Middle East - Not Astran!

driveress:
Ahhh, that explains your excellent mosque spotting capabilities :slight_smile: A fellow yabancı? Or a yerli? Where did you live, when were you there and who did you drive for, ERF-NGC-European?

Yes a fellow yabanci (excuse the dotted ‘i’!). My relationship with Istanbul was a bit varied to be honest. I first visited it as tourist during the heavy snowstorms of early ’85. I then drove through it with an artic a couple of times a few years later. Then in ‘97/8 I taught at a secondary school there and lived in Atakoy. Later I drove through Istanbul with lorries again when I was on Middle-East work. It was so much more earthy and mysterious four decades ago than it is today (much more sanitised now).

I always thought his name was spelt Taji.

As regards the Cannakalle bridge. That will only affect traffic towards Izmir. Those heading east towards Tehran or south to Syria and Iraq would still proceed via Istanbul and Ankara.

Great pics mushroomman and happy I was able to help with the location of one of them. :slight_smile: Which year were they taken? As ERF-NGC-European says, Istanbul has changed beyond all recognition.

I wonder if Tachi’s/Taji’s actual name was Tacettin with a ^ above the a - Taah-jeh-tin, shortened to Taci. The c in Turkish is a j sound which would explain the various anglicised versions with a j in, and to the English eye Taci reads the same as Taki which would explain the ch versions. He obviously got called all sorts and didn’t seem to mind too much! There is a j in the Turkish alphabet but it is only used in Armenian names and loan words from French, of which there are many in Turkish, like jeton and of course, as I’m sure you know, şöför and kamyon :slight_smile:

driveress:
Great pics mushroomman and happy I was able to help with the location of one of them. :slight_smile: Which year were they taken? As ERF-NGC-European says, Istanbul has changed beyond all recognition.

I wonder if Tachi’s/Taji’s actual name was Tacettin with a ^ above the a - Taah-jeh-tin, shortened to Taci. The c in Turkish is a j sound which would explain the various anglicised versions with a j in, and to the English eye Taci reads the same as Taki which would explain the ch versions. He obviously got called all sorts and didn’t seem to mind too much! There is a j in the Turkish alphabet but it is only used in Armenian names and loan words from French, of which there are many in Turkish, like jeton and of course, as I’m sure you know, şöför and kamyon :slight_smile:

Good point. And a lot of technical, architectural and automotive vocab was ‘borrowed’ from the French towards the end of the Belle Epoch. Direksiyon for steering-wheel springs to mind!

driveress:

I certainly agree with that statement, even though it was some 35 years ago that I last visited Turkey, I have struggled to find some of the old places that I visited on Google Earth.

As far as I can remember, Taji Kochman’s office was in narrow street next to the cruise terminal. As you came out of the office block that he was in and you turned to the right and walked about fifty yards down the street, you came to the main entrance of the cruise terminal which was on your left. As you walked in, there was a barrier where the police would ask to see your passport. Then you walked into a large hall where there was a duty free shop where you could buy souvenirs and other things so long as you paid for it with a foreign currency. Then you could just walk back out into the street again.

I have been trying to find that street for a while now but as there is so much gentrification taking place in the area I haven’t been able to find it, until today.

It looks like that fine old building where Taci once had his office has now been turned into a Marriott Hotel and if you look at the view from one of the hotel windows, it looks like the same spot where I took my photo in June 1980.

Click on the photo where it says ‘next’.
marriott.com/en-us/hotels/i … YnNpdGU%3D

If you enlarge my photo and look at it very carefully on the left hand side, you may be able to pick up what looks like a large rusty ship.
This ship was called the M.T. Independenta which was a bulk oil supertanker and it was involved in a collision with another ship early one morning. It caught fire and burnt for many days before they could get it under control. My photo was taken seven months after the fire and I can remember that ship being in the same position for many months later.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MT_Independen%C8%9Ba

The area showing The Marriott Hotel today, which I think was the building where Taci’s office used to be.

earth.google.com/web/@41.024064 … bWpOa2cQAg

Nice set of PIE pics of M/E work on this link:

youtube.com/watch?v=93AbIlet1_k

A Topical Easter Story.

Back in the Mid 70s I had the contract for the Electrical Contractors on the new Jeddah Airport.
1st trip in 1974 I took the site furniture and necessities to set up the site offices.

A few trips later I had one of the regular mixed loads for them that included a crate of books for the site primary school.

Having been one of the first across the Halat Amar border I usually sailed through, although with the usual delay of a few days.

On this occasion the customs ‘Librarian’ insisted on seeing the crate of books, which fortunately were on the back of the trailer and easily lifted off with a forklift and taken to his office.

