Mirrors - avoidable danger?

Hmmm! Obviously haven’t worked out this quote thing yet :blush: :blush:

Looks like you have now. :wink: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Thanks, now how did I do that?

Coffeeholic:
Looks like you have now. :wink: :smiley: :sunglasses:

…and so speaks my ‘quotes instructor’, neigh, GURU!!

Neil, have you seen some of my ‘complicated’ posting of quotes?? :wink:

good teacher = good student!! :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

daxi:
Isn’t the issue one of shouldn’t something which is designed to aid vision be placed in a position where it causes minimum vision loss ?.
Some of these mirrors are so ignorantly placed as to cause a very real danger when you attempt to look round them.

Now don’t be silly, if the mirrors were placed in a better position for the driver, then the vehicle wouldn’t look pretty, and we all know that even van and truck drivers want to look pretty, for the girls, you know.

This is part of the problem, they have designers designing the things we drive, and how many of them have driven the things?

Lets look at the problem further, what about the A pillars, aren’t they nice and strong, definately help to protect you in a collision, that you’ve caused, because the pillar stopped you seeing what you’ve just hit.
Even the fire service don’t like the thickness of these A pillars, they’re damned hard to cut through, and getting harder, and thats just on cars, never mind trucks.

There is even a name for this type of accident, SMIDSY, Sorry Mate I Didn’t See You. (taken from www.safespeed.org.uk)

I have always had a problem with the mirrors on Scanias due to being 6’6" they tend to be far too low for my liking, having to look down to a mirror is not an ideal situation, perhaps the manufacturers should also make the housing for mirrors adjustable up and down as well as the normal back and forth.

If you have a problem looking to the left in a Scania you can always lift the curtain covering the rear near side window and look through that cant you■■?.

Surely a driver always aware and continually checking his mirrors, knowing whats going on around him on a constant basis can see what goes in to a blind spot before it goes there and adjust his driving to suit those conditions?.

Foden rebadged ERF? is that right?, does that mean you break down twice as many times as normal?..

MrFlibble:

ticker:
Is there any logical reason why mirrors on the driver’s side on trucks can’t be placed in the same place as in cars :question:

Erm, because the body of the truck is usually wider than the cab, so if the mirror were in the same place, the body would obscure the view down the side of the truck. :bulb:

So make the cab wider, like the Magnum, only then don’t go and spoil it by putting the mirrors farther out still.

Thinking back the old style wrap round screens like Atki Mks 1 & 2 and Guy Invincibles gave better roundabout vision but wherever you put the mirrors, there’s a blind spot, can’t be avoided. Mind you, some of us went a lot faster in those days - no traffic, no limiters :laughing:

Salut, David

MrFlibble:

ticker:
Is there any logical reason why mirrors on the driver’s side on trucks can’t be placed in the same place as in cars :question:

Erm, because the body of the truck is usually wider than the cab, so if the mirror were in the same place, the body would obscure the view down the side of the truck. :bulb:

I generally drive an artic and have found that at least 95% of tractor units are at least the same width as the trailer :exclamation:

i have long legs so i have to move the seat back so i dont bang my knees on the steering column. as for curtains, i dont often get the luxury of a sleeper cab. when i do get one, the first thing i do is make sure i can use ALL available windows. i still get some cabs with a window on the back panel which is useful for peeping between the cab and body

Richie,

I am also tall (6’2"), most of which seems to be my legs (although there’s also a fair size gut to fit behind the steering wheel) and it’s true, I have to do ‘some adjustments’ to find the correct seating position! However, the last truck I remember NOT being able to find a suitable position was something like a Bedford TK/TM.

It would be a lot of crap motors you have driven if all of them don’t offer you a safe driving position. I personally would sacrifice an element of comfort to make sure I had good all-round vision!

unfortunately i am agency and dont get mt choice of truck. at the moment im driving M-R reg DAF55s. bottom spec day cabs. the odd one or two have radios though. the visibilty is ok. its everything else that ■■■■■. especially the handbrake on the dash. i feel like im back in the army again. :frowning:

ticker:
I generally drive an artic and have found that at least 95% of tractor units are at least the same width as the trailer :exclamation:

I don’t know much about artics, but on most of the rigids I’ve driven, if you stick your head out the driver’s window, you can’t see down the side.

Even if the cab is as wide as the body, it’s still useful to get the mirrors out a bit further, so you have some hope of judging where the wheels and/or back of the body are. If you can only just see down the side, it’s much more difficult, if not impossible, to judge it.

MrFlibble:
[Even if the cab is as wide as the body, it’s still useful to get the mirrors out a bit further, so you have some hope of judging where the wheels and/or back of the body are. If you can only just see down the side, it’s much more difficult, if not impossible, to judge it.

Couldn’ t agree less Mr. Flib, you want the mirrors to see tight down the body so you can better judge the clearance through tight places. 2 or 3 inches further out and you get a totally different view of the situation.
You should know how long your truck and wheelbase are, admittedly easier in an artic when you can wiggle a bit to see.

Salut, David.