Middle East - Not Astran!

Yes Danne. It certainly looks like it. Many thanks.
Sandway.

No problem mate! It sure looks bettre with the tilt behind it if you ask me! But any how it looks good :smiley:

Danne

The Baghdad run?

Hi Gavin, I have been meaning to say thanks for putting those photos on. Did you check out to see if Aydin was still around.
There is a guy called Peter Blackshire who has started to put some excellent clips on YouTube, they are well worth checking out as I think that you are on one them, it might of been the Astran one. :confused:

youtube.com/watch?v=vTX47iWRto8

youtube.com/watch?v=xwCpMKvgHac

Regards Steve.

Just for general info,the first utube video.Pic at 22 sec was taken between H4 and Turayf in the desert,the Oryx truck was Pat Hawkes and the other truck was me.Pic was taken by Phil Llewellin in 1975.
Pic at 2min6sec was taken in queue to Gurbulak\Bazargan in 1977,Astran motor was Goeff Frost,waiting time was 3days.I was behind Geoff in queue.

skipvitesse:
Vosa■■?
who were they??
If you could drag it, then you dragged it
Didnt see that many STGO plates
Or outlandish Fee’s to go ‘Oversize’,
All part of a days work

Skip

Again, thanks for the photos Skip.

Spoke recently with Geoff Collins

Ginger is alive and well. He still sells cars in Middlesbrough.

Geoff is well retired, but still helps his son Tony with his business empire. Tony’s latest venture is the import of Chinese FAW trucks. He is going for the mid range initially and has type approval. The cab looks decent and the drive train is ■■■■■■■■ Fuller, Rockwell. They have the first vehicles in their warehouse now.

Anyway, back to the beam!

Ginger Mcneil was the driver of this slightly! overlength beam from Dammam port to Riyadh, 300 miles. Geoff went with him as second man. This was 1979 or 1980.

No support vehicles, just them.

Geoff says that Ginger was a superb driver and reversed this ‘double bottom’ into a dark tight space round a corner in one go.

Geoff says he couldn’t have done it and I know I couldn’t have, I struggled to reverse a ‘double’ in a straight line!

John.

Good to know Ginger is still around,

I followed down with crates on a flat and struggled to keep up, he didnt hang around,

Reverse was down an earth bank into basement of new building, if i recall correctly there was a dog leg approach at top,
He did it in one hit, impressive to say the least,
I once saw a guy reverse a tripple onto a loading bay in Australia, but that was on the flat in a straight line,
The basement drop was a good un

Glad photo brought back some memories

regards to all, Skip

Beam load would have been '77 or '78, i finished ME in 1978,
must check old passports for date of my last departure
Skip.

mushroomman:
Hi Gavin, I have been meaning to say thanks for putting those photos on. Did you check out to see if Aydin was still around.
There is a guy called Peter Blackshire who has started to put some excellent clips on YouTube, they are well worth checking out as I think that you are on one them, it might of been the Astran one. :confused:

youtube.com/watch?v=vTX47iWRto8

youtube.com/watch?v=xwCpMKvgHac

Regards Steve.

G’Day Mushy
How are ya ?
I’m glad that you enjoyed the photos, what a change eh ! No, I didn’t get a chance to see if Aydin was still around ! I was too busy eating and drinking in The Pudding Shop and walking round the Kapali Carci, freezing me cods off !! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:
Yes, that is me in the first video. I am parked up with Mark Stewart and Keith cant remember his sir name, he died in the explosion at the Wally Stop ! Me and Keith were on internals, Doha to UAE for about six months and we were parked in Qatar Navigation’s yard in Doha waiting for a load.
How are things down under ?
I’m heading to Doha on the 3rd Nov, still keeping me hand in, its a long commute from here !! :laughing:
Best regards
Gav

Here we go,
Just finished putting this together, only need a few straps for Ze Germans, good to go.

Do love an Actros down there…

Which way are you going Gavin :confused: Please keep us updated with a diary and some photos.
Will you still be using your old Dutch number plates. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
And if you are going through Mosul or Aleppo then I shall keep an eye out for you on Sky News. :laughing:
Best of luck Gav.

Regards Steve.

mr. gavin if you somehow pass from istanbul you know the adress :smiley: bon voyage :smiley:

bit of seventies comfort marathon m/e spec same as my uncle had on brs overland

We had a similar spec on the DAF’s we had at IT Holland\Afghan Int.

didnt see the daf m8 but uncle had 89volvo after marathon that was pretty nice went in em both as a 12yr old that was it hooked unfortunately :smiley:

didnt see the daf m8 but uncle had 89volvo after marathon that was pretty nice went in em both as a 12yr old that was it hooked unfortunately :smiley:

sorry for double post

PIE had the same set up in their DAF’s and Volvos.
No doubt Robert will come up with a piccy of the interior for us :wink:

stevejones:
bit of seventies comfort marathon m/e spec same as my uncle had on brs overland

There’s a new pic of one of your BRS Marathons on ebay. Robert

erty8.jpg

hutpik:
PIE had the same set up in their DAF’s and Volvos.
No doubt Robert will come up with a piccy of the interior for us :wink:

Pleased to oblige! The DAF 2800 set-up. Robert

PS2-thumb-385x484-110495.jpeg