MK1 & MK11 Atkinsons,a class on their own

Atkinson Borderer of Robert Baillie from Portsmouth, ready to set off from their office and depot
at Chappelle Drive in Doncaster. The trailer is loaded with 271 x 12 stone bags of Caster Meal from
Croda Premier at Ann Watson Street in Hull,20 tons for delivery to a mushroom farm near Bognor Regis.
In the early 1970s, I loaded them at Hull several times, and at that time I was no more than 9 stone
in weight. The bloody bags were a third heavier than me. After about 50 miles on the road, it was
necessary to stop, because the bags had settled, and the ropes had gone slack, and re rope the load,
after another 50 miles it was necessary to tighten the ropes again. Click to enlarge the picture.
Ray Smyth.

Scan%204.jpg

Bumped up for the chap enquiring about these for model making this weekend.

Ro

ERF-NGC-European:
Bumped up for the chap enquiring about these for model making this weekend.

Ro

Ro, You have beat me to it, I was just about to post a similar picture to help with his model making. Cheers, Ray.

Just to keep this going a bit,
My first decent job, i was 22 when I got this in 1975, ■■■■■■■■ 220 DB 6 speed no power steering.
Now retired but would love to go back to driving this.

A few shots of the loads of new 45gal drums we hauled from Brabys Works in Aintree up to Marchon ( Albright & Wilson) at Whitehaven . the low load next to the drums is Pig Iron from Workington and also the F88 is loaded with rail from Workington. Which drum works was that load from Pollystag ? Rheem Co maybe ? Cheers Bewick.

pollystag:
Just to keep this going a bit,
My first decent job, got this in 1975, ■■■■■■■■ 220 DB 6 speed no power steering.
Now retired but would love to go back to driving this.

I have a photo of this same motor in exactly the same colours, but in the name of Roach Transport of Purfleet - did it start life with Cambrian?

Bewick:
0This was a smooth little Atki 32ton gvw 150 LX/DB6:600/Kirkstall BDR would do 9MPG running at 32 ton.

That chrome bumper makes it look as flash as a rat with a gold tooth, Dennis.

Hi Dennis,I found this on p441 on South Wales thread them drums are rheemco blagden loaded for allbright and Wilson ,we used to deliver steel from the abbey to rheemco Bristol daily with blue line transport

37CAFA72-E137-4DDE-B76C-9AF6F6E701B7.jpeg

A few shots of the loads of new 45gal drums we hauled from Brabys Works in Aintree up to Marchon ( Albright & Wilson) at Whitehaven . the low load next to the drums is Pig Iron from Workington and also the F88 is loaded with rail from Workington. Which drum works was that load from Pollystag ? Rheem Co maybe ? Cheers Bewick.
[/quote]
Rheem & Blagden Bristol.
Steve.

smallcoal:
Hi Dennis,I found this on p441 on South Wales thread them drums are rheemco blagden loaded for allbright and Wilson ,we used to deliver steel from the abbey to rheemco Bristol daily with blue line transport

Dennis’s favourite motor , but they were that much in demand he couldn’t get hold of one new so he bought Scania instead how the drivers moaned :wink:

ramone:

smallcoal:

Dennis’s favourite motor , but they were that much in demand he couldn’t get hold of one new so he bought Scania instead how the drivers moaned :wink:

That was a 1976 shot I took of the Buffalo demo we ran for a month ! The driver had just run into the yard from Brabys in Aintree with a load of drums for Whitehaven and IIRC he was in the traffic office asking when his Scania 81 unit would be out of the workshop after service as he reckoned nowt of this heap of Leyland crap ! Cheers Dennis.

How did that piece of Leyland “S” get parked up alongside those Gems !!

Bewick:

ramone:

smallcoal:

That was a 1976 shot I took of the Buffalo demo we ran for a month ! The driver had just run into the yard from Brabys in Aintree with a load of drums for Whitehaven and IIRC he was in the traffic office asking when his Scania 81 unit would be out of the workshop after service as he reckoned nowt of this heap of Leyland crap ! Cheers Dennis.

Things change so quickly! Only a few years previously that same driver would have probably yearned for an Ergomatic cabbed truck?

Pete.

Biggest problem with the Atki was the cab width Dennis , my elbow kept slipping off the window sill , nice comfy arm rest in a Foden , lol .

rigsby:
Biggest problem with the Atki was the cab width Dennis , my elbow kept slipping off the window sill , nice comfy arm rest in a Foden , lol .

I would have thought that you “Knuckle Draggers” from Derbyshire would have long enough arms to be able lean ont’ sill and steer one of the “Crème de la Crème” " motors with one hand, well we could manage ! :wink: But then sat at the wheel of a Foden you probably daren’t chance steering one handed otherwise you would be liable to lose control and take a trip throo’t wall into’t field eh! :blush: Cheers Dennis. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:
How did that piece of Leyland “S” get parked up alongside those Gems !!

Not too sure about the Seddon Dennis unless it had the brilliant RR under the bonnet but i doubt very much it would have :wink:
That was a joke by the way

Well “ramone” I can tell you this Seddon was just as reliable as the Atky’s and it’s purchase came about when I was desperately trying to buy additional units which were in extremely short supply at that time in the mid 70’s. Anyway my Dealer Pal the late Malc Woodhouse located this chassis at Longfield Road Motors in Darlington and it was the same spec as our Borderers , ■■■■■■■ 220/RTO610/Group axle. I had to make a snap decision so I did the deal ! We put it into service in September '74 on double shifting, nights to Daventry and back the days down into Lancs/Cheshire/N.Wales ( Kwik Save Prestatyn). It gave trouble free service for over two years when it was repainted and transferred onto our local Paper Mill contract joining another three 32/4’s but they all had the 180LXB/DB 6:600. This Seddon had the higher diff ratio than the 180LXB’s and it could really pick it’s feet no problem and the Fuller 10 speed box proved a winner !

Bewick:
Well “ramone” I can tell you this Seddon was just as reliable as the Atky’s and it’s purchase came about when I was desperately trying to buy additional units which were in extremely short supply at that time in the mid 70’s. Anyway my Dealer Pal the late Malc Woodhouse located this chassis at Longfield Road Motors in Darlington and it was the same spec as our Borderers , ■■■■■■■ 220/RTO610/Group axle. I had to make a snap decision so I did the deal ! We put it into service in September '74 on double shifting, nights to Daventry and back the days down into Lancs/Cheshire/N.Wales ( Kwik Save Prestatyn). It gave trouble free service for over two years when it was repainted and transferred onto our local Paper Mill contract joining another three 32/4’s but they all had the 180LXB/DB 6:600. This Seddon had the higher diff ratio than the 180LXB’s and it could really pick it’s feet no problem and the Fuller 10 speed box proved a winner !

If only you had known Dennis you could have had a 220 RR Seddon with much more power for less money and much less reliability … but then again you probably did know :wink:

ramone:

Bewick:

If only you had known Dennis you could have had a 220 RR Seddon with much more power for less money and much less reliability … but then again you probably did know :wink:

We also ran a Seddon 32/4 RR220/610 box/Group axle ! Ugh ! pass the bucket ! :cry: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

ramone:

Bewick:

We also ran a Seddon 32/4 RR220/610 box/Group axle ! Ugh ! pass the bucket ! :cry: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Was it from a company buy our or was it cheap , were they as bad as some people say , i heard they were prone to oil leaks amongst other things