Middle East - Not Astran!

bubbleman:
Hi Ro,heres RFX with an earlier owner,obviously not my pic.Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Nice one Marc! It had had a few edges knocked off it then!

DEANB:

Birdie4x4:
Well I have just trauled through all 22 pages and no mention of Redcliffe Roadways, so hereā€™s one of me and Malc Watson parked at the top of the long pull out of Iskenderun befor the steep winding road down towards Kirikhan and then the Syrian border at Cilvegazu. 1977
Steve

Couple of Redcliffeā€™s.

Hereā€™s a link to a picture and some info from 1975:

sandway:
Donā€™t know if this photo of a PLT Volvo in Orient Transport livery has been on here before but since "Jazzandyā€™ started this thread I thought it appropriate that the image be shown for all to see. However, as he doesnā€™t drop in here any more he wonā€™t know what heā€™s missing. Come back Andy.

Assuming this is the same company Orient Transport Services were still active in the ME in 2003:

Again assuming this is the same company, fast forward to September 2019 and they are shown as Disolved (voluntary liquidation) in Companies House (having been started/incorporated in March 1985):

Sad to see.

beegee:

DEANB:

Birdie4x4:
Well I have just trauled through all 22 pages and no mention of Redcliffe Roadways, so hereā€™s one of me and Malc Watson parked at the top of the long pull out of Iskenderun befor the steep winding road down towards Kirikhan and then the Syrian border at Cilvegazu. 1977
Steve

Couple of Redcliffeā€™s.

Hereā€™s a link to a picture and some info from 1975:

Redcliffe Roadways Ltd. | 5th September 1975 | The Commercial Motor Archive

Thanks for that link.
Steve

In 1979 in the first article below it seems Bill Wright of William Wright Transport Services from Scotland was having problems with complaints from some of the 24 owner-drivers heā€™d shipped to Jeddah with their vehicles.

As part of his defence he claims one driver has cleared Ā£2,000 from a week of 12 hour days, although he didnā€™t clarify if that driver was complaining or not.

The second article is from a few months earlier that gives some background about Bill Wright and William Wright Transport Services in Saudi and how they got some internal work for 16 owner-drivers.

The third link relates to the second article and a reference to a story called ā€œArabian Nightmareā€ about some owner ā€“drivers being conned/tricked/poorly advised into going to Saudi with their vehicles (not by Bill Wright I should add).

I havenā€™t found anything that confirms how they got on out there (the owner-drivers or Bill Wright).

(The digital translations are a bit iffy in places because the original documents werenā€™t scanned too well on the edges. Probably best read using the Zoom Page option)

Hereā€™s a niggling question for old hands who did a lot more Middle-East than me: did the big Swedish company, ASG, do M/E back in the '70s/'80s at all?

ERF-NGC-European:
Hereā€™s a niggling question for old hands who did a lot more Middle-East than me: did the big Swedish company, ASG, do M/E back in the '70s/'80s at all?

Hi Rodert. Happy hollidays. Short answer to question,Yes. But no big player ffom what i understand. Big player from sweden were vebe-trans and Jerre spedition.probebly missed someā€¦

Danne

Dirty Dan:

ERF-NGC-European:

Hi Rodert. Happy hollidays. Short answer to question,Yes. But no big player ffom what i understand. Big player from sweden were vebe-trans and Jerre spedition.probebly missed someā€¦

Danne

Many thanks Danne! And Happy Holidays to you too! :smiley:

Me and Malc Watson on our way down to the Middle East.

41.png

NMP

eddie snax:

Jazzandy:

Bill Kittā€™s F12 subbing for F.G.Hammond Intl. loaded with exhibition equipment for the Tehran International Trade Fair.

Thatā€™s a nice looking Volvo, I drove an A plate F12, for a couple off years, But if our lot mentioned somewhere to the East where its sandy, they meant Lowestoft :unamused:

To the purpose off this reply, I notice that the Volvo is a W reg, which Iā€™m confident in thinking makes it a 1980 registration, yet youā€™ve mentioned that the photo was taken on the way to the Tehran International Trade Fair, which would make that after the Iranian revolution. I didnā€™t realise that the Islamic Republic allowed such western people into there lands after the revolution. Wow I bet that was an eye opener. You lads really were at the sharp end off a very long and dangerous drive, thanks for sharing it with us :wink:

I drove a Bedford painted in FG Hammond colours for C.M. Burke XWF46T for a few years doing Iraq & Saudi

ERF-NGC-European:
NMP

That looks totally fit for purpose but why the TIR plate on the unit.
Was it anything to do with the amount of derv carried, ie in a catwalk tank ?