His office was a long shed with a suitably long Persian Carpet to fit, as was typical in Saudi he sat at a desk at the far end and the supplicants would take their turn to plead, beg, smile etc… to get his approval.

With the crate duly delivered he called to me: "Mr Geoff, please show me one of the books" so crowbar in hand off came the lid to expose a consignment of Illustrated Bibles - “Oh ■■■■■ I thought” - but undeterred I picked one up and on my way to his desk quickly thumbed through and found in the inside cover a picture of the Last Supper - which most Sunday School sufferers would recognise!!

As I reached the desk I smiled at him and said, “Not sure what the books are about but the picture looks like a group of Arabs sharing a meal” he smiled back knowingly and replied “Tamam, looks like that to me too, all OK good to go”

Phew !!!

OgIP.jpg

Anyone notice the Russian Trucks going into Ukraine look just like the Soviet Era trucks we saw in the Eastern Bloc during the 1970s ■■

ruski_camion_nicht_goot.jpg

They’re updated Mazs I think. At least they’re using better paint by the looks of it!

As we celebrate the Platinum Jubilee does anyone remember being away on the middle east for the Silver Jubilee, while my mates were enjoying themselves I was away somewhere very hot driving all hours, it looks like my passport was stamped at Cilvegozu on the 6th June (Haziran) 77 not sure whether I was on my way down or coming home.

Birdie4x4:
As we celebrate the Platinum Jubilee does anyone remember being away on the middle east for the Silver Jubilee, while my mates were enjoying themselves I was away somewhere very hot driving all hours, it looks like my passport was stamped at Cilvegozu on the 6th June (Haziran) 77 not sure whether I was on my way down or coming home.

Only in spirit! I was teaching in '77 but IIRC that was the year BBC The World About Us screened Destination Doha, which rather fired me up about the M/E run (which I did later on). :smiley:

mushroomman:

driveress:

I certainly agree with that statement, even though it was some 35 years ago that I last visited Turkey, I have struggled to find some of the old places that I visited on Google Earth.

As far as I can remember, Taji Kochman’s office was in narrow street next to the cruise terminal. As you came out of the office block that he was in and you turned to the right and walked about fifty yards down the street, you came to the main entrance of the cruise terminal which was on your left. As you walked in, there was a barrier where the police would ask to see your passport. Then you walked into a large hall where there was a duty free shop where you could buy souvenirs and other things so long as you paid for it with a foreign currency. Then you could just walk back out into the street again.

I have been trying to find that street for a while now but as there is so much gentrification taking place in the area I haven’t been able to find it, until today.

It looks like that fine old building where Taci once had his office has now been turned into a Marriott Hotel and if you look at the view from one of the hotel windows, it looks like the same spot where I took my photo in June 1980.

Click on the photo where it says ‘next’.
marriott.com/en-us/hotels/i … YnNpdGU%3D

If you enlarge my photo and look at it very carefully on the left hand side, you may be able to pick up what looks like a large rusty ship.
This ship was called the M.T. Independenta which was a bulk oil supertanker and it was involved in a collision with another ship early one morning. It caught fire and burnt for many days before they could get it under control. My photo was taken seven months after the fire and I can remember that ship being in the same position for many months later.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MT_Independen%C8%9Ba

The area showing The Marriott Hotel today, which I think was the building where Taci’s office used to be.

earth.google.com/web/@41.024064 … bWpOa2cQAg

Hi again mushroomman

I’ve been meaning to post for ages but I’ve been busy passing my class 2 and getting started :smiley: I spent a good bit of time looking at your links, with nostalgia for Karaköy. It’s been gentrified out of all recognition in recent years and the cruise terminal completely rebuilt, although I think it is just a local ferry terminal and the cruises stop further up the Bosporus now. The old one was historical and pulling it down caused some controversy. I wanted to ask you what Taci Kochman’s role was and why you used to go to his office, and where on earth did you park?? I’d be interested to read a summary of how it all used to work, and also what loads were you transporting?

As an aside, me and my other half get excited when we see Turkish plates here. Is it customary to send two trucks together? Recently we saw two identical ADR tanker Hatay (31 - same location as Cilvegözü) plates on the M25 driving in convoy and I was parked up at Cornwall Services on the A30 the other day and saw two Erhanlar İzmir (35) plate artics parked next to each other.

Birdie4x4, your old passport, I’m sure like all on this thread, is a thing of beauty! I was 4 in 1977 and the silver jubilee is one of my first memories :slight_smile:

Hi driveress, congratulations on passing your H.G.V. class two and I am sure that everybody on the Old Timers Forum will wish you the best of luck for the future.

