if you take a full time job on a salary now, based on a legal maximum working week of 48 hours that magically becomes an average rather than a ‘limit’ - you end up working nearly all the time over 50 hours, and when the work drops off, you’re told that this represents getting some over-hours back again. FFS. Bring back the good old days when the work going quiet meant early knocks - but no overtime for a few weeks.

"Don’t submit to stupid rules.
…Be yourself and not a fool.
Don’t accept ‘average hours’…
Open your heart and PUSH the limits".

Mike Cretu Enigma “The Screen Behind the Mirror” 1999.

GOV IS SPOT ON FOR A CHANGE . I have said for years there is plenty of drivers trouble is lots will not take the crap that comes with it ie driver cpc ,cameras in cab, long hours not to mention the awkward start and finish times.Not enough places to stop for real rest,sleep shower ect .when I started we had log books I think the spread over was 14 hours I may be wrong at 15 spread we have not come far ,nit picking with hours if a mistake has been made ,i could go on but me I like it but as I say a lot of good people out there do not.

Thing is, it’s hardly good for an industry if we encourage Brit drivers to hang up their keys, and allow unfettered foreign truckers to take over the whole show. In another generation at this rate - ISIS will be delivering bombs to people’s door - the caliphate having by this point gained a master grip on the transport networks of the west.

We all thought control of OIL was the balance of power in terms of world transport.
Well - The Islamists already have a big grip on that. Add to their control actual personnel doing the job of driving the vehicles as well - and things like this can only become the norm rather than the exception. :frowning: