McVEIGH & HUMBER McVEIGH

ERF:
What a brilliant thread!.
Thanks to all contributors - I have really enjoyed reading it.

Threads like this are what makes this site great!.

Cannot argue with that. It would be great if Mike Hallam could persuade his Grandad to fill in some gaps of the Lincolnshire haulage scene. My first memories of Grimsby were seeing Grimsby Express lorries in the shed at North Sea Ferries Hull. I used to do parcels deliveries around Grimsby and it was a lorry enthusiasts dream to drive around the fish docks and Pyewipe,

as a young lad I used to wonder what there was amongst those bright lights of Scunthorpe, Immingham and Grimsby across the River Humber

brideas:
Hi Dave, I actually started with them as a junior traffic clerk o 23rd oct 1972 a Mr Alcock was the Manager in those days & Dudley Morgan was director (chairman) of Hm also a guy called G. Hallam from which Grimsby seemed to be the Head office… Like I said I was taught everything by Frank what a man he was I remember a little quote he gave me which I have never forgotten & have recalled it over the years frequently he quoted to me “you treat your drivers right & they will treat you right” has always worked for me bless him (RIP) he was the making of me honestly…I also remember there was like a foreman Big stocky Bald guy who drove a little kinda Astra van of the day? can you remember him? omg those were happy days I learned a lot from both drivers & Frank which put me on stead for the Transport years ahead.Ps I was 16 years old at this time, Name was Brian pretty skinny lad with glasses & very Niave hehe…Thnks for replying hope you can remember some of this?? Oh Pps: I moved on & later worked for Jameson (Europa) at Cheetham Hill see my other post but when Frank moved i worked for Jameson Le Havre in France so missed him as I was there 3 years Do You Rememebr at Smiths Mr Gilmore (harold i think? his daughter was my secretary at Jamesons Sue Gilmore, I was there as a Groupage Clerk in Jamesons in reckon 1976 but had many a good laugh &with S of Madd as well I went to Edinburgh once in a Guy god when i got there I had a sore throat shoutin & was Deaf with the noise again happy days…Do you remember BRS just round the corner at C.Hill they had TSPT Manager called Pedro or a name something like tyhat & I bet you went in the pub just 2 doors up from the yard after work perhaps?

Yes,I always had a soft spot for Jacko,good guy,got a few boll…ings,but then over and done with,forgotten.

Yes Harold Gilmore,he was OK,a bit of a shifty character in my view,could have been worse I suppose!

Yes,I remember BRS,North St Cheetham Hill,I very nearly walked over for a job there once,when we were on strike at Smith’s,it seamed to drag on for ages,I was on night duty with a dozen others stopping all those that wanted access to the yard during the night,but I sat it out.

Oh happy days!!

Take it easy,

Rgds,

David :laughing:

Just to add a small piece of info to Steptoe’s post and photographs. The men stood in front of the three D800 artics are on Waltham airfield the site of Humber’s driving school.
I recognise the two men on the right, being instructors. The gentleman on the exteme right being Eric French who taught me to drive. The joy of mastering the Eaton two speed axle is still remembered!
Humber Mcveigh at their height were indeed a force to be reckoned with, you never travelled far before seeing one of their trucks.

Les zizis des routiers sont sympas.

Wheel Nut:
as a young lad I used to wonder what there was amongst those bright lights of Scunthorpe, Immingham and Grimsby across the River Humber

:laughing:
Well,there was Immingham Storage,Fisons,Tioxide,Appleby-Frodingham,Bitmac,Nypro (pre 1973),Lincoln Castle on the Hull-New Holland ferry,Conoco,LOR and lots,lots more.
Oh,and Grimsby Town F.C. who I used to watch in the 50s when I lived in Louth.
“Up the Mariners”. :smiley:

Hi I used to park up in mc veighs depot when delivering glass to Kalsons next door in the 60s,I did a lot of trips over to Rotterdam in the 80s from Immingham ,Johnnie Onions was very often on the ferry, bit of a character,good times Cheers Ted.

