Middlesbrough hauliers

tommy2:
I remember Parkway Haulage well, when i started with them they ran a Guy,volvo F86 and F88 from Bolcow Road (then itwas just a bit of land with a portakabin and just a water pipe and tap out of the ground).When a second F88 was bought it was given to me.
We did a lot of work for Chevron Oil running from Thornaby to Aberdeen (meeting the supply boats at Mathews Quay). I was given the first new MAN to arrive ,other MANs arrived also a Transcontinental,AEC rigid (ex forces) and lastly an ERF.
Myself and Big Geoff (who had the Transcontinental)were the first drivers to go abroad, that was to Italy (Milan) with loads of pipes in tilts rented from Renco(all tilts were hired from them).We had three freezer trailers with the Parkway name on but no tilts with the name.I got my long and wide load (and there were some wide loads) experience from Parkway and enjoyed the job with a great bunch of lads.
And not forgetting Al who kept the fleet running(I dont know anybody who worked the hours and as hard as him.)
Ex driver Tommy 2.

Hi Tommy, I have just found your post about Parkway, I am Gary, the school lad who worked there. I have put on a post of some of my memories. You took me to Aberdeen and I also went to the south coast in the F88 when you had a bad neck. Great times and great people (when Al started seeing Sandra, he would set me work to do then he would take Sandra out and return at around midnight and start working again, so maybe I did work more hours than him, LOL) Great to hear from you.

chaversdad:

joeshell:
T A Bulmer
R Milburn
Stockton Haulage
Ben Homan
Rankins
W J Riding
A Stevens
A V Dawson
Richardson
Lintzgarth
and a load more i cant recall !!

out of that list theres only 2 that are still on the go, Richardsons and Dawsons

I remember my father driving for Ben Homan donkeys years ago.

A E Evans of Barking and Sheffield ran five AEC MK3 Mammoth Majors out of Dorman Long(BSC) Chemicals at Port Clarence int 60s and early 70s. I did a week of holiday relief up there from Sheffield in 1969,loading crude benzene out of Redcar,South Bank,Cleveland,Hartlepool,Consett and Evenwood,which I think was known as Randolph. The traffic manager was called Ivor and at dinnertime he would give you an Evenwood to load and then tip next day,getting the opportunity to park up at Scotch Corner early and have a dodgy.Rankins were running in and out of Port Clarence as well,on the tar side.
The place was falling down when I was there and I believe it was closed mid 70s.

Chris Webb:
A E Evans of Barking and Sheffield ran five AEC MK3 Mammoth Majors out of Dorman Long(BSC) Chemicals at Port Clarence int 60s and early 70s. I did a week of holiday relief up there from Sheffield in 1969,loading crude benzene out of Redcar,South Bank,Cleveland,Hartlepool,Consett and Evenwood,which I think was known as Randolph. The traffic manager was called Ivor and at dinnertime he would give you an Evenwood to load and then tip next day,getting the opportunity to park up at Scotch Corner early and have a dodgy.Rankins were running in and out of Port Clarence as well,on the tar side.
The place was falling down when I was there and I believe it was closed mid 70s.

The coke plant at Evenwood was better known as Randolph but I haven’t got a clue why. We would get the odd load of coke from there for our domestic business. Somewhere in the Paul Gee thread there is a photo of an artic tipper belonging to John Stirk of Staindrop who did a lot of the tipper work from the plant. There was also Randolph Coachworks a commercial body builder based there. They built a lot of tipper bodies and always had a stand at Tipcon at Harrogate.
Tyneside

tyneside:

Chris Webb:

The coke plant at Evenwood was better known as Randolph but I haven’t got a clue why. We would get the odd load of coke from there for our domestic business. Somewhere in the Paul Gee thread there is a photo of an artic tipper belonging to John Stirk of Staindrop who did a lot of the tipper work from the plant. There was also Randolph Coachworks a commercial body builder based there. They built a lot of tipper bodies and always had a stand at Tipcon at Harrogate.
Tyneside

I think the pit at Evenwood was known as “The Randolph” colliery, named after the owners.

Some more Middlesbrough based haulage companies from the NA3T website so NMP.
Richardsons

JLC00247-01.jpg

Well freighted Cargo with long load of steel!

JLC00240-06.jpg

Bulkhaul ERF.

JLC00243-05.jpg

Regarding A V Dawson,there is a car parked near where I live with an A V Dawson sticker in the windscreen.I was interested in this because I once backloaded off them late 60s for Sheffield. I now see they are involved in the Port of Middlesborough,so they have been going a long time.
Also are RAH Transporters ok to be mentioned on this thread or is Darlington too far out? :smiley:
In 1994 I went back onto tankers for a few months and had to load crude benzene out of South Bank for Llanwern.I’d been in there years before,late 60s but the area had changed so much and I had driven past Lackenby,so decided to turn round somewhere and ask directions.This I did and pulled up outside a row of shops,and a bloke with an alsatian were approaching me.He asked me if I were lost and before I could answer the zb dog bit me on the left thigh. A woman came out of one of the shops and played hell with this bloke,so he must have been known to have a dangerous canine,all I could think of was how long it was since a tetanus injection.Then another bloke turned up and told me that tankers for South Bank weighed in and out at Lackenby,and I was to go there and ask to use their medical centre,which I did.I parked wagon on car park opposite weighbridge office,into med centre,got a jab and then away to load.I can remember my left leg beginning to ache somewhere around Thirsk on me way back to Sheffield. :laughing:

Anyone got any Crossleys pics ■■?

backsplice:

Hi backsplice

I take it you mean the Crossleys that were the builders merchants? I don’t have any photo’s of Crossleys own lorries but a picture came up on Paul Gee’s thread awhile back of a Crossley liveried SA400 which i think is actually a Teesside Carriers lorry under contract.

