Mercedes rear view cameras

We have one one our fleet - I don’t know any drivers who like the mirrors. All of us on nights hate them. All the bad comments above x 100 - I HATE them - they’re CRAP.

Can’t use them, as I’m long-sighted.

If I wear my normal driving glasses, which enable me to focus on things 1metre to 100metres away from me, I cannot see things <1m away unless I peer through the bottom half of my glasses, which I find myself doing (momentarily) for example, when I pop or insert my card. Hardly practical for looking at the tablet mirror right in front of me above the steering wheel!

The one on the kerbside - doesn’t present the same problem, as it is more than 1metre away from me.

It also isn’t practical to switch to my “office” glasses, which I need to wear to use a computer without getting a headache in short order (I’m wearing those as I type this, of course…) If I tried driving with the office glasses on, I’ll quickly get a headache from squinting at the road ahead, although at least I can still see and drive OK.

So I’ve opted out of driving tractors with these mirrors on then, unless it is just the solo tractor, as I won’t need to peer into the tablet to try and see where my arse end is going in “Solo” mode. I’ll collect tractors from the workshop for example, but not go and collect a trailer with the same mirrorless cab.

I’ve been told “I’m not the only one” which is some comfort, as there have been times in the past when if you say something like “I cannot manage this” when on agency, the phone quickly doth stop ringing… :frowning:

I use them daily

I find they give better visibility in the dark

But all negative points already covered I agree with

The single spot of rain wipes them out (you just get a blurry mess) is a massive oversight by Mercedes, worse in the dark with glare from headlights

Came across one on demo when they first came out, the Merc rep was with the driver so I asked the obvious question; what happens if the computer fails?

Apparently somebody from the nearest Merc dealership comes out with a pair of clip-on mirrors which you use to get you to said dealership; where, if it’s like anything else Mercedes, you’ll probably be stuck for a couple of days awaiting parts.

I wouldn’t want it to fail in the middle lane of a motorway, that’s for sure!

I’d also like to know how susceptible the camera arms are to low branches and the like; in my previous job at Forfarmers this was a daily hazard and I don’t know anyone who does farms or any rural stuff who has never bust a mirror.

Very clever kit, but to my mind a solution looking for a problem that doesn’t really exist. Yes they might cut down on drag but I doubt by as much as Mercedes claim.

One question for the manufacturers; given that many cars now have retracting door mirrors, why has nobody in the commercial world come up with some system to retract a nearside mirror with the push of a button (to avoid tree branches etc) or at least some way to push them back out without climbing across the cab?

Unfortunately this is becoming the norm now. New Daf, MAN and Scania all have cameras now. Some are optional some are not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Born Idle:
I drive one. Today, with the sun very low in the sky and a bit foggy around the Hereford area, there was a lot of “glare” when the camera was at the right (or wrong) angle.

They seem to have solved a problem that didnt exist with a worse solution.

The camera quality is ■■■■ poor, at night and in bright sunlight its very bad.

Rain often blurrs the image.

Reversing onto bays with guide bars is a nightmare.

You can set them to the length of the trailer so you know its safe to pull in, so its not all bad !

We have a couple at work, but you can only use them if you’ve had “the training”.
For the first few weeks, they wouldn’t put them onto night runs, and day drivers tended to be the clique, lording it over all others.

Dav1d:
We have a couple at work, but you can only use them if you’ve had “the training”.
For the first few weeks, they wouldn’t put them onto night runs, and day drivers tended to be the clique, lording it over all others.

What, '‘lording it over you’ because they had mirror cams?^ :open_mouth:
What sad ■■■■ lives they must lead if they see this as summet to boast about. :unamused:
Ffs ! :laughing:

Btw I see DAF have started fitting these abortions also on some of their models.

‘‘They are a vast improvement to standard mirrors’’
(Said no one EVER )

Dav1d:

Sounds a bit like our experience when we got a brand new Renault unit. Some of the bolshier regular trunk drivers declared that they wouldn’t be driving it until they’d been trained on using the electric park brake (these are the same drivers who insist on always using “their own” unit and woebetide any shunter who dares to put the “wrong” unit under their trailer). Some of them still turn their noses up at being asked to use it.

Suits me and one of the night drivers - we’re both happy to drive it as it is more roomy, more comfortable and pulls better than the 6 year old MANs they all insist on using.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

robroy:

Dav1d:

What, '‘lording it over you’ because they had mirror cams?^ :open_mouth:
What sad [zb] lives they must lead if they see this as summet to boast about. :unamused:
Ffs ! :laughing:

Btw I see DAF have started fitting these abortions also on some of their models.

‘‘They are a vast improvement to standard mirrors’’
(Said no one EVER )

Lording it because they were day drivers AND had ‘the training’ AND were office faves.
That was over a year ago now and the mirror trucks have a few battle scars now too.

merc0447:
Stupid idea and totally agree with above tech for tech sake improving nothing that currently exists. Trying to sell more trucks but running out of gizmos so invent this [zb].

what happens if the camera goes wrong… truck parked up because of no mirrors! Stupid idea! :smiley:

Lennoxtown:

merc0447:
Stupid idea and totally agree with above tech for tech sake improving nothing that currently exists. Trying to sell more trucks but running out of gizmos so invent this [zb].

what happens if the camera goes wrong… truck parked up because of no mirrors! Stupid idea! :smiley:

It’s a call out to Merc,if they can’t fix it they’ll stick a pair of temporary stick on mirrors,Two of ours failed out on road and went into Limp mode drivers said,I’ve used em and hate them,fortunately mine got replaced with a MAN who haven’t started with this crap yet.

DSMRookie:
Unfortunately this is becoming the norm now. New Daf, MAN and Scania all have cameras now. Some are optional some are not.

Have noticed over past few months some new cars wih camera’s instead of wing mirrors.
I fear it’s the future…

edd1974:

DSMRookie:

Have noticed over past few months some new cars wih camera’s instead of wing mirrors.
I fear it’s the future…

Audi E tron has an option for cameras instead of mirrors, priced at £1,250