LordDerby:
: Humber McVeigh Transport

Had Depots in the following Towns & Cities

Alford Bulk Transport
Avonmouth General/Refrigerated & Warehousing
Boston General Haulage & Warehousing
Cardiff General Haulage Mainly Steel
Colsterworth General/Refrigerated & Warehousing
Grimsby Head Office General/Refrigerated & Warehousing
Hull General/Refrigerated
Immingham General Haulage & Warehousing
Liverpool General Haulage
Lowestoft General/Refrigerated & Warehousing
Manchester General Haulage & Warehousing
Market Deeping General Haulage
Poole General Haulage & Warehousing
Scarborough Refrigerated Haulage
Sheffield General Haulage Mainly Steel
Swansea General Haulage Mainly Steel

The Boston operation started in 1972 from the phone box at the entrance to Boston Dock from this vantage point Terence W. Bowler (Terry) was able to look after the Bulk shipments for Alford Depot and their subcontractors. A local shipping agent “Read & Sutcliffe Ltd” requested we take care of shipment of steel coils for them; this was the birth of the Boston Depot. Soon after a Portakabin arrived it was placed on the Dock, a few weeks later Mr Lol Skinner joined the ranks as foreman, we had tractor units from Alford Depot as shunters in the first few months.

To cut a very long story short after about a year with the Clearing House operation expanding all the time Mr Don Burkitt (Bucket) traffic coordinator and Mr Ralph Baxter (Bern) was now the local shunter, all three were brilliant to work with and drink with.

Just before Christmas 1973 negotiations had started with H. Epton & Sons Ltd, Punchbowl Lane, Boston. By January 1974, the Boston Depot for Humber McVeigh was opened, there were three Epton boys, Marshall he was the oldest Albert looked after the Swedish Exports and Jonny Epton. Jonny was a strange bloke, always trying to stab people in the back, he always wanted to tell tales he was truly like a child. All three had been given jobs within the Boston operation, to tell you the truth only Albert gave a fair days work for a fair days pay.

Warehousing:- There was 48000 sq feet of good first class Warehousing at Punchbowl Lane, operated by Albert Epton (Exports) Charlie Ulyatt (Warehouse Foreman) Pop Panton and Biscuit were the forklift drivers.

Epton’s had a mixed fleet of units ERF’s and Atkinson’s about 9 in all, with Gardner Engines 2x240 + 7x180 along with a couple very old shunters on the docks with no doors.

After a time the Road Units increased to 20 plus that included 6 Volvos from Lowestoft Depot with day cabs the rest of the fleet was made up with Atkinsons and ERFs all with Gardner Engines. The Dock shunters now 6 of them were Atkinsons with 150 Gardners in them. After the first of trading Boston Depot expanded again with an additional 20,000 sq feet of warehousing along with a Warehouse Manager Mr Patrick Butler he looked after everything to do with the warehouses under Boston. Now Boston Depot was turning over some months the same amount and more than the Grimsby Depot Head Office was doing.

More expansion for Boston Depot, Terry the Manager sat with accountants from the cold store division to devise a computer system for the whole of the Humber McVeigh, one of those accountants Sam McGowan would say if General Motors can turn out a Profit and Loss within three days, then Humber McVeigh Ltd, should be able to do the same. Now with the new systems in place more office staff was needed, with accounts staff, traffic clerks and receptionist meant we needed a new office, so we took over the vacant customs office overlooking the dock, an ideal site for a port operation.

Now, Boston Depot was set up to take on the World, so to speak, this little depot turned over the same amount as the Grimsby some months. The Manager could find work anywhere and everywhere, he was a genius at his job, he had diesel running through his veins. Being an ex-driver he could show the Guys a thing or two about sheeting and roping, and he was also a human satnav.

