Middle East - Not Astran!

Les Sylphides:
Classic fuel-blow-through picture from the Astran Middle-East Facebook site: :sunglasses:

Well I’ll be blowed!! I took that picture on 10th December 1995 in Londra Camping in Istanbul. I was blowing cherry out of the belly tank under my tilt. The unit was a Y-reg Scanny 112 and the tilt was RJ 125, the last of their 40 footers. Here’s a picture I took at Londra on that same trip.

ERF-NGC-European:

Les Sylphides:
Classic fuel-blow-through picture from the Astran Middle-East Facebook site: :sunglasses:

Well I’ll be blowed!! I took that picture on 10th December 1995 in Londra Camping in Istanbul. I was blowing cherry out of the belly tank under my tilt. The unit was a Y-reg Scanny 112 and the tilt was RJ 125, the last of their 40 footers. Here’s a picture I took at Londra on that same trip.

Nice to match a story to the picture.

Off FB apparently. Scenes like this still excite me after all these years! It appears to be in Turkey judging by the minaret style and the tonka parked beside the F88.

ro

325927027_867956014257382_5965747190894622596_n.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
Off FB apparently. Scenes like this still excite me after all these years! It appears to be in Turkey judging by the minaret style and the tonka parked beside the F88.

ro

The famous E5 highway of the 80s, BOLU - YENIÇAĞA

Birdie4x4:

ERF-NGC-European:

ro

The famous E5 highway of the 80s, BOLU - YENIÇAĞA

Ah! That was the old road through Gerede. The motorway bypasses it now.

It also looks like the motorway bypasses the coast road, from Kavala in Greece to the Turkish border at Ipsala.

CHRISTINE AND TONY GIBBONS, ASPROVALTA GREECE..jpg

earth.google.com/web/search/Asp … V09zWkEQAg

KAVALA, GREECE. 1980.

And here it is today on Google Earth.
earth.google.com/web/search/Asp … bVBPT3cQAg

mushroomman:
It also looks like the motorway bypasses the coast road, from Kavala in Greece to the Turkish border at Ipsala.

earth.google.com/web/search/Asp … V09zWkEQAg

KAVALA, GREECE. 1980.

Yes. We used to have to drive through those ancient arches. Here’s a pic I took through the windscreen of the Scania 112 I was driving back from Turkey in '95. You can see the arches ahead.

I posted these in the Carl Williams thread about Telex, but I think they make more sense here.
Telex messages - great when it worked !!

Having connection problems at the Harum in Istanbul

Getting Agents contact details at The International Hotel Tabriz

Trans-shipping onto local transport. But which border is this? Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan? Almost certainly India or China in those days, as those were the difficult countries to get into! Tho’ the style of the local lorries does suggest Pakistan, I have to say!

It’s the Torkham Afghan/■■■■ Border, Pakistan side.

At 5mins 50 in this old super 8, posted here before I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23g3tzmOMPE

whisperingsmith:
It’s the Torkham Afghan/[zb] Border, Pakistan side.

At 5mins 50 in this old super 8, posted here before I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23g3tzmOMPE

Many thanks for answering my question and for pudding, supplying such a lovely film clip. Soundtrack refreshingly authentic too!

Les

English, Iranian, Turkish, Turkish:

Les Sylphides:
English, Iranian, Turkish, Turkish:

That photo must have been taken in the layby, on the old road, opposite the customs compound at Aosta in Italy.

earth.google.com/web/search/Aos … Z1T1dKdxAC

I took this photo sometime in the eighties in the same layby, next to the airfield. The strange thing was that I also saw this Volvo at the Turkish/ Iraq border on New Years Eve 1983. As it had just come out of Iraq, I always wondered where he had been at that time of the year.

Top one’s in Istanbul by the look of it, boarding the ferry across the Bosphorous before the '73 bridge was finished:

How unlike a British haulier to send a day cab on ME work ,unless they are owner drivers chasing the money.
The Drivers of the FIATS had look as they could be subbies for Transcontinental

Anyone remember Khaybar ■■
Going south from Tayma about halfway to Medina, there was a fair number of scraggy Palm trees & a glistening of water on the right before you reached what looked like an abandoned habitation with a right-hander just as you approached??

Once upon a time we took such things for granted, but more recently I decided to check it out & found it that before the advent of Islam in the 7th century CE, indigenous Arabs and Jews made up the population of Khaybar, but when Jewish settlement in northern Arabia began is unknown.
In 567, Khaybar was invaded and purged of its Jewish inhabitants by the Ghassanid Arab Christian king Al-Harith ibn Jabalah.

We just trucked - totally spaced out - aware but not quite realising what amazing places we were driving through.

Khaybar Khaybar - Wikipedia

In the previous post, I mentioned we just trucked - totally spaced out.

True for so many of us, we had good music, most of us had good motors and once in Saudi total freedom.

Not a fence or barrier for 000’s of miles, go where you want as long as you can work out what sand you can drive & park on and what will bog you down & fark you up.

You could do whatever you wanted as long as it harmed no one else - but if you harmed someone else - you would be well [ZB]ed.

Not a bad way to run society, if we had that here people would be more reluctant to engage in activities that might harm others