Suedehead:

ERF-NGC-European:
NMP

Some countries wanted a plate on the unit as well as the trailer. It was probably because they sealed the handle on the 5th wheel coupling. Turkey and Saudi were still sealing the 5th wheel when I was doing it, though no TIR-plate was any longer required on the unit. Ro

Would anyone be able to help a friend looking for a memory or even a photo of a painting on the side of YoungTurk customs agents building at Kapicule on the Turkish - Bulgarian border ? They believe it was of a Hicks transport [Newport] truck.
Thank you.

mechanic77:
Would anyone be able to help a friend looking for a memory or even a photo of a painting on the side of YoungTurk customs agents building at Kapicule on the Turkish - Bulgarian border ? They believe it was of a Hicks transport [Newport] truck.
Thank you.

Crikey Neil you havenā€™t been on here for ages !!

Daft questions that occur to retired long-haulers in the depths of lockdown in the gloom of a winters afternoon No.1:

Did any of you who did backloads from the Gulf (very rare!) bring back dates; and if so, were they ready boxed so you could bring them back in a tilt?

I used to do the European ā€˜Clearanceā€™ of Arab D9s for Sammi Sirrisi. Heā€™d send me bundles of D9s for return loads and I would use my ā€˜Haich M Customsā€™ stamp to ā€˜clearā€™ them, pocket money really but it helped the Arab agents, kept the job going and the boxes ticked - everyone happy.

I never really bothered to look at what the actual freight was, one of those: ā€˜If I Had My Time Againā€™ moments.
What I do remember was they were consigned to all over Northern Europe - that means UK as well!!

whisperingsmith:
I used to do the European ā€˜Clearanceā€™ of Arab D9s for Sammi Sirrisi. Heā€™d send me bundles of D9s for return loads and I would use my ā€˜Haich M Customsā€™ stamp to ā€˜clearā€™ them, pocket money really but it helped the Arab agents, kept the job going and the boxes ticked - everyone happy.

I never really bothered to look at what the actual freight was, one of those: ā€˜If I Had My Time Againā€™ moments.
What I do remember was they were consigned to all over Northern Europe - that means UK as well!!

I remember filling in a blanc TIR Carnet to get me home. I had a typewriter in the cab so that was the easy part. I had loaded out of Beirut with furniture from the embassy and was waiting to catch the ferry in Tartous. Had used arab paperwork to get there but my carnet was for use in europe. I had a Jordanian coin about an inch in diameter which I glued to the bottom of a torch battery. I then gave the coin a liberal coating of boot polish, yes Promotor men carried boot polish as well as a typewriter, well this one did and after applying the boot polish I ramped up every page and signed it with a squiggle. Got back to Koper where I presented the carnet. No probs at all. Sailed through customs into Italy and France and into Dover. Easy peesy as they say.

ERF-NGC-European:

Suedehead:

ERF-NGC-European:
NMP

Some countries wanted a plate on the unit as well as the trailer. It was probably because they sealed the handle on the 5th wheel coupling. Turkey and Saudi were still sealing the 5th wheel when I was doing it, though no TIR-plate was any longer required on the unit. Ro

What year was this roughly, I did my middle east work starting in 76 through to 78 most of my journeys took me through Saudi other than being the first British driver to get a transit visa through Iraq to Kuwait for 7 years in 77 and never had my fifth wheel sealed in Turkey or Saudi.
Steve

Birdie4x4:

ERF-NGC-European:

Suedehead:

ERF-NGC-European:
NMP

What year was this roughly, I did my middle east work starting in 76 through to 78 most of my journeys took me through Saudi other than being the first British driver to get a transit visa through Iraq to Kuwait for 7 years in 77 and never had my fifth wheel sealed in Turkey or Saudi.
Steve

A bit after your time then, being 2001/2. The first Turkey I did was in '95 but I canā€™t remember if the turntable was sealed on that trip.