Middle East - Not Astran!

Looks like one of Archibolds heading over Tarsus. NMP

Jacksons heading over Tarsus, can’t remember ever seeing one of these on my trips.

Think the Jackson daf was driven by the author of the “silk road and beyond book” Ivor Whittall,

Great book with plenty of pics of the daf.

Steve

Just out of interest does anyone still run overland to the middle east

Olins Overland from 1977.

Click on pages twice to read.

Ah! Thank you Dean! I’ve had the first two pages of that Olin article for ages but I’ve never found the third one! Cheers. :sunglasses:

There used to be a chap that used to post regularly on here, i think it was Bestbooties ? and i seem to recall him saying a company had 3 Crusaders crash on one outward trip to the ME, looks like the same firm

A couple more of the road over Tarsus.

Suedehead:
0There used to be a chap that used to post regularly on here, i think it was Bestbooties ? and i seem to recall him saying a company had 3 Crusaders crash on one outward trip to the ME, looks like the same firm

He hasn’t crashed,he has stopped for a picknic(sat on a blanket to the right)!

David

5thwheel:

Suedehead:
0There used to be a chap that used to post regularly on here, i think it was Bestbooties ? and i seem to recall him saying a company had 3 Crusaders crash on one outward trip to the ME, looks like the same firm

He hasn’t crashed,he has stopped for a picknic(sat on a blanket to the right)!

David

Yea noticed that. Looks like a couple of kids skinning a dead goat :neutral_face:

Suedehead:
There used to be a chap that used to post regularly on here, i think it was Bestbooties ? and i seem to recall him saying a company had 3 Crusaders crash on one outward trip to the ME, looks like the same firm

Perhaps not: Olins Crusaders didn’t have red roofs; and they had IRAN / IRAQ on either side of the radiator grille. I think Ian Taylor took the pic you posted.

i899993.jpg

Fair comment, think it was Ian Taylor (Carmans) that took the pic. One pic of the Ollins Crusader has Reece on the signboard and its pulling a DOE trailer, like the one in the Ian Taylor pic.

Dubai Road Express, in its entirety:

youtube.com/watch?v=Apx36O6tqN4

I did not realise it had English dialogue.

Bandar Abbas Express, also in English:
youtube.com/watch?v=8pDPX3ptzJ8

Some bits are identical.

Another one, this time those Dutch Leyland Marathons:
youtube.com/watch?v=jtPkH6-1OQg
The second part is linked in the panel to the right of the film.

Karachi Express:

youtube.com/watch?v=JecRAEqJ0FM

Not in English. Think it’s Dutch.

[zb]
anorak:
Dubai Road Express, in its entirety:

youtube.com/watch?v=Apx36O6tqN4

I did not realise it had English dialogue.

Fantastic! You’re a star! This quite made my evening. I uncorked a bottle of decent red diesel and settled down to watch what turned out to be a really classic Middle-East trucking film - up there with Destination Doha - so thank you. :sunglasses:

[zb]
anorak:
Karachi Express:

youtube.com/watch?v=JecRAEqJ0FM

Not in English. Think it’s Dutch.

Ditto! Yes, Dutch but too quiet to understand. Excellent filming. Italian made.

classic long-haul scene: