Medical cannabis and HGV license

Speaking as someone who enforces rules for driving, licencing and drugs offences daily.

I have no instruction for any exemption under the Road Traffic Act that allows users of ‘medically’ prescribed cannabis or any other drug to be allowed to retain a licence and drive…period. As stated on the NHS website, it is only issued to for those specific physical conditions which means automatically you have one, your licence is revoked. If you need reading glasses you have to update the DVLA, what do you think will be their assesment of Cannabis?

There are no exemptions, basically if you are prescribed ‘Medical’ cannabis your licence will be revoked on medical grounds, the Doctor issuing it also has a responsibility to inform the DVLA - not reliant on you at all to do it voluntarily.

All Police forces have a roadside test for drugs, if positive you will be arrested. Another sample will be taken at a Police station to confirm what drug is present and it can test MANY types of drug. You will then be subject to a blood test to measure the amount and prosecuted.

I have arrested someone for continuing to drive after they have been disqualified on medical grounds, due to the pain killers she was using. We are sent a letter by the DVLA to check every driver that has been disqualified, this includes home and workplace visits to ensure they are following the rules. If you drive while disqualified the sentances can be quite severe (see p126 of the Highway Code).

To the OP I suggest that you contact the DVLA with your question rather than ask on a public forum.

Zac_A:

Juddian:
This thread alone will have registered alarm in many a traffic office up and down the land with TM’s who maybe up to now hadn’t given the possibility of similarly troubled drivers that might be currently working for them or apply for a job, the OP should be thanked for bringing this issue more out in the open.

It would be easy to have an amendment to the policy to cover people like OP but that would mean unnecessarily insulting guys who’re doing a good job.

If you put out a notice explaining why the changes are needed, you’ll find a far more positive reaction from the existing drivers worth keeping, and i applaud that you obviously respect your existing staff.
Just the same as random alcohol testing, no sensible driver is going to be upset about a random ping and having to blow in the device.

If you have a good operation and pay your drivers well, they’ll be a lot more hostile towards potential ■■■■ heads or druggies endangering their jobs than you ever would be, all you have to do is explain to intelligent people why its become necessary and the ones worth their pay will work with you, no one wants to see some isolated addict cause the possible complete ruination of an otherwise decent company.

Remember the operator employing that drunken driver who pulled over to have a sleep on the nearside lane at Newport Pagnell a couple of years ago? resulting in the horrific deaths and life changing injuries for so many poor souls in the mini bus, the operator never recovered from that incident and i believe has now sold out to the current big noise in food distribution.

Caerleon:
Speaking as someone who enforces rules for driving, licencing and drugs offences daily.

I have no instruction for any exemption under the Road Traffic Act that allows users of ‘medically’ prescribed cannabis or any other drug to be allowed to retain a licence and drive…period. As stated on the NHS website, it is only issued to for those specific physical conditions which means automatically you have one, your licence is revoked. If you need reading glasses you have to update the DVLA, what do you think will be their assesment of Cannabis?

There are no exemptions, basically if you are prescribed ‘Medical’ cannabis your licence will be revoked on medical grounds, the Doctor issuing it also has a responsibility to inform the DVLA - not reliant on you at all to do it voluntarily.

All Police forces have a roadside test for drugs, if positive you will be arrested. Another sample will be taken at a Police station to confirm what drug is present and it can test MANY types of drug. You will then be subject to a blood test to measure the amount and prosecuted.

I have arrested someone for continuing to drive after they have been disqualified on medical grounds, due to the pain killers she was using. We are sent a letter by the DVLA to check every driver that has been disqualified, this includes home and workplace visits to ensure they are following the rules. If you drive while disqualified the sentances can be quite severe (see p126 of the Highway Code).

To the OP I suggest that you contact the DVLA with your question rather than ask on a public forum.

Thanks for your advice. This isn’t as clear cut as I thought. I passed my medical yesterday and included all the information about the medicines I take. The Doctor said it should be fine but who knows.

My medical cannabis doctor said the law hasn’t yet caught up so there could potentially be hassles and inconveniences

My training has been paid for by universal credit so it would be a waste of taxpayers money not to proceed and get the license. If I can’t get employment after due to the medicines I take then at least I will have gained a license and skill and fulfilled my duties for my work coach

If the Traffic commissioner could give a definitive answer that would be great.

Caerleon:

I think you are incorrect about doctors having to tell the DVLA. I was on tramadol and codeine for the past 10 years and I’ve been able to taper off them with medical cannabis. If needs be I will swap back to them but are you saying they are also illegal?

I have just finished a late shift tonight and while tethering my boat aka waterlogged patrol car, I posed this question to our Traffic Desk - what I stated is correct.

I think you just need to declare that on your medical form before you submit it, if you don’t tell them and they check - bye-bye license! That big declaration box on the application form clearly states that and by signing it you open yourself up to prosecution.

As I said, we on this forum are not the DVLA, you really should be posing your question to them and the 100’s of Doctors that work for their Medical Department. All I can tell you is that from my side of the fence - you would test positive and fail a roadside drug test and be arrested for that offence, letters from your Doctor/Wife/Mother won’t stop it.

Check Driving with medical conditions, Blue Badges and transport for disabled people - GOV.UK

Caerleon:
I have just finished a late shift tonight and while tethering my boat aka waterlogged patrol car, I posed this question to our Traffic Desk - what I stated is correct.

I think you just need to declare that on your medical form before you submit it, if you don’t tell them and they check - bye-bye license! That big declaration box on the application form clearly states that and by signing it you open yourself up to prosecution.

