Middle East - Not Astran!

m.a.n rules:

mushroomman:
And a very happy Easter to you Robert and all the other Trucknet members. :smiley:
I am now wondering if Freddie was one of those Pan Express guys at the border. I hope that he is O.K. as I haven’t noticed him on here for a while. :frowning:

B.T.W. Robert, if your search for Biffo’s postings you could read the rest of the thread, Last Out Of Iran. I am afraid that I am not Tech Savvy enough to put the link on here.

Regards Steve.

c’mon Robert sort it out please. great read.

I’ve tried! Perhaps Biffo’s story is on a host thread, as I can’t find one called Last Out of Iran. If you type any comination of Biffo Iran, or Last Out Of Iran, or even just Iran into the TNUK search system, all you get is this thread! I’ll keep ferretting though. Robert

found it , go into google write biffo last out of iran and a link for trucknet will come up. only 9 lines to finish the story off.hth.

Here you go:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=46919

Robert

robert1952:
Cheers! I wonder if those Dow Fodens with LHD had the 12-sp Foden 'box in them, of the 9-sp Fuller - just out of interest. Robert

Sorry Robert but I really can’t remember although at the back of my mind for some reason a Fuller Roadranger keeps popping up. :confused: I spent many happy hours over the years sat in the driving seat of Alan Morrey’s Foden while Alan cooked us a meal so on a very cold winters morning I was probably concentrating of the development of Alan’s fried Spam and Egg sandwiches. :smiley: If it’s any use then I remember that they only had one bunk which you could lift up and there was a decent size storage box underneath it.
One story that I would like to share with you is that Alan lived in Crewe and some of his relations worked at Fodens and E.R.F. in Sandbach. He used to drink in his local pub when he was at home which he shared with some of the mechanics from the Crewe railway sheds. When he got the Foden in 1979 which was the time that a lot of drivers were putting air horns on to their trucks he jokingly asked one of the lads if he could get him an air horn off one of the trains. A couple of weeks later when he was home he went into the pub and one of the lads said “I have got you one Alan, it’s in my boot”. Apparently it was a huge thing but the mechanic in the garage wouldn’t fit it for him saying that as soon as he used the horn all the air tanks would be become empty, the brakes would lock on and Alan would be catapulted through the windscreen. :laughing:
Now I mentioned this a few years ago on here and it seems that people did know other drivers who allegedly had train air horns fitted to their trucks with the help of an extra air tank that they fitted. So the question is did anybody else actually have one fitted themselves.

Just going back to an earlier post I wondered if Fred had been one of the Pan Express drivers at the Iranian border who Biffo met up with when he was released from jail but I later remembered that Fred actually worked for Grangewoods when he was running to Iran.

B.T.W. I downloaded this photo of a Dow Foden from the Internet some time ago and I have no idea why it looks to me like it has been stretched. I can’t remember seeing that tilt so it was either on hire or Dow bought it and refurbished it.

Regards Steve.

mushroomman:

robert1952:
Cheers! I wonder if those Dow Fodens with LHD had the 12-sp Foden 'box in them, of the 9-sp Fuller - just out of interest. Robert

Sorry Robert but I really can’t remember although at the back of my mind for some reason a Fuller Roadranger keeps popping up. :confused: I spent many happy hours over the years sat in the driving seat of Alan Morrey’s Foden while Alan cooked us a meal so on a very cold winters morning I was probably concentrating of the development of Alan’s fried Spam and Egg sandwiches. :smiley: If it’s any use then I remember that they only had one bunk which you could lift up and there was a decent size storage box underneath it.
One story that I would like to share with you is that Alan lived in Crewe and some of his relations worked at Fodens and E.R.F. in Sandbach. He used to drink in his local pub when he was at home which he shared with some of the mechanics from the Crewe railway sheds. When he got the Foden in 1979 which was the time that a lot of drivers were putting air horns on to their trucks he jokingly asked one of the lads if he could get him an air horn off one of the trains. A couple of weeks later when he was home he went into the pub and one of the lads said “I have got you one Alan, it’s in my boot”. Apparently it was a huge thing but the mechanic in the garage wouldn’t fit it for him saying that as soon as he used the horn all the air tanks would be become empty, the brakes would lock on and Alan would be catapulted through the windscreen. :laughing:
Now I mentioned this a few years ago on here and it seems that people did know other drivers who allegedly had train air horns fitted to their trucks with the help of an extra air tank that they fitted. So the question is did anybody else actually have one fitted themselves.

