Middle East - Not Astran!

None of these are my pictures but they are Redcliff’s who I used to work for back in the 70s.

This looks like the layby most of us stopped in after the climb up from Iskenderun through Belen to the top near Kici.

Me parked up in the same layby I refered to in the previous post, 1976/7

A view from the layby showing the road in the distance heading toward Syria, NMP its a bit clearer than the picture I have.

mushroomman:
You weren’t driving for Matrix Churchill at the time were you Ro. :unamused:

After I had paid a visit to The Blue Mosque, I thought that it would have been rude not to call into The Pudding Shop. It suddenly came back to me the number of times that I had heard British drivers all those years ago, asking for a plate of ‘Elephants Leg’ and chips, and I ordered a couple of draught Efes, just for nostalgia purposes of course.

I had a bit of a conversation with one of the waiters and mentioned that the last time that I was in there was in 1987. I asked him did they still have those Pudding Shop car stickers. He told me that he had only worked there for thirty years, and he sent one of the young waiters into the back of the shop to try and find me a sticker. After about five minutes the young lad returned and gave me this sticker and a Pudding Shop post card.

From there I walked round to The Grand Bazaar, which you will all know used to be the old Sultans stables. That too has had a massive makeover and to me, it seems to have lost all of its old-world atmosphere and character. :cry:

Wife and I visited instanbul on a cruise ship, last time was coming home from Tehran, I showed her the pudding shop & bazaar memories of the past, opposite is the underground water reservoir complete with huge carp swimming around.

DIG:
It must have been a bit boring coming to Oz Mushroomman driving from say Brisbane to Perth probly about the same distance but no where near the culture and sights seen as these. Thanks for sharing with ENE.
Cheers Dig

Good Morning Dig, I have been meaning to ask you this question for some time now, have you read a book called ‘Baghdad Trucker’ by Kevin Noble.

I thought that it was very good, and I think that one of the bits that might interest you is when Kevin arrives in Perth W.A. and ends up working around Port Headland and Dampier. It’s been a few years since I read it, but I think that he ended up in digs somewhere around Subiaco.

Many years ago, here on Trucknet, we were discussing the ridiculous amounts of money that a first edition copy of ‘Cola Cowboys’ was fetching on E-Bay. I walked down to our local library and surprise, surprise, they had a copy of it there, although it was in large print.
I asked the librarian if she had a copy of ‘Danger Heavy Goods’ or ‘Juggernaut’ by Robert Hutchinson and after looking on her computer, she told me that they had one copy which was in the library at Canberra. A week later she phoned me and told me that the book had arrived, I went down to pick it up and was told that because it had come from Canberra, it was not to taken away from the local library so I would have to read it all in there, I declined the offer.

I am certain that you have seen a few of these in W.A.

Zacho.

Zacho, Iraq/Turkish Border.

Bulgaria, somewhere near Suhindal.

The same Bulgarian Bridge taken from Google Earth about 34 year later.

A bit of nostalgia, I used to take my son with me from about age 2.

He loved the Syrian Buses which he called ‘Clown Buses’ - sums them up pretty well

NMP:
clown_bus.jpg

robthedog:

I notice ‘The Scud’ parked aft. The Scud was an Astran subbie’s LHD Scammell S26 run by an owner-driver called Bob Pogianni (if that spelling is right).

the scud good pic.jpg

This Swedish outfit tells the world what work it’s on!

s-cvbl500.png

robthedog:

Is the Merc one of Dodds Browns?

Doing ‘internals’ was clearly not always a picnic!

Les Sylphides:

Well I’ve never seen an F89 with a 290 round air stack on before.

Birdie4x4:

Les Sylphides:

It’s a LHD F88.

jshepguis:

Birdie4x4:

Les Sylphides:

It’s a LHD F88.

That’s even rarer, I have never heard of or seen a LHD 290, the uk 290 rhd had the round air stack on the passenger side and the continental lhd small grill F88 240(260) and the F89 large grill had the oblong air stack on the passenger side. Also the F88 large grill stood out more than the F89 and that looks like the slim F89 grill to me.
Never mind though, it’s the first I’ve seen.

Birdie4x4:

jshepguis:

Birdie4x4:

Les Sylphides:

It’s a LHD F88.

That’s even rarer, I have never heard of or seen a LHD 290, the uk 290 rhd had the round air stack on the passenger side and the continental lhd small grill F88 240(260) and the F89 large grill had the oblong air stack on the passenger side. Also the F88 large grill stood out more than the F89 and that looks like the slim F89 grill to me.
Never mind though, it’s the first I’ve seen.

Enlarging the photo shows,I think an F89 badge on the door IINM!

David

Looking at the bottom of the air stack, it’s not a genuine Volvo part at all, just been ‘adapted’ with something from the spares box, maybe a bigger, more accessible filter.

Cheers all,

Keith