As I said, we on this forum are not the DVLA, you really should be posing your question to them and the 100’s of Doctors that work for their Medical Department. All I can tell you is that from my side of the fence - you would test positive and fail a roadside drug test and be arrested for that offence, letters from your Doctor/Wife/Mother won’t stop it.

Check Driving with medical conditions, Blue Badges and transport for disabled people - GOV.UK

I guess I’ll find out if I’m approved for a provisional. I put on there the names of the cannabis I’m prescribed - Noidecs T18 & T14.

I don’t have a “notifiable” condition so I haven’t had to tell the DVLA about my medical issues but I guess they will assess my circumstances soon when they receive my D4.

Wish me luck!

This thread’s an interesting read, so interesting that I did a bit of digging and i think this makes it quite clear:

gov.uk/government/collectio … and-limits

As the law stands it appears to be an offence to drive any motor vehicle whilst you have more than 2µg of cannabis per litre of blood. I guess that this law mas made before prescription cannabis became a thing and the limit may well be revised to reflect this at some point in the future. The way I read it this limit applies right now for anyone.

It is interesting to note that limits are also stated for other prescription medicines which have been mentioned here and it appears that these limits apply whether the med it prescribed for that person or whether it is being used illegally.

Make of it what you will but I doubt that the OP will be (or indeed is) driving legally. Sorry but I think it’s better to know now than find out the hard way in future.

dekka:
This thread’s an interesting read, so interesting that I did a bit of digging and i think this makes it quite clear:

As the law stands it appears to be an offence to drive any motor vehicle whilst you have more than 2µg of cannabis per litre of blood. I guess that this law mas made before prescription cannabis became a thing and the limit may well be revised to reflect this at some point in the future. The way I read it this limit applies right now for anyone.

It is interesting to note that limits are also stated for other prescription medicines which have been mentioned here and it appears that these limits apply whether the med it prescribed for that person or whether it is being used illegally.

Make of it what you will but I doubt that the OP will be (or indeed is) driving legally. Sorry but I think it’s better to know now than find out the hard way in future.

Thank you kindly for your input - I think you are correct.

Don’t worry I haven’t been driving with cannabis in my system as I haven’t owned a car since last year - before I was approved for medical cannabis.

I guess the law is the law and I’ll need to stop using THC products until they amend the limits.

As I said from the start I’ll go back to using the traditional painkillers if needs be. I prefer cannabis as it has less side effects and but it is more expensive and it’s clear from this thread that some people still to this day, have a negative opinion on the plant

dekka:

Quite strange that you are allowed more heroin, MDMA or methamphetamine in your system than cannabis. This clearly needs to be addressed. In the 90’s I saw loads of people of their face on MDMA, you definitely wouldn’t want them on the road the following day.

I think I may be ok due to the following lines:

“How will the new laws affect you if you’re taking prescription medicines?
You should continue taking medicine(s) as advised by your doctor or healthcare professional, or according to the patient information leaflet that comes with the medicine.

The new law gives the police powers to test and arrest drivers suspected of driving after taking certain controlled drugs in excess of specified levels. It also provides a medical defence if you’re taking medicine in accordance with instructions from a healthcare professional or an accompanying leaflet, provided you’re not impaired.

If you drive and take prescription medicine, it may be helpful to keep evidence of this with you in case you’re stopped by the police.”

I’m prescribed 0.5g of cannabis sativa (noidecs t18) per night and 1 gram of cannabis indica (noidecs t14)

Unfortunately (but for good reason) some medical conditions, or use of medicines mean that some people can’t drive LGV or PCVs, that’s the angle i would look at it from rather than stopping a treatment that is beneficial, obviously you choose according to your circumstances.

around 4 years ago i spent 6 months on statutory sick pay while DVLA took their time deciding whether I could keep my licence after an incidental discovery of a medical condition. I also have a good friend on UC so I know life on benefits isn’t great.

Have a good look at what the limits are for other perfectly legal drugs you might use, although I don’t see how you would know without actually having a blood test (might be worth picking a suitable time and paying for one to be done).

Many years ago before I had kids (now in their 20s) I was a regular recreational user of cannabis so I don’t really have a negative opinion of the plant, other than to say it’s obviously dangerous to drive under the influence.

all the best

dekka:
Unfortunately (but for good reason) some medical conditions, or use of medicines mean that some people can’t drive LGV or PCVs, that’s the angle i would look at it from rather than stopping a treatment that is beneficial, obviously you choose according to your circumstances.

around 4 years ago i spent 6 months on statutory sick pay while DVLA took their time deciding whether I could keep my licence after an incidental discovery of a medical condition. I also have a good friend on UC so I know life on benefits isn’t great.

Have a good look at what the limits are for other perfectly legal drugs you might use, although I don’t see how you would know without actually having a blood test (might be worth picking a suitable time and paying for one to be done).

Many years ago before I had kids (now in their 20s) I was a regular recreational user of cannabis so I don’t really have a negative opinion of the plant, other than to say it’s obviously dangerous to drive under the influence.

all the best

Thanks again.

I have submitted a FOI request to hopefully get a definitive answer to this question.

whatdotheyknow.com/request/ … nd_driving

Does CBD do anything for you greenuser? Not as good as cbd with thc but try a week or two of 100-200mg of cbd throughout the day to build it up in your system.

They cant touch you for that.

2ug is like breaking wind 3 weeks ago and still testing positive for air pollution when you remove your underpants.

JeffA:
Does CBD do anything for you greenuser? Not as good as cbd with thc but try a week or two of 100-200mg of cbd throughout the day to build it up in your system.

They cant touch you for that.

2ug is like breaking wind 3 weeks ago and still testing positive for air pollution when you remove your underpants.

Yes I use CBD flower and find it very effective. In fact I have been so impressed with it I only use THC products at night now