A04013p.JPG

Chris Webb:
Regarding A V Dawson,there is a car parked near where I live with an A V Dawson sticker in the windscreen.I was interested in this because I once backloaded off them late 60s for Sheffield. I now see they are involved in the Port of Middlesborough,so they have been going a long time.
Also are RAH Transporters ok to be mentioned on this thread or is Darlington too far out?
In 1994 I went back onto tankers for a few months and had to load crude benzene out of South Bank for Llanwern.I’d been in there years before,late 60s but the area had changed so much and I had driven past Lackenby,so decided to turn round somewhere and ask directions.This I did and pulled up outside a row of shops,and a bloke with an alsatian were approaching me.He asked me if I were lost and before I could answer the zb dog bit me on the left thigh. A woman came out of one of the shops and played hell with this bloke,so he must have been known to have a dangerous canine,all I could think of was how long it was since a tetanus injection.Then another bloke turned up and told me that tankers for South Bank weighed in and out at Lackenby,and I was to go there and ask to use their medical centre,which I did.I parked wagon on car park opposite weighbridge office,into med centre,got a jab and then away to load.I can remember my left leg beginning to ache somewhere around Thirsk on me way back to Sheffield. :laughing:

No problem at all about mention of RAH another haulier now no more they tended to do a lot of long steel out of Lackenby along with others from Darlington such as Spinks Interfreight and Lintzgarths.
My uncle had his first proper HGV drive for AV Dawson in the sixties 6 and 8 wheel Atkinsons. They are as you say now involved with trade on the Tees and have most of the south area of the Tees in Middlesbrough they took over the Redpath Dinsdale offshore fabrication yard and have a lot of where some of the old steel and other works were on 40 foot road as it’s known, you will probably delivered or got picked up from there for a dodgy sometime
:smiley:

I had a regular job loading from Urlay ■■■■ and got to know a lot of Freighthire drivers, not many pictures but a lovely job, it was two ton a minute to load and they had an alarm clock on the loading spout. 11 minutes, 22 tonne on an F7.

Freighthire.JPG

jshepguis:

Chris Webb:
Also are RAH Transporters ok to be mentioned on this thread or is Darlington too far out?

No problem at all about mention of RAH another haulier now no more they tended to do a lot of long steel out of Lackenby along with others from Darlington such as Spinks Interfreight and Lintzgarths.
My uncle had his first proper HGV drive for AV Dawson in the sixties 6 and 8 wheel Atkinsons. They are as you say now involved with trade on the Tees and have most of the south area of the Tees in Middlesbrough they took over the Redpath Dinsdale offshore fabrication yard and have a lot of where some of the old steel and other works were on 40 foot road as it’s known, you will probably delivered or got picked up from there for a dodgy sometime
:smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: No,never had a dodgy from M’boro but I did from just below Thirsk,there was and still is a filling station on n/b A168 and quite a few drivers parked round back of it.I were loaded out of ICI North Tees with methanol for Heysham so A61/A59 Blubberhouses was my route via Ripon. It was easy to get a lift to Sheffield from there,I was way in front of myself deliverywise. I live in Thirsk now and still smile when iIpass that garage and also the cafe at Knayton.

jshepguiscksplice:

backsplice:

Hi backsplice

I take it you mean the Crossleys that were the builders merchants? I don’t have any photo’s of Crossleys own lorries but a picture came up on Paul Gee’s thread awhile back of a Crossley liveried SA400 which i think is actually a Teesside Carriers lorry under contract.

Thanks for that jshepguis… I was hoping for something a bit earlier but thats a good one …I believe they were incorporated with teeside carriers somewhere along the line ■■? anyway thanks again

Wheel Nut:
I had a regular job loading from Urlay ■■■■ and got to know a lot of Freighthire drivers, not many pictures but a lovely job, it was two ton a minute to load and they had an alarm clock on the loading spout. 11 minutes, 22 tonne on an F7.

Hi Wheelnut yes i remember British Chrome and Chemicals at Urlay ■■■■ used to load out of there when i used to go with my father who drove for Arthur Sandersons it was usually loaded drums which was all handball on, or bags on pallets then rope and sheet, canteen was ok also . This was in the 70’s and abiding memory of the place was if it was dry then there was green dust all over, and when wet it was a green quagmire!! And although the smell wasn’t bad you knew where you were!
They had their own lorries in a green colour scheme obviously, tend to think they were mostly Atkinsons.

Jentone Freight, this was a couple of years ago, driver is my good friend Gil Carlisle, he’s 73 now. He has been working part time for a while now, but he’s back on five days at the moment due to volume of work.

IMG_20181230_090554.jpg

Hi Kev, Classic stuff there, Keep them rolling & stay safe, Regards Larry.

Thanks for Carlisle pictures Kev remember them well. Here’s a couple of David Fox Transport once again from the NA3T website.

JSc01097-03.jpg

JLC00342-18.jpg

backsplice:

jshepguiscksplice:

backsplice:

Hi backsplice

Thanks for that jshepguis… I was hoping for something a bit earlier but thats a good one …I believe they were incorporated with teeside carriers somewhere along the line ■■? anyway thanks again

Here’s an old Crossleys photo, it’s not mine and to honest I can’t remember where I found it! They did become Teesside Carriers when Crossleys packed up as a builders merchant (I think)

You are correct in saying Teeside Carriers took Crossleys over, IIRC Crossleys had a brick yard at Birtley, Which in later years became a landfill site operated by Hargreaves, Regards Larry.

Wheel Nut:

Hi “Wheel Nut”, I used to deliver bagged stuff from the I C I Winnington Works Norwich into a firm called Associated Crome Chemicals at Urlay ■■■■ in the 60s, Could this be the same firm I wonder :question: :question: Regards Larry.