Mental health and driving

We’ve had these threads beforehand, and when I have commented (and through my own admitted ignorance of the subject). I have had the wrath of Lucifer chucked back at me from others calling me crass, unsympathetic and all the rest of it when stuff like this is discussed.

Can I fully admit I do not understand anything about mental health issues, the most I have read into it is stuff about ex servicemen and shell shock as it was once called, then PTSD.
It must be a bloody awful thing and I respect the hell out those guys for life changing suffering caused by serving their country.

I should maybe not comment on other type of mental issues as I neither have knowledge nor understand anything about them, but this is a forum and I’m entitled to…so apologies in advance if I ■■■■ anyone off.

Everybody deals with ■■■■ in life differently, and maybe because of the way I am able to deal with stuff myself, reflects my ignorance on the way others do.
I personally in life have had the same crap chucked at me as everybody else, but on top of that I have suffered financial bankruptcy, loss of my home and at same time trying to provide for a family and all the grief that brought, which was the lowest point of my life. (Well over it now btw, but will never forget it)
I’m not saying I’m better than anyone else, but I just got my head down, dug my heels in and got on with it, and in life in general and in most cases, I’m in the fortunate position of having nothing that phases me, so based on that I rightly or wrongly find it hard to understand how others react differently.

My initial thoughts are along the lines of pull yourself together/get on with it…(yeh it DOES sound crass and unsympathetic, and maybe ignorant to some… :blush: ) and I suppose it must be difficult for those who can not.

Genuine question though…Is it mental health stuff, or state of mind, attitude and methods of approach to problems (or lack of) or are they all the same thing?
The latest modern thing is bi polar, is EVERY case genuine, or a bandwagon that many attention seekers jump on…I know of at least one personally who seems to use it as an excuse not to work, and who has always been a dramatist attention seeker for as long as I’ve known him

Again apologies in advance…but we have one guy saying he’s been diagnosed as a manic depressive :open_mouth: , and another saying he attempted suicide.
I admire these guys for both admitting it,.and trying to help them selves, but the elephant in the room is asking is …In cases such as that, is driving a bloody great 44 tonne truck with all the potential negative and tragic scenarios that could bring, an ideal occupation for guys who are susceptible to these type of serious (and unfortunate) issues. :open_mouth:

A guy with a heart condition or a diabetic is disqualified from holding an HGV licence, so what is the difference here exactly?
Again not trying to offend anybody, but I need help in understanding these sort of things, which is likely blindingly obvious to those who suffer from it.

As for the tramping thing, I ain’t surprised some are depressed as trampers the way they approach the job, which I have said (far too) many times on here before.
I would last about a month doing it the way some of you do. :unamused:

Crossy86:
Hello all and merry Christmas,

Basically, I have been trucking for a bit now and switched to driving to help with mental health as I couldn’t work in an office anymore.

Money is loads better and I love my job. I was wondering how any of you guys fit exercise in and stay healthy.

With regards to mental health I suffer with depression and have been for many years, just normal to me now.

Sometimes I wish I was with the family when I stop out but I know it’s supporting them at the same time.

Does anyone have any tips or coping mechanisms when they are experiencing low patches and how they can lift the mood again.

As said, I still stand by my decision to drive as I love my job, sometimes the hours can be challenging, I’m just interested to hear from experienced and of course non experienced truckers.

Cheers all

With no disrespect to you.driving is a way of life. the experience is. everyday is a school day. When your sat behind that wheel is the only way to get that experience.i call myself a lorrydriver.Trucker or 18teenwheller.is Amerianised (ie)convoy.10.4 gud buddy.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

gazsa401:
I was diagnosed as a manic depressive at the age of 29 I was put on medication by my GP who in turn had to notify the DVLA as it was then
I didn’t take the medication as I didn’t get paid sick pay other than the ssp
I had 2 young kids at the time so I couldn’t afford to be off work
I hid my illness for sometime and just got on with it so to speak
In 2012 I attempted suicide and was sectioned under the mental health act and diagnosed with type 2 Bipolar disorder and had my HGV license revoked
It took me a year to get my HGV license back I’m now nearly 50 and with the right medication and support I lead a near normal life
I have to have yearly assessments for my HGV license as the DVLA only issue me with a year long license
I find doing puzzles such as word searches and crosswords and other word games help me with my mental illness
I’m not ashamed about my illness as it’s an invisible illness such as diabetes and heart problems
From experience and a personal note be honest with yourself and talk about it all the best Gary ps happy Christmas and a happy new year

Thank you for sharing this,

You are very brave and honest.

Your feedback is great and I will try my best to adapt and make the best of everything I d.

Merry Christmas and a happy New year

I dont do many nights away any more as I recognised how unhealthy it was I was becoming…not just in fitness but mental health as well.

I now go to my local gym 4 times a week as well as circuit training on a wednesday night. It was the best lifestyle move I have ever done, my fitness levels have improved and my sense of “wellbeing” has shot through the roof. Im now at the point when I crave wanting to go to the gym to get the “happy juice” flowing again.

However on the rare night out I do I take great delight in shutting the curtains, putting netflix on the laptop and chilling and doing my thing but I certainly couldnt do it night in night out.

Even if you are away all week, I highly recommend joining your local authority gym/sports centre and getting yourself down there on a Saturday and Sunday morning. Your mental and physical health will improve.

msgyorkie:
I dont do many nights away any more as I recognised how unhealthy it was I was becoming…not just in fitness but mental health as well.

I now go to my local gym 4 times a week as well as circuit training on a wednesday night. It was the best lifestyle move I have ever done, my fitness levels have improved and my sense of “wellbeing” has shot through the roof. Im now at the point when I crave wanting to go to the gym to get the “happy juice” flowing again.

However on the rare night out I do I take great delight in shutting the curtains, putting netflix on the laptop and chilling and doing my thing but I certainly couldnt do it night in night out.

Even if you are away all week, I highly recommend joining your local authority gym/sports centre and getting yourself down there on a Saturday and Sunday morning. Your mental and physical health will improve.

It can be just seen as not being very socially in public not mixing with people not able to comunacate and not good company
Just mix with people socially even when tramping

Like member robroy I do not have any idea about mental health even though my own daughter has emotionally unstable borderline personality disorder BUT … it is great to see this issue being sensibly discussed on an open forum :smiley: which is something that was unlikely to happen a few years ago

Bigtruck3:

msgyorkie:

It can be just seen as not being very socially in public not mixing with people not able to comunacate and not good company
Just mix with people socially even when tramping

I know what you mean mate. When I go to the gym on Saturday and Sunday mornings its always the same faces in there and after a while I got to talk to them and have a laugh…it helps me have the “get up and go” knowing there are like minded people there.

I was diagnosed with ‘major depressive disorder’ in my late teens, but managed to pretty much overcome it by regularly exercising (boxing previously and now weightlifting).

I work an afternoon/evening shift and lift 3x a week before work. Like you, I’m quite new to this and mainly did it to escape office ■■■■■■■■. I was able to function in my office job but I now realise how on edge I was all the time.