MK1 & MK11 Atkinsons,a class on their own

A Atkinson my Dad drove during his time at Midlands Storage

DSC_0031.JPG
6-71powered, 10speed Roadranger 'box.

I think this is the Atki my dad got new at Longs , 180 Gardner + DB6 box a flying machine :wink: . They bought 2 probably the last ones purchased before they moved to Mercs

Star down under.:
6-71powered, 10speed Roadranger 'box.

An Australian Mk.1 - belongs to David Hecker

I’ve just caught up with the Steetly thread n Eddie Heaton mentioned the iffy Foden throttle pedal which rang a bell. I had a m reg akky, about 5yr old,had 220 n roadranger box. Excepting dodgy 6th gear, I had to spragg me self against the door to use it,she was a good tool. Prior to that I was given a N reg with 180 g dB 8 in her. She was just over a year old,first run leics to H Hempstead , climbed out the cab n could hardly walk from holding pedal down. Now to the point, I seem to recall the n reg pedal was mounted on a box type affair raising it up but not on the m reg. Would I be correct or was it a back pressure thing.cheers coomsey

Comments about drivers and the Foden throttle pedal angle makes me chuckle; loosen one clamp bolt and you can reset the pedal to wherever you want it! We altered them to whatever suited the particular driver, same as the clutch pedal as one driver in particular liked the pedal up under the steering wheel so the clutch ‘bit’ right at the top and another liked it to bite as soon as it left the floor with only a couple of inches travel, blooming fussy sods are drivers! :laughing:

Pete.

We had a driver at Stirlands “Rocket” Ron Pearce every new lorry he had he would drill holes in the accelerator pedal and tie a wooden block to it to make it more comfortable

gazsa401:
We had a driver at Stirlands “Rocket” Ron Pearce every new lorry he had he would drill holes in the accelerator pedal and tie a wooden block to it to make it more comfortable

Your right there Gaz, many of our LXB’s had a wooden tapered wedge fixed to the throttle pedal which did make it a lot more comfortable on the right foot/ankle ! Cheers Dennis.

A local haulier’s son, who served his apprenticeship in our local ERF dealers was a wizard at setting up Gardner throttle linkages. With a bit of tweaking and the addition of two more springs he could transform the engines so much that there was no longer a market for my special lengths of 1" X 1" timber. :wink: :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
A local haulier’s son, who served his apprenticeship in our local ERF dealers was a wizard at setting up Gardner throttle linkages. With a bit of tweaking and the addition of two more springs he could transform the engines so much that there was no longer a market for my special lengths of 1" X 1" timber. :wink: :wink:

Hiya,
Oh’ ROF, you mean your “patented cruise control fitments” I had a piece
of broom handle with a walking stick tip it did the same job as your
overpriced piece of kit and mine was useful for prodding the trailer boy
should he dare try and have 40 winks and the rubber bit avoided causing
bruising and combined with my knotted rope was the ultimate deterrent.
Having the same trailer lad for more than one trip was most unlikely.
thanks harry, long retired.

There’s lots of doings here but was there a mod on the akky pedal or am I dreaming? Cheers coomsey

That’s another of my money-making ventures gone down the pan then, H.
Coomsey, The wedge-shaped bits of timber are still available for Gardner-engined Atkis, despite young Mr Gill’s attempts to plunge my fledgling business into bankruptcy! :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Coomsey, The wedge-shaped bits of timber are still available for Gardner-engined Atkis, despite young Mr Gill’s attempts to plunge my fledgling business into bankruptcy! :wink:

Hiya,
ROF, No need to file for bankruptcy my patent for the rubber ended version
of the ROF Cruise Control currently unnamed is available for a nominal fee
and a fly by night entrepeneur (can’t spell it) like your good self could soon
become a millionaire, go on be a devil and make me an offer I can’t refuse.

I will be in touch with my venture capital company first crack tomorrow, H. I’m sure they will be most enthusiastic to supply funds for the takeover of such a modern and labour-saving piece of technology. Meanwhile, may I congratulate you on your much improved design which, I am sure, will be received with gusto by a grateful road transport industry.
P.S. Don’t let any ■■■■■■■■ haulage magnates get wind of our deal, as I am sure one of them will be only too keen to insert the proverbial spanner in the works. And all because I named & shamed him for not paying his 40-year old invoice. :wink: :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:

By chance I’m in need of a couple but not for akky pedal. They’ll need to be very very finely sanded. If they do the job you’ll be in the money ROF specially if you get the NHS contract.cheers coomsey :slight_smile:

Retired Old ■■■■:
I will be in touch with my venture capital company first crack tomorrow, H. I’m sure they will be most enthusiastic to supply funds for the takeover of such a modern and labour-saving piece of technology. Meanwhile, may I congratulate you on your much improved design which, I am sure, will be received with gusto by a grateful road transport industry.
P.S. Don’t let any ■■■■■■■■ haulage magnates get wind of our deal, as I am sure one of them will be only too keen to insert the proverbial spanner in the works. And all because I named & shamed him for not paying his 40-year old invoice. :wink: :wink:

Hiya,
PMSL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

harry_gill:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Hiya,
ROF, No need to file for bankruptcy my patent for the rubber ended version
of the ROF Cruise Control currently unnamed is available for a nominal fee
and a fly by night entrepeneur (can’t spell it) like your good self could soon
become a millionaire, go on be a devil and make me an offer I can’t refuse.

■■■■ stick
Prod rod
Quick stick
Awake stake

No need for you lads with strange shaped feet/short legs to make any wooden wedges, think of the rain forests, just either adjust the linkage or buy a rubber door wedge and a couple of screws for 50 pence from your local Wilkos! :wink: Another money saving tip tomorrow…

Pete.

windrush:
No need for you lads with strange shaped feet/short legs to make any wooden wedges, think of the rain forests, just either adjust the linkage or buy a rubber door wedge and a couple of screws for 50 pence from your local Wilkos! :wink: Another money saving tip tomorrow…

Pete.

Are you in league with that Harry Gill by any chance, Pete? How come Bewick’s money-making ideas are so successful and mine get trampled upon by a couple of jealous old codgers?
Coomsey, it’e been noted that the NHS are just as reluctant to pay their bills as that retired haulage magnate from ■■■■■■■ so I won’t be applying for their patronage any time soon. Unless, of course, the contract should come with a Royal Warrant- that would make the old blighter sit up & take notice!