Milk tankers

Animal welfare? Logbooks? What’s next? No need to MOT the truck…?

Milk is run on EU rules. Some collection jobs can (could?) be run under Domestic Rules, but only bulk farm from farm to dairy. Run a tanker on reload, you’re on EU rules. ( for the rest of the week). There can be exemptions, but only for specific reasons, and time limited. Example extreme weather, or the foot and mouth crisis.

Milk collection from farms can be done under GB Domestic rules. You can record your times in a log book or with a tachograph, whichever you prefer. A few years since I used a logbook, but they are nothing like the logbooks of olden times.

From memory, you did not enter start or finish location or start or finish kilometres. It wanted something like place where vehicle is usually based, time going on duty, time going off duty, total driving time, total duty time. And I think that was it, but really that is all that is relevant under GB domestic rules I suppose. There is no specified minimum overnight rest - merely sufficient, whatever that is. No requirement for breaks, just the ten hour driving limit and the eleven hour duty limit. That’s pretty much it, for lorry drivers of course. Domestic rules for PCV drivers are different, I don’t think they are required to actually record their hours even.

We had to comply with four items of the RTD legislation-The 48 hour average, but we could (and did) opt out of this. We were entitled to paid holiday, health checks if working nights and sufficient rest, again whatever that was or is. This may have changed. I last drove under GB regs in early 2012 I think.

I was stopped one snowy night and asked for my tacho. The copper was unamused when I said I didn’t have one and handed him my log book. He became incredulous after twenty minutes of demanding a tachograph interspersed with radio conversations when he discovered that what I had handed him was all I was required to hand him. It finished up with him telling me we were taking the ■■■■. I agreed politely and trucked off into the night.

paul2316:
As its animal welfare you run “out of scope” so the wtd is the only thing you need to pay attention to.

WTD pretty much doesn’t apply when on domestic, no breaks are required at all on domestic

None of the milk collection motors i know are tacho exept, plus i hope you dont get sea sick as it can feel like you on a boat as the barrel is completely hollow, so theres lots of movement

If you drive like a loon on every roundabout with a load of raw milk, when you arrive it will turn to butter or a creamy mess .
Some farmers wil plead poverty and they didn’t make a penny last year .
Even though his good looking daughters go to a private school and Mr and Mrs Farmer have a new Range Rover each .
I would take a spare set of clothing or wear a boiler suit in case of milk or manure getting on work clothes .

stevieboy308:

paul2316:
As its animal welfare you run “out of scope” so the wtd is the only thing you need to pay attention to.

WTD pretty much doesn’t apply when on domestic, no breaks are required at all on domestic

:unamused:

Driving under the GB domestic drivers’ hours rules (or are an occasional mobile worker)

If you drive a vehicle subject to the GB domestic drivers’ hours rules or are an occasional mobile worker (see text box for definition below), you are affected by four provisions under the 1998 Regulations.

These are:

weekly working time, which must not exceed an average of 48 hours per week over the reference period (although individuals can ‘opt out’ of this requirement if they want to)an entitlement to 5.6 weeks’ paid annual leavehealth checks for night workersan entitlement to adequate rest

Adequate rest

Adequate rest means that workers should have regular rest periods. These rest periods should be sufficiently long and continuous to ensure that workers do not harm themselves, fellow workers or others and that they do not damage their health in the short or long term.

Of course the boss will tell you that the 20 minutes transhipping milk at a reload point is 'adequate ’ rest… just put it on break.

(Edited for clarity)

Kerragy:
Milk collection from farms can be done under GB Domestic rules. You can record your times in a log book or with a tachograph, whichever you prefer. A few years since I used a logbook, but they are nothing like the logbooks of olden times.

From memory, you did not enter start or finish location or start or finish kilometres. It wanted something like place where vehicle is usually based, time going on duty, time going off duty, total driving time, total duty time. And I think that was it, but really that is all that is relevant under GB domestic rules I suppose. There is no specified minimum overnight rest - merely sufficient, whatever that is. No requirement for breaks, just the ten hour driving limit and the eleven hour duty limit. That’s pretty much it, for lorry drivers of course. Domestic rules for PCV drivers are different, I don’t think they are required to actually record their hours even.

We had to comply with four items of the RTD legislation-The 48 hour average, but we could (and did) opt out of this. We were entitled to paid holiday, health checks if working nights and sufficient rest, again whatever that was or is. This may have changed. I last drove under GB regs in early 2012 I think.

I was stopped one snowy night and asked for my tacho. The copper was unamused when I said I didn’t have one and handed him my log book. He became incredulous after twenty minutes of demanding a tachograph interspersed with radio conversations when he discovered that what I had handed him was all I was required to hand him. It finished up with him telling me we were taking the ■■■■. I agreed politely and trucked off into the night.

I guess there are a few operations left that use record sheets, rather than the tacho. But it does mean that milk collections from the farm is all the driver can do, because any other work (depot to dairy, dairy to dairy, depot to depot) needs a tacho.

the nodding donkey:

Kerragy:

I guess there are a few operations left that use record sheets, rather than the tacho. But it does mean that milk collections from the farm is all the driver can do, because any other work (depot to dairy, dairy to dairy, depot to depot) needs a tacho.

Yeah, I’m sure your right. I know bugger all about milk collections really, never done them. I was doing another job on domestic regs though and I have a couple of mates doing farm collections on them. They are using tacho to record rather than log sheets. I was on log sheets.

the nodding donkey:

stevieboy308:

paul2316:

Driving under the GB domestic drivers’ hours rules (or are an occasional mobile worker)

If you drive a vehicle subject to the GB domestic drivers’ hours rules or are an occasional mobile worker (see text box for definition below), you are affected by four provisions under the 1998 Regulations.

These are:

weekly working time, which must not exceed an average of 48 hours per week over the reference period (although individuals can ‘opt out’ of this requirement if they want to)an entitlement to 5.6 weeks’ paid annual leavehealth checks for night workersan entitlement to adequate rest

Adequate rest

Adequate rest means that workers should have regular rest periods. These rest periods should be sufficiently long and continuous to ensure that workers do not harm themselves, fellow workers or others and that they do not damage their health in the short or long term.

Of course the boss will tell you that the 20 minutes transhipping milk at a reload point is 'adequate ’ rest… just put it on break.

(Edited for clarity)

Exactly, it pretty much doesn’t apply like I said!

the nodding donkey:

Kerragy:

So realistically are they all tacho, because at the end of the shift how would you get from dairy to depot after last run?

Freight Dog:

the nodding donkey:

Kerragy:

So realistically are they all tacho, because at the end of the shift how would you get from dairy to depot after last run?

I don’t think moving the truck between the depot and the farms/dairy, without carrying milk as the main purpose of the journey, is a big problem. But moving milk, as the main purpose, other than from the farm to the dairy/cheese factory/processing plant would be.

Realistically I suspect they are all now tacho , all the trucks I drove since 2004 were (5 different companies), apart from maybe some older, smaller, bulkers that would only be used for farm collection only.

Gregorys farm collection tankers operate under GB regs but record their hours on tacho. Or they certainly did 12 months ago, I haven’t discussed it with people I know working on the job recently.

As I understand it the next shift may use the wagon to run a load to a dairy with a drag under EU rules, so it is easier to use the tacho for both the GB & EU regs shifts.

stevieboy308:

the nodding donkey:

stevieboy308:

paul2316:

These are:

Adequate rest

(Edited for clarity)

Exactly, it pretty much doesn’t apply like I said!

If one is stupid enough to bring ones own lube.