Taci was an import and export agent that we used to use most of the time when we were delivering around Istanbul. Although I can remember on one trip when I had a couple of tons for Istanbul and the rest of the load was for Izmir. Taci sent his brother-in-law Saladin, who also worked for him, along with me to sort out the paperwork. When we were offloaded in Izmir, we drove to Canakkale where I got the ferry across to Gallipoli and I am not sure if Saladin got the bus or a boat back to Istanbul.
Whenever we entered Turkey from Bulgaria at Kapikule, most of the British drivers used an agent called Young Turk. More often than not, no sooner had you pulled into the compound then one of Young Turks boys would introduce himself and ask for your passport, T.I.R. carnet, your manifest, C.M.R. and your Trip Tics for your truck and trailer.
Most of these kids were under sixteen years old but we trusted them and many of them could tell you the exchange rate for the Turk Lire to the G.B. pound, Deutsch Mark or the American Dollar for that day. They would sometimes get The Chai man, who walked around the compound with a small hot water tank on his back, to give you a glass of tea while they ran over to Young Turks office to start lodging your paperwork.
We would then stroll over to Young Turks office to be greeted with another glass of chai (along with a load of sugar lumps) where Young Turk would then give us an idea of how many hours we would likely have to wait until we were called for an inspection.
You could clear yourself, which we often did when we were leaving Turkey empty or if we were using the Greek/Turkish border at Evzoni. But when you didn’t use an agent, you would often hear the words “big problema mister”, which meant that you could be parting with a lot of cash.
In Young Turks office you could always send a Telex or make a phone call back to the U.K. I don’t think that they charged more than £ 7 for their services and it saved us from all the pushing and shoving to try and get to the front of the queues.

Young Turks office was on the right.

If we were tipping in Istanbul then we would phone Taci who would already be expecting us. He would arrange for one of his staff to meet us at the Besiktas football stadium car park at 8 a.m. the following morning. One of his employees would take all our paperwork from us and take it to the customs office which was nearby. At about midday the agent and the customs men would all turn up. They would take off the seal on the back of the trailer which had been fitted at Kapikule/ Evzoni after the inspection.
One of the customs men would look in the back of the trailer and usually after a few minutes, the paperwork would be completed and the trailer would be resealed. The agent would sometimes come with us if we hadn’t been to the offloading point before and then get a taxi back to Taci’s office. If it was a nice day, I would often walk to Taci office along the sea front as the whole place had such a pleasant feeling about it. The sights, sounds and smells of what seemed like a hectic Istanbul stayed with me for many years.

The Stadium.

If we were tipping on the Asian side of the Bosporus then we would park at The Harem on the car park by the quayside. We would either cross the Bosporus Bridge the day before or if I had parked at the Londra Camp the previous night, then we would set off early in the morning before the rush hour traffic started to build up.
Taci’s lads would come across on the ferry to The Harem and meet us at 8 a.m. to do the customs paperwork. Once again, the customs men would always turn up just before midday.

Parking for trucks by The Harem.

Ferry Across The Bosporus.

Taci’s office was in the building behind the white ship.

As many of Dow’s customers were companies like Rothman cigarettes, I.C.I. Courtaulds, Ford’s, Leyland and Perkins it was very important that all the paperwork had to be in order. One small mistake could sometimes put an extra day or even longer onto your trip.
At one time, a lot of the work seemed to be going to Turkey so it wasn’t unusual to have three or four trucks leaving the yard in Stockport on a Sunday morning heading towards Istanbul, Izmir or Ankara.

On my first trip in June 1980, there were seven of us who ran together taking a drilling rig to an oilfield east of Diyarbakir. The site, which was like being somewhere in the middle of nowhere was run by some American guys working for The Aladdin Oil Company.
Another job that I remember was when we had to deliver over thirty mobile buildings to an American Air Force Base in Sinop on The Black Sea coast. They loaded three trucks a day onto extendable Broshous trombone trailers and we all set off in threes.
By the time that we were half way through Czechoslovakia, we had caught up with the three trucks who had loaded the day before us. When we were at Kapikule we caught up with another six of the trucks.

Army ■■■■■■ to Sinop.

I hope this answers some of your queries.

B.T.W.
I was looking through some of my old passports to see where I was during the Queens Silver Jubilee and on the next page it shows the Turkish stamp for my first trip.
I remember that we were waiting in the queue on the Bulgarian side of Kapikule when, I not sure if it was a Dutchman or a British driver on his way home, told us that The Zenobia had sunk on its way to Syria.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Zenobia

Adana to Dover - but not in one ‘hit’!

Must have been a big fleet 'cos the Turkish main routes were full of them.

This site really needs a like button.

Birdie4x4:
This site really needs a like button.