Maximum weight I should be handballing?

Tipper Tom:
Can you lift it and carry it safely where it needs to be?

If so atop moaning.

I think the French say 35 kilos but we know what they’re like

Don’t listen to this guy “if you can lift it stop moaning”

Weather u can bench/squat 100kg+ or not. The limit set in uk manual handling is 25kg, if u injure yourself lifting anything heavier you don’t have a claim, they will probs discipline you for attempting it. And back/disc/cuff damage can be life long don’t be a hero mate sounds like they are taking the ■■■■

Cheers Ryy,
Found out yesterday that you have to watch out for over-enthusiastic help too!
I was using my pallet bogey to offload a pallet of rocksalt (c.250kg) for a domestic delivery, and after getting it off the tail lift, I was pulling it, under control down his drive, which is on a slight slope down towards his house/garage. The customer must have thought I was struggling to pull it, as he says ‘I’ll give you a hand’ and pulls it as hard as he could. You know what those things are like if you loose control of them, and it was heading for his car. I managed to stop it, but my back was slightly twisted as I was applying force to the bogey, and I can feel it really tight in the small of my back today!
I wasn’t impressed, but managed not to say anything I would regret…

toby1234abc:
With a trolley pump truck it is 500 kg’s or half a ton.
Anymore than that a one ton pallet should be split down to two pallets.
On farm drops the farmer will have a bad back or be at the market when he knows a handball is on the way.
He will leave a note “Please unload the ten pallets behind the barn”
The regular drivers do it.
Over pebbles or a shingle drive and the pump truck is useless.

Now this really struck a chord with me. I was dispatched on my lonesome the other week (agy) to do several drops out in the back of beyond, and quickly concluded that Id been royally stitched up. The regular 7.5 driver was rather curiously given a van multidrop that day, and now I absolutely know why. The addresses/postcodes I was expected to find were laughably vague and inaccurate, and the various premises would have been no harder to locate had they been encased in lead, and buried. Even with a pump truck on board, I genuinely struggled with some of the pallets just to get em onto the tail-lift (Im a mere 10st). Some were too big for the platform and I had to gingerly overhang them just to get them off the truck. Single track lanes with absolutely nowhere to safely park, and as mentioned above, thick muddy, rocky tracks to offload rendered the trolley useless. Had to strip the pallets and handball, which took ages. Add to that "where are you know" calls every half hour and more equally crappy extra jobs being added at zero notice throughout the day. Im not expecting to ever be wrapped in cotton wool, but I finished the day ■■■■■■ off and angry at the spectacular logistics fail that Id been lumbered with. Agency driver abuse at its finest! Pleeeease tell me it gets better??

Ryy86:

Tipper Tom:
Can you lift it and carry it safely where it needs to be?

If so atop moaning.

I think the French say 35 kilos but we know what they’re like

Don’t listen to this guy “if you can lift it stop moaning”

Weather u can bench/squat 100kg+ or not. The limit set in uk manual handling is 25kg, if u injure yourself lifting anything heavier you don’t have a claim, they will probs discipline you for attempting it. And back/disc/cuff damage can be life long don’t be a hero mate sounds like they are taking the ■■■■

Complete and utter tripe. There is no such “limit set in UK manual handling”

Depends on the pay I’d say. I’d hand ball tons of manure for the right money :slight_smile:.

The 25kg figure is a guideline-only figure, no one can tell you you MUST lift that.

It’s issues like this that drivers should really complain about, not the usual favourite whinges.

If your basic HGV entitlement is all you’ve got, I’d suggest getting qualified for something more (hiab or ADR) if you want to avoid excessive manual handling.

Old thread, but a timeless theme.
Seems like some members have been on about this for ever. :grinning:

Anyways a 2020 UK H&S guide:

Looks like a max of 25kg, only up to the waist, and only for men. Women are recommended to lift no more than 3kg when seated.

Eeee when I were a lad…

I tried free weights and could bench 60kg no bother. Apparently for some people this takes some months to reach. I figured that I don’t need to bother training in that case. Or does it not work like that?

In any case, the new site does seem to encourage old threads getting new posts added.

it all depends on the situation. First 7.5 tonne job i had i could pull 4 50 gallon drums of oil on a pallet along level ground all day however if there was a slight incline i was knackered this is why i always hated general work customer and office would lie about help/forklift at the other end then you get there and its some lady in high heals and no forklift it turns into a case of sorry i cant deliver this and back it does

I don’t believe you did them single handed? Surely?

Edit: ok I’m not waiting on an answer, 10 years later :joy:

Washing machines / fridge freezers are generally a two man operation, but you can get powered sack barrows that are designed to climb stairs.

In terms of flat packs, I have done this type of work in the past and almost always two man. Despite it being possible to put a 60kg+, 2m+ long flat pack on your back and away you go up the stairs, I generally took the attitude that any time you can save your back from unnecessary wear and tear, all the better.

Of course there are always the times you are paired with a numpty who will insist on taking said 60kg+ flat packs himself and insist you do the same, despite the fact that the company have sent two men for the very reason to avoid this.