Just going back to an earlier post I wondered if Fred had been one of the Pan Express drivers at the Iranian border who Biffo met up with when he was released from jail but I later remembered that Fred actually worked for Grangewoods when he was running to Iran.

B.T.W. I downloaded this photo of a Dow Foden from the Internet some time ago and I have no idea why it looks to me like it has been stretched. I can’t remember seeing that tilt so it was either on hire or Dow bought it and refurbished it.

Regards Steve.

Thanks for that Steve! I do remember some air-horns being referred to as train-horns and like you, I’ve often wondered if anyone fitted a real one! Cheers, Robert

[/quote]
for that Steve! I do remember some air-horns being referred to as train-horns and like you, I’ve often wondered if anyone fitted a real one! Cheers, Robert
[/quote]
Hi Robert my DAF 2800 DKS 1974 had a set of original train two tone air horns, which I fitted, they never used any more air than a set of air horns later fitted by DAF Trucks. My wife worked in Waverly Station at the time and asked an engineer about them and he gave her a set.
They worked perfect and soon got cars etc out of your way. Pic of truck they were fitted on and a later pic of same truck on M/E work travelling to Saudi on H4

DAF 2800 DKS .jpg

Scotnat:

for that Steve! I do remember some air-horns being referred to as train-horns and like you, I’ve often wondered if anyone fitted a real one! Cheers, Robert
[/quote]
Hi Robert my DAF 2800 DKS 1974 had a set of original train two tone air horns, which I fitted, they never used any more air than a set of air horns later fitted by DAF Trucks. My wife worked in Waverly Station at the time and asked an engineer about them and he gave her a set.
They worked perfect and soon got cars etc out of your way. Pic of truck they were fitted on and a later pic of same truck on M/E work travelling to Saudi on H4

[/quote]
And great pics too! Happy Easter, Robert

Terrific 1972 film of the M/E run here:

youtube.com/watch?v=SRRmZme0QWo

Robert

Great vid, love the start up the Old Kent Road !

gr8 video :smiley:

not only astran :wink:
also dutch truckers

Scannen0004.jpg

bl-w F89 desert jpg.jpg

Tekno, the well known Dutch truckmodel producer, is interested in doing a model of the late Jim Hacking’s truck.

Therefore Tekno would like to come into contact with the current owner.

Is there somone on this forum who can give me info about (or that might lead to) the current owner.

Any name/adress info preferably by a pm.

Many thanks for any help

(I tried to contact the co that sold the truck on Ebay in 2012, but the emailaddresses were not valid anymore)

Atmospheric shot posted on the Saviem thread this week. Robert

Berliet-TLM12-Paris-Iran-vue-6-1.jpg

23517916_1637212409634797_2244578297644112275_n.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

Could that be O/D Robert Dods-Brown??

That was indeed his 140

David

David Miller:
That was indeed his 140

David

Met him a couple of times when I did a couple of jobs at his house. Didn’t know he was an ex M/E, O/D, until I saw his photo on here. Small world sometimes!

Old campaigners from the TIR-trail will remember those simple pin-and-slot tow hitches mounted on the back of tilt trailers to ‘daisy-chain’ colleagues out of the cack! Well, I had a pic of one of those I took when I was down the road, but I can’t find it anywhere. Has anyone got a convenient arse-end image of a trailer with one of these hitches?

cheers, Robert

Well ^^^^ the only one I can find is this one at the moment! Robert

tow0.jpg

Nice !