Geoff Hallam one of the founding fathers of Humber Warehousing, and subsequently the Managing Director of Humber McVeigh Ltd, became ill and of course had to take some time off. With a seat being empty at the top it didn’t take the accountants long to get rid of him, and the newly recruited Jim Holt into his place, unfortunately he was not fit for purpose an idiot in fact. He only was in his job for the best part of 12 months or so when the Boston Depot Manager saw through him and left the Company.

Sam McGowan, accountants and the bean counters from London and the cold store division ruined a truly great Company. Humber McVeigh Ltd would have been a force to be reckoned today, if only those in charge of Associated Fisheries, London had done their jobs in a correct and proper manner.

By Terry Bowler (Boston Depot Manager)

Thats an awful of info , i sm very grateful for you taking the time to enlighten us all many thanks
billhead

Lawrence Dunbar:
I remember them im nearley sure the took Cusick Transport over & had a depot in Langley Road Salford the used to deliver bales of Danish bacon in Manchester to a firm in Ancoates Street Ladefoged &Co it was a quick tip they had an overhead monorail crane 3 bales at a time one of the easy tips in those days Regards Larry

Cusicks Manchester, first time i have come across this firm, anyone know anything about them??

Not one of Humber Warehousing finest moments was in 1964 when this Leyland Comet came to grief at the Newport Arch in Lincoln.
The only original Roman arch in the world still open to traffic, and regarded by many as a national treasure, this accident must have cost Humber Warehousing’s insurance company a fortune.
The picture below shows Newport Arch as it is today.

POSTED ON BEHALF OF GEOFF HALLAM

I read with great interest and fond memories some of the lovely comments and old photographs of both Humber Warehousing and Humber McVeigh Transport and Terry has filled in a great deal about the history of the company on here already. To all of the drivers and staff who have worked for me over many years, I would like to say to you all a very sincere and heartfelt thank you for the following companies that I was involved with, which were

Ingham Agricultural Services Ltd
Humber Warehousing Company Limited
Humber International Transport Services
Humber Ireland Transport Services Limited
Humber Warehousing Group Limited
Humber McVeigh Tranpsport Limited

Thank you for all the hard work you put in over the years to make all of these companies the success they were, as Terry has stated in 1976 I was taken seriously whilst travelling round the Irish meat companies and was in hospital in Ballinasloe in Ireland for some long time, when I eventually got back to England I had to go into hospital in Hull for a further long period of treatment at the end of which I had to retire on Doctors orders, and was extremely sorry to have been able to say a proper goodbye to everyone.

Eventually, I got over my illness and returned to the industry, working for a series of companies as a consultant and eventually forming my own transport company, Geoff Hallam Transport Services Ltd, in the late 70s, this I sold out after about 8 years and moved onto further consultancy work. I still occassionally see drivers and office staff from the old days and keep up to date with the latest news. I am still very interested in the transport industry and my life has been devoted to it and it is thanks to all over my staff and drivers over the years that I have been able to develop such wonderful companies. Without a team of good, loyal and hard working drivers no transport company can exist, and in my experience a company is only as good as the drivers it employs.

To Terry Bowler and any of my other drivers who read this I would love to hear from you again and if you message my Grandson Mike Hallam at michael-hallam1@sky.com he will pass my details onto you.

Once again my thanks and sincere good wishes to you all and my thanks also to those who have since passed on, may they rest in peace.

Geoff

Geoff Hallam JP, FCILT
Former MD of Humber McVeigh Transport

About 50 years ago I used to load Bacon and Butter out of the Royal Dock at Grimsby. The bacon was whole pigs wrapped in hessian and loaded straight onto the deck then roped and sheeted like any other load. The butter was in wooden barrels again loaded on the normal flatbed and sheeted. I used to deliver to Co-op stores starting Chester then on through Wrexham and North Wales up to a dozen drops. I remember a McVeigh shunter at the time, I think his name was Les, he only had one arm but still roped and sheeted with the best. regards Big Al